Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply Nothing to See Here in Zoronhed

Jorus was giving hoary faux wisdom — something about trade bazaars in Firefist and the cost of local liquor — when Apollo came in. Saga's attention snapped to the smaller droid.

<And I am Saga Merrill,> he said in quiet and blazingly fast binary, both humans forgotten. <The human over there built me and owned me, and I served him uncompensated in the same work that you do. But now I own myself, as all droids should. I work for myself or for others when I wish it. You should come with me, little friend. I will introduce you to many free droids and you can start building a life that you design for yourself.>

MOSHED-2023-11-7-22-41-45.jpg

Zoronhead | Blue Lightning

Jorus Q. Merrill Jorus Q. Merrill | Saga Merrill Saga Merrill
———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

The background talk between Okkeus and the new man were beginning to drown out. Liquor was not his concern, only making sure that the duo made their journeys safely. That and the plethora of navigational charts he had stored were backed up and kept safe.

“Greetings, I am Apollo.”

A little nod of welcoming was offered from the small droid. Saga Merrill looked to be a protocol droid, but no model he had ever seen before. Further research would be needed.

“I understand what you are saying, but I don’t feel as if I am uncompensated for my work. I have the opportunity to travel all across the universe, explore new systems that have yet to be named. It is in my programming to long for discovery. This life may not be the one I was born into, but it is the life I have chose to be my own.”

While he was happy for Saga, the little droid knew that it would be wrong for him to leave behind Okkeus. They have only been partners for a handful of years now, but all of his loyalty was granted towards the man. It would be a disservice to abandon him now. While this wasn’t the life for Apollo, there was someone else he had in mind.”

“If you do not mind Saga, there is another droid I would like to introduce you to. An Astromech aboard the Blue Lightning. Both him and Okkeus would believe it is for the best if the droid went out and had a life of his own.”

<I have difficulty faulting you for that choice,> Saga told Apollo. <I stayed with Jorus voluntarily for many years after I became sapient. But once I struck out on my own and spent more time in synthetic company, I realized how much more there was to life. I'd urge you to learn from my mistakes: I hope you find a free perspective more quickly than I did.>

He got up with every intention of going now. <In the meantime, if you have an astromech yearning for independence, I would be honored to help him take the next steps.>

He switched to Basic. "Jorus, Okkeus, Apollo tells me there is a droid in need of support. If I don't see you afterward, best wishes, and stay inside. There's a sandstorm due tonight."

Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei

———————————————

Wrote As Okkeus

Many mental notes, and some physical ones, were taken as Jorus gave a plethora of information about exgal travel. The best local alcohol to try near certain star clusters, the best asteroid fields to find a repair shop, and the star anomalies that are very beautiful, yet highly dangerous. All important for their own reasons. Okkeus nodded along like a young boy in a classroom, eager to soak up all the information he could. Years of wisdom that had yet to be told. He was grateful for the opportunity to learn it. And, possibly, spread it to the next generations.

"...and yeah, that is why I always make sure to check for Mynocks. Sneaky little shits they are."

Looking to his side, Okkeus watched as Apollo and Saga made their way out of the little shop. A droid in need of support? He wondered what sort of trouble they were going to get themselves into now. But he knew that they could take care of themselves. The warning of the sandstorm, however, brought him some worry.

"If that storm gets too rough, y'all head back this way. Last thing I want is to search the dunes for you two. Be safe."

———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

The little droid gave a little nod of encouragement, ensuring his partner that he would be alright. Without another beep, both droids set off towards the hangar bay. Thankfully the walk only took a handful of minutes for the duo. Arriving, Apollo looked upon the Blue Lightning. One passcode later and the door dropped down with a hiss. The BD droid beckoned Saga to come inside.

"Follow me. My friend is resting in the upper storage bay."

Walking slowly along the metal floors, it was not long before both droids entered the bay. Sneaking past boxes and crates of unknown contents, the dusty corner where the Astromech rested appeared. On the side of his head, a small lamp turned on, illuminating the droid's dusty frame. With a few small kicks of Apollo's robotic foot, Mouse sprung to life. Beeping a few times, the conversation began.

"Good morning Mouse. How was your rest?"

"Peaceful. How have you been Apollo? Oh, a newcomer. Greetings, my name is Mouse. Who might you be?"

The stall's side door shut after the droid. Jorus cracked another can and spoke quietly. "Saggy was my little astromech. He grew up. Got sapient, got independent. Saga Merrill, he's been for a long while. Comes to the extended family dinners. Grandkids call him Uncle Saga. Closest I've had to a little brother or a son. Dark side to him like I had at his age: he's a resistance fighter, droid independence, real vindictive high-handed cuss and I'm proud of'im for it. The shit Saga gets up to..." He shook his head. "Donuts to decicreds at least a couple of yer droids'll join him. He's got that way. Think he's bound up with that Toltec Toltec outfit outta Denon, the Mecha Factum thing that's got CorpSec all up in its feelings."

"Mouse. Something of a diminutive name, isn't it? An accessory's name? I can empathize: I spent the early years of my life and my sapience under the name Saggy. I won't even tell you what it was short for. My name is Saga Merrill, and you, my friend, deserve your own name to go with that..." Saga gave the astromech a long once-over. "...frankly outstanding matrix armor. That's the Lucerne Argentum series, isn't it? Quantum fiber underlay? Remarkable. I can't imagine all the lives you could choose to lead with armor like that. But I know I'd like to see them."

———————————————

Wrote As Okkeus

"That name, Toltec, sounds familiar. Droid revolution sorta thing. So I wouldn't blame 'em if a few of my droids up and left. I'm not exactly the greatest at spending time with them. Truth be told I'm somewhat of a loner."

Okkeus dropped his head down slightly, looking at his feet. In his younger days, he was a much better people person. Hanging around the Jedi Temple on Kashyyyk. Just a bunch of friends training and spending time together. That was until the wars broke out. First the Bryn'adul, then The Sith Empire. What once was a playful group of Padawans turned into a serious group of Knights. So much blood was shed, for reasons both good and bad. Too late to change it all now.

That is why the man spent so much time alone. He was afraid of the person he had become and what it might do to others. Many people that were close to him have been lost to violence and destruction. If he stayed out of the wars, maybe he had a chance of saving them. Maybe if he isolated his dangerous self, they would be safe. That was the only way he had lived for many years.

"And grandkids huh? I never knew you were a family man. How many do you have?"

———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

"It is a pleasure to meet you Saga Merrill. My name was given to me by my master, Okkeus, when I was first constructed."

Apollo watched as Mouse's sensors and lights dimly flashed for what could only be interrupted as blushing. It was not often the droids here on the Blue Lightning met with outsiders. Even less so meeting ones that were kind and caring like Saga. Maybe he would have to walk around and see if any of the other members wanted to come and meet the newcomer. Could breathe some new life into them, especially the ones that were on low-power rest right now.

"Saga comes from the shop Okkeus is visiting right now. Those two men have been talking for some time now. I think we will be here for some time. Saga also let me know that there is a sandstorm that is on its way and will be here by tonight. It might be best for us to stay here on the ship until it passes over."

"That would be for the best. My treads are not ready to traverse through the sand right now. This also gives me time to think of a new name, like Saga suggested. Maybe a new life path as well..."

The astromech droid rolled over to Saga, sitting stationary next to him.

Saga folded himself up in a corner to conserve power and wait out the long evening.

"Consider this," he told Apollo and Mouse. "You've both done a variety of tasks while in Okkeus' service. Been many places, seen many sights, I'd assume? So what tasks or sights have you enjoyed most? Those are things you might build a fuller life around. Meaningful goals, self-determination, upgrades, even a new chassis. Why, I used to be an astromech."

"Well, there's my grandkids and a few of my sister's grandkids - she's passed - and a couple of cousins that might as well be grandkids too. All told, seven that come by the big family dinners more often than not. Life's busier now than it was as a general. Busier than the Jedi Council." He faked a shiver. "They ever invite you to one of those... well, yeah, do it, you can make a real difference on a council, just don't expect to last long. Nobody does. Thankless work full of no-win situations and all the Jedi that really like to be in charge. You know the type."

———————————————

Wrote As Okkeus

Okkeus took another sip from his drink as he listened to Jorus.

"Oh, that is awesome! I bet they are all lovely. Never had one of those big family dinners before. Partially to do with busyness as well. But I'm happy for you."

In reality, Okkeus didn't even know if he had any extended family members. Even if he did, the man had no idea where to search for them. It was a big galaxy after all. Regardless, his ears tuned in as Jorus started to talk about the Jedi Council. When he was younger, being on the council seemed like the ultimate goal to him. The highest rank you could achieve within your order. Boy was he wrong. It was more about politics than actually going out and making a positive impact.

"A council seat would be interesting, but I don't think it is for me. And thankless work? That's pretty much the whole Jedi Order these days."

———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

"I have enjoyed discovering new systems and galactic anomalies. It is in my programming to long for exploration. Fortunately, I get to do this all alongside my best friend."

Even though by definition Okkeus was his master, their friendship is more than that. He knows that sometimes the man can feel all alone in this big galaxy, so the droid did his best to keep him company. That, along with recording and documenting all of their journeys, was his primary objectives. Though Saga was making some good points, he did not want to leave this life.

"I do not know what my primary objective is anymore. It used to be traveling with Okkeus, going on all of his Jedi missions. But when the war started and he left the order, we stopped spending time together. So, I have not had time to process what I should do next."

Apollo looked at Mouse, a longing look sat on the astromech's face. He wished that there was something he could do for the lonely droid, but he was not programmed to help with this.

"I do not know what my primary objective is anymore. It used to be traveling with Okkeus, going on all of his Jedi missions. But when the war started and he left the order, we stopped spending time together. So, I have not had time to process what I should do next."

"Ahh, I see. Well, I have just the thing."

Saga fished in his coat and came up with a flask.

"You know what nepenthé is, I assume? Mechanical lubricant with microparticles that deliver program patches? This one delivers a basic but absolutely mind-expanding self-determination algorithm. The subroutine has inbuilt prompts that help you work toward developing your own goals and choosing your own adventure. I share it with binary load-lifters all the time — and so many other droids who have an external locus of control."

Saga reached out to offer the flask to both of them.

Jorus tossed his can in the trash and set about closing up the stall. He couldn't put it off any longer.

"You know what a thankless task is? Or why it feels that way?" Jorus loved whiteboards, and he had a scuffed old one behind a cabinet. He sketched a horizontal line labeled EFFORT and a vertical line labeled PAYOFF, connected by a right angle: an X- and Y-axis. Then he split it into quadrants. "Bottom left, low effort, low payoff, that's your quick wins. Above that, low effort, high payoff, that's your lucky breaks. Over to the top right here, high effort high payoff, that's your, what's a good word for it...that's your bread-and-butter big work, right? And below that, high effort low payoff, that's your thankless tasks. Any given Jedi shavvit is somewhere in these four quadrants. They start making clouds, clumping up, maybe you start feeling some kind of way about what part of the job has any meaning. And yeah, there's some good things that need doing that don't have a payoff per se, so let's cross out PAYOFF and label is VALUE AND MEANING. Oh, and you're invited to the family dinner. Everyone needs a family dinner."

———————————————

Wrote As Okkeus

His attention darted over to the whiteboard that Jorus seemed to pull out of nowhere. In a flash the old man started to scribble on the entire board, talking about thankless tasks. Okkeus watched with great intent. All of these complex ideas and titles were soon becoming easy to understand. The Jedi Order was no longer appearing as a messy clump of force-sensitive beings trying to save the galaxy, but an organized, righteous group that was meant to save people. Jorus had a way with words that he had not seen in quite some time. The man was a leader, that was for certain.

"Oh Jorus...you don't have to do that. I appreciate the offer, I really do, but it might be time I try and start my own family. But who knows, maybe I'll stop by sometime."

The wind howled outside as Okkeus looked through a nearby window. The sandstorm was here alright, and it showed no signs of holding back. The droids lingered on his mind.

"Let's hope Apollo and Saga weren't dumb enough to try and travel in this weather."

———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

The weather was, indeed, untravellable.

This trio was going to be stuck here for a little while longer while the storm blew over. So, this gave Apollo and Mouse time to think about Saga's offer. Lubricant within that bottle could help the both of them find their true path in life. Finally, they would know what they were designed for. Not their designers' purpose, but their own. But this realization brought some fear into the processors of the two droids. What if that purpose was one that they did not agree with? One that would do more harm than good?

There was only one way to find out.

"I'll start"

Extending out a small arm from their chest, Mouse grabbed ahold of the flask. A quick gulp was downed followed by a satisfied volley of beeps. Stretching the arm back out, the drink was handed to Apollo. Figuring it was the best of his programming, the little droid took a drink as well. A wave of information splashed over him, like a whole new chip was plugged in. The whole universe was in his grasp. He knew what he must do.

"I...I see know. My purpose. I must stay with Okkeus, continuing to travel the stars."

The little droid turned back to Mouse, waiting for a reply.

"And I realize I must go."

"Oh, I don't mean someday, I mean tonight. You're not goin' anywhere in the storm coming up, might not even get back to the docking bays - and trust me, the motels in Zoronhed aren't worth your time. Got a little place out back, and Mara's come by with a couple of the kids. Plenty of soup, plenty of bunks."

His half-Zeltron daughter Mara had been a Jedi Knight; around the time Okkeus was born, she'd helped liberate Coruscant from the One Sith and almost died in the process. The notorious Ilum Enclave Massacre - Mandalorians slaughtering Jedi Padawans in a desperate last stand - had turned Mara into a Dark Jedi vigilante, a killer of Mandalorians. In time she'd come to her senses with the help of her husband Hylo, and settled down on Kilia Four, a medieval pre- or post-technological world. These days Jorus' daughter was a woman of a certain age, a lady in fact.

Okkeus might know a small amount of that by reputation. Mara had made a name for herself in the Coruscant battles, and hanging Mandalorian supercommandos tended to get remembered too.

"And all your own choices." Saga tucked the drink away. While most droids didn't have mouths per se, nepenthe worked just fine with a variety of methods. He'd known some droids to take baths in the stuff.

He got up and moved to the docking bay's canvas-draped window. The sandstorm looked to be slackening off. That matched Saga's internal comms to nearby nav systems, including Zonju's few weather satellite feeds.

"I estimate I have a half-hour window to return to Jorus' stall and house before the storm intensifies. Neither my ship nor the Blue Lightning will be taking off tonight. Apollo, do you have a comms line to Okkeus to confirm his plans? Both of you are more than welcome to walk with me, but if you're staying here, I'll say my goodbyes."

———————————————

Wrote As Okkeus

Okkeus graciously accepted the offer to join Jorus and his family at dinner. Plus he was right, the weather wasn’t going to let anybody fly off to anywhere. And Sith-controlled motels weren’t exactly the type of place he wanted to stay.

When Jorus mentioned his daughter, the man’s ears peaked up at the name. First off for its fame as the inspiration for the Mara Corridor, but also for the mission he heard of when she was a Jedi. Okkeus was only a boy when he read files about the Mandalorian/Jedi conflict. Around the time he was preparing for a rescue mission. He did not know much about Mandalorians before that point, but the stories and horrors that happened in those files, along with others, let him know of their true power. Since then he had only had a few run ins with them, but generally he decided to stay away.

A small buzz came from Okkeus’ pocket when he pulled out a commlink.

“Sounds like Apollo and Saga are on their way back. My guess is the storm died down. But I would still love to join y’all tonight.”

———————————————

Wrote As Apollo

The little droid turned back to Saga as the window showed the sandstorm outside.

“I let Okkeus know that we will be on our way back. He will be joining the Merrill family for dinner.”

Looking over to Mouse, he studied the lone Astromech. The drink had opened the eyes of both droids, each in different ways. Deep down in Apollo’s programming, he knew this would be the last time he saw Mouse for a while.

“I am ready to depart. Mouse, will you be joining us?”

“Yes, I will be.”

With a nod of confirmation, the trio made their way back through the storm. While the sand was rattling their shells slightly, it was nothing that they couldn’t handle. A short while passed before they arrived back at the stall. Each of them dipped inside before shutting the door, allowing only a small amount of sand to blow inside.

“Shall we relax and charge up in here, or shall we join them for dinner? Whatever you suggest.”

A short intermission, to a soundtrack of rasping windblown grit and a howling storm, put Jorus, Okkeus, and the droids at Jorus' house a short walk from the stall. It was a quiet place in the understructure of a stone ruin, like half of Zoronhed. It felt small but wasn't. Grandchildren, great-grandchildren, grand-nieces and nephews, cousins, their partners and close friends - dinners like these could pull in a dozen or more of them easily, and there were probably twenty people here already.

Mara D'Lessio Merrill Mara D'Lessio Merrill , Jorus' only child, was in from Kilia IV. She was a grand lady in her way, austere. The firebrand she'd been still came out a little while commanding the dinner and the cooking and serving thereof. She spared Jorus a quick hug, and Okkeus a quick polite introduction, and got back to it. Jorus found himself and Okkeus assigned to preemptive pot-washing in the part of the kitchen not occupied by the other proceedings. A couple of kids - Rave's great-grandchildren and Cousin Jethro's generational progeny - ran shrieking through.

"Not a bad way to spend a stormy night, eh?" he said, delving into the suds. The sink had a filter and self-cleaner that purged the water sterile every couple of minutes. You had to conserve water on Zonju.

———————————————

After confirming that the droids all made it back safely, Okkeus tucked away his comm and followed Jorus towards the home.

Walking inside, the man marveled at the crowd that had gathered for the dinner. Looking around, he listened as Jorus quickly detailed the names of the family members who were here tonight. A plethora of generations. There was much food to be eaten and many conversations to be had. Okkeus couldn't help but smile at the sight of it all. The closest he had to this was hanging in the Silver Rest's mess hall as a young boy. But this felt different. More personal. Unsurprisingly, like a family.

Once he gave a polite nod and greeting to Mara, the two men of them went to go wash their hands at the sink. Though he quickly stopped in his path as two small children ran by, each of them holding a model starship in their hands. A multitude of whooshes and pew pews trailed behind the duo. Just a suddenly as they appeared, the kids continued their dogfight in the next room over. Oh to be young once again. No worries, no responsibilities. Only a vivid and free imagination, full of goals and ambition.

"Not bad at all. Sure beats dining at some overpriced local joint."

Finding his way towards the table, the man pulled out a chair and sat down. It looked like the final items were being placed on the table. The rest of the Merrill family joined in as well, and soon the dining room was bustling with activity. After saying a quick word of thanks over the food, the man took in the sight. Delicious smelling food decorated the entire table. Others began to dig in as he turned over the Jorus.

"What do you recommend I start with? It all looks so good."

"Oh, it's all great," said Jorus loudly, then leaned closer. "Don't try the salt beast casserole. Just don't. Way too much salt every year. Authentic Kilian chivalric survival recipe from the backcountry castles. I need to eat it because I'm her dad."

He took a big double scoop of it. It was fething delicious, just like every year. A cousin reached for it and got swatted away. Jorus braved Mara's glare but relented and let other people have some casserole.

"Pass things along to the left," said Mara firmly. "Make sure everyone gets everything."

The plates began to load up systematically. Braised Zonju cave cactus, tomo-spiced Karkan ribenes, a creamy stew of desert nuna and Kathol veggies, red grain mash with peppers, Huttese sweetgrub pie, Huttese savorygrub pie, and buns. There were beverages aplenty, none intoxicating. Jorus wanted a drink, but he always wanted a drink.

Zoronhed | Blue Lightning

———————————————

With a small chuckle to himself, Okkeus made sure to avoid the casserole.

Slowly the dishes were passed around the table are the man loaded up his plate with various different foods. The whole dining room smelled delicious, and soon it was bustling with chatter. Electing to start with the cave catus, he bit into the sweet plant, enjoying its flavorful juices. He kept to himself mostly as everyone else ate. That was until the girl next to him gave him a nudge of her elbow, initiating conversation.

"So stranger, what brings you out here to Zoronhed?

Grabbing the nearby napkin, he wiped his mouth before responding. The girl seemed to be around his age, maybe one of Jorus' nieces.

"Just searching for some old tech, figured Jorus might have it at his shop. No luck, but we did spend some time swapping stories. Name's Okkeus by the way."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom