Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rule - Passive Aggressive Posts Disallowed

I won't name names or link to any specific posts, but I think everyone knows what I'm talking about; the posts where little true RP content is present and instead the writer is venting all their OOC frustrating into passive aggressive (sometimes overly aggressive) comments.

To me, these sorts of comments achieve nothing and only serve to harm the site as a whole. They perpetuate spite and ill-will, they destroy any semblance of story within a thread, and in general serve only to turn away new members who are potentially reading them. After all, why would a new member want to stick around if this is how they see other people acting?

I know the board does not have a rule or standard regarding most posts and their content, but I feel like this is a reasonable thing to ask of people and to codify within the rules.

Its reasonable, its more a problem of some writing styles though. Ive seen people mistake a IC post for OOC hostility more times than i can count, and even more that were truly OOC hostile. It is hard to tell the difference between the two sometimes.

But then what would I do with all these GIFs I've saved [member="Ayden Cater"] ?

HoKCvmI.gif

This can be very subjective, but on a whole I agree with you. These posts do not contribute to the story and only serve to lash out at writers OOC rather than encourage calm, rational dialogue in appropriate OOC posts and forums.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

Most IC posts are written from the character's perspective, so if a Sith encounters a Jedi, their distaste for one another will be described in the post. Is that considered passive-aggressive under this ruleset?

I think general respect is a must from an OOC perspective, but if it's in the roleplaying forum (and as long as it's explicitly towards other characters, not writers), I think anything goes.

If you get offended when someone else's character doesn't like your character, I think it's time to put down the internet and go find some concrete to ingest to toughen you up.

While I can see where you're coming from as there is some rather over the top venom spewed forth ICly, I think this rule is too difficult to enforce and slightly encroaches on free speech. Not to mention, it'll make people question how much they can talk poodoo ICly.

I have been inadvertently (and sometimes I think purposefully) guilty of this in the past. I won't lie - I've been an ass to people and let personal feelings get in the way of enjoying what I am good at, and in turn damage the overall bigger picture...that is telling a story of course.

As much as I wanna say we're all human and this is natural - we're all adults and capable of being civilized if we focus on what we're here for. As much as I know she has been right, regardless of how much I hate to admit it (That someone else was right >_>)- [member="Cira"] has always pointed at having fun and letting things go, as well as letting it uhm, flow. [member="Ember Rekali"] really harped on this as well, but it's a bit harder to take advice from him - unsure why.

Either way, I couldn't agree more in summary. We should be able to focus our comments, concerns and overall suggestions into a more positive manner.

If you can't - then have someone else look at them and get feedback or read it back to yourself and ask the question: "Does this sound aggressive?" "Does this sound like it would come off the wrong way?" etc.

Just my thoughts.

[member="Gerion Ardik"]

Some combination of letters and envious smiley faces, obviously.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

Some people have writing styles that have that leaning. But that is a fine brush stroke compared to the ink blots you are referencing. I agree with you, they are bad for the site and they are bad for the story. Serving no real purpose besides being passive aggressive.

Wretched Vampire
I don't understand why this needs a particular rule or how it would be practically enforced?

If someone is being completely odious can't you just report them?

I'm sure there are plenty of passive aggressive posts that don't warrant admin intervention.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

And where do you draw the line between OOC banter and OOC passive-aggressiveness? If the 'victimised' party complains? What if the 'aggressive' party was genuinely joking around? It's hard to tell when everything's text based.

I just foresee this rule as rather hard to enforce.

I owe two cents or pence or whatever to this.

I will admit, sometime's jokes of mine are harmless but the way I write them makes them sound slightly passive aggressive. The whole thing is that if you feel I have said something that is passive aggressive or accidentally offends you then feel free to PM me and i'll apologize right there and then. Simple as.

IC posts fall under an ambiguous nature that can be misconstrued and misrepresented. Would be difficult to police or write policy on, I think.

However, if you feel an IC post is intended at your or another in an OOCly harmful way, it can fall under the general forum rules of bullying and flaming.

4. Harassment and abusive behavior is absolutely not allowed. This includes trolling members and racial, sexist, religious, ethnic, sexual or political remarks that can be considered derogatory.
While reporting a post should always be your last measure and the RPJs will continually ask that you talk it over with the original author first, reporting it is always an option.

Hamish McNair said:
[member="Ayden Cater"]

And where do you draw the line between OOC banter and OOC passive-aggressiveness? If the 'victimised' party complains? What if the 'aggressive' party was genuinely joking around? It's hard to tell when everything's text based.

I just foresee this rule as rather hard to enforce.
You have no idea what the other person is feeling or thinking.

It might be hard to enforce but people should have enough common sense and be adult enough not to try to push the boundaries to where it needs to be enforced. If the rule is present and people are aware of it, then well - really is it an issue at that point? Would you blatantly break the rule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom