Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship NH-VX "Star Fighter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley Fenstermacher

remeber it's not personal, just buiness
sebastien_kaczorowski_01.jpg

OOC Information
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: HSCS in partnership with Zayne Industries
  • Model: NH-VX
  • Affiliation: HSCS
  • Production: Mass-Produced, Open Market
  • Material:
  • Alurasteel
  • Ferrocarbon
  • Ballistic Impregnated Glass
  • Blaster components
  • Electrical Components
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Star fighter
  • Length: 12 meters
  • Width: Cockpit/main body 2.4 meters long, wing span 6m
  • Height: 3.3 meters
  • Armament: Low
    2xFAW-2 "Laser Cannon"
  • 2xProton Torpedo Launchers (4 torpedoes each)

[*]Defenses: Average

[*]Squadron Count: Average: 12
[*]Maneuverability Rating: Average
[*]Speed Rating: Moderate
[*]Hyperdrive Class: Average: 2
[*]Price: 85000 Credits
STANDARD FEATURES
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
Strengths:
  • Fastish: Faster then an X-wing having two S-foils removed though not as good as your classic A-wing but still a quick and nimble craft.
  • Robust: Despite its seeming light figure the use of Ferrocarbon and AluraSteel along with an above average shield generator makes the craft more robust then the eye would guess.
Weaknesses:
  • A little Under powered: With two less laser cannons the VX does not have the fire power to content with heavy fighters or deal damage to more well armed ships.
Description:
With the sister company of HLCS called HSCS up and running along with a new contract led lease agreement with Zyaine Industries Harley quickly commissioned the development of a new fighter. Such was to be an interceptor of sort with dog fighting capabilities as well, such a design taking inspiration from the classic X-wing star fighter. The resulting fighter named the XV (for it's V shape) is a perfect mix between the two old but still effective fighter.

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], this is about three ratings too high for a mass produced ship. You can balance this by lowering ratings, reducing production, or adding significant weaknesses to this design.

Harley Fenstermacher said:
Fast & Agile: Faster then an X-wing and more maneuverable having two S-foils removed, not as good as your classic A-wing but can run loops around most other fighters with ease.
If you'll change "most" to "many" in this sentence please. The issue with using 'most' is that it puts a hard definition of this ship's abilities compared to the majority of other vessels, which this submission can't by definition define: it may become very popular in the future for the majority of futures to have a "very high maneuverability rating, which would make this statement false. This is particularly true if with the "with ease" at the end of this same sentence. (Here's an article on the distinction between the two if you really want to get into it).

Harley Fenstermacher

I have changed that parts of the description to state "other fighters of same shape and build' as reference to being faster and more agile then ships ususual around the 12m mark, or does such ruin the strength part and male it more a feature?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Harley Fenstermacher said:
I have changed that parts of the description to state "other fighters of same shape and build' as reference to being faster and more agile then ships ususual around the 12m mark, or does such ruin the strength part and male it more a feature?
It's still the same wording issue. In general, we cannot define what other people's subs are like in our own submission. As an another example, I can't make a star destroyer and say that it is more heavily armed than any other star destroyer out there. It essentially puts other writers in a box, and it may not be true because of the different submission's ratings. Ratings largely determine how it compares to other subs. I'd recommend refraining from making any direct comparisons to other ships because of that.

This starship is still three ratings too high.

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], wording looks good now.

The ratings are still too high overall though.

For a mass produced ship, every time a rating goes above "average" (such as "average" to "moderate", or "moderate" to "high"), another rating needs to go down somewhere else OR a significant weakness needs to be added to compensate for this raise. It's always a trade.

So to compensate for this ship's maneuverability and speed being "high", something else needs to go down, since that's an overall increase of 4 ratings (2 each: average->moderate->high). Having an armament rating of "low" partially compensates for this, as that's one rating lower than normal. This means that there are 3 other ratings that need to be reduced to keep those rating at "high".

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], we're still one rating too high. Look at this way. Everything is average(0) but the armament and speed:

Armament: low (-1)
Speed: high (+2)

-1 + 2 => +1...one rating too high

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], if you removed one speed from High, it would actually be "moderate", which is higher than average. Starships actually uses a different rating system than the tech forum. Here are the normal rating options for starships in order of least powerful to most powerful:

None, Very Low, Low, Average, Moderate, High, Very High, Extreme.

Harley Fenstermacher

if that is the case shouldn't there be a rating between low and average to even it out? or is the extreme value just redundant?

Also if I make speed 'moderate' does that mean I will have to remove the fast&agile strength?

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], we could make various arguments about the rating system, but at the end of the day, it's what we currently have to work with.

I think that you could keep the "fast" part with a speed of "moderate", however, it would not be more maneuverable than an X-wing.

Harley Fenstermacher

Okay edited and changed, [member="Gir Quee"], but just a general question, how much is moderate compared to average? like how would you rp that? would i be like "the XV slowly gains on the X-wing, or the XV races past the X-wing"/

[member="Harley Fenstermacher"], there is no clearcut, defined answer to that, as ratings are all relative. I would hazard though that relative distance also plays a part in this example as well. A ship with a moderate speed would be better able to overtake an average speed ship at closer range compared to a long distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom