Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Aquaman Movie

Did you Agree with me yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
​Alright lets get one thing out of the way this will have MAJOR SPOLIERS for the new Aquaman movie and possibly other DC movies alike so is you have not seen this movie or other DC movies I highly recommend that you go see those movies BEFORE getting into this thread and because they are really good movies and I share a deep appreciation for these movies no matter how badly I talk about them which I no doubt will now lets get into it.

Now as I just abbreviated I feel that Aquaman was a amazing movie in its own right it had good general idea about where it wanted to take Aquaman's character and others involved. Now while I feel this was a great movie I feel that it had some major flaws in it and I would like to name a few. First off the impact that this movie had on the DC universe as a whole was minimal at best when you really think about it. Aquaman saves a few people in the movie takes a picture with some bikers and does the typical hero thing but makes a arch nemesis when he stops a pirate attack and leaves the father of black manta to die.

​That is pretty much the BIGGEST impact that Aquaman's adventure actually has on the outside world in this movie. The only other thing that affects the outside world in this movie is when Ocean master throws all the trash and ships out of the ocean. While this is pretty bad other than that this doesn't really have a HUGE impact on the outside world because the ACTUAL fighting happens underwater in Atlantis where the 'Dry-landers' Are not really involved. Now my other problem with this movie is that it feels like a corporate cliché.

​Now to understand what I mean ill give a brief overview of the story: The queen of Atlantis is discovered by a man living in a lighthouse on the shore the two like each other and get married bearing a kid that naturally got powers, The queen eventually has to return to Atlantis leaving her son behind to be trained by a wise old man that is on the high council of the Atlantis people. Aquaman uses his powers to help people eventually leading to the pirate attack I talked about earlier he then learns the Orm his brother who is not a half breed is planning a attack on the surface so he travels to Atlantis to stop him only to have his butt kicked so he runs away with the help of a princess named Mera to defeat Orm they seek out a magic trident only to be pursued by Black manta but the two get away manage to find Arthurs mother who was in exile, they retrieve the trident and use it to stop Orm and save the world.

Anything about that seem familiar? Because to me it sounds like what happens when you mix Karate kid star wars and add a Hint of tomb raider and while all those movies are great this does not help to provide any new content. Movies need to constantly come up with new content subvert expectations and have the audience leave feeling satisfied and overall feeling that they watched something that was new and original. Aquaman did none of these things the content they showed was not original and was borrowed from other successful films, It did not leave the audience feeling that they viewed something that was never before done in film making, And lastly and most disappointing it did not subvert expectations and that is not a good look when a Aquaman film is being made. Considering no one really expected much from the character of Aquaman this film had ample opportunity to stun the audience and leave them in awe but no it didn't and that gets into my next problem with this movie.

​The plot wasn't that interesting and was to easy to follow. Now don't get me wrong plots should be simple and easy for the audience to follow but the plot of Aquaman was too easy to follow and that makes for two problems. One of them being that it makes the plot uninteresting because you can already see where the characters are headed and where the movie is going to end. And the other means that the audience will no longer be engaged with the movie because they will not feel as though there is anything good or attention drawing to take from the movie making for a production that is impossible to have thoughts opinions or in general a standing within the movie.

​My next problem is that the plot didn't really seem to be moving forward on its own. Now one of the main purposes of having villains in a movie is that they are plot devices and move the plot forward and my problem with the villains in Aquaman is that they didn't really seem to do anything. One black manta all things considered only got about 15 to 20 minutes of screen time and I was hoping we could have gotten more out of him he was a great villain during the time he did get on screen but other then that he wasn't necessarily active and had no great impact on the plot of the movie. And the worst part at the end of his screen time he just disappeared just left the movie altogether leaving us feeling cheated and confused. While I am aware he was not the main villain he should have got more screen time. Besides the MAIN villain ocean master didn't really do anything other than threaten the heroes and fight them at the end and beginning but other than that nothing.

My last and problem with this movie is that the continuity failed to line up correctly. While this is not a big issue I find it incredibly annoying that the rest of the justice league didn't show up to help Arthur EVEN THOUGH Steppenwolf is mentioned in the movie meaning justice league already happened but this is not the biggest issue by a long shot.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
personofinterest said:
the impact that this movie had on the DC universe as a whole was minimal at best
  • Arthur stops Atlantis from destroying the surface world/subjugating it to a tyrant/corrupt king
  • Creates 3 enemies
  • Arthur officially takes command of the largest military force on earth. NOTE: How they handled Atlantis on the surface was a little stupid. In the comics atlantis is a known quantity and it should be so in the DCU, my only gripe.
Those are some pretty significant impact as well as power shifts on Earth.

personofinterest said:
Anything about that seem familiar?
It does...because that's been his origin story for decades as well as a comic arc several times, most recently in the New 52 Reboot which the DCU seems to be borrowing from heavily. Its supposed to sound familiar. Its not a corporate ploy as much as it is an adaptation of several story arcs in Aquaman's long history

personofinterest said:
I find it incredibly annoying that the rest of the justice league didn't show up to help Arthur
Why was this an expectation? This never happens in superhero movies unless its said/supposed to be a crossover movie or the characters have a close relationship with the hero in that universe (Ala Tony and Peter in the MCU) Aquaman has always been more of a loaner and issues of Atlantian politics have rarely really involved all of the Justice league

It sounds like you went into this movie with all of the wrong expectations irrespective of the genre/hero origin/hero history :/

Okay first one was MOST definitely on me I probably should have specified that I meant that this movie didn't EXACTLY have a impact on the outside world. Not that I felt that the danger shouldn't be originating from Atlantis more that I feel that if it appeared to have more of a greater impact on the surface other than the movie telling us it would be bad for Ocean Master to invade the surface.

Second yes now that it is clear that this wasn't a corporate ploy this extremely raises my approval of the movie. But even then I still feel that the writers should have done a little more to adapt this origin story to more of a original storyline. But still you severely raised my approval of this movie so thanks! :)

Okay thirdly this was ALSO on me I should have been more specific again. I wasn't saying that this should have been a justice league movie or anything of the sort I'm saying that they should have been mentioned at least more than ONCE this whole time. For instance it would have been cool if someone suggested calling the justice league and Arthur or someone else said no.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
personofinterest said:
someone suggested calling the justice league and Arthur or someone else said no.
The only people he was dealing with were Atlantians. Sure they might know the "Justice League" but at this point the Justice league isn't official in ANY capacity. There's no watch tower, no established communication (especially considering at the end everyone kind of went their separate ways), and its pretty clear throughout the film that Atlantians are very much private people and all of them were bleeding nationalists in their own way. None of them would want a land dweller to interfere. It would have also probably delegitimatized Arthur's claim to the throne if superman or wonderwoman were flying through atlantis helping Arthur solve all his problems.

You know I will admit you make a valid point and I can definitely see that you are a person that is thinking long term. Not to assume anything about you.
Though I would just like to point out Arthur wasn't really interested in helping mere plus part of the conflict in this movie is that Orm feels Arthur is less than or something of the sort because he's a half breed.

But seriously in general how did you feel about the movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom