Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Not Kuat a Moff Yet

2I6Avqg.png

MECETTI APARTMENTS - LIANNA
PRIVATE STUDY

The festivities had finally drawn to a close, and Maldor retired to his study with the final guest he needed to speak to this evening.

He and Lecersen had shared units during combat engagements, and supported each other's actions in the field. It might not be the preferred way to meet the acquaintance of new people, but Maldor had found it to be a particularly effective way to measure the worth of a man. Despite declaring himself a Moff without official sanction, Ethen was not a selfish or self-important person. Not when it mattered.

Ethen hadn't hesitated to let Maldor borrow a corvette for his fighter cordon, despite the fact that they'd never met. He'd done this because the situation needed it, with no other thought than the ultimate effectiveness of the engagement. That was someone you wanted to be in charge of things.

That was someone you wanted to become a Moff. Not just self-proclaimed, but officially recognized.

And Maldor was sure that would be forthcoming, soon.

Servants had poured two glasses of wine for them, and then retreated out of the room. Two globes were present here. One represented the world of Obulette, where Maldor had been born. The other was the world of Lianna, where this apartment was located. Lianna was also, significantly, the center of the Empire. If not precisely geographically, then at least culturally.

An apparent painting at the back of the room was- upon closer observation- a computer screen. It also contained a depiction of a world, but it was not clear which world that might be. A world with more water than land, apparently.

Bookshelves were full of books. Not electronic books, but authentic books. The spines proclaimed topics surrounding war tactics, starship deployment techniques, Obulette history, Galactic history, Fencing, Ancient Jedi Philosophy, and the Dark Side of the Force.

"Thank you for staying to meet with me," Maldor said as he took a seat. "I hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty of choosing a vintage. Ten-year-old Nubian Honeywine from the Highgreen vintner. I enjoy a sweet drink after dinner."

He grasped his glass and lifted it to Ethen. "To the Empire."

Ethen Lecersen Ethen Lecersen

What luxury. What perfection. The quality of the room alone, fit for kings and princes. Maldor was going all out, taking Ethen into his study, instead of an office. He truly permitted some quality, private time with the Moff. And even trusted him, even though he only knew him for a short time. How utterly grandiloquent.

He took a calm breath as Maldor proposed a toast, raising his glass up towards Maldors' glass. Should be be close enough, he would clack his glass softly against Maldors'. "To the Empire," he cleared his throat. He brought the glass towards himself, and swished it around in the glass lightly. He knew how to be pompous, he was a spoiled child. He know how to be pretentious, his ancestry of high rank had turned into royal nobility. It was more a skill that bored him. It felt selfish, like it would rob him of his passions, of stability and order. It was too rich for his blood. He closed his eyes, taking a deep whiff of the wine, holding that scent in for a moment, and then exhaled. He opened his eyes again and took a small sip of the wine. He had to be delicate, not just with the wine, but with his energy. His Back Up Stormtrooper was not here, they were alone. He savored the flavor, showing his satisfaction, before his eyes darted over to Maldor, "you know I could kill you."

He filled the room with tension for a moment, a small grin slowly forming on his lips before he sat the glass down on the table. Another joke? Perhaps. He re-adjusted himself in the seat in a far more comfortable position, one that was less elegant; leaning back, where his posterior was closer to the edge of the seat than the back. He relaxed, "I'm thankful you trust me so, Lord Mecetti. Absolute privacy, I don't have to put on a show to be high style and regal. It's so tiresome." Even as he relaxed, he knew he couldn't be in such a comfortable position for so long without dozing off. So he partially adjusted himself back up, but not straight and formal. "The wine is good, I haven't tasted such a vintage since my fathers collection. And no, thank you for allowing me your audience. Your study... far more personal than your office." He nodded to Maldor, showing and appreciating respect.

idAqIRG.png

"...you know I could kill you."

Maldor paused for a long moment, trying to decide if that had been some flavor of joke.

He suppressed the impulse to reach for his foil. Ethen could not be serious.

Could he?

"Well," Maldor offered, "you seem to have extensive combat experience, so I suppose that's true."

The moment passed. It had only been a strange jest.

Probably.

Of more interest was Lecersen's claim that he found the trappings of his station to be tedious. Was that true? What sort of man was Ethen, really?

"You might well imagine I have my own reasons for wishing to speak to you, Moff Lecersen," Maldor said, "but I should do you the honor of hearing you, first.

What can Maldor Mecetti do for you, today?"

He relaxed into his own chair, ready to hear what one old family man might ask of the other.

His grin opened much wider, as if he was going to laugh. Maldor had shown his spirit, one that was yielding to Ethens. He couldn't help but exploit it for a good laugh. Someone so high and mighty, who came off as if wearing a crown, yet tractable. It was amusing, but it was genuinely inappropriate, so he would stop. He took a breath, "I'm just messing with you, Maldor. Come on, we're young, live a little! I mean I haven't even seen your capabilities," the hand which held the wine now bunched up into a fist, which he softly shook towards Maldor, "you can be a master of the Force, or an elite swordsman. I was just putting on your toes. It was amusing, forgive my easy to excite arrogance." His smile died, and he took on a cold-hearted, flat expression as he relaxed his arm. "I get an aura from you, Maldor. A Powerful, unyielding, full of will, aura." It was unknown to Maldor at the moment what Ethen was specifically talking about. Was he being suspected of using the Force? Or a comment of his character? "We share that," his hand balled up into a fist again, yet softly, as he gently pounded the arm of the chair. A psychological behavior for self-soothing or deep in thought.

"That we're in private, or at least I hope complete privacy, I can be a little more open to you. I have desires.... ambitions.... for this galaxy," he grinned as he looked down, huffing, catching up to his arrogance, "let's not say I want to be Emperor, no, let's get that out of the way for the Security Bureau, no worries there. We're already working on that ambition; the Empire. I want my home in the Kuat sector back, you know that, but I want what is right for the people of this galaxy. Stability and order....not religion and incompetence." The latter he whispered, "surely, you understand what I mean. Now... I'd like to see if we can enter into a partnership beyond our ranks and positions. I propose an alliance; Even if I may claim royalty, I was raised in the abilities, stature, and responsibilities of a Moff from birth. I make no claim of what skills you hold, but I believe I can be an asset for you. Especially if I regain control of the Kuat sector. And, luckily for you, I bet you can be an asset to me, as well. Do you think we could..." His fist unclenched to reach into a pocket... quietly and slowly, pulling out a metal medallion, flashing it to Maldors view before quickly concealing it after. "Come to an agreement?"

Nu4prJJ.png

"I think I left my youth behind with my Galactic Alliance citizenship," Maldor said.

It was true. It was his carefree, uncareful actions which had cost him his home. Now, his exile had burned some of that out of him.

But now Ethen mentioned fencing, and the Force, and Maldor felt a surge of the old fear. The Empire and the Sith had a contentious history. Sometimes they had been allies. Sometimes foes. But the current formation of the Empire had no love at all for the Sith.

Was Ethen planning to denounce Maldor as a Sith? Was that what he'd meant when he said he could kill Maldor?

Was that to be Ethen's path to power? Create a void by ruining Maldor, then fill that void with his own ambition?

But... perhaps not. What was the old saying? "The Guilty Man Flees when None Pursueth." Maldor was letting his own fears get the better of him.

Ethen proceeded to expound upon his ambitions. His desire to re-shape the Galaxy.

This was the Ethen which Maldor felt he knew. The man he'd envisioned to exist beyond the veil of carefree youth which Ethen hid behind.

When the self-proclaimed Moff described himself as a potential asset for Maldor, it raised a brow.

When Ethen showed Maldor the Medallion, his other brow joined the first.

All nobles of the Tapani sector spent some time learning history. How else could they gloat about family deeds which were often centuries or millennia old?

So Maldor recognized the symbol.

Was the Lecersen family connected to the old Pentastar Alignment? Was that Ethen's aspiration for the future? Did he want to re-forge the old Alignment, a potent alliance of government and corporate interests?

Maldor's family was the practical embodiment of that aspiration, having merged the corporations of Obulette and surrounding systems directly with the House itself.

It was no wonder, then, that Ethen saw them as compatible minds.

"If you want to rejoin Kuat," Maldor said, "then we may have the means between us to realize that goal.

I know you must have connections with the great corporations of Kuat, even now. Perhaps those connections have lost some of their strength due to the changing fortunes you've suffered, but the core threads surely endure.

I could offer you something that may help re-strengthen those bonds. Something you can bring Kuat Drive Yards to make them feel that the Lecersen family remains a valuable ally. Enough of an ally to be worth promoting in the future, if only to reinforce their own interests."

He lifted a hand to stroke his beard thoughtfully.

"If you ever do return to Kuat, you will find a powerful partner already on the inside, rooting for you to take the leadership position you deserve."

He reached out to take up his glass again.

"I could send you to Kuat to bring them a Billion-credit Imperial contract for the construction of engines and power cores. And give you a one-percent negotiation fee for your trouble." That would allow Lecersen to pocket ten-million just for having a conversation.

"But from their perspective, you will be the man who brought them a significant windfall, and you will become their primary point of contact with this Empire of the Lost.

That may earn you favor in the eyes of the Emperor himself, who will see great value in your connections to military industry."

His eyes shifted down, then back up, looking at Maldor. He smiled, although Maldor may perceive this as exciting Ethen, he should begin to learn that kind of thinking was over eager with Ethen. Ethen found it cute. "My dear Mecetti. I'm not just going to sit pretty on a moon within Kuat Sector, I'm not merely going to govern the sector of Kuat," he reached over to his glass of wine, pulling it up to his face to gracefully sip from the glass once more, "my family became the Imperial Royal Family over Kuat. Now, of course, our rival was the Kuat family, itself, and our power waned in the later years, but... I aim to own everything within the borders of Kuat Sector, including Kuat Drive Yards. I mean to make the House of Kuat my puppets." He stared deeply into Maldor's eyes, intent to give the man the feeling of intent and aspirations Ethen ultimately had.

Ethen didn't only mean to reclaim his family manor, but he aimed to be the latest, the greatest, the most powerful Moff in the Empire. He would be supplying them the ships of historical domination, impressive power, and complete order. From the Tector-class Star Destroyer, to the Eclipse-class Star Dreadnought, Ethen was going to feel like a God.... or a Reaper.

He - very slowly - placed his wine glass back on the table, both of his hands coming back to grasp each other as he stared at Maldor, "but that would be a wonderful start, I admit. I can't exactly boast about the wealth of Kuat while I hold none of it, but I seek something from you, asset, a little less - potentially - costly," he teased. Calling Maldor an asset was a joke, merely to just stay on topic, "I understand you may be an expert, or have the experts, on Mobile Shipyards. If I provide you the details of what I want, would you build it for me? It would also be my home away from home, as that old Raider-class you saw is nothing to even bat an eye at. It's a cute little hollowed out transport, it is not a show of my might. I need a throne to show the Empire of the Lost that I have use. I can go and beat up primitives all day long, but that is not the might of a Moff. That, is Administration. When I reclaim Kuat Sector, it will instead become my Office."

cd2tDvH.png

Maldor was certainly not shocked to hear that Ethen intended to claim ownership over Kuat, its people, and its assets. His family's holdings were not called the House Mecetti Nationalized Industries for nothing. But he also knew you needed a foot in the door before you could kick the homeowner in the face and take everything from him.

As for being the best Moff?

That was nothing to Maldor. If he was allowed to develop his own sector of the Empire, he was sure he could make it productive and powerful. Being the best was a good way to put a targert on your back. He would content himself with being very, very good...

...And then working with a small and reliable coalition to accomplish anything he desired.

As he marched towards his own ends, Lecersen could become a valuable part of that coalition. Even if he didn't think of himself as part of it.

"You are quite correct that we are experts in mobile shipbuilding." By 'We' he was of course referring to the nationalized industries which his House controlled. "Our Grand Architect mobile shipyard even now is parked just outside of Imperial space, churning out products for the Empire.

As a gesture of support and friendship for an up-and-coming Moff, I believe I could arrange to manufacture a vessel according to your specifications, at cost. The profit between us can be in the arrangement and understanding we have reached. A commitment of mutual support.

We can build the hull and drive systems at Obulette, which has the capacity to begin work immediately. But we'll build it unarmed, to pass it off as a civilian ship for export. This will avoid all government restrictions. Then we'll bring it to the Grand Architect yards to fit the weapons.

We've been at this game a long while. The GA is laughably easy to circumvent."

If only he'd used that knowledge to keep his own interests from detection.

Ethen gave a small, hushed clap. Maldor had outdone himself by finding powerful schemes and loopholes against the Galactic Alliance. Ethen was absolutely envious this man got one over on the best. However, he hoped he would not become a rival. "You've outdone yourself, Maldor," he spoke up, "look at you, outsmarting the great Gallactic Alliance, after being outcasted and left with almost nothing. You are certainly beneficial to keep around. I hope I can provide quality services, back for you." He reached back over to the wine glass once more, taking the final sip of the beverage and placing it back down. Maldor was absolutely keeping his attention. "I'll have my men draw something up for you later, thank you for helping me with this. Now, you had some reasons to seeing me as well, didn't you? Not to kill me, I hope," he couldn't help it. He winked at Maldor with a grin.

rR0B1hV.png

You never kill a cow that produces milk, Maldor thought.

But what he said was:

"Delightfully, our interests have already aligned.

If I believed in the Will of the Force, I might call it destiny."

He shrugged.

"But what I truly believe in is the confluence of greatness. The eddies and currents of power.

And I believe that we are feeding into a powerful river, and flowing together into the same sea."

He picked up the bottle, re-filling his glass and offering to do the same for Ethen before lifting his glass in a toast.

"To the Future," he said.

Then, with a smile, "To Our Future."

(My final post)

Ethen was definitely happy about this, it was opening a door for Ethen he thought he could never achieve after his father was executed. He graciously accepted a final drink from Maldor, toasted, and drank it in one go. "Aaaah!" he expressed after taking it down in one go, he was going to have a pleasant sleep after this. As he prepared to leave, he turned to Maldor one final time, "a word of advice, Maldor," he said as he gingerly shook a pointed finger at the man, "don't give up on that youth. Live a little, enjoy life while you can." He looked down slightly with his eyes, "you truly don't know what you have, until it's gone..."

fin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom