Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Omega Fast Attack Vehicle "Tauntaun"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
640px-Gow-3-packhorse-render.jpeg

Credit: http://gearsofwar.wi...rse-render.jpeg
Intent: To create a relatively light and fast ground attach vehicle to pair with the LAAV
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Fondor TerraTech
Model: Omega Fast Assault Vehicle "Tauntaun"
Affiliation: Omega Protectorate
Modularity: Yes
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Durasteel
Description: The "Packhorse" was originally designed to be a cheap and relatively easy to build front line cargo hauler capable of ferrying large quantities of ammunition,rations and equipment to frontline troops fairly quick. It was armed with a OPR-2 on the drivers right side,so the driver could steer with their left hand and fire with the right,and a OPRC-1 on the passenger side. These were added for the protection of the crew in case they got pinned down. It wasn't until a crew of Pyre soldiers mounted weapon mounts on it was it noticed as a good assault vehicle. The soldiers took all the cargo out and added three extra gun mounts,one for a E-Web on the top of the cab and two for OPRC-1's on the side of the bed. Once this was done and all the cargo was removed,it was found that the "Packhorse" could travel almost over 100 KM/H and traverse hard terrain,this made it a perfect canidate for a FAV,or Fast Assault Vehicle. This vehicle doesn't come without its downsides though,one being that it is lightly armored due to the fact it relies more on speed than anything else,another is that the driver and passenger and completely exposed. Though this vehicle has speed on its side,it has a large profile,attracting fire when it travels.

Role: Fast Assault Vehicle
Height: 1.2 Meters
Length: 5.5 Meters
Width: 3.4 Meters
Weight: 10 Tons
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Propulsion: Wheels
Top Speed: 60 KM/H (Cargo,Fully Loaded) 100 KM/H (Cargo,Unloaded/Assault)
Armaments: 1x OPRC-1 (Mounted,Passenger Side) 1x E-Web (Top of Cab) 2x OPRC-1's (One on Each side of the Bed) (Last Two only on Assault Variant)
Passenger Capacity: 1 (Cargo Variant) 8 (Assault Variant)
Cargo Capacity: 1.5 Tons (Cargo Variant) 500 Kilograms (Assault Variant)
Misc. Equipment:
  • Front Mounted Ram
  • Weapon Mounts (Driver Side,Passenger Side,Top of Cab and Sides of Bed)
  • Comm System
  • Tracking Beacon
  • Storage Crates on the Side
  • First Aid Kit (2)
  • Survival Kit (2)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Noah Corek"]
Alright, I'm going to be honest with you here. I have a few major issues that even I was surprised I had, so let's get to work.

First off, please link the weapon systems in use for me if you can. It'll make it easier on me personally so I know the weapons are MGs and not a 155mm howitzer or a 380mm rocket or something. I'm sure they're MGs so I'm not too worried, I'm just wanting to be thorough here.

Next on the list, the driver's gun. Tank drivers often do have control over hull mounted weaponry for three reasons. First, it frees up a weapon from the gunner and commander. Second, the weapon is usually fixed forward and aimed from the same vision port that the driver steers from, making it simple and easy to aim and use while driving. Third, if the situation warrants the driver to engage with the mounted weapon, generally speaking, the current events are bad enough that it no longer matters what the vehicle hits in the time the driver is distracted from driving.

Now, I'm assuming that the driver's weapon is fixed. If it isn't and it's a pintle mount, you're facing two problems, one of which will occur regardless of the weapon mounting. First, you have a distracted driver that can and will hit things. It's like texting and driving. You reach over to fire the weapon, glance to double check if you hit, and BOOM, straight into a wall or ditch or landmine. This is a danger regardless of a fixed or pintle mount. Second, what happens if you hit a bump while driving? Unless you have a governor to prevent muzzle depression, you've now put a bunch of holes in your engine compartment or, if it goes all the way around, in you, your passenger, or anyone in the vehicle or around it.

I'd suggest a fixed mount or dropping a driver weapon entirely. If he must have a weapon, he might wanna carry a personal one.

Last one I'll discuss for now is the width. Personally, I work in an ambulance for forty hours a week. The cab itself is about 2 meters in width, which since the ambulance is based on a Ford Truck chassis, it's the same size as a regular car cab. I'd suggest researching how big most military grade, heavy hauling trucks are and getting a bit more accurate estimate on width if you're going to use that picture, simply because I've played Gears and that vehicle is pretty wide set. Which also brings into the issue that you're gonna have a very large profile. That means you're going to take a lot of fire very easily because you're now easier to hit. That means these trucks will die in the field very easily and very quickly. Lightskinned cargo haulers are rear echelon for that very reason.

@ me when you're done and we'll go from there.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
@[member="Noah Corek"]
Alright, looks good, just one thing I'd like you to add is what I mentioned before with the large silhouette. For this type of vehicle, you'll find that to be a pretty glaring weakness which, honestly, you could drop the exposed cab crew (Driver and passenger) as it's more of an add on. Like I said, a large silhouette and little armor means this thing is easy to hit and penetrate the armor, meaning it's probably going to have a much higher casualty rating. That said, so did Jeeps in WWII and subsequent engagements and those drivers were pretty well known for being... well, crazier than usual.

@ me when done and we should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom