Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odyssey [Sheathed Lightsaber]

Odyssey:​
Image Source: N/A
Intent: A unique lightsaber for Laertes Alagos, the prized possession of his family following his death, and eventually the weapon of his descendant Eklan Alagos. (For an out-of-universe reasoning as to the sheath: Purely aesthetic reasons. I think it gives something unique to Eklan's aesthetic, something samurai-ish, which fits his personality and is really what I want to be reminiscent of in his character design. It's also a symbol of the way both Laertes and Eklan think of the weapon - It's not a brand new technology which only a genius could have thought of, it's simply building upon a basic sword. The Alagos Family are people who are a bit old-fashioned and honorable in this futuristic, sometimes treacherous galaxy.)
Development Thread: To be completed.
Manufacturer: Laertes Alagos.
Model: N/A
Affiliation: The Alagos Family
Modularity: No.
Production: Unique.
Material: Standard lightsaber materials. The sheath is made of Songsteel, internal wiring and black leather on the outside.
Classification: Lightsaber.
Size: One or Two-Handed.
Length: 96cm. The sheath is 100cm.
Weight: The lightsaber and sheath are both 1kg, 2kg together.
Special Features: Odyssey is a curved-hilt lightsaber, the most notable feature of which is its inability to be turned off. Odyssey must instead be kept in a custom sheath. (Details of sheath are given below.) The lightsaber is red while inside and first drawn from its sheath, but fades to blue after a few seconds. Odyssey is a very old weapon and doesn't make the same noise as other lightsabers - It is silent within its sheath, and its sound when drawn is a quiet hiss, like that of a lightsaber in constant contact with a surface. Odyssey's sheath's primary material is Songsteel. There are a series of wires within the sheath which constantly generate a current within it. This charges Odyssey and helps to restore its plasma content. This also empowers Odyssey if left inside long enough. Lastly, a thin layer of black leather is on the outside for visual appeal.

Strengths:

• [Empowering]: Laertes Alagos had a custom sheath created for his lightsaber. This item can empower Odyssey. When drawn, Odyssey has an energy current surrounding it and is much stronger than most lightsabers for a short time before reducing to that of the average lightsaber. If it's drawn from the lightsaber with a strike in the same motion, its strength would be enough to go through thin layers of normally resistant materials such as beskar and phrik.
  • [Lightsaber-Resistant Sheath]: Odyssey's sheath is made of songsteel, and in desperate situations could be used to block attacks.
  • [Plasma-Spitting]: Odyssey is a very old weapon, and doesn't hold its plasma as securely as other lightsabers. During clashes with other lightsabers, plasma can spit off the lightsaber, which inflicts heavy burns if it lands on someone. Primarily effective if the opponent uses a highly defensive style and/or keeps their lightsaber close to their body while fighting.
  • [Plasma-Sticking]: Odyssey's strikes leave behind plasma on the surface it struck, continuing to burn it. In combat, this means its wielder usually only needs one good strike to take away an adversary's ability to fight due to burning plasma being stuck to them.
  • [Non-Dimetris Circuits]: Odyssey was designed with non-dimetris circuits, and thus is unaffected by lightsaber-disabling effects such as cortosis.

Weaknesses:

• [Required Sheath]: Whether as a philosophical gesture that a deadly weapon should not have an off-switch, a preference for the weapons of earlier times, or just being a moron who thought that continuously turning a lightsaber on and off would damage it, Laertes Alagos did not give Odyssey an off switch. Instead, a custom sheath was made to hold the weapon, blocking all sound, heat and light from escaping. In its age, the weapon can be severely damaged if not placed back in its sheath after hours of not being within it.
  • [Visual Indication]: Odyssey's color changes when its empowerment ceases, so those fighting against its wielder can easily tell when the weapon has lost its advantage.
  • [Bulky]: Due to the size of the sheath, Odyssey can't be concealed as easily as other lightsabers.
  • [Fragile Wiring]: While Odyssey can be used to block attacks, this risks doing damage to the internal current generation. Blocking strikes with the sheath can easily render it unable to recharge Odyssey, as can directly attacking the sheath several times.
  • [Loss of Plasma]: While plasma landing on opponents can be a good thing, it's still a loss of plasma. Over longer fights Odyssey's strength becomes severely, so its wielder has to count on winning the fight and winning it fast. This effect can replenished by storing it in its sheath for an equal amount of time as it was drawn.

Description:

Odyssey was the weapon of Laertes Alagos, the earliest known member of the Alagos Family and a legendary lightsaber warrior among them. A number of legends exist about him among the family, but if there's one certainty, it's that this was his weapon.

Laertes created Odyssey in a time when little precedent was set for lightsaber design. He knew that the ones which usually existed had an off switch, but he chose to not include this feature, and instead to use a sheath with his weapon. It is red while in its sheath and shortly after being drawn due to its empowering changing its color. After a few seconds outside its sheath, however, it returns to blue, its natural color. Despite its oddities, Odyssey served Laertes in countless battles. Laertes always referred to the weapon as a blade, not as a lightsaber. His descendent Eklan speculates that Laertes did not think of Odyssey as a prototype, weak lightsaber, but rather as an amplified sword, and to refer to it as a weak lightsaber instead of an amplified sword was to pay a disrespect to the weapon. Laertes eventually died in battle against an unknown force, believed to be doing so in defense of his family, with last words which have become mythical among his bloodline: "Kill me, you devil! The winds of glory sustain the Alagos Family, and as long as my blade is with me, we will never die!"

Laertes gave his family enough time to escape, and they even managed to recover his body and build him a small tomb. Laertes' opponents, however, were able to steal the lightsaber. The family later recovered this too, and the family fled to the planet of Asaiyo. Ever since, Odyssey has remained within the first farm on that planet, a revered family heirloom, the physical manifestation of their ancestor who died so they could live. When drawn in its older age, Odyssey's sound is similar to a quiet hiss, like a normal lightsaber continually lightly touching a surface. Laertes is legendary among the Alagos Family, and one can feel the respect that is paid to the weapon when one holds it.

Odyssey has to be kept in a sheath. While this is sometimes an inconvenience which makes it hard to conceal and often brings up questions, it can also empower Odyssey, giving it additional energy and power for a short time after it's drawn from said sheath. The hilt of the lightsaber clicks into place in the sheath to prevent the blade from bewing in constant contact with the walls of the sheath.Songsteel is used in case Odyssey does touch the walls of the sheath by accident.

The rest of the effects were not possessed by Odyssey at the beginning, and have instead come from its age. They are experienced by Eklan, not Laertes.

Odyssey doesn't hold onto its plasma as well as other lightsabers do. Odyssey's strikes can cause some of its plasma to spit off, which can burn opponents of its weilder. This is most effective against opponents who use a defensive style and/or hold their saber close to their body. While this spitting can burn adversaries, it's still losing plasma. Over the course of long fights, Odyssey begins to lose power and energy as its plasma weakens, down to a minimum strength. (This is the strength that it falls to if disabled.) Furthermore, Odyssey isn't as easy to repair as newer lightsabers. If reduced to minimum effectiveness by a lightsaber-disabling effect, it can't regenerate on its own, be repaired quickly or fixed by placing it in its sheath. It must instead be repaired, using the force, by its wielder, for several hours. Lastly, while the plasma can fall off the saber, it still sticks pretty well. A single strike with odyssey can cause plasma from it to stick to an opponent, continually burning them, usually rendering them unable to continue fighting. Because of these factors, its second wielder Eklan considers Odyssey's age to actually be an improvement. He's developed an extremely aggressive and fast style to compliment the weapon, focusing on winning fights as quickly as possible before Odyssey's empowerment runs out and it begins to become weaker. To Eklan, its greatest strength might be that it's a great listener, as he talks to it when he's alone and in deep thought, and it's a better listener than most beings he's met in the galaxy.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Hi [member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]! I will be reviewing this submission.

Before we go anywhere, please remove the second submission. If the sheathe is to be its' own unique item with special properties it must be subbed separately.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Due to the fact that the sheath is necessary for the lightsaber, I felt it would be more appropriate to include it as well for proper context. I could rewrite the submission and treat it as part of the lightsaber.

[member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]

Thank you.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
The sheath is made of Songsteel (or another lightsaber-resistant material)
  • You'll need to perform a dev thread for any restricted material. There are some lightsaber resistant materials not on the list, though they are few and far between and generally will not protect from direct strikes. Alternatively, you could do a simple 10 post dev thread for Phrik, which would suffice for this. However Songsteel has its' own required objective.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Weight: Standard Lightsaber Weight.
  • This needs to have an actual weight in metric. 1kg is about the norm.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
The lightsaber is red while inside and first drawn from its sheath, but fades to blue after a few seconds.
  • You'll need to somehow explain how this is possible, as lightsabers receive their coloration by the crystal that is used. I know of no crystal that changes colors.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Odyssey is a very old weapon and doesn't make the same noise as other lightsabers - It is silent within its sheath, and its sound when drawn is a quiet hiss
  • Again, you'll need to explain how this is possible. There would need to be some kind of soundproof material for this to be possible.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
This also overcharges Odyssey if left inside long enough.
  • So this lightsaber has the potential to self-destruct?

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Odyssey has much more energy and is much stronger than most lightsabers for a short time before reducing to that of the average lightsaber.
  • If this is intended to be used as a means to counter material such as Beskar, Phrik, or any other high quality, lightsaber resistant material, a dev thread will need to be done for this.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Odyssey's sheath is made of a lightsaber-resistant material, and in desperate situations could be used to block attacks.
  • Again, to reiterate, any material on the restricted list will require a dev thread to be completed.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
[Short-Circuit Resistance]:
  • This is fine to keep because there is a canon reference for this, but the wording of minimum strengths and percentages is not. Just list in the materials that it uses non-dimetris circuits.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
blocking all sound, heat and light from escaping.
  • I need information that will logically explain how this is remotely possible.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
[Loss of Plasma]: While plasma landing on opponents can be a good thing, it's still a loss of plasma. Over longer fights Odyssey's strength becomes severely reduced to a cap, so its wielder has to count on winning the fight and winning it fast. This effect can replenished by storing it in its sheath for an equal amount of time as it was drawn.
  • Two notes on this: the first is that if this is to be permitted, I must remind you that only the opposing writer can acknowledge whether or not they have been injured, or otherwise affected by this. Also, this needs to be reworded because we don't use "caps" or minimums. It should read that the effectiveness of the blade is diminished by the loss of plasma.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
[Timely Recovery]: Odyssey cannot recover on its own from lightsaber-disabling effects. If damaged by an effect such as cortosis, its power is greatly reduced instead of entirely shut off (See strengths), but it has to be formally repaired using the force for several hours. It can't be repaired using the sheath.
  • While it is entirely up to you whether or not the lightsaber is effected by cortosis, it is an established fact, and a weapon that somehow predates even the Old Republic would not have any canon precedent set that would otherwise back this statement up.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
I would request an exception to the usual rule of necessitating a quest for restricted materials in the case of Odyssey's sheath.
  • Unfortunately I cannot do this. It is a site-wide requirement that any restricted material or otherwise benefit that counteracts restricted materials be accompanied by a development thread. Each material has its' own required objective that can be performed a variety of ways. This could be done through a character perhaps locating a journal entry (where the journal entries themselves are the posts) detailing the construction of the saber, etc. The bottom line is that a dev thread for what I've stated above is required. I can't pass this without it.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie Pyne said:
You'll need to perform a dev thread for any restricted material. There are some lightsaber resistant materials not on the list, though they are few and far between and generally will not protect from direct strikes. Alternatively, you could do a simple 10 post dev thread for Phrik, which would suffice for this. However Songsteel has its' own required objective.
Would you be willing to tell me some of them? I searched Wookiepedia for them, but all the lightsaber-resistant materials seemed to be on the restricted list. Also, could you provide a link to a dev thread? I hear a lot of talk about them but I've never seen any, nor am I exactly clear on how they work.

Jamie Pyne said:
This needs to have an actual weight in metric. 1kg is about the norm.
Will update to make the lightsaber 1kg. The sheath's weight can still vary depending on which material is settled with in the final product.

Jamie Pyne said:
You'll need to somehow explain how this is possible, as lightsabers receive their coloration by the crystal that is used. I know of no crystal that changes colors.
Including this is mostly to help with balance, so that people can tell when its empowerment is over. As for an in-universe explanation, it could be that the additional energy field that surrounds the saber while in and shortly being drawn out of the sheath changes the wavelength of the light.

Jamie Pyne said:
So this lightsaber has the potential to self-destruct?

Would wording it as being empowered instead of overcharged be more accurate? The intention is to give Odyssey greater power at the beginning of a duel, but have this wear off and slowly become weaker over longer fights due to its plasma defect.

Jamie Pyne said:
If this is intended to be used as a means to counter material such as Beskar, Phrik, or any other high quality, lightsaber resistant material, a dev thread will need to be done for this.
Potentially the *instant* its drawn it could go through these materials. Otherwise, by a higher power I mostly mean that in duels, its energy output will be greater than most lightsabers. If Odyssey and the average lightsaber are swung at each other at equal speed, the normal lightsaber would be knocked back by the collision further than Odyssey would.

Jamie Pyne said:
Again, to reiterate, any material on the restricted list will require a dev thread to be completed.
Noted.

Jamie Pyne said:
This is fine to keep because there is a canon reference for this, but the wording of minimum strengths and percentages is not. Just list in the materials that it uses non-dimetris circuits.

What do you mean by "wording of minimum strengths and weaknesses percentage"? Either way, I'll edit that in.

Jamie Pyne said:
I need information that will logically explain how this is remotely possible.
Odyssey's hiss is quieter than other lightsabers, so while it's inside its sheath it will be virtually silent. As for heat, my understanding was that lightsabers don't exactly give off heat unless the blade is in direct contact with something. I imagined that Odyssey's hilt effectively "clicks" into place so that it isn't touching the walls of the lightsaber. Songsteel (or another material) is provided in case this malfunctions so that it doesn't just cut through and take off a limb. Lastly, the light would be passing through the internal circuit framework, a layer of songsteel, and leather. It's not much of a stretch to say that light isn't coming out while inside the sheath.

Jamie Pyne said:
Two notes on this: the first is that if this is to be permitted, I must remind you that only the opposing writer can acknowledge whether or not they have been injured, or otherwise affected by this. Also, this needs to be reworded because we don't use "caps" or minimums. It should read that the effectiveness of the blade is diminished by the loss of plasma.
I'm well aware of this - If they're affected, it'll be up to them. I'll edit out the mention of a cap.

Jamie Pyne said:
While it is entirely up to you whether or not the lightsaber is effected by cortosis, it is an established fact, and a weapon that somehow predates even the Old Republic would not have any canon precedent set that would otherwise back this statement up.
My reasoning for including this is that due to its inability to be turned on or off, being disabled by cortosis, etc... would seem to permanently disable it. On the other hand, I didn't want it to entirely ignore cortosis effects due to the issues of the weapon's balance. If this does come down to yes-or-no on being disabled by cortosis or not, however, I'll have it use non-dimetris circuits.

Jamie Pyne said:
Unfortunately I cannot do this. It is a site-wide requirement that any restricted material or otherwise benefit that counteracts restricted materials be accompanied by a development thread. Each material has its' own required objective that can be performed a variety of ways. This could be done through a character perhaps locating a journal entry (where the journal entries themselves are the posts) detailing the construction of the saber, etc. The bottom line is that a dev thread for what I've stated above is required. I can't pass this without it.
Understandable. As mentioned previously, however, I'd like to see an example of a dev thread.

One material that comes to mind is Duranium. It will allow the weapon to take a strike or two from another saber, so long as the contact is not prolonged. The material is what I personally used for my own lightsaber hilt.

Here are a few examples of development threads:
  • This is a dev thread for Impervium, another material that is not explicitly lightsaber resistant, though it is inferred according to all information on the material. (Tournament objective.)
  • This is a dev thread for Cortosis. (Mining operation objective.)
  • This is another dev thread for Cortosis. (Devastating defeat objective.)

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Including this is mostly to help with balance, so that people can tell when its empowerment is over. As for an in-universe explanation, it could be that the additional energy field that surrounds the saber while in and shortly being drawn out of the sheath changes the wavelength of the light.
  • To explain this I would suggest rather than color changing to utilize a wider, or thicker blade.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Would wording it as being empowered instead of overcharged be more accurate?
  • Yes

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Potentially the *instant* its drawn it could go through these materials.
  • In that case, regardless of whether or not you use a restricted material, you'd need to do a development thread for this.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
What do you mean by "wording of minimum strengths and weaknesses percentage"? Either way, I'll edit that in.
  • I just mean that on SWRP we don't really use percentage chances for things to happen. It's just more confusing than need be.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Odyssey's hiss is quieter than other lightsabers, so while it's inside its sheath it will be virtually silent. As for heat, my understanding was that lightsabers don't exactly give off heat unless the blade is in direct contact with something. I imagined that Odyssey's hilt effectively "clicks" into place so that it isn't touching the walls of the lightsaber. Songsteel (or another material) is provided in case this malfunctions so that it doesn't just cut through and take off a limb. Lastly, the light would be passing through the internal circuit framework, a layer of songsteel, and leather. It's not much of a stretch to say that light isn't coming out while inside the sheath.
  • This is fine, however you'll need, in the description, to explain all of this, that the sheathe is never actually in contact with the weapon. However keep in mind that even lightsaber resistant materials will eventually become heated if in contact with the blade at all, and that prolonged exposure will destroy most any material.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
My reasoning for including this is that due to its inability to be turned on or off, being disabled by cortosis, etc... would seem to permanently disable it.
  • I wouldn't necessarily say that. Cortosis generally only disrupts the power cycle of the lightsaber for a short period of time. Given that this saber is made to never turn off, it would essentially be like it lost power for a short period of time, before immediately re-igniting. That could potentially be dangerous, but that is how I would imagine that working. But if you'd rather just use non-dimetris circuits that's fine too.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Thank you for the examples. I assume there's an area for arranging dev threads with others?

Jamie Pyne said:
To explain this I would suggest rather than color changing to utilize a wider, or thicker blade.
I see, I might go with either one, or some other signifier. Would you specifically say no to modified color, or just not recommend it?

Jamie Pyne said:
In that case, regardless of whether or not you use a restricted material, you'd need to do a development thread for this.
My main issue with doing a dev thread for this item is that its creator is the ancestor of the PC who I intend to wield it. The ancestor is an NPC who I'd rather leave out of direct role-plays. Plus, seeing how the Odyssey's the prized possession of the PC who wields it and he doesn't leave his home planet without it, this would restrict my ability to have him participate in objective threads for materials like Songsteel or Phrik.

Jamie Pyne said:
I just mean that on SWRP we don't really use percentage chances for things to happen. It's just more confusing than need be.
Understandable, I'll most likely have it be non-dimetris circuits then. I just feel unoriginal for doing that since it seems like half the custom lightsabers on this site have the feature, you know?

Jamie Pyne said:
This is fine, however you'll need, in the description, to explain all of this, that the sheathe is never actually in contact with the weapon. However keep in mind that even lightsaber resistant materials will eventually become heated if in contact with the blade at all, and that prolonged exposure will destroy most any material.
I apologize for forgetting to include that detail, I'll modify the description to include this. I imagine its wielder would be checking fairly frequently to make sure the lightsaber was attached properly in the sheath, which stops extended periods of the lightsaber contact another surface. In the event it does happen for short periods, lightsaber-resistant material is used so the sheath isn't ruined.

Jamie Pyne said:
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Cortosis generally only disrupts the power cycle of the lightsaber for a short period of time. Given that this saber is made to never turn off, it would essentially be like it lost power for a short period of time, before immediately re-igniting. That could potentially be dangerous, but that is how I would imagine that working. But if you'd rather just use non-dimetris circuits that's fine too.
Non-dimetris circuits would be much simpler, I believe I'll use them.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Thank you for the examples. I assume there's an area for arranging dev threads with others?
  • Not all of the restricted materials require another person's assistance, though it does make it easier. Mining operations for example can be done solo if you wish. Othewise, the LFG board is where I would go.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Would you specifically say no to modified color, or just not recommend it?
  • Because there is no canon precedent for any kind of crystal that changes color, I would say no to this unless you first submitted, and got approved, a crystal that did such behavior.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
My main issue with doing a dev thread for this item is that its creator is the ancestor of the PC who I intend to wield it.
  • I'm not sure what kind of guidance I can offer here. I'm limited as to what I can do when it comes to the factory rules. You could perhaps do a dev thread that is in the distant past where the creator journals how he made the weapon, with the end result being that the document is destroyed somehow. That would be the best I can suggest.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
I just feel unoriginal for doing that since it seems like half the custom lightsabers on this site have the feature, you know?
  • Understandable, but no need to reinvent the wheel for something that simple.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Updated with some fixed info, such as the exact weight.

Jamie Pyne said:
Not all of the restricted materials require another person's assistance, though it does make it easier. Mining operations for example can be done solo if you wish. Othewise, the LFG board is where I would go.
On the topic of materials, do we have a definitive source for how songsteel is made or where it comes from?
Jamie Pyne said:
Because there is no canon precedent for any kind of crystal that changes color, I would say no to this unless you first submitted, and got approved, a crystal that did such behavior.

It's not the crystal changing color, but rather the light's frequency changing by passing through the temporary energy field. Odyssey's crystal still gives off blue light.

Jamie Pyne said:
I'm not sure what kind of guidance I can offer here. I'm limited as to what I can do when it comes to the factory rules. You could perhaps do a dev thread that is in the distant past where the creator journals how he made the weapon, with the end result being that the document is destroyed somehow. That would be the best I can suggest.
Would one simply be providing the journal entries in this case, or would one solo roleplay the entire venture, which includes the character occasionally writing journal entries about it?

Would you have any suggestions on how to participate in objective threads for a lightsaber-resistant material under the given circumstances?

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
On the topic of materials, do we have a definitive source for how songsteel is made or where it comes from?
  • We do, yes. The list is here: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/14386-banned-restricted-items-list/
  • For Songsteel in particular, the objective is: Songsteel (( Objective : Consecutively rhyme the last word of every other sentence in a paragraph in every post for the full duration of a duel against a Force User player character –OR— assist members in completing ten other objectives --OR-- have your character sing a battle song IC during an Invasion/Rebellion thread for your allies ))

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
It's not the crystal changing color, but rather the light's frequency changing by passing through the temporary energy field. Odyssey's crystal still gives off blue light.
  • I'll need a bit more explanation as to what you mean by this. Are you attempting to make the weapon similar to the darksaber?

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Would one simply be providing the journal entries in this case, or would one solo roleplay the entire venture, which includes the character occasionally writing journal entries about it?
  • You can choose to do this however you choose, really. Depending which restricted material it is will somewhat dictate what you can do to complete the thread, but you don't have to actively be RPing it as that moment in time. (For instance you could narrate the whole thing as having been done in the past as journal entries so long as it completes the objective.)

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Would you have any suggestions on how to participate in objective threads for a lightsaber-resistant material under the given circumstances?
  • If you are set on using a restricted material, I would go with Cortosis or Phrik, as they are the most easily completed objectives. Songsteel will not be easy to complete. Impervium could be done if you write the journal entries as a tournament. If you don't want to do it as a journal, you could go with your character discovering a HoloVid or some other form of document detailing this NPC's creation of the weapon.

As a note since I saw your Status update:

You are allowed to make mention to the weapon that its "created" but you may not use the item in PVP or in any other thread until the item is approved through the factory. Everything that [member="Jamie Pyne"] has suggested is on point and will guide you towards getting this item approved. Keep an open mind and have fun, use the dev thread to flesh out any history about the predecessor that created the weapon that your character is going to be using. You have a good and unique concept don't get discouraged.

Again just have fun and use this as a chance to flesh out your character and your character's unique weapon. [member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

I wasn't referring to the quests, but rather how Songsteel is literally created - Is it a naturally-occuring metal or an artificial alloy? Are there any unusual procedures one has to take in its creation? Any ways we know of to obtain it, other than the fact that certain groups just have it? Or might I be able to make something up within reason?

Jamie Pyne said:
I'll need a bit more explanation as to what you mean by this. Are you attempting to make the weapon similar to the darksaber?
The darksaber, to my knowledge, absorbs light. Odyssey, when inside of its sheath and for a short time after being drawn, is surrounded by an energy field. When light passes through this field, its wavelength becomes longer, which turns it from blue light to red light after it passes through the field. It would be like shining a blue flashlight through a window and have it come out red on the other side. Blue light is being emitted, but the field messes with the light's wavelengths to become red light.

Jamie Pyne said:
You can choose to do this however you choose, really. Depending which restricted material it is will somewhat dictate what you can do to complete the thread, but you don't have to actively be RPing it as that moment in time. (For instance you could narrate the whole thing as having been done in the past as journal entries so long as it completes the objective.)
So, would one be able to write it as a past-tense first-person story?

[member="Spencer Varanin"]

So, let's say I was creating a dev thread for Songsteel. I'd be able to use the item in that thread, but no others, for objective completion? And then once the objective is done, the restricted material added and the item approved, I'd be able to use it in other roleplays?

Thank you for the encouragement. Some have told me to abandon the concept in favor of something more realistic, but this is something I really feel would give a unique feeling to the character.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
I wasn't referring to the quests, but rather how Songsteel is literally created - Is it a naturally-occuring metal or an artificial alloy? Are there any unusual procedures one has to take in its creation? Any ways we know of to obtain it, other than the fact that certain groups just have it? Or might I be able to make something up within reason?

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
Odyssey, when inside of its sheath and for a short time after being drawn, is surrounded by an energy field
  • What kind of an energy field? What is producing this energy field that lingers on the saber for a period of time? There has to be something generating this field and a practical way for that to occur.

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
So, would one be able to write it as a past-tense first-person story?
  • Yes

Edgy Wind Jedi said:
So, let's say I was creating a dev thread for Songsteel. I'd be able to use the item in that thread, but no others, for objective completion? And then once the objective is done, the restricted material added and the item approved, I'd be able to use it in other roleplays?
  • I'll answer this for [member="Spencer Varanin"]. Yes. That is correct. You may use the item in the development thread as though it is already created, however you may not use it outside of that RP until it is submitted and approved.

Jamie Pyne said:
What kind of an energy field? What is producing this energy field that lingers on the saber for a period of time? There has to be something generating this field and a practical way for that to occur.

Raw Energy? Odyssey's sheath generates a current within itself to charge Odyssey, containing energy which the saber would normally absorb and convert into plasma for itself. When at full power, some of the energy can instead linger around Odyssey, creating an invisible field. Its energy manifests in additional kinetic energy when Odyssey strikes something.

Okay. Go ahead and make the necessary edits in the submission referencing everything we've talked about so that it is accurate and includes all of the details discussed thus far, remove the request at the bottom for the exception of the restricted material, and decide whether or not you're going to use a particular restricted material or not. If so, you'll need at least a 10 post thread that fulfills whatever objective is relevant to that material. Once that's done and decided let me know.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Sorry, I was gone for the weekend. Updated to remove the request and solidified that the material is songsteel. The dev thread might have to wait a bit as I'm busy with school and driving tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom