Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private New Faces, Old Cantina

Coruscant floor: Surface
Tags: Liedran Kathause Liedran Kathause

"Lords above what a day," Thought Kinhaes as she walked through the busy streets of Coruscant. She had just spent over Fourteen hours doing training on her defensive style, the iconic Form 3; Soresu. She had gotten extremely perfect at the style allowing her to go on for almost an hour of blocking, redirecting and counters before becoming too exhausted to openly attack. Her mentors urged her to learn some offensive skills, so she was also taking steps to learn Form 5; Shien. But all that had savagely reduced her ability to go on training for the day. Both her mentors and peers had noticed her dedication to training that she was lacking in full attention and energy. Whilst they were impressed with her, the mentors present told her to take a break for a while before continuing.

Having decided to take a walk and get some air, Kinhaes found herself arriving at a local Cantina that was usually well known for being one of the more quiet and peaceful ones around. Taking a seat at the bar, Kinhaes waved the barkeep's attention over to her. "Nerf Milk, please," Kinhaes said, ordering something non-alcoholic from the list before her with her exhausted mind. With at least a drink in front of her, she just sat there, wanting something other than training to do at that exact moment. Both the silver engraved lightsabers hung off either side of her waist, the black and dark brown clothes hanging on her back. Even though she had been walking for some time, small patches of sweat was still present along her back and neck. It had truly been hard the last few weeks.

Traumatized Carrier-Loving Mess
Her vision turned red, then...

Liedran's eyes read nothing from the surrounding room, soon finding herself gripped by pitch-black surroundings, and quickly registering the fact that she was falling.

The crimson glow flared up once more, now accented by the feeling of a table's blunt edge slamming into her side and forcing a scream. That was when the emergency generators brought light back to Pegasus's rattled bridge. But at the same moment, the commodore slumped to the ground.

Since the Battle over Kril'Dor, she had begun to relive the same events with greater frequency, and with greater vividity in each occurrence.

Pain from the nightmare an hour prior lingered in her hands, festered in her nerves, all while Liedran slid through the door. Quickly, she was met with the warm glow of the cantina's interior, and with the loosely-organized groups of patrons scattered about the foyer. Just as quickly, she had begun to slip between the cracks in the gathered groups; strolling with the posture of a military officer, despite being dressed in simple, civilian attire.

Old habits were hard to kill...

A graceful series of steps led her into a vacant stool at the counter's head, bordered on both sides by a younger Zabrak and a stocky Bothan, though the two drew little attention at first.

"Any Chandrilan Blue?" The corners of her lips formed a gentle smile while she raised her eyes to the bartender's.

"Got a vintage in mind?" The bartender quickly read her expression, and just as quickly dismissed the query, " '846 coming up."

Liedran ran another visual sweep of the surrounding area, pausing in her tracks when a bright metallic glint caught her eye, and carefully scanning for its source. But when her eyes set on the Zabrak's lightsabers, she turned away. The jedi brought back memories, to say the least. In more specific words, the other patron, and the others like her brought back images of the Concord frontier, and her own work with the likes of the Silver Jedi in their skirmishes against the Bryn'adul. They brought back memories of the massacres at Sev Tok and Charros IV.

Nonetheless, Liedran was anything if not curious, and an explorer's mindset chose to dictate her actions. And the explorer in her brought a friendly smile to her expression.

"A jedi on break? That's a first."

The Dark Inquisitor The Dark Inquisitor

Having stayed in the Cantina for a short while already, she was slightly surprised to find that the establishment was already packed of merry folk from around Coruscant. Not to say that she really payed them any mind. She had remembered an experience with her old master and a Cantina. That day taught her to always be wary of drunks that think they're hotter scrap than they think they are. She remembers clearly having to be halted by her master for almost drawing her weapon on the drunk. It was his fault though. He was saying so many bad things about her, just because her race was unusual with the Jedi Order. It still brought her blood to a boil just thinking of it.

It was when a voice of a woman next to her spoke that Kinhaes turned to see her drinking buddy for the next hour. "Well, it wasn't my idea," she said, giving a sheepish smile before adding, "My mentors told me to take one." Even though her skin was a deep red, some clear bags were present under her eyes. It was still fairly early into the afternoon and she was already looking like a bed would be viable in any shape for her to sleep for a whole week. "They think that I train too much for my own good," Kinhaes commented, giving a small hand based shrug before continuing on, "I mean, I've only trained for Fourteen Hours today. That's hardly enough for me to get any progress." Her efforts, whilst determined, had warranted some worry from others. But she knew why she pushed herself that had. She had to be better and prepared for the future. "What about you? You've got the look of an officer about you. Even as a Civilian," Her intuition was often right when gauging someone's job line just from a quick look over. One of the habits her master taught her to do.

"I mean, I've only trained for Fourteen Hours today. That's hardly enough for me to get any progress."

Liedran remained quiet in the face of the jedi's remark, her energy instead spent mustering a sympathetic smile while she looked the Zabrak up and down, only to catch tens of visible signs of exhaustion.

But before she could make her own comment,

"What about you? You've got the look of an officer about you. Even as a Civilian,"

She received her drink a matter of seconds afterward, now gently taking hold of the delicate glass and pondering her next words.

Liedran, of course, made little effort to hide the hints of authority in her appearance and voice, aside from a change in attire. The observation had taken her off guard nonetheless. And not having expected to talk about her work, she let her hand hover idly over the glass's rim, searching in the meantime for a response.

"You're very observant," She bought herself another few seconds with the compliment. Deliberation followed, her available time spent quelling unease and otherwise composing herself. Then, Liedran's arm extended, a faintly-scarred hand held out with as much dignity as she could manage at the moment, "Uhm... Commodore Liedran Kathause, Third Expeditionary Squadron. I'm on leave until my flag transfers can be processed," She made no move to elaborate further, however.

When she had entered the bar, Liedran had resolved to forget those details of her career, however temporarily. And saying any more would require recollection of Kril'Dor, several entire vessels' worth of death, her own flagship's destruction at the Brotherhood's hands...

There were other subjects to discuss.

Listening to the woman beside her confirm Kinhaes' assumption that she was an officer, she felt a small level of joy. She had joined an expeditionary team before, mainly to a small asteroid that housed a rather special secret. Her eyes glanced at the way she moved before taking Liedran's hand in a mutual handshake. "It's wonderful to meet you, Commodore Kathause," Kinhaes said, an expression of comfortable content on her face. "My name is Kinhaes Maluibon, Padawan of the Jedi Order. I'm here because I was made to," She said, her face shifting from calmness to a small smile and chuckling to herself. Something was off. Something that she could feel emotionally from her newly named fellow patron. It wasn't the best feeling. It was a small feeling of dread or pain from her. There was something she was trying to not think of. Something that caused pain, sadness and maybe terror.

Wanting to move past the topic that might cause the hurt, Kinhaes released her hand and took a sip of her Nerf Milk. It was a pleasant drink. Just right for her. "So, do you always have such a high quality taste in drinks?" Kinhaes asked, raising her own fairly obviously non-alcoholic beverage up from the counter. Her expression was full of light hearted happiness. It wasn't her training, but it was still wonderful to meet others from the GA.

"My name is Kinhaes Maluibon, Padawan of the Jedi Order. I'm here because I was made to,"

"Worse things have happened," She now gently withdrew her own hand from the handshake and turned back to her drink.

A delicate grip formed around the glass's sides, a similar amount of care applied as Liedran brought the wine to her lips.

"So, do you always have such a high quality taste in drinks?"

She caught sight of the jedi's nerf milk, immediately noticing the disparity between the two drinks and quite nearly feeling embarrassed for herself. Though, on the bright side, it was taking her mind of other topics...

"Whenever I get the chance to apply it," Liedran drew in a sparingly short sip of the Chandrilan Blue, gently brightening her smile while she took in the sweetened taste of the grappaberries within, "You can thank my old man for that. Say what you want about lawyers, but uh... they have good taste in liquor."

She paused momentarily, her smile breaking for the briefest of seconds.

Liedran would have been a lawyer, had she never hunted for revenge, had she never lost a brother to the universe's grasp. She could have lived back on Chandrila, safe, secure... But she had instead spent her life on a never-ending quest for- She didn't know what anymore.

A deep breath followed, and the smile slipped back onto her face while Liedran began to take in Kinhaes' own.

She remembered being that young, that positive.

"So. What exactly do you have against taking a break? If you don't mind me asking, that is."

Liedran was a nice lady. Nice enough to share a drink with anyways. Hearing how her father was a lawyer and had a great taste for the alcoholic greats brought a smile to Kinhaes' face. "Sounds like a smart guy," she said, internally she wondered. "When was the last time I talked with my own family?" Her face didn't change, holding in the question that grew from both her heart and mind. It had been a long time since she had last spoken with them, through hologram or in person.

Keeping in mind what was going on around her, Liedran's question brought her back to the conversation. "Well, my master always said that if I could be doing something, it was bettering myself with my skills," Kinhaes answered, her face slightly falling after saying so, "He was a good man. Dedicated to the Order, my training and my safety above all else." Kinhaes' hand tightened on her mug. She could still remember that day, even if she was 11 at the time. A young Padawan who knew nothing but the thick walls of the temple going to venture to a planet in need. The moment it happened. What she saw.

"Everyone as their own demons," Kinhaes thought, her face less happy than before. She could still see the saber of red that finished the deed that day. Her hatred started from that day. Her eternal want to destroy and cut down any of that in her path. "But, he's not around any more," Kinhaes said, taking a heavy drink from her Nerf Milk.

Liedran froze for one of the longest seconds in her life, deathly silent as she made downcast eye contact with the countertop. She should have known what kind of memories she'd awake with the question. And yet, she asked anyway, and she had paid the price. No... Kinhaes had paid the price...

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have-" The words rushed from Liedran's mouth, unrestrained regret infesting each.

She went quiet again, quickly resigning herself from further speech lest the situation devolve further. When she regained enough composure, her head turned gently to the left, eyes hiding looming horror while scanning the jedi's expression. Liedran thought she saw a red glow flicker inside Kinhaes' less enthusiastic eyes, though the display was lost within a moment.

Her sight returned hurriedly to her quite-nearly untouched glass of whiskey-- she had been preoccupied with her conversation until then, and even with the break in speech, the commodore couldn't bring herself to take another sip. Rather, her mouth fought to open, as if she were about to say something... Only to close once again.

The Dark Inquisitor The Dark Inquisitor
[So sorry for the wait]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom