Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Thread Type

This comes from the fact that there are not really any true wars. Invasions are only small parts of a full war. Skirmishes are also small parts of a full war. So with the help from the man above, I come up with a solution for a real WAR thread type.
So let us begin.

Say the Republic goes against the One Sith, usually only a certain amount of ally members, well in this thread type, each faction chooses ONE faction to ally with them, and ALL members from said ally faction can join, making this thread type a HUGE thread.
With that said, there will be a full scale war with at least two threads happening at the EXACT same time. The goal of these thread is to have these factions pull in all resources in order to hold back against whoever is attacking. So its a offense, defense thread. Attacking factions must take, or destroy secondary buildings, in order to advance forward. This IS THE ONLY WAY TO MOVE UP. Till they reach the Primary building, they have not won.
So say the fleet in space have won, depending on which faction fleet won, can then begin to assist ground forces to either help advance, or push back the other faction. When the thread is done, factions must regroup and move forward into the other factions territory, this give defending factions a chance to take the offense.

So essentially we're looking at RISK, But the warring factions would be too focused on Warring it out to really DO anything else but fight. And the winning factor of the war would be say a KEY character's capture, or a KEY planet's capture. So maybe the results of this is major territory gain, and at anytime a other faction can call off the war, and retreat to whatever, as to whether they forfeit the KEY planet is up to Admin to decide. Really this can be edited to fit the Admins approval. I just want to see factions really go to a full fledged war, not these petty invasions., and skirmishes.

So please, take, or add to this as ya'll see fit. Think Battlefront.

[member="Romeo Sin"]
The point was that multiple skirmish and invasion threads are what make up a war. A war is just an over-arching title for a series of events that occur in chronological order involving two or more opposing bodies that will often result in one of three outcomes, whether that be that party A comes out on top or that they both split even and end the war in a draw. One thread will not be able to encompass multiple invasions, nor multiple skirmishes. At some point after 1000 posts things will become complicated, the reason for doing multiple threads for wars is because it makes it more organized. Sure, there is no literal thread header for 'War', but war very much exists. The Republic and the Omega Protectorate are at war with the One Sith, for example, and one shouldn't need to see a little bar that says War in red text on every thread to get that.

What you have described is literally multiple invasions on multiple threads with the allocated split of resources and characters between those threads. That can already be done by two differing factions working it out between each other and setting up similar rules for each invasion with a sign-up sheet or something of the like.

Also, just to point this out: An invasion is not a single battle. There are multiple objectives/battles in invasions that take place. Though most invasions seem to have one battle take precedence over others, that is not always the case.

Romeo Sin said:
Till they reach the Primary building, they have not won.
What is a building without the people in it?

You don't need to complete any object or fulfill set parameters to win a war. Once the enemy is completely destroyed, surrenders, or formulates a treaty are the only times a war comes to an end. Winning a battle or skirmish may not win the war, but it sure as hell helps.

I would say that while a single battle certainly cannot constitute an entire war, it can end one, start one, or be one of the turning points. What happens in an incredibly large fleet battle, or a battle that encompasses an entire planet?

I think with tweaking, this style of thread could work. The capture of a single planet cannot end a war prematurely, but it can mark a turning point. I don't think it would be possible to start a single thread somewhere in the middle of a war (a point where both sides still have supplies to continue fighting) and taking that thread to end the war. I think that one of these thread could be done in the middle or towards the beginning and it would severely limit the factions' abilities to continue fighting for a time.

I think it might be a good idea, but it would need tweaking to make a workable concept.

It makes sense. faction A and B dont have time to go after C and D after they just got done fighting each other, it doesnt make sense to have A win against B then suddenly now their after C. I mean when it comes down to it lets look at the WWs. We had Murica, England, Itatly, vs Germany, Japan, and Russia, which Im not sure you can even count that because Russia was going to both sides it seems, least that was what I was taught. It was the exact same war, not a war ends then another begins. It lasted for quite some time.

So in a sense...when it comes down to it, its not realistic to say that the Reps would get in a skirmish with OS, then after they won, go after IR in a invasion, they would push forward into more OS territory. Plus these groups have enough members to have a Skirmish up, and a Invasion up that are happening at the exact same time. We dont see those often enough on here I mean there was the OS vs Reps on Aldeeran, but the whole idea of seperating ranks in threads seems a bit...too much of isolation. Its a Padawans fault for trying to take on a SIth Lord alone. Besides we've seen Padawans take down Sith Lords by themselves canon wise. Obi Wan, Jacen, Ben, the list goes on.

Apart from this, the whole NPC factor comes in too, honestly Heroes dont win wars. They just dont. A single person CAN NOT win a war by themselves. There should be a way for NPCs to factor into a win, their there for a reason. Most of us dont want to interact with NPC soldiers, dont,instead DM NPCs vs NPCs, simple as that. Right? We have all these tanks, and soldier types, and what not, but they never actually show real face in these things, its always a big battle between two big heroes, (which is always fun to watch) that decides the war in the end.

Honestly we know a plane soldier can take out force users order 66, mandos, vong, stormies, etc. Just cause big hero A beats big hero B doesnt mean the war is over, some small fry may come, and destroy said big hero. Key buildings matter, they give advantage points, hold on territory, and what not. Theres more to war then hacking, and slashing, and killing every living being in sight, if anything thats slaughter not war. Its just a blood bath with no real objective, or strategy. We have all these resources that dont truly count to wars, expect what PCs are using themselves.

Thats just my opinion though, sure, the system now works, but it can be approved, and I feel we all should be striving to improve it, not settle with what we have. Instead of bashing an idea to keep change from happening, you should be throwing in your own ideas of how to better the system. Again just an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom