Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Man's Sky

Isamu Baelor

Protector of The Iron Realm
Jorus Merrill said:
and some folks are saying there are time-warp-related lore reasons at play.
Nah, that's pure hogwash.

Eurogamer reached out to Sony, who said that the "Online Play" information on the boxes are a mistake.

"Sony has told Eurogamer that the online play and increased age rating featured on limited edition No Man's Sky packaging is a "production issue"."

Steam has also amended the No Man's Sky store page, and listed the game as only single player.

There's two likely scenario's:

They pulled a Peter Molyneux, and promised stuff that they couldn't/weren't going to deliver on.

-or-

They intended for that feature to be present in the game, but weren't able to implement it. Considering some of the tech issues this game has, this is probably most likely.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
"No Multiplayer Sucks." :p

As a game, it's great. As a product, it is a colossal fubar.

Ultimately, it is blatantly obvious that multiplayer was to be a core feature of its design, and somewhere along the lines fell out of the pipeline (or perhaps simply got pushed to the end for technical reasons) where they simply forgot to remove the blatantly intentional Multiplayer and increased Rating marks from the packaging of the lesser-sold version. That's called oversight. It makes everything suck more because now it's not just a consumer misinterpretation but an evident failure.

I only know one person - one - who doesn't feel shivved by the lack of multiplayer interaction (because naming planets has such a profound impact on peoples' experiences, they really feel like they're in a living universe when they visit the planet of "Ididyourmom 2003"). If they do not add some form of it in the future, the game's ultimate longevity will suffer and their potential revenue will gradually begin to decline. The key here is that it's a full retail $60 game. It stands to reason based on all the hate generated that if they invest into rectifying whatever technical issues stand in their way, they stand to make more money then they'll spend.

The way I'd handle it, going off of the little personal experience I have with modding and networking, is that if there really was to be no player encounters, I'd try to get some form of private game hosting up in a later update so that at least friends or small communities can snyc up to each other - without the need for an MMO server setup. Even then, I doubt the server space needed for actual massive multiplayer would actually be much since everything can just be instanced and the chance of two players occurring in the same instance to generate it on the server would have been less than one percent anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVrDaudzn64​

Silver Fall

S
[member="Matthias Draay"]

On day Star Citizen will be out. Not Alpha like it is. Not Beta. But the "full" game. Maybe sometime 2018. But I'm an optimist. : ) And I can only hope it will be far more polished than this game. Then we'll have a real honest to goodness, good space explorer. Also with ground and space combat, capital ships, hopefully a fully functioning economy like EVE. And lots more. I can dream for now. And wait.

Ylva Alfrún

"Wolf Who Possess Hidden Knowledge"
Darben Skirae said:
[member="Ylva Alfrún"]

Have you ever heard of Starmade? It has Minecraft graphics essentially, and you can place blocks (just like Minecraft) as well as build ships, fight pirates, explore a randomly generated universe. There's also Space Engineers, but that I haven't played.

And on the subject of No Man's Sky, I preordered it for PC! I can't wait, being a fan of space shooters and fighter sims.
How are you enjoying the game thus far? I'm hesitant to pick it up, I've been hearing a lot of mixed feelings from reviewers I respect.

I am loving it! The exploration of the game, that's the only reason I got it. Just, the chance to see and explore a vast galaxy with a range of unimaginable creatures and flora, it got me really hyped. The space combat system I'm not too overjoyed on, but it does give a bit of a challenge. As for the Sentinels, I am hating them. Always ruining my fun. But like I said with space combat, provides a challenge. And who doesn't like a bit of challenge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom