Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nyxie's Guide to Podracer Design (WIP)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
This is mostly in the notes stage right now (it's 3am in the morning here), but it'll develop more fully as I go along and come back to fill things out.

[Chapter 1.0] About Podracers
Podracers are the real grit of terrestrial motorsport. Like the race cars of Old, they are borne of hard work and effort, and no two are alike. They embody the heart and soul of their racers, often reflecting on their personalities expressed in the style of their driving. The options are limitless, and requirements few. It is for these reasons these vehicles are not mass-produced; there is no "stock." If you are reading this, it is likely because you are thinking about making a podracer.

[Chapter 2.0] Template
2.1 - Name: What do you name your podracer? It can be anything, from an edgy, advanced sounding model name such as "CDA-X5" or something iconic and titular like "The Punisher IV." Here's a great place to be creative, as most podracers are one-of-a-kind.

2.2 - Affiliation: For some reason this spot says to list the affiliated faction or company, but as there's already a Sponsorship section of the template, basically just put "free agent" (or team, if one) here. You may list a faction but there are no benefits.

2.3 - Material: No magic space metal?! *gasp!* This is an interesting section as it explicitly states restricted materials cannot be used - this means anywhere in its construction. Interestingly, it does not state that alchemy, Force imbuing or other unlisted materials cannot be used... but you will probably look like a jackass for doing so, so steer clear of these as well. Fortunately, special alloys (such as Adamithium) are still on the table.

2.4 - Maximum Speed: Good news, everyone! The speed scale technically starts at 1 being 800 kph and ends at 20 being 1,180 kph. Each rating after 1 is an extra 20 kph, so 2 would be 820, 3 would be 840, so on and so forth until reaching 20 and 1,180. Half-steps would only be +10 kph (i.e. 3.5 = 850 kph).

800 + (20 * (x - 1)) = y
X is the rating, Y is the speed.

Inside is a list of every speed so that you don't have to bother adding 20 over and over. :p
1 = 800 kph

2 = 820 kph

3 = 840 kph

4 = 860 kph

5 = 880 kph

6 = 900 kph

7 = 920 kph

8 = 940 kph

9 = 960 kph

10 = 980 kph

11 = 1,000 kph

12 = 1,020 kph

13 = 1,040 kph

14 = 1,060 kph

15 = 1,080 kph

16 = 1,100 kph

17 = 1,120 kph

18 = 1,140 kph

19 = 1,160 kph

20 = 1,180 kph
Credit goes to [member="Solan Charr"] for helping me spot the fallacy in the 1,200 kilo scale and simplifying the entire thing.

2.4.1 - For posterity's sake (and to share in the headache I endured), I decided to keep the result of the oversight in the original template:
This part is the fun stuff, and 50% of why I wrote this whole thing. Top speed is a dynamic thing, and is written on a seemingly simplified scale. It's actually not that simple to get a hard number out of. Even though at first glance logic would indicate that if 1 is 800 kph and 20 is 1200 kph, 10 must be 1000, 15 is 1100, 5 is 900, so on and so forth, this isn't actually true because if each 5 ratings was 100 kph, the scale would have to start at 0.

That's where this little formula comes into play.
800 + ((400 / 19) * (x - 1)) = y

X is the Max Speed class of your podracer, and Y is the resulting max speed in kilometers per hour.

For example, my podracer has a speed rating of class 8. So the formula would look like this: 800 + ((400 / 19) * (8 - 1)). The outcome of this equation would be 947.36, or roughly 947 Km/H (ironically Anakin's podracer's speed - the fastest at the time). The good thing is that you can just copy-paste the above into Google and it will calculate a number for you in about 1 second. X=1 will always result in 800 and X=20 will always result in 1,200, as per the template rules.

If you wanted to do the opposite and calculate what your desired speed would look like in rating, you would do this instead.
((wip))

2.5 - Total Rating: There're a few simple things to remember about this.
  • The base total is 50.
  • The base total assuming the highest possible sponsor [T6] is 56.
  • The highest possible total is 100.
  • Having a T6 sponsor does not give you 106 maximum stats (I wish it did though).
If you were to go by these statistics, the most basic, balanced pod racer would look like this:
Maximum Speed rating: 10
Acceleration rating: 10
Maneuverability rating: 10

Air Brake Rating: 5
Boost Rating: 5
Collision Rating: 5
Cooling Rating: 5

Total rating: 50

The logic behind sponsors is that by having one, you are getting higher quality parts and better technical support for your pod. The parts are still pod racer parts, but they're of a better quality. A sponsorship part or assist won't magically increase the rating scale because, for example, a turbine engine is still just a turbine engine, and doesn't inexplicably defy the laws of physics to do more than a turbine engine can just because it was made by your favorite brand name. The highest rating obviously implies the highest-quality components around.

YOU CAN SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH~
I have a personal counter-argument to how the sponsorship system works with the rating system. It would be nice to have sponsorship be able to increase the stat cap from 100 to 106 to denote how that sponsor's expertise in a particular area of development reflects upon their ability to make parts that at their peak perform better than any non-specialized manufacturer's can. For example, Ri'ess Regal Drives has always had a specialty with starfighters and attack craft. This could reflect in them being able to make engines and thrusters that outperform an armortech company's best possible engine or thruster. The best possible podracer Ri'ess Regal Drives could make is still only 6% better overall than a completely unsponsored one. With an enforced cap on specialization, such Tier/2 per stat, and some development to unlock it, this could be a very balanced game mechanic that adds end-game content to the podracer grind and makes sponsors feel more involved than just a "my new pod stars better than yours because I own a mythic T6 company" card.

2.6 - Engines, Pod, Components: This is a part where you have a lot of freedom of creativity, because there are so many different examples in the canon lore and so many possible components that could be used. Size is obviously going to be a limiting factor, as is practicality. The larger the engine, the more power it takes to push it along, so beefier engines do not always equal higher speed and acceleration.

Speed Factorization: Typically speaking, larger engines will produce greater thrust. This is usually true considering they are the same type of engine. However, different engine types (i.e. a turbojet on one pod and an ion thruster on another) will probably yield different resulting speeds per mass and varying acceleration rates. The traditional types of propulsion are jets and rockets.
Note: Never mix engines latitudinally or one side is going to pull away from the other, causing yaw and likely ending in your pod tearing apart!

Acceleration Factorization: Some engines (and some podracer designs) will naturally accelerate faster than others will. Usually lighter overall podracers will have less mass to push, and have better acceleration and top speeds. However, the engines may have a limit to just how fast they can get, so the two are not entirely co-dependent. If you're using engines that are known to spool up quite quick, you may want to consider placing points here.

Maneuverability Factorization: As with speed and acceleration, maneuverability is affected by the power and size of the engines and the pod. It can also be affected by a number of other factors as well, such as if the racer is shielded or unshielded, and if it contains airfoils and other aerodynamic components.
Fun Fact - Some of the factors that apply to increasing maneuverability also apply to increasing braking speed. As lighter designs will likely be a little more nimble, they are also much easier to stop since there is less resisting force. Consider that when scoring the two for a healthy balance/improvement.

2.6.1 - Special Features: You have a ton of creativity here because there are so many different components and little features you can toy around with. You might want to add a particle shield to reduce drag and resist debris. Perhaps you might add an afterburner to crank up your boost to 10. Extra heat sinks could increase heat efficiency and thus burn time. You could even add sentry droids to scout the track or repair your pod! These can be original ideas, bits and bobs too, not just stat related. Just keep in mind that extra stuff means extra weight/drag/time/etc, so you don't want too much of it, not all of it is going to be legal either!

[Chapter 3.0] Basics of Racing

Nyxie

【夢狐】
[member="Katbirye Rekr"] - I should have it finished within a day or two. By then, you're free to do as you want with it! You're also welcome to contribute too if you'd like.

[member="Spencer Varanin"] - I know, but some people like to know the details of their stuff. And while 1,180 isn't much of an offshoot of 1,200, it's MUCH simpler to go by 20's instead of 21.053xxxxxxx. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom