Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Planet NE-056 "Islyyr II"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmKay

zLpbakw.jpg

Name: Islyyr II

Region: Outer
System: Islyyr
Suns: One sun, Islyyr, Blue Giant (7R☉)
Orbital Position: Close habitable zone -- extreme conditions on sunlight facing side.
Moons: Two natural sattelites: Veth (The smaller) and Zsii (The larger)
Coordinates: Link to Image Detailing Location
Rotational Period: 24,576 hours (Almost the same length as the orbital period)
Orbital Period: 1,024 standard days.
Additional Planetary Information:
The planet exists in a very precise part of the orbital spectrum in relation to its star. Enough to superheat the side facing the sun and keep the side of the world facing space cool, like most planets that maintain one side facing their star for prolonged periods of time. The night side is typically clear-skied and has gorgeous views of the rocky moons, and the day side is covered in constant clouds, a result of the evaporation and volcanic ash of the day side. Greenhouse gasses trap condensation to a location well past the meridian, where the cooler air allows the mixed water vapor, gasses, and ash to finally condense and form the oceans of highly acidic and toxic water that is black as the volcanic rock below. The slow rotation of the world allows this cycle of changing environment, and the local creatures have learned to migrate in tandem with the slowly rotating planet.
Class: Terrestrial
Diameter: 13,122km
Atmosphere: Type I, but the volcanic daytime climate makes Type II-atmosphere preparations advisable.
Climate: Night side: Oceanic, Day Side: Volcanic
Gravity: Night Side: 0.8x Standard, but the greenhouse effect of the volcanic side can add the illusion of higher gravity via pressure.
Primary Terrain: Two fold. A common denominator is mountainous terrain on both halves of the planet, however on the night side it would be oceanic and on the day side it would be volcanic and craggy, pockmarked with lethal hot springs of leftover water and sulfur.

Native species: Vek'thot (Flying carnivores that use echolocation to locate prey -- they prefer the night climate), Akk'thot (Worm-like creatures with thick hide and rock-like plating that eat the volcanic ash and earth -- they tend to stay in the daytime climate), Podin (Whale-like creatures that stay in the coolest parts of the Lyyrian night), Crykk (Dog-sized amphibians that have two distinct variations based on if they live in water or lava). Please notify if factory submissions are required for these creatures.
Immigrated species: Small populations of Trandoshan, Human, and Geonosians have tried colonising, but ultimately failed. Their remnants can be found sparsely on both sides of the planet.
Primary languages: Galactic Standard Basic (If I had to choose one)
Government: Anarchistic (There is no centralised government)
Population: No significant sentient population.
Demonym: Lyyrian
Major cities: N/A
Major imports: N/A
Major exports: N/A
Affiliation: Neutral.

Culture: N/A
Technology: Primitive/Obsolete. Ruins of abandoned outposts are highly outdated and would not have technology up-to-par with modern technology.
History: In the times of the Old Republic, the Islyyr system was discovered. There were a few planets in the system, all of which were inhabitable for one reason or other, but the second planet from the sun was deemed potentially habitable -- so Islyyr II was christened. The world was soon swarmed by colonists seeking to take purchase on this world, not realising the dangers. When they landed on the day side, intense heat robbed the more repiratorily sensitive species of oxygen and suffocated them, while the more adaptable creatures pressed on but lost to the volcanic terrain. When they attempted to colonise the more pleasant night side, they soon found out that there were lethal predators that easily picked off and devoured the poor inhabitants. They were unable to even develop a staging area to create a subaquatic colony, and when they realised that the planet's rotation made a lethal cycle, they abandoned the idea altogether. So the planet was labelede NE "No Exploration" 056. The label stuck through the databases even until modern times, chroniclers ensuring nobody dared to set foot on this wild and hostile world. This never stopped many people throughout the ages, however. There would always be a group from Jedi to Sith, Republic, mercenary groups, all manner of individuals have tried and either failed to achieve or eventually abandoned colonies and bases on the planet.
Notable PC's: None currently.

Lunar Information:
Veth is a small rock that orbits Islyyr II. It is thought to be a captured asteroid that was melted and beat into shape by asteroids and the hot star. Zsii is a larger moon that may have been a merger of asteroids and was also shaped by the heat and impacts -- it is also theorised that Zsii started out as a dwarf planet closer to Islyyr before moving outward and being captured by Islyyr II's gravity. The larger of the two moons orbits closer than the smaller, and they both travel the same speed around the world.

Intent: To provide an eventual base of operations and land of exploration, discovery, and challenge for Atretes Rhoujen in the future. It will span many threads, or one very long thread.

Hello, hello! I will be looking into this today with you.

First of all, I’m not actually sure there is such a thing as a blue dwarf…not in this context anyway! A blue dwarf from what I’ve seen is a hypothetical stage for a giant star as it shrinks down before it becomes a white dwarf. Naturally this is not really possible here.

Regardless, the night and day side would not be consistent, and since it rotates every 32 hours, that means the night and day side changes frequently. Right? I mean, there’s no permanent day or night side on Earth or any planets.
From this I also have to ask how a ‘dwarf’ star can heat the planet so much, yet not kill the animals or boil the oceans. It would either have to be very close to the star or…something?

Submitting the species isn’t required unless you intend them to be used in RPs against other writers.

Gravity doesn’t change based on the side of the planet, especially as we’ve just determined that there’s no such thing.

Please mention me when you are ready.
[member="Atretes Rhoujen"]

EmKay

Well since you're on now, I reason it would be wise to get revisions out of the was as soon as possible for efficiency's sake. It appears I had a few lapses of attention to detail in trying to fill out everything in a familiar way. Funny how that happens.

I shall revise the necessary elements, however I was unsure what the opinion would be regarding blue dwarf stars, since such things have appeared in Mass Effect certain Sci-Fi video games.

EDIT: Also, the difference in gravity was how I had tried to represent the pressurisation. The planet's natural gravity is 0.8x standard gravity, but the greenhouse effect on the volcanic side has a major effect on perceived gravitational force.

EDIT II: Rotational and Orbital periods corrected.

[member="Tamara"]

A geosynchronous orbit isn’t possible between a star and a planet. Even if it is a slow rotation it will eventually rotate.
The physics involved in rotation means that unless they unless the planet is rotating at the same speed as it is going around the star, this would not be possible, and that in itself is not possible.

I get what you’re going for, but it’s not possible, it will need to be changed.

As for the gravity, even were the above possible, it would not manifest itself in that way.

EmKay

Oh. I was unaware that a planet in geosynchronous orbit with a star was impossible given that (pre-retcon) I was told Ryloth was geosynchronous. Would an excruciatingly slow rotation be sufficient, then?

EDIT (aside from the typo):

"One side of the planet perpetually faced its sun and the other remained in darkness, a phenomenon known as tidal locking. The dayside was referred to as the Bright Lands and the night-side was known as the Nightlands."
From the Star Wars Wiki. Provided for your convenience. Apparently they didn't take the supposed retcon into account...

Additionally, I've changed the type of star. I did some re-research and discovered that I was indeed mistaken on that part. Apologies.

[member="Tamara"]

A slow rotation is acceptable, even so that the length of day and year are almost the same. That happens with Venus.

However, that will mean changes to other parts of the submission.

You will also have to explain how the heating of the planet without evaporating the oceans and creating a greenhouse effect happens.

EmKay

Edited, I think I got the relevant parts squared away. I'm not entirely sure, however, so please point out anything I've missed.

[member="Tamara"]

OK, this is much better, I like how you have them migrating to stay on the night side.

Two last things, The water would not entirely leave the daytime area. You'll also need to fix your climate, atmosphere and gravity scores. Also make sure your species line up with the new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom