Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Things

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
It was pointed out to me a few days ago by someone that I write with a lot that most of my characters aren't really happy or gleeful. Sure they all have their happy moments and most of them have a good bit of humor, but none really use it as their baseline emotion. Most of my characters are stoic, serious, focused, or...well evil.

I personally think it's because in real life, I am a very happy go lucky guy and thus I shy away from writing it because I don't want to write myself.

Recently I've started this character, who I am attempting to write in a nature I don't usually write. So my question for ya'll is...What would you like to see me write? What should I try to stay away with on this character? Is there something I've done before you'd like to see again?

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Braith Achlys"]

I would like this character to not be something epic or legendary. I don't want him to become a hero or a force god, but rather just a regular guy that faces impossible situations and then goes home at the end of the day to do what he enjoys. I want him to have a good attitude about it and remain consistently happy.

Tho if you're asking me personally, I want to be a superhero. Probably Superman because he's basically god and can do whatever he wants, tho philosophy and powers wise I'd rather be Flash. Batman would be okay too because he's loaded, but lets be real he's not an actual superhero just some guy with a bat fetish.

But this thread isn't about what I want, rather other peoples opinions about what they would like to see and what I could improve upon. It's called cooperative writing for a reason ;)

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

I definitely want to see a more comical character! We've discussed how stories work best with both comedy and tragedy and the former is definitely something needed on the board.

Perhaps look into the stereotype of the typical 'fly boy' and work off of that some for characterisation ideas, but definitely stick to it because change is refreshing. ALSO ONLY WATCH TOP GUN WHEN YOU POST.

tumblr_mvn5jftNIJ1rlwl7yo1_400.gif
That was a joke.

Essentially, deep down in my soul I know that I want to see the Logan that never was (sans the blatant cowardice, obvs).

[member="Kurt Meyer"]
Your snarkiness makes me weak in the knees, O eloquent one.

For me to give you advice I'd like to know what your plans are first, because I haven't written with this fine specimen of a character yet. I like the idea for the character, though, and I think that - if you've been down in the dumps - maybe you should make him a little more of an optimist? I notice you reply to me more quickly (with another character) way faster than I even think of an idea of how to reply to your posts, maybe you should just step back before every post with this character - if writing sad has become your habit - and think of which possible reaction to a post would most suit this happy-go-lucky character.

Maybe be humorous in a lighthearted, non-depressing, way.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Braith Achlys"]

Optimist is definitely what I'm going for with Kurt, taking a step back before posts also isn't a great idea. Thank you :)

[member="Hal Terrano"]

I AM MAVERICK.

I think comedy is a bit tougher for me to write because sometimes I don't feel so funny, but I'm definitely going to attempt it and what we're talking about on skype now Is gonna be a great help I think. Thanks :)

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Braith Achlys"]

Taking a step back from posts or me is a way to lose muse. Part of the reason why I post so fast and instantly is because when I read something I become instantly inspired to write a response, this is especially true in passionate moments. The longer I wait the more I lose that passion. It's that way for both happy and sad moments.

Usually, the only time I take time to think about a post is when I am forced to(work, out, etc.) or when I have to think strategically(Duel, Fleeting).

I very much appreciate the advice though and will definitely keep it in mind :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Two options:

First. I find hobby writing easiest when I don't have to slip in-character. I just go with the flow. Whatever happens, happens. So I would recommend that whatever is easiest for you? Is probably the way to go. Casual and easy. Just splash ideas on paper and worry about the character bio later.

However. And secondly. If you're really looking to push yourself and do something more difficult? Focus on stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something crazy. Write an alien kleptomaniac who collects women's shoes and must smoke two cigars at all times or he begins belching bubbles. I find wild stuff like this can really help break up feelings of character mediocrity and same'ness by really breaking away from the mold. I even find myself chuckling as I have to think about writing this stuff. It's very freeing, always original, and you just don't find yourself judging ever.

The hardest thing for me as a writer to do is not let my IRL emotional state effect my writing when I sit down to post. When I sit down and say, "I'm bored". That often translates to my characters saying the same thing. "I'm bored." Likewise, when I sit down and say, "I need to blow off some steam". My characters suddenly find the urge to hammer out an Invasion with a massive machinegun. When I sit down and say, "Ooo, this picture is so cool!". Suddenly I'm off plotting new armors and dev threads for the Factory. I let my boredom control my writing and it always goes downhill from there.

Long story shot. If you can really control your own emotional impulses and actually find the power to write against them? You're writing will always improve. However, if you just throw your own unconscious emotional mindset and demand for entertainment at the RP? Shoot this, blow up that, pew pew pew whatever. Yeah. Your characters always suffer for it eventually. Even if that kind of writing is uber easy to do day-in and day-out.

Neither is wrong either. We just do what moves us. :D

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Great advice and i'll have to keep it in mind :)

Honestly, writing this kind of character comes easy to another side of me. Generally, writing Sith is super super easy for me. Arguably my greatest characters were Sith, it just comes naturally. This kind of character is different because...well I think I'm just following my own personal impulses rather than story ones.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Great. If you can recognize that? See that impulse and hold it clearly? Then yeah. You've got your muse and you've got your character. You're ready to rock and roll. :D

how this char came about still cracks me up.

But you already know about my thoughts on the matter when we brainstormed his creation. I love his sass, his optimism. His little rules after experiencing things. I like how he's a bit by the seat of his pants.

I can't wait until i see him flying in action.

Personally, I'm excited of you going into an area you normally don't go--and so far it's been great.

Getting him plugged into things is what always hooks you. Hopefully we can spam out our thread this weekend to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom