Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rule - Passive Aggressive Posts Disallowed

[member="Ayden Cater"]

As much as I strongly agree, that people do in fact fume a lot of their OOC comments or feelings into IC posts, some times it can't be recognized too easily. I'd like just to think what exactly would happen if this was a rule mended into Chaos. People would be going left and right reporting a character's "thought" or, some action their character did (i.e. flexing meowscles) offended them.

While people can be stupid enough to actually be passive aggressive, people can also mistaken that very easily, especially in that state of mind.

My suggestion is to simply ignore them, as the addition to this rule could lead to a little more than you put your money in for.

[member="Jartani Ponds"]

I'm talking about OBVIOUS posts of passive aggressiveness. The ones where there is literally no way to misconstrue what has been posted as being anywhere remotely close to a constructive post.

[member="Ayden Cater"]
In such cases a report would have to be made to bring it to the attention of staff regardless. An extra rule is not needed when the existing rules cover poor behaviour.

If such a post comes up, report it and it will be dealt with.

It's a sad state of affairs when this has to be discussed about it becoming an issue here.

Anything to help prevent newcomers feeling they're stepping into a volatile situation when it should be nothing but an enjoyable, innocent and fun one. Whatever helps make this - report button should be used more I feel and people not afraid to speak up and have respect for themselves and each other.

mr5RN4z.png

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Y'all are making me want to write in first person again.

On topic: Can't help but echo everyone above, honestly. I agree that there should be a line between blatant passive aggressiveness that serves no point, and snarky posts that outline faults in thinking et cetera. But the point is that anyone is always free to report a post if they feel offended by it - if they consider it bullying, flaming and whatnot.

I don't think there needs to be an extra rule made. I think people should be more critical about what they write and, more importantly, what they read. If it's not acceptable and proper discourse with the other writer can't be reached, then it should be reported.

At the end of the day, if proper procedure is followed a RPJ will take a single look at an overly aggressive post and knock it down a few steps.

Of this, I am sure.

Anything that makes it a little harder for people to be creative...I'm against.

Yeah, people do occasionally let their OOC spill into their IC, but we're all writers, and we should be mature enough to look past those moments and focus on the narrative. If someone writes in a way that we can't respond to it...don't. And then stop RPing with that person. These are choices you can make to improve your own RP experience, but there's no need to curtail theirs in order to do that. The only way you get to post whatever you want is if everyone else gets to post what they want. When you're finding someone hard to write with, stop. And if they've offended you, flag it to the Staff, and they can take it further if they absolutely have to. That should be it.

End of the day, it's not much to expect a little maturity from writers around here - and, realistically, if you write with someone being immature and displaying that sort of behaviour, that's when I'd expect you to be the mature party and stop writing with them. When they realise it's ticking people off, they'll stop. Or they'll leave. No need to make a rule out of it - that's proscriptive in a way that just makes a bad atmosphere around here, everyone afraid to write their own way for fear of offending anybody.

While we're at it, we should also ban faction politics, war, combat and any moment where two writers face off against each other. You know why? 'cause it's causing conflict on the board, generates frustration and makes people upset.

That would only cause the site to implode, mind you, but better that than offending anybody, surely?

Or maybe we can all act like adults and just enjoy the writing experience. I don't want to be the one that shortens that down to "get over it", but something tells me that might be the best approach here. Sorry!

Not really in favor of this suggested rule simply because I'm not in favor of censorship as a whole and this type of thing is approaching dangerously close to "if it hurt my feelings, it needs to be gone." It also blurrs and muddy a line that seems otherwise clearly defined on what is and isn't alright. If you're having trouble with someone report to the mods/admin and move on from it, ignore them, don't respond, etc, etc, etc. I think there are more than enough options to handle such a situation in the current site as it is to not need a brand new rule that could easily be abused and cause more drama than it solves.

Just my two cents.

I do not see the point of another rule which is technically already in place by way of no bullying or flaming. Aren't those who are reported and seen doing things such as mentioned, already punished? You could just have a addition to the bullying rule that covers the Passive Aggressive rule, basically defining a bit extra what bullying encompasses.

[member="The Traveler"]

It's a bit tricky to explain/define. But it's when an IC post is usually used to spite or make a personal affront to someone else, usually it's in secret but it's the passive aggressiveness and the fact another person has to read it that it is found. A hidden 'I hate you' or 'screw you' hidden in the message. Like how sly offensive sarcasm is. I unfortunately do it OOC sometimes.... something I'm trying to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom