Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Of Credits & Morality

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Below the Star Lounge…

Above her head, the Lounge was alive & bustling for the weekend, with credits streaming in from hundreds of patrons. Live music played, people danced, and alcohol & food were flying out of the kitchens. Ivory wasn’t too concerned with the daily affairs of the business; she had managers for that, and most didn’t even know her name. She was much more concerned with the daily affairs of the Family Business… In particular, the wealth of reports & data awaiting her review on her secure server.

A small glass of bourbon sat by her elbow, and a nearby ashtray on her desk held the still-smoking remains of a recently stubbed-out cigarra. Quietly in the background, music piped through hidden speakers in the corners of her office ceiling - filling the room with ambient, lo-fidelity tunes which were pleasing to the ear and relaxing for the mind. The lights in the room were dimmed, with a single small lamp on her desk illuminating her workspace; aside from that, a few of the small display cases in the beautifully-decorated space streamed out soft lighting, illuminating a collection of gemstones, an ornate death mask from a far-off world, a number of statues, and - unusually - a single curved-hilted lightsaber in a glass case. Behind her, a "window" showed the breathtaking beauty of the Coruscant skyline, giving off the illusion of being located high above the city when, in fact, her office was located deep within the bowels of the Uscru District. This particular illusion was accomplished through the use of a private camera set somewhere in the city.

The light of the holo-screen in-front of her illuminated her face as, with a look of focus & determination, she reviewed the words crawling across the screen.

Suddenly, a buzz from her closed door signaled an interruption - but likely, not an unwelcome one. There was someone outside, in the hallway, requesting entry into her private space. To reach the private inner-sanctum of The Family’s Coruscant headquarters, only one of The Family - or someone registered within their highly-secure biometric database - could access the concealed doorway within the Lounge’s dry-storage closet. After an exceedingly brief ride in a simple lift, one would find themselves within a maze of hallways & rooms; each well-decorated with hardwood & dark red paneling, with artwork lining the walls. This was The Family’s inner-sanctum - a place only they could tread without triggering a dozen security warnings & automated defenses. Ivory’s office, in particular, was located one further level down; down a flight of stairs, passing storage rooms, The Family’s secure Operations Center, and an armory who’s door would be shut against any form of intrusion.

The Donna sat back in her chair, taking a break from her administrative duties & switching off the screen to conceal whatever info it contained. Then, she tapped another switch - this one concealed under her desk - which would allow the entry to her office to noiselessly open.

She recognized, immediately, the figure standing on the other side of the door, and a look of curiosity passed over her eyes. She would appear relaxed & casual, dressed in a black dress with her hair un-braided & free-flowing down her back. Her violet eyes blinked, and she tilted her head to one side, greeting her visitor.

"Mr. Exel... What a pleasant surprise. Come in." She said, ready to offer him a seat across from her in a comfortable leather-backed chair.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

The Star Lounge Underbelly, Coruscant

It is a widely regarded ideal that Bounty Hunters, Mercenaries, and Hired Guns of any sort should never look deeper into the intrigues of their work. When one allowed a curious mind to run, there would often be complications of various kinds. Either sent on an endless chase for an uncertain truth, or silenced before a conclusion was ever reached. As such, the scum and villainy of the Underworld would often look the other way when they see events happening around them. After all, war was profitable. How harmful could it be, if it was only getting them more contracts in the end? There would only be harm in questioning what eventually brings you profit.

And yet, Samuel was not entirely that kind of man anymore. The name of Gorian was just that; a name, now. An alias. It was no longer ‘him.’ And he no longer intended to let the more uncouth ideals of his work dictate all of how he should act. It was true; emotions tended to get one killed. Hesitation caused issues, as his most recent exploit on Denon showcased to him once again, after being out of the game for such a long time. His trade was one that walked on the precipice between law, and lawlessness. Frankly, it was both at the same time. And now, it has brought him here. What he saw lay afore him was very likely to be an unfortunate encounter, yet an unavoidable one.

He was being a hypocrite.

He was dressed as he usually was when he tended the Star Lounge; with all of what he normally brought with him. He would’ve preferred his armor for this, but even then, it would do little. She already knew who he was, armor or not. And it would attract far more attention than he was keen on having. It was lucky he was used to the environment by now, but that would not be the case for long as he descended. The pale light from overhead lit the way to his destination. He knew roughly where everything was, yet it was the first time he had ever been down here. Preferred upstairs, usually. As he made his way, he eventually came to a halt in front of a door, his gaze flickering to a buzzer of which he promptly pressed. With that, his hands withdrew, adjusted his cuffs, his tie. Perhaps he wanted to look presentable, or it was just a nervous fidget. The next moment, the door opened and he was greeted.

“Ms. Stroud.” Came a greeting in kind, stepping across the entrance of the office. He briefly looked over the chairs as if to verify there were some kind of traps or some such hidden around them. Ever-paranoid, he sat down with his face wearing a neutral expression. “I have come looking for answers. On Denon.” He was straightforward with his words, for he saw little point in exchanging pleasantries for the moment. “Are you aware of the most recent events there?” Presumed she was, but he supposed it never hurt to check. If she wasn’t lying, that is.

Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
“Ms. Stroud.” Came a greeting in kind, stepping across the entrance of the office. He briefly looked over the chairs as if to verify there were some kind of traps or some such hidden around them. Ever-paranoid, he sat down with his face wearing a neutral expression. “I have come looking for answers. On Denon.” He was straightforward with his words, for he saw little point in exchanging pleasantries for the moment. “Are you aware of the most recent events there?” Presumed she was, but he supposed it never hurt to check. If she wasn’t lying, that is.

Her brow furrowed; not so much at his terse greeting, but the implications of what he said next. Her face impassive, she regarded him quietly for a moment - making direct eye-contact before shifting in her chair to face him completely. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on the surface of her desk & interlacing her fingers.

She should have known, eventually, that someone would start asking questions...

The truth was, she kept the majority of her people in the dark when it came to her private endeavors - for their safety, as well as hers. She'd suspected, upon verbal approval of his contract through Moonveil, that some inconvenient truths would come to light... but, his statement about "recent events" had her doubly concerned. Neither answering too slow or too quickly, she replied: "Only that there was a disturbance, attributed to Darkwire, and that CorpSec was inconvenienced to the point that they put the District into Lockdown... but, as for details, I'm afraid that I'm not up to speed."

It was true, she was an excellent liar... but, as best he could tell, she was being forthright.

The look on her face indicated that she was listening, intently, to whatever he had to say next.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

The eye-contact was reciprocated. Unused to this environment, he knew the supposed etiquettes, what one was supposed to do, all that. Like an interview, almost. Although this could’ve had higher stakes. It was hard to tell this early on.

As she stated her reply, he watched with an impassive expression still. He was not eager to give away whatever emotion he was currently feeling - if he could even describe it, that is. After she finished, he would adjust himself a final time, folding his hands in neatly in his lap. “Darkwire conducted a terrorist attack on public transportation. They tried to kill an Alliance Representative sent to hash out things with CorpSec over, from what I could tell, recent rulings. Her name was Valery Noble.” His gaze remained forward, steadfast for this moment. “I was contracted to bring her to safety. I was successful in this; but not before I had to deal with a particularly young girl trying to lead her astray.” He left it at that for the moment. Allowing her time to process what he just said.

Gauging reactions, reading social situations, these were things he was not the greatest at. Or, so he thought - with his recent experiences, perhaps he was getting better at them. Or it could’ve been in his head. Regardless, he was never one for these sorts of things in the first place. Firefights, and the like, were far more straightforward. Here? You could never truly know what someone was up to. So he would await her response, first.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
“Darkwire conducted a terrorist attack on public transportation. They tried to kill an Alliance Representative sent to hash out things with CorpSec over, from what I could tell, recent rulings. Her name was Valery Noble.” His gaze remained forward, steadfast for this moment. “I was contracted to bring her to safety. I was successful in this; but not before I had to deal with a particularly young girl trying to lead her astray.”

Ivory remained quiet for a number of heartbeats, then slowly leaned back in her chair. The springs creaked slightly, but she left both hands visible on the desk. Still, she watched him - evaluating him as he was surely evaluating her. A million thoughts flew through her mind as she considered what to say next - recognizing the gravity of the situation, and what, exactly, he was asking without asking.

When she spoke, her tone indicated she was making a statement, not asking a question:

"And you want to know what I had to do with it."

The Donna sighed, then regarded the bounty-hunter-turned-bartender with an expression akin to sympathy. She'd been in a similar position many times in the past to the one he now placed her in; whether to lie & claim ignorance, or whether to accept responsibility, regardless of what might come afterward. Amongst her colleagues throughout the Galactic Underworld, she'd developed a reputation for dealing fairly. Were such a question coming from anyone outside of their tightly-knit group, she would have chosen the former... but, at least when it came to Family, she preferred to shoot straight. It was this trait, in particular, that had made her a well-respected leader - unique amongst her peers, in-that she didn't lead directly through fear.

Sam was many things, but a fool he was not.

So, she chose the only reasonable option in-front of her.

"The plan was not to kill Valery Noble Valery Noble , it was to intercept her; to show her what the Corporate Authority has been doing to the people of Denon, and attempt to gain a sympathetic voice in the Senate."

The Donna shook her head, wondering where the plan had gone wrong. This news was not the kind she had been expecting.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

Samuel watched as The Donna grew silent. Even as the two sat across from each other, picking apart the nuance of the situation, he remained calm. Or, at the very least, he was able to maintain the visage of coolness that was necessitated for something like this. Even his mind was quieted, quelling wayward thoughts that might’ve otherwise interfered.

"And you want to know what I had to do with it."

His head tilted by a small amount, as if to wordlessly affirm this and prompt for her response in one mere motion. “Correct.” Still giving the audible confirmation regardless. He didn’t know how she’d respond, but he had a feeling she was debating what to choose. Would she simply refuse to answer? Deny it? Or give some vague sort of political jargon? All he was used to, in a situation like this. He did not know for sure if she was involved, but he had reasonable suspicion.

Then she gave a mildly surprising honest response. She wasn’t just involved, she was the one who orchestrated it. Meaning that, perhaps that girl he met was working for her. Seems he made the right call, being merciful for that moment. His gaze remained focused on her. He honestly didn’t quite know how to react to that.

“Then it would seem they forgot the plan. Because after they blew up the train the first time, they did it again to make sure.” His tone remained neutral, though nonetheless stern as it usually was. He wanted to keep this civil, non-accusatory. For it to be otherwise would only cause issues; none of which he wanted. “Innocents were hurt, from both sides. You paved the way to provide them weapons from Ms. Fiora’s warehouse beforehand. Was conflict not your intention?”

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Deigning not to answer for a moment, Ivory shifted her weight - placing her palms on the desk & pushing herself to her feet. Every motion she made was languid; slow, precise, and casual. She recognized, as well as he did, that they were treading on uneven ground, but she also recognized she held the power in this conversation. He was not, to his credit, demanding answers... to do so would have been unwise, as she owed him none.

Still, she'd been waiting long enough for someone - anyone - outside of Th Family's command structure to raise such questions. As inconvenient as the timing may have been, it had to happen eventually. One could never keep secrets forever.

As one with a litany of dark secrets of her own, she was all-too aware of this.

The Donna walked from the desk toward a bookcase across the room, still in Samuel's view. In the dim light of the room, she opened a cabinet & produced a bottle of Fiora Mogano Bourbon - her preferred spirit - then retrieved a second glass. Instead of returning to her spot behind the desk, she instead joined Sam by sitting at the chair directly beside him; but not before retrieving her own glass from her desk. Every movement, still, was deliberate & measured. Whether it was to quiet whatever paranoia he was feeling, or if she was using the time to formulate an answer, he couldn't be sure.
Pulling the cork on the bottle free, she poured herself a measure of the dark amber spirit, then poured the same amount into the second glass. This one, she set on the edge of her desk & slid toward Samuel - for him to either accept or ignore at his leisure.

As she began speaking, Ivory sat back in the leather-backed chair & swirled her drink, staring at the shimmering reflection of the light within it.

"Samuel, I realize that - in the past - you've worked on the other side of the Law almost exclusively. You're no stranger to our lifestyle; even though there are some differences as-to how we do business, there are certain similarities I'm sure you've identified. One thing I do not make a habit of doing, is sending my people off to die while I sit, safe & secure, here in this office. Unlike those you've worked for in the past, I am just as capable of putting in work as those whom I lead."

She took a sip from her glass, then looked at him. Her face was impassive; her eyes, cold.

"The future of this Family, and the safety of every single one of our number, is in my hands & mine alone. There are certain burdens, as I'm sure you know, that are best carried silently. Our affairs on Denon are but one example. That being said, seeing as how some inconvenient truths have come to light, I suppose I owe you a bit of an explanation..."

"Denon is being strangled. Slowly, but surely, the ever-increasing weight of oppression is being applied, like a boot, to the throat of every man, woman, and child - throttling the very soul from their bodies. Every living person on Denon has been reduced to that of a battery - a tool, used to empower a Government which is both immensely powerful & immensely destructive. The loss of innocent lives is regrettable, but I assure you, when I promised aid to Darkwire, it was under the condition that all reasonable steps be taken to minimize collateral damage."

She tilted her head to one side, then took another sip from her glass.

"The truth is," She sighed, shifting in her seat, "I provided the information to Darkwire for their operation on the train - but, as these things often do, the plan took on a life of its own. Unfortunately, due to specific circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to be present. As I've already stated, the plan was to bring Valery Noble into our care, and use her connections within the Senate to garner sympathy for the cause."

"The cause being, of course, to break the Corporate Authority's stranglehold over Denon. To... balance the scales, if you will."

Surely, her intentions were not as noble as they might appear... but, at least up until that moment, she didn't seem to have been untruthful.

She paused, allowing her visitor time to process what she'd explained thus far.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

He had quieted, watching as she said her piece. No matter what she did, it did little to ease whatever he was feeling. Of which, that alone was difficult to tell, including for himself. All he knew is that he was to do whatever he came here to do; even if that in itself was equally as hard to discern. When she poured him a drink, he would’ve said something, but she was already pouring. For the moment, as she set it down, it was ignored. Memories of another time still rung in his head whenever practically anyone poured a drink for him. Never again.

As if on queue, she brought up Samuel’s past. It elicited little reaction - it didn’t matter. What was done, was done. A regrettable course, but one that, if not taken, he would not be where he was now. If it was the only way to attain what he had now, he would do it all again in a heartbeat. He continued to listen, until it came to a close. One of the more important things to note was, despite all of that, she did not directly answer his question.

“With respect, that does not change that it still happened, Miss. Steps or not, they were not taken on this occasion. I think that's, concerning, at the very least.” Came his calm, attempted-to-be-polite reply. “You armed these folk. You gave them the means to do the things which they are currently conducting. And it created nothing short of a war everyone in that world is paying the price for. Even Darkwire, from the looks of it.” With a soft sigh, he would make an adjustment in the seat. Idle fidget, more than likely. Had to make sure to keep a calm tone and demeanor. Hopefully he was doing this right, social etiquette and all. Never was his strong suit.

“I will not masquerade as someone who has come to render judgment upon you, as if I’ve some higher moral ground. I am aware of the likelihood of abuse from the government onto its population.” He would state. “But facilitating terrorism is not exactly in-line with the whole, ‘No harming innocents,’ tenant advertised, as far as I’m aware. I am sure we both know the associated sayings of, good intentions.”

No, she didn’t seem like she was being untruthful. However, Samuel had seen several things. Things that didn’t quite line up. Unfortunately, he was no Detective. The only skill he had associated with that, was the act of hunting someone down. This sort of thing was of a vastly different world, one of which he was not used to, much like many of the things he has been doing lately. Yet, he would try still.

“...I noticed Ms. Fiora meeting with Dominique Vexx, the Denonite Senator. I am aware she is a part of the DireX Board, no? Not to mention whatever other connections you may have been building with them thus far through Moonveil. It seems a tad… contradictory, to be working with them if your intention is to ‘balance’ them in this manner. I have seen connections on both sides. Like strings, criss-crossing every which way. And now, they’re set against each other.”

The individual leaned against the arm of his chair, his gaze and expression equally as impassive as she. “So I ask; why. Why, do you care about Denon, its residents, and its mess of a political climate? As far as I’m aware, The Family doesn’t have many - if any - active issues on Denon, no apparent threat to its safety from this burden you speak of. You promised aid to Darkwire, and yet at the same time to the players trying to climb the opposing Corporate Ladder and work with that very structure. For the cause of ‘balancing’ this. To what end?” He would speak with measured tone, and demeanor. Perhaps he had overstepped with his words. Still, he felt it was an important point to make. To him, it looked like both sides were being played. The Family had practically no business on Denon in the first place, aside from what looked to be Ivory’s influence in this very matter. And Moonveil's investments, of which were only threatened by this thus far. The only reason there would be business of this caliber is if there was something to be gained.

And Samuel was not a stranger to proxy wars waged from the shadows just to get something one wanted.

Last edited:
Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
The Donna took another sip, crossing one leg over the other & smoothing out her dress with her other hand. She leaned against the chair's arm, angled away from him - cognizant that her body language indicated she was attempting to distance herself from his line of questioning. Listening to every word, she was silent; allowing him to finish.

He was a bloodhound. She had to concede that. He was calling her out, without actually pointing fingers. Clever. Worse yet, it didn't seem he'd be content with the simple explanation... or, with her casually dismissing Darkwire's apparent failures. She felt a momentary flair of irritation, but she squashed it easily. Now was not the time for emotional responses.

“So I ask; why. Why, do you care about Denon, its residents, and its mess of a political climate? As far as I’m aware, The Family doesn’t have many - if any - active issues on Denon, no apparent threat to its safety from this burden you speak of. You promised aid to Darkwire, and yet at the same time to the players trying to climb the opposing Corporate Ladder and work with that very structure. For the cause of ‘balancing’ this. To what end?”

With a quiet "tsk", she shook her head.

"Isn't it obvious?" She asked, then continued, "Money equals Power; Power makes Law; Law makes Government. Denon is a vast moral wasteland, devoid of empathy, with the majority of its population utterly powerless. Worse yet, they are so blinded by a glamour cast by its neon lights that they cannot see the future laid out before them. With the proper investment of money & power, it's my hope to obtain leverage against the current Government to facilitate change."

"Darkwire - almost to a soul - consists of young amateur freedom fighters. Many of them - namely, the young woman you met - remind me of myself, years before I joined The Family; idealistic revolutionaries with a torch to bear against their oppressor. Call my reasons selfish, or misguided, if you will... but I am sympathetic to their plight, and possess the means to offer aid."

She shrugged one shoulder, glancing toward the floor to gather her thoughts before looking at him again.

"You know as well as I do, when facing a superior adversary, one must rely on every tool at their disposal. Without my assistance... without The Family's assistance... everyone on that planet will spend the rest of their lives in the very worst kind of chains: the kind you cannot see, or hear, or feel. The kind that do not bind the body, but the soul. I intend to make sure those chains are shattered... even if it means dragging the entire population of Denon - Darkwire included - kicking & screaming alongside me."

While The Donna appeared relaxed, for the very first time since he'd taken up employment with the powerful Syndicate, he could likely now sense a real & palpable danger to this woman seated beside him. An edge had appeared in her tone; stating without words that she was committed to this fight, and that anyone who wasn't with her was against her. Obviously, she had committed a wealth of resources, time, and effort - including her own blood - to see it through, and would brook no attempt to alter the course she'd laid out.

A heaviness hung in the air which had not been there before. The shadows in the room almost seemed to have grown darker, while the ambient lighting illuminating her desk & the display cases throughout appeared to dim... as-if the darkness itself had come to life.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

Last edited:

He neglected to cross his legs, or make much of any movement, really. He couldn’t read body language well. But he could understand the tone well enough. It was a tone Samuel was well-versed in, even in this manner, much to his displeasure. Whether she was doing it on purpose or not, was a separate question. He already knew of that danger. No one, no matter how innocent and fair they may present themselves as, can get far in this life without it being there, lurking in the shadows as they did this very moment. Although, it was perhaps a bit too tangibly so to be entirely comfortable for the Hunter.

He had a choice before him. And he didn’t think there was a ‘correct’ one in the matter, not in any typical way. He could dismiss himself, pretend he saw nothing, and allow what could be a disaster to happen without another word. That option beckoned sweetly to him, appealing to a sense of self-preservation inherent in the nature of his work; to be only out for oneself, and oneself alone. Credits did all the talking, and there were plenty to be had here.

But that was a long time ago. Ela deserved someone better. The surname of ‘Exel’ did not deserve to be stained with a cold indifference as his previous name had been. He had to be better. Even if he wasn’t able to put in the greatest effort, something, anything, would be acceptable. This was the other option. To speak his mind, and maybe, by some near-impossible chance, at least give alternatives some measure of consideration. Yet, what did the opinion of some Mercenary matter on topics of morality? To what end would this serve? That was the joke of it all.

Curse himself for pursuing it further. Perhaps she was trying to scare him off with that declaration, the subtle undertone growing more visible. It only served the opposite effect in this case.

“Is that what you see them as? Tools at disposal, fit for use because they remind you of that past? Or as other beings with a plight you feel sympathy for, Miss Stroud?” He would prompt at her mention of, ‘using tools at your disposal.’ It was phrased, a tad unsympathetic when compared to the prior statement. It clashed in a brilliant way, visible even to the Hunter.

“Forcing a population into war to break chains, ends justifying the means, isn’t always the best solution. I think you already know that. I think, you already are well-aware of the potential consequences of this, but you have opted not to care. Or, rather, you do care, but you dare not pay attention to it until everything is already said and done, so that you can return to this spot and tell yourself either ‘I told you so,’ or ‘I made a mistake,’ and hash it out from there.”

“You’re going to pay your price in the blood of however many it will take, is that it? Because if that is the case you’ve stated, Miss Stroud, I will ask a more fitting question. And it’s a question that I think you might’ve already asked yourself. Do you really want to be the reason however many folk lose their lives, however many more ‘young freedom fighters’ are created through loss? Do you really, want to be the cataclysmic event that might set it all burning to the ground?”

“There are better ways. Ways a Mercenary like myself wouldn’t know, Miss Stroud, this I will admit. But, you want to start a revolution? You’d want to get the people with you. Drag them along for the ride, it will only cause a worse reaction. It won’t be their rebellion, their uprising against that boot on their throats. It would be your uprising, and yours alone. They will resent you for it. Even if you are trying to free them, you can’t do that if they never wanted to be free in the first place. Blowing up public transportation, for starters, would only serve to make them see you as an enemy. It doesn’t matter if you are doing it for them. They only know that it brings more pain to them for no reason. They will willingly latch chains back on to be rid of you.”

How did he know? He didn’t for sure. But it’s what he would knowingly do, in a normal life. One without the skills, the career he had now. Even in this one, he’s done that before. He knew nothing of politics. Of revolutions. He grew up downtrodden, and clawed his way out - and sacrificed all of it to do so. But even Samuel knew, that was no way to grow up. It would rot you, sooner or later. As it did to him then.

“You are willing to cross one line you established for this. This you have established clearly. Now it’s a question of ‘how far are you going to walk past that.’ And I don’t think the result of that is,” Thought, ponder of the word. “Healthy. For anyone. Including yourself.”

His piercing, azure blue eyes finally averted for a brief moment, collecting his thoughts with a deep inhale, exhale. They refocused once more. “Do not misunderstand my intentions. This is not my planet. Not my people. Revolution is not something I am wholly familiar with.” He would restate this, his head tilting some. It was the truth - these matters were ultimately, out of his hands. It affected him little-to-none, so long as he did not allow it. She and him both likely knew that. “I ask these questions, Miss Stroud, for your own sake. Because they need to be asked, and questioned by someone other than yourself, or people who will do nothing but approve and idolize your actions because they know no way other than the most obvious one.”

His tone had naturally become soft, overtime. It was hard to tell if it was intentional or not. “...In the end, Miss, I am but a Mercenary. I’ve no say in this. But you do. Maybe I’m utterly wrong about you. Maybe you’ve done this before, and you don’t care. Perhaps every word I’ve just said is wrong to your ears. I can’t make every assumption and claim to be right. I can’t help if no one wants help. All I ask, is to consider alternatives to the excruciatingly bloody path you propose.”

He left it at that, with a finality to his statement. His reasons were ambiguous, still eluding himself. He didn’t need them until they were called for. His wrist laid on the arm of the chair he was placed in, breathing in slow, controlled measures. Maybe he was anxious, after what he said. Way in over his head, this. For little-to-no-point. Samuel would have to see. If she didn’t want to listen, that was that. There wasn’t really much more he could do. He could at least walk away from this, knowing he had not kept silent as he once did. That was enough, for the once-emotionless mercenary. It was enough.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
The Donna listened, weighing his words carefully. She gave him time to finish, drinking the remainder of her glass of bourbon in the interim. Wordlessly, she recognized he felt strongly about the impact her actions would have... but she wasn't about to debate the finer points of Darkwire's grand plan. She'd spent enough time on Denon to know that - even if they didn't know it, yet - the common folk living beneath the boot-heel of the Corporate Authorities needed freedom more than they needed peace.

The louder one spoke truth, the more fearful people became.

“...In the end, Miss, I am but a Mercenary. I’ve no say in this. But you do. Maybe I’m utterly wrong about you. Maybe you’ve done this before, and you don’t care. Perhaps every word I’ve just said is wrong to your ears. I can’t make every assumption and claim to be right. I can’t help if no one wants help. All I ask, is to consider alternatives to the excruciatingly bloody path you propose.”

Ivory looked at him, long & hard, for a moment; her face impassive.

"Your concern for others is admirable, Samuel. Your concern for me, especially, is appreciated... but you're wrong about one thing." She indicated by holding up her index finger. "I have no say in the direction of Denon, any more than you. My only goal is to ensure the entire planet isn't reduced to rubble." She sighed, then leaned forward & placed her glass down on the edge of her desk. When she sat back in her chair, she looked at him again.

"This fight was going to happen one way or another. That's the sad truth of it. Without resources, those seeking to end this tyranny would be doomed... or, they'd destroy the very ground they stand upon to see it done. I'm afraid," she spread her arms out in a gesture of open-ness, "that this ball was set in motion without me. My only hope is to see that something remains of Denon when it's done."

Then, Ivory shifted from her seat & stood, offering her hand in the wordless signal that she was finished with the conversation.

Whether or not he took it was up to him.

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

He had been very quiet as she gave her response, of which he attentively listened to once more. The exact look one might find in his expression was hard to place - whether that was intentional or not, was equally as hard to tell. Either that poker face, or just an odd mix of thoughts and feelings, centered by a firing range once more. When she finished in turn, he spoke in kind;

“My concern usually isn’t admirable by folk, Miss. Including in a place like this. It’s usually quite the opposite. I recognize that.” He had idly shifted in the seat as he gave a quiet, truthful response. Admirable did not equate to ‘sensible.’ To ‘something I would do,’ most times. It usually equated to, ‘I am impressed you are stupid enough to be concerned for others.’ Samuel did not know which way to interpret her comment on that. He can admit that there were people in The Family that were better than the individuals he encountered in the past. But that is not to say there was not the potential for the bloodthirsty, psychopathic individuals he so despised to make way. Samuel didn’t want to see that be the case. Still, it was not his group.

She went on to say how she ultimately had no more control over the situation than him. His tone remained at the same softness as it had prior. “So you say, Miss.” Came his quiet reply. “I suppose there’s no telling what can happen. That is precisely why I am concerned. But I think even if you don’t believe you do, perhaps you will in some manner, down the line. Maybe someone will come to you looking for guidance, for action. If that time comes to pass, I can only hope you take my words into consideration and don’t point them in a sour direction for all involved parties.” It was a clever way of requesting that, even if she was deceiving him about her involvement, he was still making this request of her. That this ‘accident’ will not be dismissed as she attempted to earlier. Of course, he had no power to actually make her consider it, if there were any considerations to be had. No leverage, no judgment, nothing. Not even true ‘membership’ through oath.

With her hand being offered, he peered at it for a good moment. More skepticism, of course. It was warranted. He had to make sure she didn’t have things like hidden blades in her nails, some poison coating her hand that would make him die once he was out and away. It was a brief lookover for signs, with a glance up after that. He gave a soft sigh, a gloved hand taking hers with care and rising. He had said his piece. There was naught much more he could do aside from hope she was not deceiving him, or had taken his words into consideration. It was a wordless, small measure of trust that was being invested, but it was all that could be given given the situation. There were reasons he did not put too much stock in his employers. His was a profession wrought on the other side of the law, after all. ‘Honor’ amongst criminals was tenuous. And in his eyes, even here was not exempt from that.

“You said The Family and its future rests in your hands, Ivory.” He decided to forgo formalities with this statement. It was earnest, a real attempt to impart sympathy without the political facade he so despised. “If this doesn’t pan out, that’ll take them out with you. You made a Family that relies on you, and you are going off doing,” With a small gesture of a hand, “This. Mostly alone, against a government. I know you don’t intend to die. But no one in a fight like this ever does. If not for yourself, at least consider the rest of the people who do care for your wellbeing, what the results of this may be. I’m willing to bet that if I’m not the first, I will not be the last to come to you over this subject as more activities on Denon are conducted. Be wary, if nothing else.”

With that, his gloved hand slipped away from hers, and returned to being folded in front of him politely. “I presume you don’t want me taking any more Corporate Authority Contracts, Moonveil authorized or not.” Said blandly, with the query-slash-assumption. “Not that I quite enjoy them. They merely paid well.” Adjusting himself as he clarified this. “Denon’s a mess of a world. Too much of a mess for my tastes. It’s a shame the messes are always target-rich environments - had I not been detrimentally merciful, that girl would have been behind bars. I also presumed you didn’t want that, hence why she isn’t.” This additional part was also added somewhat flatly, expectant of the answer. This was the second-most important thing he had to address; the nature of the newfound work environment he previously found himself in. The precautions were partly because he didn’t know if he’d make the wrong person upset. Part of Bounty Hunter’s career revolved around keeping employers, especially regular ones, happy. He maintained some manner of that ideal. Somewhat.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
The Donna let him speak, considering his words carefully. He was trying to act as her concience... which was admirable, if-not a tad misplaced. Silently, she recognized the wisdom he spoke; knowing full-well the risks she was taking and allowing others to take... but she hadn't been lying when she told him it was out of her hands.

He shook her hand & rose, preparing to leave... but his sudden change in tone was recognized for what it was. He was leveling with her; casting aside any pretense of station or caste, and speaking to her as one human to another. She had to give credit where it was due... he was perhaps better at politics than he gave himself credit for. She did not intend to die, or get anyone in her Family killed... but for her plans to blossom into manifestation, judgements had to be made. Actions taken.

Whether or not he (or anyone else) agreed was barely worth consideration.

But still, he was convincing to say the least.

“I presume you don’t want me taking any more Corporate Authority Contracts, Moonveil authorized or not.” Said blandly, with the query-slash-assumption. “Not that I quite enjoy them. They merely paid well.” Adjusting himself as he clarified this. “Denon’s a mess of a world. Too much of a mess for my tastes. It’s a shame the messes are always target-rich environments - had I not been detrimentally merciful, that girl would have been behind bars. I also presumed you didn’t want that, hence why she isn’t.”

"On the contrary, Mr. Exel, I am not about to dictate what you can or cannot do outside of these four walls. Business between Moonveil & the Corporate Authorities continues, regardless of my involvement... and as you said, they can be quite lucrative. All I would mention is that - should you face Darkwire again - I cannot guarantee your safety. Darkwire is too varied, and their operations aren't often shared amongst the whole." She hoped that would serve as enough of a warning.

"And, between you & I, I am thankful, for your sake, that you did not. That young woman-in-question would have given you much more trouble than you realize."

She couldn't help but smile subtly, considering what she knew of Daiya Daiya .

Over the course of their conversation, Ivory had kept herself professional & focused. She'd hidden little - as honest as she could be, while also protecting those she needed to. A whisper of doubt & concern remained as she wondered, silently, if the events of this meeting would come back to haunt her in the future...

Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

He did not quite like the implication of being underestimated. Downplayed, like he was some cheap gunner looking for scraps. It was true, the girl had a swift quickdraw; but so did he. And far, far more to aid it. But, it was not his mistake to make. That would be his foes' one. And Stroud, if she so chose. He was never quick to underestimate his opponents - even teenagers. No matter. His mind remained sharp on the task at hand. “I’ll bear it in mind, Miss Stroud.” Bland, the voice still was. Lacked much indication of emotion in either direction. “But my safety was not the primary concern here. It never was.”

“I will make it clear as to my intentions; if there are any more terrorist attacks that begin to become bloodthirsty and CorpSec subcontracts Moonveil for a Bounty again, I will be there. You can pick up what pieces you like if it comes down to that; because at least then you will be left with the individuals sensible enough not to cause unnecessary casualties in the pursuit of revolution. I feel that can only help you, no? This mess was just the beginning, that much is obvious.”

“The fact they don’t share their operations only serves as an incentive to deter this kind of behavior. Revolutions should be united. Sounds like they should be, anyways.”
Hand gestures in dismissive fashion. “Of course, what do I know? I’ve no issues with liberation from governments. I care about what it costs, and what it pays.” Credits, morality, it was a tenuous scale. Checks, and balances. One must fall so the other may rise. The difficulty was trying to uphold some sense of order amidst all of that. The fact of the matter was: you couldn't.

He had said and established what he needed, and what he wanted. He knew there were more than likely things being obscured from sight - someone like her never gives away everything. He also knew there was no way to pry that information from her.

But it wasn’t his place, just as much as this entire conversation wasn’t. If he discovered something later, let it be accompanied by a generous payout.

“Of course, you know how to reach me if you need such a contract done first.” Came the still-stoic offer. This line of question was, after all, for the sake of making sure she was not upset with the mess. But she seemed indifferent - a facade by the Hunter’s figure, more than likely.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
“I will make it clear as to my intentions; if there are any more terrorist attacks that begin to become bloodthirsty and CorpSec subcontracts Moonveil for a Bounty again, I will be there. You can pick up what pieces you like if it comes down to that; because at least then you will be left with the individuals sensible enough not to cause unnecessary casualties in the pursuit of revolution. I feel that can only help you, no? This mess was just the beginning, that much is obvious.”

“The fact they don’t share their operations only serves as an incentive to deter this kind of behavior. Revolutions should be united. Sounds like they should be, anyways.”
Hand gestures in dismissive fashion. “Of course, what do I know? I’ve no issues with liberation from governments. I care about what it costs, and what it pays.”

He had a point. Darkwire had been working to become more unified, but getting everyone onto the same page was like herding cats... a troublesome fact which had come up in discussions on more than one occasion. Ivory couldn't help but smirk.

“Of course, you know how to reach me if you need such a contract done first.”

"You'll be the first on my list, Mr. Exel. I do appreciate you bringing this all to my attention. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Their meeting was over. The Donna would walk him to the door, and see him out... then return to her desk and place a secure call.

Arrangements had to be made, and damage control enacted.

- End -

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom