Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nidhogg-class Void Dragon

leviathan-mostre-chitauri-avengers.jpg
Image Credit: Marvel's The Avengers
Intent: To create an organic light warship for use by the Horde
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Horde Shapers
Model: Nidhogg-class Void Dragon
Affiliation: The Horde
Modularity: None
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Organic Flesh, Alusteel Plates,

Description:

The Nidhogg-class Void Dragon was shaped from a species of giant, asteroid inhabiting worm native to the south eastern quadrant of the galaxy. Spliced with a combination of reptile, Sarlacc, and other DNA, the resulting creature is terrifying to behold. Reaching an average length of one hundred meters and plated with an extra layer of alusteel to complement its naturally resilient hide, this creature is a devastating weapon of war both in atmosphere and in the void of space. Both of which are environments that the creature appears at home in.

Built into the armored plates that adorn this creature are a number of rooms and compartments that descend into hollow sections of the creature's body and bulge forward above the head. Within these compartments dozens of Horde crew and soldiers monitor and direct the creature as well as operate a number of organic weapon-parasites that are shaped into the thick hide of the Void Dragon.

Even without the light assortment of weapons that adorn the creature, it is still a powerful and deadly opponent to areal and stellar targets. Fast, agile, the creature is capable of intercepting most targets larger than a starfighter and is capable of taring into said target with a powerful set of jaws and teeth that can pierce durasteel.

The creature moves in a way that is both reminiscent of whales swimming through oceans and a snake across the ground, but manages to utilize a form of biological solar-sailing to propel itself. This is supplemented by a pair of light Dovin Basal parasites that further assist in its propulsion. In atmosphere, a series of gas-bladders manage to successfully counter the weight of the creature and the alusteel that adorns it.

While the Nidhogg-class Void Dragon is often compared to a corvette, the ship lacks any form of hyperdrive unit. Instead of installing the rare and valuable organic parasites would be capable of allowing the creature to travel through hyperspace, the Horde instead utilize specialized carrier ships known as Jormungand-class Void Dragons to transport numerous Nidhogg-class Void Dragons into a combat area.

Vong Weaponry and Equipment
Light Plasma Cannons: 2 Laser Cannon value
Plasma Cannons: 2 capital weapons each
value based on Deck Cannon value
Rock Spitters: valued same as missile systems
Heavy Rock Spitters: 2x Missile weapon systems (not assault missile value)

Bio-Acid Jet: 1 capital weapon each
Close range weapon, similar range and tracking as Heavy Blaster/Heavy Laser
Damage value slightly greater than Heavy Laser or Turbolaser

Quill Launcher: 1 capital weapon each
muscles contract to launch a 4 meter long diamond-hard spike at high speeds
Comparable to Mass-Driver
Shorter range and slower speed, slightly higher damage output

Thermal-Larva Launcher: 1 Heavy Warhead Launcher
muscle contraction launches massive larva from host ship
Larva is launched at high speed and the shock of sudden acceleration 'activates' it
The Larva begins heating up and venting proton energy (or similar/appropriate energy)
Vented energy can be directed and manipulated, allowing larva to guide itself to target
Larva has dense, razor sharp spiked carapace
Larva impacts a target, explodes in a violent burst of energy and acid,
and carapace shards

Mature Dread Weapon: 20 Heavy Warhead Launchers
Young Dread Weapon: 10 Heavy Warhead Launchers

Dovin Basal: 5 defensive guns
Light Dovin Basal: 2 Defensive guns
Cannot be used for propulsion
Heavy Dovin Basal: 10 defensive guns
Also provides Interdiction
Also provides wider area of coverage

Hyvalisk Colony (Orbalisk)
Hyvalisks are tiny insects shaped by the Vong from captured Orbalisks. These tiny insects build hives in the upper layers of coral or in the outer skin of biological creatures. These insects can survive and move about in the absolute vacuum of space. These tiny creatures form thin clouds as they swarm over the surface of the ship they infect. This layer of insects deflects and absorbs the energy of incoming energy weapons fire in much the same way as a layer of ray shielding would. The cloud of insects is so dense that even projectile weaponry are slowed and deflected off course, allowing the insect swarm to perform a similar function as a deflector shield when withstanding all forms of weaponry.
These insects feed on the host ship/creature and breed rapidly. While millions of these insects could die during a few seconds of starship combat, these millions are quickly replaced and grow to maturity in time to replace those lost during the last barrage of damage the bio-ship withstood.

Classification: Corvette (Support)
Role: Heavy Attack Organism
Height: 15m
Width: 15m
Length: 100m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Beating Heart, Bioreactor,
Hyperdrive Rating: NONE
Minimum Crew: 18
Optimal Crew: 50

Armaments: support
1 Jaws and Teeth
4 Quill Launchers:
2 Young Dovin Basal Parasites:

Hangar:
48 infantry, 5 tanks

Non-Combative Attachments:
Solar Sail Organic Propulsion
Sensing Nodule
Targeting Brain
Navibrain
Qahsa Biocomputers
Villip Communication Organisms
Hyvalisk Colonies
Lorqh Membranes
Glow Lichens
Hau Polyps

Passenger Capacity: 100 Soldiers
Cargo Capacity: 200 Tons
Consumables: 2 Years
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 4

• Again, new weapons need to be subbed through tech.
  • Same deal on the solar sails as on the fighter that used them.
  • You need to submit the carrier ship before this can be used.
  • How can this bite through durasteel without breaking all of its teeth? It still has to get through any shielding first and any chunk it takes will be a few meters across, on any ship the same size and up it's not going to mater that much.
  • That is not an acceptable hanger for a corvette.
  • This ship can survive for two years without food?
  • Honestly, the Basals alone would probably be enough to fly this.
  • Hyvalisk Colonies, no. You have the Basals for a shield, needs a tech sub, stop breaking my physics.
[member="Captain Larraq"]

Domino said:
  • How can this bite through durasteel without breaking all of its teeth? It still has to get through any shielding first and any chunk it takes will be a few meters across, on any ship the same size and up it's not going to mater that much.
For one, it's teeth are denser than durasteel and its jaws are strong enough to force them through hull plating of frigate or smaller sized ships, or through vulnerable sections of larger ships.

Ray shielding is not a problem and Particle/Deflector shielding would obviously have to be brought down first. Possibly by massed Dovin Basal usage from a swarm of Vong bio-ships.

Domino said:
  • This ship can survive for two years without food?
Large reptiles, like crocodiles, can survive for unbelievable amounts of time without food. It's a matter of metabolism and efficient use of energy.

That being said, the 'two years' was for the crew, not the ship. Fuel and ammo are just as much an issue for this ship as any other. They are dependent on the activities the ship has participated in and the combat it has seen.

Domino said:
  • Same deal on the solar sails as on the fighter that used them.
  • Honestly, the Basals alone would probably be enough to fly this.
Star Wars is Science Fantasy and routinely (as I am reminded) requires a suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy. The mechanism of travel in the small ships allows for the enjoyed visual of these things actually 'swimming' through space while providing a suitably BS pseudo-scientific explanation as to how. Also, my intent with the weapons and technology I've come up with for the Vong is to tone some of the canon material down so that it can be farely balanced against technological ships. Hyvalisk Colonies as shields, Dovin Basal's toned down to function on par with a 'suitable number' of defensive weapons, exc.

But since we're now waiting on all the tech to get approved, I might as well just sub some BS pseudo-scientific means of propulsion through the tech factory. =p

Domino said:
  • That is not an acceptable hanger for a corvette.
Understood. I've no use for packing this thing with fighters though.
I hear that trading hanger space for increased speed is being considered/reviewed.
How about I drop the hanger for speed 3 on top of the speed 4 for being a support corvette?

Domino said:
  • You need to submit the carrier ship before this can be used.
The carrier for this thing is a 2,000m Gun Heavy monster that's currently cued for a hefty development thread. I just wanted to get everything sub-1,000m reviewed before I bothered with the final three ships.

just archive this.
I've put enough effort into the Horde's technology for them and I'm not in the mood to fight with staff over what should be a quick and minor review for play balance.
If they want it, they can sub it themselves and fight with you over it. I'm no longer in the mood for this crap and don't feel like wasting 5 weeks of my life to get everything pushed through the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom