Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Old Friends and New Problems

Outfit | Weapon | Appearance
div1.png

It had been quite a long time since she last saw Kain Aldore Kain Aldore — it was back on Onderon when she helped him look into his past and learn more about his parents. But he had also offered to help her at the time, albeit with a very different kind of problem. A parasite within her, created by Maw scientists, had almost been able to kill the Jedi Master but other unfortunate events had somehow killed the parasite and left her cured of her illness. It meant that she never ended up calling for his assistance to tackle the issue, but she held onto his comm codes nonetheless.

Now, an entirely new kind of problem had come up, and one that required a good pilot as well. Valery herself had been in her starfighter many times to face off against her enemies, but flying larger vessels through dangerous stretches of space was something very different. Of course, she knew other pilots as well, but most of them were Jedi, and she couldn't always pull them off their assignments.

That, and this gave her a chance to meet an old friend again, so she rather quickly sent out her message.

Hey Kaine,

Valery here — I hope you've been well.
It has been a while since we last talked, but there's something I could use your help with if you're available. I've attached coordinates to the Jedi Temple I'm on currently, where I can tell you more about it and catch up.

Hope to see you soon!

-Valery

The Whirl of the hyperdrive came to a stop, Kain engaged sunlight and made his made planet side, New Cov and a friend were awaiting him, Valery Noble Valery Noble Had contacted him just days before and he jumped at the chance to help out. Looking over to a display, he re-read the previous message she'd sent. Thoughts ran through his head, what could she need his help for, more specifically there was a bit of anxiety surrounding the fact he was going back to a temple of his own free will... then at the message he'd replied with
Hey Valery!

Perfect timing, I'd just tied up some loose ends, I'll be there before the Hutt sings.

- It's me Kain by the way!
Followed by another message he'd just sent
Hey V.

Kain again, I just left the hyper lane, be there in a few!

-Kain... again.

Obviously... Shaking his head in shame, the ship broke through the clouds covering the temple, he pulled down towards a landing zone, one he presumed belonged to the temple, pulling back on the throttle, and yoking the nose upwards. It came to a halt, the landing suspension letting off a creaking sound that caused Kain to recoil, they'd need to be replaced soon. Walking through the main hall of his ship towards the cargo bay and boarding ramp, he hoped the alert that was sent to Valery when he dropped from the Hyperlane, would've reached her before he ran into anyone else

The black metal lightsaber and his custom blaster hung from the flight suit straps, and his leather jacket concealed them. There were definitely a few people about, some of them giving him a cross look, did they know who he was? No, he doubted Valery would've said anything, she seemed like a good person. Making his way towards the temple entrance, with a quick stride, trying to avoid others' gaze.

Valery had been walking along Temple Grounds when she received his messages and chuckled at them. If he had dropped from hyperspace, he was going to arrive any moment, so she quickly changed directions and made her way over to the landing pad, which was the only real clearing at the Temple. But while she walked, she sent a quick message back as well.

I'll meet you at the landing Pad.

-Val

It was quick and simple, but it would hopefully keep him near his ship. The temple was not the easiest to navigate through, and the last thing she wanted was for him to get lost on his first day here. Valery then made her way over and noticed him just outside his ship. Ground crews were giving him some looks because he wasn't what they were used to out here, but she smiled at them and when they realized he was here to meet Valery, most turned back to their work.

"Hey Kain, it has been a while," she said with a friendly smile after she approached him.

"I hope you've been well?"

Before Kain could get very far, his wrist com would shake slightly to the notification, a sigh of relief followed a quick glance. He spun around and waited by the Slaterunner, his gaze tracing the shapes of the temple, taking it all in. It had been only a short couple of years since he'd left and in that time, Kain would like to think he'd grown as a person, he wondered if it was the same for the Jedi. Though his pondering was cut short, Valery Noble Valery Noble walked over, and like a black-out curtain, the landing crews immediately banished Kain from thought, an amusing breath of fresh air left his lungs while walking over to Valery.

"Valery, it's been too long!" He returned the smile, nearly ear to ear, though he looked tired, dark spots had formed around his eyes, and his hair was messier than she'd previously seen it, bandages arose from his gloves and wrapped around his forearm, yet, despite all the indicators, there was still a proud and happy glow about him. "I've been good, super busy actually, taking on work helping refugees and victims of the Byrn... probably more than I should be. I've been between the outer rim and the core... twelve times in the last three weeks, but I'm helping people so, I haven't been complaining!"

Kain ran a hand against his scalp straightening the blonde locks. After helping Valery he went back to the mercenary gig, though instead of causing harm for credits, he'd been shuttling aid supplies from Dennon to several systems and stations in the former Byrn'adul territories, and even defending refugees from pirates. The job had begun taking its toll right as Valery contacted him, this would be a healthy break from the chaos.

"Enough about me, how are you doing?"

"It has been too long," Valery said with a warm smile of her own, "But you look goo- tired," she smirked and looked him up and down for a moment, taking note of the dark spots around his eyes and the overall messier look. But when he explained what he had been up to, it not only made sense but got her to smile wide again. With all the ongoing problems in the Galaxy, it was difficult to send enough people to worlds hit by the Bryn, so she respected his help there a lot.

"I'm glad you've been able to help so much, and you seem really excited about it too," she said with a chuckle, "Just... make sure you take enough time to just focus on yourself, alright? I know what it's like to get overworked." Yeah, it was something she still struggled with today, so it was a little ironic that she mentioned it to him.

But hey, he didn't really know that about her.

"I've been well, too. The parasite is no longer with me, I'm healthy and just... busy, although mostly with the war against the Maw," she said with a much fainter smile. The Parasite had nearly killed her, and the way she had gotten rid of it wasn't exactly a great story either, so she didn't want to drop all of that on him. "I can't complain though, and seeing a good friend again makes it all even better."

Valery flashed a smirk and gestured for him to follow her, "Do you want anything to eat? Maybe get some rest? I have a little assignment I want your help with, but there is no big rush. We can take some time, especially if you'll otherwise fall asleep on me on the job," she said with a teasing grin.

He'd take her advice but the whole reason he dove into work and helping others came down to his own need to find himself instead of coming up with answers that wouldn't lead anywhere. In a way, this all kept him busy and out of his own head, somewhere he didn't want to be, because inside was a sea of questions and concerns, and If Kain isn't careful he could drown in it.

At the mention of the improved health of Valery Noble Valery Noble , it seemed like he had been revitalized, grinning cheerfully at her while they began to walk. "I'm glad your hiker got off at the last stop..." The Maw however was an entirely separate issue. Kain wasn't a stranger to conflict and violence, he'd just prefer to have it be a last resort. though he understood the many issues with that sentiment as well, especially when it came to the Maw. he'd felt the tug of the dark side and could understand how most people would give in.

The mention of food definitely made him perk up a bit, he'd gotten some sleep before he arrived, but the exhaustion had caught up. He'd just need to work through it. "Food would be nice. don't worry about me passing out, I'm... good enough." a light laugh left him. "But seriously, I'm all good to go... speaking of which you haven't really given me much detail on the 'help' I'm donating." Making bunny ears with both hands and giving her a curious face.

Last edited:

"I'm glad your hiker got off at the last stop..."

Valery chuckled, picked up on his grin, and met it with one of her own, "Me too. It really pushed me to the breaking point, but I feel great now," she said before she turned and began to guide the way to the Temple's mess hall. Meals were almost constantly being prepared there, and she made sure there would be something for them.

But along the way, she did briefly stop when he said he was good enough. Her eyes narrowed, clearly not convinced, but she wasn't his mom so telling him to go to bed wasn't going to happen, "Uh huh..." she shook her head and rolled her eyes, but the smirk on her lips made it obvious that she was still very much amused.

"Oh it's just a piloting job... to a totallynotdangerous part of space," she smiled innocently and gestured to the mess hall ahead of them, "Seriously though, I could use a good pilot, and well, I figured it was a good enough excuse to call you up again. It has been a while, and catching up and tackling some issues together seemed fun."

She grinned and moved over to a table, "Anything in particular you'd like to eat?"

The breaking point, yeah that was familiar. Knowing she'd returned from it more robust than before left a good feeling in him. He'd gone past it and the point led to him leaving the order, and yet almost ironically, here Kain was walking back into a temple at the request of another. It was like a walk of shame, though Kain couldn't process why. The likelihood he knew anyone here was beyond ridiculous, let alone if they'd recognize him, the scrawny clean-shaven kid with a buzz cut was nowhere to be found, at least physically.

"Oh it's just a piloting job... to a totallynotdangerous part of space,"

His cheeks almost naturally recoiled, mouth opening slightly as if he'd just seen something a bit disturbing, culminating in Kain giving Valery Noble Valery Noble a suspicious look and proceeding to mock her playfully "Uh Huh- Kidding... I'll do what I can, and yeah, I guess catching up might be a bit of fun" He toyed as they passed through the halls of the temple, the scent of cooked food filled Kain's nostrils, any less sleep and he would've started drooling.

His eyes widened when she asked what he wanted, the blonde didn't know where to start, this was his first time in nearly a month seeing anything besides dried goods. "Steak... I don't care what kind, as long as it's hot, rare, and high in protein."He'd stood still looking at Valery like a kid waiting for permission to play in a jungle gym. Snapping out of the stance he cleared his throat. "Uh.. on a more... concerning... note, how 'Totallynotdangerous" is 'dangerous' on a scale of 'one' to 'trapped in a pit with a heard of rancors'?"

Last edited:

She rolled her eyes a little at his teasing and smirked, "It will be fun, the catching up that is... the mission itself, I'm not sure about yet," she said before they stepped into the mess hall, and she'd gesture for him to take a seat. He also told her what he'd like, which got her to grin a little more.

"Rare huh? You're not just looking to make enemies today, are you?" she joked before she finally dipped her head, "But it's coming right up. Just relax and it'll be right here, okay?" She was about to turn around to ask the staff to prepare their meals when she heard him clear his throat.

The question he asked was more serious in nature, so she nodded, "It's hard to say, it depends on whether or not we run into trouble along the way. It's either going to be very easy or... alone with 2 rancors in a pit type of dangerous. But don't worry, I wouldn't have dragged you into this if I thought it'd be too much for us to handle."

Thankfully having fun wasn't hard to do for Kain, long as he was in a cockpit it was typically a good time.

"If eating things alive wasn't frowned upon... I'd consider it" Valery Noble Valery Noble remarked about making enemies was on point, his father would always make fun of him for liking his food low-cooked. Honestly, he didn't care how it came out at the moment, he'd take homemade water at this point, anything that wasn't super processed sounded just sounded like heaven to the man.

"Well luckily for us, and unfortunately for the rancors, I bring canons everywhere so-"
A smile widened, he wanted to gauge her thought process. Hearing it could go both ways was a strong indicator, He'd want to hear more, but food came first. "Congrats Valery, you have a pilot" He was interested and had nothing better to do though admittedly, curiosity was once again pulling at his jacket, a feeling he knew all too well- and at the current moment, was going hook, line, and sinker.

He'd find an empty table while they waited for food.

Valery snorted at his comment and couldn't stop smiling brightly, although still with a slight shake of her head "Mhmm, this is the best you'll get," she chuckled and briefly made her way over to the kitchen to request the meals. With two glasses of water, she returned and sat down at the table he picked.

"We have coffee, tea, or other things as well, but figured I'd play it safe," she said before sliding over the glass. "And we might end up needing those canons," she continued, a smile of her own flashing through. The mission's most difficult part was actually getting to where she wanted to be, but what they were likely to find after getting there would be... a challenge.

"So hmm... have you heard about the hellhoop before? It's a very dangerous place to reach, and long ago ships disappeared there because of a cult in that region. Not long ago, there were reports of ships disappearing there again, and I was able to find a pilot to help me get in." She paused a moment and took a quick sip from her water.

"We were ambushed, and I couldn't exactly finish my mission there. So I was hoping you could take me, and help me finish the job I started. I already know a path through the asteroid fields, but they do shift around a little. That's why I still really need a good pilot."

"I'd take the caffeine, though water will definitely do...."

He listened to her slight briefing, cringing his nose when Valery Noble Valery Noble mentioned the Hellhoop, then nodded along with the rest of her story. Most might shy away, Kain however was grinding like a child who was just told to spend his free time in a playground. Shifting asteroid fields were a hazard most pilots would avoid, but when you're training for combat they become a helpful resource, one he'd partaken in a handful of times working with his former merc group.

opposed to her slight sipping he took a big drink and then thought about it a bit more, they were good in training, but when it came to practical application the story was a bit different. "If we're up against more nimble fighters the asteroids could make some good cover for our adversaries, vice versa, they would also serve as an excellent way to split up a flight group on our tail... giving us an ample amount of breathing room between marks."

Pushing his hair back he slouched into the chair taking a few more sips and setting the cup down, his hand then moved his jaw and scratched at the stubble that was regrowing. "Sorry, let me backtrack a bit, the field itself won't be much of an issue, especially with your route, and at least in terms of getting in and out, we should be fine. I've heard of the Hellhoop though I've never been through it myself."
Shifting his posture to lean into the table. "The Ambush... how many, what size ships?"

"You know, coffee is a good idea - you still look terrible," she smiled innocently but there was a mischievous smirk that came through quickly that made it clear she enjoyed teasing a bit. Valery then got up to make him some coffee, offered him the cup when she returned, and set aside what looked like a thermos can.

Just for along the way.

She then lowered herself into her chair and listened quietly to his thought process, which only further showed that he was the right man for this task. He was thinking ahead and seemed prepared to go into the hellhoop, even though he had only heard about it before.

"The ambush was only one ship, a freighter. It pretended to be in need of assistance with an emergency beacon and activated a tractor beam to trap me when I got close," Valery explained to answer his question. "The problem is that I feel there are more of them out there, and I don't know what other ships they have. I assume similar freighters though, so they aren't too dangerous in a dogfight."

"Wait really? I haven't looked in the mirror for a while" Kain replied sarcastically while stifling a yawn.

He took in her explanation of the ambush, and a part of him couldn't help feeling a bit envious of these attackers, not only had they sold their distress to a Master Jedi, but they also picked the perfect situation. A dangerous area of space, known heavy asteroid movement, and little to no traffic for the exact reason of how dangerous it was. He balled his fist and rested his chain against it, Kain was staring down the table they'd both sat down at like it stole his lunch money, playing over possible scenarios in his head.

A freighter using distress tactics was textbook, and it just so happens they pick the perfect place to do it, granted they wouldn't fall for it a second time, the slate runner was a light freighter, and while he'd definitely outfitted it far more than any Corellian model, he still only had a single gimballed turret and the two fixed front facing... however what she lacked in firepower she made up for in speed and maneuverability. two or three freighters shouldn't be an issue.

"Well, we should be able to make it work, in theory. How about after we deal with the ships?" He stood up and began to pace in front of her coming up with dog fight maneuvers. "Better I ask... IF we're engaged, are we- sending them to kingdom come, or am I disabling and boarding?" He stopped walking looking back to Valery Noble Valery Noble With a bit of concern, on one hand, it was simple, Kain and Val blow them to smithereens and leave their souls adrift in the vacuum. Yet, on the other hand, came the challenge of not just disabling one ship, but possibly several, and then attempting to fight their way through hostile territory more than once. "Either way works for me, kidnappers won't leave me up at night, yet if we want answers..."

Valery's eyes were drawn up when he stood up to talk combat tactics and paced around a bit. She just smirked and wondered if it was the coffee that got him this active all of a sudden, or if he was just a little worried and wanted to prepare. Either way, she listened carefully and nodded along, "If we're attacked, we defend ourselves. If it's possible to disable them, that's preferred because I can get information out of them."

She paused and ran a hand up through her hair before she leaned back into her chair, "But we have to remain realistic. If too many attack us, we can't exactly try to just disable them all. Ideally, they won't find us before we find them, though. I'm hoping that we can catch them by surprise and handle their threat before it can grow."

Sadly, plans rarely worked out as intended, so she was more than ready to adapt and change things up.

"It's going to be alright, either way. We got this," she said with an encouraging smile, hoping it would help ease his concerns a little bit.

"Right, realistic." Repeating the words to assure himself, thinking back to the den of thieves years beforehand. Cain and his late master had a plan for that, they even had a contingency, that went wrong in every way it possibly could have. As the food was brought out Kain forced himself to sit down

"Well, the most we can do is try. and if one ship is all we need then..." From what Valery Noble Valery Noble described they didn't exactly sound like a militaristic force, and if that was the case at least She and Kain would have the element of surprise, and his own skills in the cockpit. Digging into the food he couldn't help but make a face, the fresh texture was sent from the heavens and he was on the verge of tears, covering his mouth and mumbling while trying to swallow "ish soo guud-" indulging in his new meal a bit more after all the next few days would certainly be interesting.

Thinking back on the conversation as a whole, the ships weren't the part that bothered him, no it was the fact that after disabling one, they'd both be barging in and looking for answers, but he imagined the owners wouldn't be too happy about that, Kain was no stranger to ground attrition but they were playing on home turf. "I'm fine with the job, honestly I'm more concerned about boarding their ship. I'm no stranger to a fight but if I can help it, usually the event happens on my own terms." a crinkle of his nose as Kain took another mouthful of food.

"We really need just the one," Valery confirmed before she quietly watched him dig into his steak. It was very amusing for her to see, so when he looked back up to meet her gaze, the shit-eating grin she had couldn't possibly be missed. But of course, she was very glad to see him enjoying himself, and he needed the energy too.

"I'm glad you like it. I'll make sure some supplies are loaded into your ship before we leave, just so we have better food if we're out there for a bit." She definitely didn't feel like living off of ration bars and other chemical meals again. With just some basic supplies, she could cook up something far better.

In response to his concerns about boarding, Valery nodded in understanding, "Well it's also why I'm on this job — I won't have a problem dealing with the few barely trained thugs. It may be on their ship, but we do have skills they can't really take into consideration with their lack of experience handling Force users." The ambush had mostly been very easy to deal with, except for one particular situation she decided against bringing up.

It was unlikely to occur again, anyway.

"Before we leave, and after you've devoured your meal..." she smirked, "Is there anything else you need to take care of before we get going?" Maybe a long shower or a power nap would do him good?

"Gotcha, one ship no attention" Kain swallowed the last of the bite while cleaning his face it would become much easier without having to worry about third part incursions, the part about loading up food was music to his ears, the refugee help was simply a favor, any credits he made went to fuel, and the only way he got it was off pirates, so for now he'd take whatever Valery Noble Valery Noble was offering. Whether it was flavored ration or the prime time steak he was currently enjoying, though Kain knew what he'd choose given the choice.

Barely trained thugs, those words specifically echoed remembering quite vividly how his master lost her life. she'd said nearly the same thing, they walked into a den with a heavy repeater set up on the exit route... didn't matter how capable she or he had been, that situation could have only ended one way. "Regardless of what you and I can do, caution needs to be kept, I might be considered an ace but comparatively, my small freighter is no match for a cruiser or battleship. The case is the same on their ship, while we might be capable, who knows what they might be prepared for." His tone was serious, probably more than Valery had seen beforehand. This was no small matter for him, infact the whole event had a severe feeling of deja vu.

"A shower without recycled water would be nice. frigid and cold, enough to wake me up!"
a heavy breath left him as he took one last bite shoving the meal down his throat and standing up, and almost beginning to walk before he stopped looking at Valery "Hey uhh Val... where is the shower at?"

His tone growing more serious definitely didn't go unnoticed — something about this mission rubbed him the wrong way, and so she realized that downplaying it in any way was only going to make him more uncomfortable. "You're right, we'll be careful and approach this with caution. I promise," she said with a sincere smile before she watched him rise from his seat, now that he had finished his food.

"A shower without recycled water would be nice. frigid and cold, enough to wake me up!"

"Good idea," Valery said with a smirk and slight roll of her eyes before she reached for his plate so she could take it back. But before he left, he stopped and asked a question that got her to chuckle, "I'll show you the way."

After returning their plates to the kitchen, she guided him through the halls, up the stone staircase, and into a hallway with tons of doors on each side. She stopped in front of one and opened it, revealing a small room with a bed and other necessities, including a bathroom.

"Take your time and I'll see you in a bit."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom