Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob here for your precious and insightful advice!

Ahoy (Looks like a ship to me),

So, I'm an experienced RPer although I haven't been active as of lately. I was trying to get a table-top Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game going with some friends, but the GM was super flaky, so that died. But, I created such a fun character and it just broke my heart to think of him gathering dust in a mind-drawer somewhere.

So here I be! And I'm looking for the locals advice as is always a good idea. I've gone through the general rule boards, character creation boards, and faction boards, but I believe you all will be able to help me a lot more on here.

My Character is pretty thorough and I think interesting (Posted Below). But there are two things I'd love some advice on.

1. My character's bio ends with him alone, trying to find direction and funds to get his ship back from his mutinous first mate (yeah, he's Captain Jack Sparrow, in spaaaaaaaace). He was a pretty big deal in the cartel smuggling and general swashbuckling business, but is assumed dead, so are there any factions he should realistically be involved with, or should I have him sort of independent until something develops.

2. His ship... I'm not well versed with ships in Star Wars, an admitted blind spot of mine. If anyone has some advice as to what ship a character like him might own, and would be called "The Smoked Opal", I'm all open to ideas.

You're all beautiful people, and if you have any other edits you think should be added to the profile, I'm all ears. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, as far as sub-accounts go, this is a concept I'm unfamiliar with previous RP sites. Is there a forum elaborating a bit more on how to navigate this utility?

NAME: Daak Dakarra
FACTION:
SPECIES: Bothan
SEX: Male
HEIGHT: 5’4”
WEIGHT: 120lbs
EYES: Copper
HAIR: Golden-Brown
SKIN: Beige
FORCE SENSITIVE: No

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES (Required: 2 Weaknesses Minimum) :
Daak is a champion manipulator. His greatest ability is to get others to get him the things he wants. This applies from one-on-one conversation and persuasion to leading a team through a trying mission.

What Daak struggles with is his own ego comparative to his physical capacities. Daak is obsessed with his legend as a smuggler, pirate, and one who regularly defies the odds. This means that when the smart thing might be to run or surrender, Daak is more likely to become emboldened and charge into the belly of the beast. Because of his small size, this often means that Daak is charging towards a beast which can easily handle him. That is why Daak surrounds himself with the bulkier, more brigand style of comrades which can handle the more brutish of scenarios.
While Daak is brazen, he is also paranoid. Time spent captive, tortured, and betrayed has left him untrusting of any individual. He believes that you can really only trust people to eventually betray you, and as such he tends to plan obsessively over any outcome. It also means he has trouble getting genuinely close to people. He is incapable of inspiring people out of loyalty as he can’t get close enough to anyone to inspire. Instead, he leads based on mutual gain, favors, and blackmail.

APPEARANCE:
Daak comes from a short species, yet is on the taller end of that spectrum. His fur is the color of uncut wheat, and has eyes of polished copper. A scar on the left side of his snout has left him with a permanent smirk, which has turned out to be very fitting to his personality. He tends to wear a heavy jacket with a thick collar which runs up the back of his neck, followed by a couple layers of thin robes, lined with pockets and hidden slings. While it would appear as a fashion statement to others, his clothing choice is more of design. All along his back is the puckered skin of poorly healed wounds Daak earned when he attempted to rip off a particularly unforgiving Dug who had bigger friends than Daak did. The scars remind him of a time when he felt most vulnerable and helpless, and so he keeps them covered at all times. Also, Daak prefers to keep a holdout blaster and fixed blade dagger hidden at all times.

Daaks eyes dart around a room as he walks through and his fur regularly seems to be stiff and on end. However, in a conversation, his eyes fixate on his target like a wolf on its prey.

BIOGRAPHY:
Daak’s childhood is of little note to him. He was an orphan on a planet where Bothans were an irregularity. He was beaten. He was forced to learn how to survive. He survived. When he was 14 Daak first boarded a freighter as a hired hand for a local smuggler. In his mind, this was the day of his birth. Unfortunately, he was born into a team of what he would label imbeciles and morons. It didn’t take long before he decided that he could be more effective than the incompetent currently running the operation. So Daak did what any deceiving, slippery, bastard would and approached his boss’ boss, a notorious, yet minor, Hutt lord named Ootah.

The captain had previously betrayed Ootah’s trust, so the he was willing to hear out the young Bothan’s proposal. In the end, they reached an agreement. The Hutt would set up the captain to be taken out by an opposing smuggler. Daak had to play a pivotal role in the set-up, and in return he would receive the smuggler's ship, the Smoked Opal, and command of its crew. It wasn’t a sore deal for a then 15-year-old Bothan, but came with the contingency that Daak owed tithings to the Hutt lord, and could be called upon for any job he thought necessary.

For the next dozen or so years, Daak lived amongst scoundrels, cartels, and the nebulous clouds of the galaxy… and the occasional holding cell. While there was more than one authority’s cell he’d inhabited, the worst experience was with an unforgiving Dug called Pfitar Deluuda. Daak, in his vanity, had tried passing off twenty barrels of diluted spice as pure. It had been a gamble, and he’d lost. His crew was subsequently detained, or offered contracts as new hires. Daak was brought to a den of torment and unquestioning pain. For months, Daak served as a passing amusement for Pfitar who would occasionally arrive to vent his frustrations on the Bothan. The scars of this work run across his back, over his neck, and across his stomach muscles. After months reminiscent of an eternity in the cell, Daak was able to outwit Pfitar, free his first mate, and steal back the Smoked Opal.

The life of a smuggler, comes with its dangers. However, this never stopped Daak from his pursuits. His clever mind and sharp tongue was often enough to get him out of the closest situations and he used them with ruthless efficiency. Daak truly made the life of a smuggling hoodwink look easy. This was his folly.

Daak’s first mate saw what he was able to achieve and believed, much like Daak had at one time, that he deserved the title more. While they’d journeyed through much together his first mate’s greed outweighed his loyalty. Instead of going to the Hutt, who Daak was still in favor with, the first mate sowed mutiny amongst his crew. In his sleep they bound him, and they made for a desolate planet on the outer rim, who’s atmosphere was a mild toxin which would slowly incapacitate a Bothan over the course of several weeks. There they left Daak to die with nothing but the clothes on his back and an old hold-out blaster, and blasted out of the atmosphere with his ship.

What they didn’t know was that a competing smuggler used the planet as a drop point, and Daak was able to find her store-house, along with an ample supply of rations and Correlian Gin. When she inevitably dropped by, Daak was able to barter for passage off the planet and to more hospitable terrain. While he had promised to work to pay off his debt, Daak was more a man of words than a man of his word. He slinked away at the first chance he got, leaving his debt unpaid.

Daak is uninterested in serving others. What he wants is his ship. What he wants is his title as Captain of the Smoked Opal restored. What he wants is to string up his mutinous first mate by his hamstrings and let a Gundark use him as a chew toy. But with any plot of vengeance and glory, opportunity must meet preparation. So Daak’s journey continues…

Welcome to the board! If youre into tabletop rpg, maybe you and my frjend should get together, i recently convinced him to join. About your reference, if you wanna be technical, we do already have a [member="Jack Sparrow"] here :p And myself, whenever I make a lonely type like yours, I usually go with something with a lot of room, like a freighter.

[member="TomatoAssassin"]

Matreya

Pretty interesting. As Hook here said though, we have a sparrow, not to say you cannot be the same! Not only is that allowed, it happens frequently!

Any who, if you ever need anything, or wanna roleplay, tag me using the @mention under my avatar, or simply type @[member="Valashu elahad]

Well, I don't want everyone getting caught up on the character which motivated my profile. His history resembles the infamous Jack Sparrows, but he does have his own mannerisms and unique history.
I was looking primarily at freighters, as those are pretty standard fare as far as smugglers go, but I was hoping for more specific suggestions as to make/models to put into my character Bio.

Thanks!

P.S. My RP experience is weighed more heavily in online, writers RP than it is Table Top.

[member="Rylan Thatcher"]

Matreya

Not. In. The. Slightest.

Post it in char creation, and your great to go. Golden in fact.

At that point we can do some Rokna smoking and rum drinking at a bar or something.

A Bothan, nice! Welcome to the site fellow tabletopper. A shame to hear your GM couldn't keep up. I'm running a team myself and loving the system, I hope you get back into the swing of things at some point.

But for now, welcome to Chaos! :)

TomatoAssassin said:
SPECIES: Bothan
You have peaked my interest. Someone else made a Bothan? Incredible!

As for your first question, the Hutt Cartel or Black Tie syndicate are probably your best bets for factions, although I'm not sure of either's activity levels right now. Both are crime syndicates that have done a lot. We used to also have the Black Sun and Red Ravens, but they've both disappeared.

For the second, there's plenty of custom-made ships on the market. Silk Holdings is probably one of the biggest, but my own company, Heofon Industries, has a transport with shielding that's strong enough to punch through a blockade. Feel free to have one of those (Modified to your heart's content), if you wish.

If you ever need anything, give me a hollar.

Matreya

Up to you. Though if you use your writers account for it, I would recommend a name change to match the char.

A sub erases this need.

[member="Strask Ak'lya"], I don't think I understand... I have to purchase a ship of which already exists in my character's history? He might look at buying one in order to get his back, but can I not create a ship profile and then through the process of diligent story making have him re-attain it?

You don't have to purchase it. I'm not as sure as the others, but you can say that your old ship was a Holepunch, if you want to.

You can as a matter of fact submit a custom ship to the technology portion of the factory, located here:
http://starwarsrp.net/forum/72-technology-creation/
You would have to find a company to plaster their name onto it though. The other option though is to buy a ship, which usually is faster. However, if you do want to make one, I found a rather interesting design that would probably fit your character.
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/spaceship-concept-design-by-Karanak-23.jpg
I practically live on google, so I have loads of reference pics xD

Also, I wouldn't mind roleplaying with you if you'd like ^-^

Daak Dakaara

The Not-Quite-Captain of the Smoked Opal
[member="Strask Ak'lya"], OH! Well thank you the links! I really appreciate them, they're great sources. I'm going to scour them and find one I like, but the holepunch class is interesting... there's just no picture to accompany it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom