Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Nar Shaddaa: Undertuned

Tags: Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok Levi Levi Judd Judd
Music:

On the Smuggler's Moon of Nar Shaddaa a familiar face within the criminal underworld had resurfaced although with much less power than she had commanded when the Hutt Space Consortium ruled Hutt Space. The blue Twi'lek lounged on a luxurious sofa made of some form of fur hide while the cantina club pounded with low frequency music. Dealers of all sorts peddled their goods to party goers while the bar flies and bounty hunters either kept to themselves or engaged in guarded smalltalk. A Rodian man came to A'ti and began to speak to her. After a few seconds of speaking she dismissed him with a small gesture. She had heard all she needed hear.

"Another successful wager?" asked a Besalisk bodyguard who stood in the shadows of A'ti's platform "Yes. It seems the Coruscant Stranglers and the Bastion Brawlers had quite the match. But in the end the Brawlers won. As I knew they would." she seemed quite smug with herself "Paid enough to rig it then." commented the bodyguard "Me? Of course not. That would be against the rules." she chuckled. It was well known that bribery was an integral part of Hutt Ball despite all participants denying that vital portion of the blood sport.

As the revelry continued a holonet feed began to report on the declaration of hostilities between the Galactic Alliance and the Mandalorian Enclave. A'ti watched it with interest and then made a face as if she was hurt "All this and not a single Mando has come seeking a deal? Its enough to break a girl's heart. No matter... I much preferred pirates anyhow. Much less scruples and more reasonable sense of worth."

A'ti had been known to always engage in business dealings from acting as a Fence, Fixer, and Bounty patron. All anyone had to do is ask and, of course, agree to her terms.

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
Not far from A'ti A'ti , but not close enough to get the Besalisk bodyguard twitchy, Jerec watched the news too. Now, much as peace was good for business and blood pressure alike — he was a man of Denon and of Corellia, both of which had done reasonably well under the Galactic Alliance — he couldn't help seeing the angle.

"Wonder which one'll torch a planet first," he gronked to a Weequay he sort of knew. "The Mandos or the Jedi. Feth, I'd put money on it."

That was a phrase that tended to find attention in a place like this. He saw that attention and ran with it.

"I'm Jerec Asyr from Denon and I'll wager a thousand ucks—" Underworld Credits. "—that if anyone does major damage to a planet in this war kicking off, it's the Jedi who'll do it first. Any takers? Any fool think it's gonna be the Mandos instead?"

Tags: Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok Levi Levi Judd Judd Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

The wager had not gone unnoticed by the serial gambler A'ti, not in the slightest. Her gaze shifted towards the Ithorian with a devilish grin crossing her lips "Is that a wager I hear? One thousand is such a pitiful amount to make such a declaration, don't you agree? 10,000 that the Enclave causes more collateral damage than the New Jedi Order." her hand lazily motioned towards the Ithorian as more wagers were being made for or against the notion. A protocol droid began to take the wagering accounts into consideration and soon betting odds were being tracked in real-time by the computer with legs "Jerec is it? I like your moxy. Come, you sit with the highrollers for tonight." she moved her hand towards a private table nearest the platform, nearly right in front of it and perhaps a bit uncomfortably close to the Besalisk for some. This did not seem like an offer so much as a 'your seat has been re-negotiated'. So far the table was conspicuously empty of other 'highrollers'.

Judd was the first of his crew to enter the cantina, but he couldn't say he was happy about it.

The enormous Dowutin scowled as he pushed into the bar, mindlessly shoulder-checking an entrance lurker. The man turned to have words with him, then looked up, then up some more...

And suddenly remembered he had somewhere else to be.

The large pirate had finally gathered enough credits to get back to his normal-looking self. He was currently outfitted with slapdash durasteel plates, a cheap copper cybernetic hand, and an expression that could kill a man. Which he had appropriately levied towards his crew.

"Remind me why we're here again?" The burly medic looked back to to Levi and Jacen, daring either to answer. Of course, he remembered. He was professional like that, despite all outward appearances. The question was more to state his displeasure at being here. He didn't like mixing up with big-timers. Especially big-timers that miraculously survived the Hutts going splat. Yeah, even Judd had heard of A'ti.

"This ain't gonna be another Batuu, right?" Judd furrowed his brow at Levi. As if he were blaming the Devaronian for all their complications.

The wager had not gone unnoticed by the serial gambler A'ti, not in the slightest. Her gaze shifted towards the Ithorian with a devilish grin crossing her lips "Is that a wager I hear? One thousand is such a pitiful amount to make such a declaration, don't you agree? 10,000 that the Enclave causes more collateral damage than the New Jedi Order." her hand lazily motioned towards the Ithorian as more wagers were being made for or against the notion. A protocol droid began to take the wagering accounts into consideration and soon betting odds were being tracked in real-time by the computer with legs "Jerec is it? I like your moxy. Come, you sit with the highrollers for tonight." she moved her hand towards a private table nearest the platform, nearly right in front of it and perhaps a bit uncomfortably close to the Besalisk for some. This did not seem like an offer so much as a 'your seat has been re-negotiated'. So far the table was conspicuously empty of other 'highrollers'.
Jerec took the offered seat at the private table, tipped that seat back, and laced his long fingers behind his neck hump's translator unit.

"I'll match that ten thousand. Little rich for my blood but hey, business is good."

He eyed a Dowutin pirate across the room, a hefty gentleman. This place was getting interesting in Nar Shaddaa's own unique way.

"Know what, lady, I'll add a rider. I'm so sure Jedi will do the first big collateral damage, I'll give you an extra five thousand if it's not ordered or done by a Jedi Master or Alliance commander."

Jacen trailed after the lumbering Judd like a duckling hurrying after its mother. Much like the Dowutin, he had upgraded his wardrobe, cobbling together a rough-and-tumble outfit consisting of a white tank top, a bandolier across his chest stocked full of extra ammo, and smuggler's pants. In the absence of a haircut, his hair had grown long and shaggy. If he could've grown a biker 'stache to complete the ensemble, he would've. The whole look was decidedly insane, but the boy who had escaped prison was certainly no longer recognizable.

"Remind me why we're here again?"

Jacen turned to Levi, the captain. "Something to do with gambling?" He'd done his fair share of betting on sports teams back when he had more money to throw around.

"Not gambling," Levi chided, then glared right back at Judd, "And no. This is easy. So long as you don't do anything stupid…" He looked around at the club floorspace snorting away a haze of aromatic smoke that had wafted past his face, "We're here to fence. It's the part where we make money. And one of the patrons here knows how to cut a good deal. Usually." The job on Batuu hadn't quite gone as planned, but they still made out with a good haul— The cask included.

"Gambling is a fool's game." Levi glanced at his compatriots once more, "But don't tell her I said that." The devaronian adjusted his dapper waistcoat and tweaked the slight curl of his mustache, before leading the way deeper into the cantina. Around them was a veritable rogue's gallery of galactic ne'er-do-wells, all happy to mind their own business, besides a few wayward, cautionary glances. Lights and music were ever-present stimuli that first grated, then habituated. At least the air was a little clearer in here than it was outside, ironically. Levi hated the grime of Nar Shaddaa, but it was a convenient stop.

"Normally we'd be over on Taris. Alas my old go-to fence was ah, eaten on a big game hunt. I told him he was too slow for rathtars," Levi sighed, more despondent about the inconvenience than the man's demise. Eventually he spotted the blue Twi'lek, about the only one here who wasn't working as a server or dancer. She was sitting with an Ithorian man, one he did not recognize. Levi cleared his throat, and stood a few safe steps away from the table, "A'ti, is it not? Charmed," He dipped his head and offered an obsequious, toothy grin, "We are unacquainted. My name is Levi Dorne. Captain of the Outrider 2? You may have heard of it…"

A'ti did not see, nor would she have cared, about the new addition of pirates in the club. She was focused on the additional bets of Jerec and his oddly generous amendment to their wager "Oh? So specific. I wonder, is there a particular individual you've in mind? Perhaps a past event that caused this strange certainity? I'd love to hear it." when she was done speaking she saw the Devaronian approach her. The Twi'lek quirked an eyebrow at him expectantly.

When he mentioned his name and ship, as if it was something that she should have some idea who or what they were she kept looking at the Besalisk but spoke in Huttese "<Have you ever heard of them?>" she asked "<Not at all.>" the bodyguard responded "<Oh no, how embarrassing!>" she began to laugh happily at the apparent joke of a pirate captain "I had no idea that we had the pleasure of ... who were you again?" she asked with a small amount of venom to her cutting words "I'm sure the Outrigger is quite the spectacle. Are you here to sell it? I have a few contacts with a local Breaker crew. Could fetch a neat bonus for you and your erhm... crew." she tilted her head with a pitying smile. Her eyes looked past him towards the others in what she believed to be the crew. The large one in particular caught her interest "<Look at this one!>" she excitedly stated to the Besalisk in Huttese yet again "<Made for Hutt Ball, I bet this one could lift a wookie.>" she cleared her voice and motioned Judd Judd closer "Have you ever considered Hutt Ball? I'm positive you'd made a fine addition to any team. I could have you setup tonight and your first match tomorrow night?"

"Oh? So specific. I wonder, is there a particular individual you've in mind? Perhaps a past event that caused this strange certainity? I'd love to hear it."

Jerec honked derisively out both sides of his neck. "Nah, any one of'em would do it. Killed my copilot Quekko on a Kessel run," and that was a long bitter story he had no plan to share tonight.

Levi cleared his throat, and stood a few safe steps away from the table, "A'ti, is it not? Charmed," He dipped his head and offered an obsequious, toothy grin, "We are unacquainted. My name is Levi Dorne. Captain of the Outrider 2? You may have heard of it…"

Jerec glanced at A'ti and her guard, who either didn't know it or were pretending not to, maybe for scorn, for trash talk, for positioning and power. Any which way, Jerec actually did know those names.

"My cousin at Black Spire told me there's a YT-series free trader with a Devaronian captain named Dorne. If you're one and the same..." Jerec shoved a couple of hundred-credit coins across the table. "... here's what he owes you from the thing at the place with the stuff."

Judd just shook his head at Jacen, rolling his eyes at just how green the vampire was. Then, he reconsidered as Levi told him off. "Actually, I would consider this a gamble," Judd grumbled, grumpy at all of the eyes turned his way. Still, he raised his chin, breathed in deep, and projected as much confidence as he could.

"Let me rephrase. Not what are we doing here, but what are we doing here?" He would've far preferred they found some fence that they could push around, not a crimelord that could snap her fingers and condemn them all to the pits. People with reputations were not to be trusted.

If Judd had any common sense left, he would've turned around and left the pair of pirates. Found another crew. But something caused him to step up with Levi and Jacen anyways. Linger in the back, while the captain did what he did best. Schmooze a table of attractive murderers.

Except, the schmoozing backfired almost immediately. And spectacularly.

A'ti called it the Outrigger.

Despite himself, the Dowutin barked out a singular, crude laugh. Then made a serious face almost immediately after, if Levi were to look back at him. He was glad someone else thought it was a stupid-ass name for a ship. In hindsight, Judd shouldn't have laughed, as he saw the Twi'lek and Besalisk begin looking their way, and speaking in Huttese to each other. Judd frowned, crossing his arms over his chest, though he did step forward as beckoned.

"Have you ever considered Hutt Ball? I'm positive you'd made a fine addition to any team. I could have you setup tonight and your first match tomorrow night?"

Judd blinked. Processed the request. Weighed what he wanted to say against his chances of immediately dying, and decided on a happy medium. "No thanks. I don't like playing games."

It seemed the Ithorian at the table knew Levi, passing along some credits. How was it that everywhere they went, somebody knew the Devaronian?

"Not gambling."
"Actually, I would consider this a gamble."

Jacen glanced between his two crewmates in confusion as they argued over why they were there. Eventually he gleaned that they were "fencing". Not the swordfighting style, but the kind where you sell stolen goods for a profit. They were still trying to get rid of the Cask of Bartych Halcorr, an artifact which had proven more trouble than it was worth.

"Gambling is a fool's game."

"You just have lousy luck," Jacen muttered. Not that his winnings on Altier were spectacular.

Finally, they were introduced to A'ti, the fence. Jacen admittedly was so taken with the contrast of black tattoos over her cornflower blue lekku that he barely heard a word she said, until she started speaking Huttese to her bodyguard. Jacen knew a little Huttese, enough to tell that they were being insulted. Then she deliberately flubbed the name of their ship and asked if they were there to sell it. And then she asked Judd if he had ever considered playing hutt ball.

Judd handled it pretty well, but Jacen didn't like seeing his frie—er, mates being put down by some random lady he'd certainly never heard of. He rested his hands on his hips. "We have a one-of-a-kind artifact we're looking to sell," he said. "Made by a famous historical figure from a planet that recently suffered an apocalypse. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Actually, I would consider this a gamble,"
"You just have lousy luck,"

"Mm yes, but this is a different sort of gamble," Levi amended, "And I have great luck. But luck doesn't matter if the game is rigged against you." The house always wins, as they say. Perhaps Judd was right that they'd get pushed around some by a fence with these sorts of connections, but Levi stood by the opportunity. Her status would likely net them a better price for their wares.

But the Devaronian's commitment was immediately put to the test. Levi wasn't sure whether he should be more insulted by A'ti's ridicule, or by her apparent assumption than an individual doing business on Nar Shaddaa wouldn't know Huttese (It was definitely the former though). He held his tongue, only an eyebrow twitching slightly as she intentionally misnamed the Outrider 2. His ego had been properly bruised, but he was nothing if not well-composed. Some smugness returned to his expression with the Ithorian man actually revealed he did know of the con man.

"Ah, a well-connected man," Levi motioned toward Jerec, "Tell him the payment is appreciated. For the ah, thing at the place with the stuff," He tapped the side of his nose in a gesture of secrecy, and scooped up the offered credits. Levi did not, in fact, remember who this money-owing cousin was, but he certainly wasn't going to turn down a payment. Perhaps it was time to double check the debt log again.

Jacen quickly defended the crew and their offerings. Levi always held a genuine appreciation for a loyal employee, "What the boy said. Its reputation borders on myth, my lady. The earnings are quite prospective," He grew another vulpine grin, and finished it Huttese, <The ship, I'm afraid, is not for sale. So would you like to do business?>

A'ti looked towards Jerec as he shifted the credits towards Levi. That another would even possibly know this pirate did wonders in her mind for his capabilities. While not up to her notice even a minor reputation that carried a name across the stars was worlds apart from none at all "<How interesting.>" she muttered.

Her attention returned to Jedd "No? Pity. You would be quite well received." A'ti made a conversational gesture with the Dowutin "The offer will stand for tonight even still."

Next A'ti looked to the teenager as he spoke so boldly "Do you now? I should like to see it but first..." she gave Jacen a patronizing smile "Run along while your father and I do business, little Spacer." she motioned towards the bar "I'll have Uwana make a Fizz, just for you, free. Just don't spill it."

The Twi'lek folded her hands elegantly in her lap as Levi recovered and addressed her in Huttese, having reinforced what Jacen had spoke of "<Oh so we do have a bit of culture. So rare. Yes, we will talk business. The relic - as I told the kid I want proof of these claims of value. Secondary appraisals, historical or recent, correlated accounts of authenticity. You'll excuse my distrust of words alone in matters of commerce.>" the former Majordomo's expression was professional but cold "<Of course I have these services at my disposal but they will come at a cost, one that I will need to deduct from your asking price of course. That is, if you are unable to provide?>" she tilted her head

A'ti A'ti Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok Judd Judd Levi Levi

"Y'know," said Jerec, "I've been a prospector and curio dealer of sorts since before most of you were born. As an impartial third party to this situation, I'd be happy to run a thorough valuation for just three percent of the final price. Three percent! Both sides win: you won't find a better deal short of extortion. And with an independent audit, you can both have that extra bit of confidence. Here, let me get a round of drinks for everyone — what'll you have?"

"No? Pity. You would be quite well received. The offer will stand for tonight even still."

Judd pursed his lips, his heavy brow creasing in suspicion. "Yeah. I appreciate it." He didn't hate the idea that he came across as big, powerful, and capable. Then again, it wasn't exactly a new observation.

The Twi'lek's continued jabs, now aimed at Jacen, didn't quite have the same ring to Judd's ears as her first. Levi had practically asked for it, what with his constant grandstanding, fake-it-til-you-make-it attitude. Jacen didn't deserve to be belittled. So Judd fought off the temptation to say 'he likes his drinks a little livelier'. "The kid stays," he growled instead, leaning on the hip closest to his shipmate.

He was... standing up for Jacen, against a crime boss? What the hell was he doing that for?

A'ti continued to speak in Huttese, which was annoying, considering Judd didn't understand it. For all his time spent on Narsh, he'd never picked it up. He got context clues, from the Ithorian, but decided to let Levi handle this one. Finding the right words was his thing.

Judd refused Jerec's offer of drinks with a "Nothing, thanks," continuing to stare down the Twi'lek. Trying to get a read on her, even as he was sure she already had done so of them.

Jacen couldn’t help but smirk when Levi proved he, too, could speak Huttese. But his smarmy smile quickly disappeared as A’ti turned her ire on him.

"Run along while your father and I do business, little Spacer. I'll have Uwana make a Fizz, just for you, free. Just don't spill it."

Jacen’s lip curled in anger, about to bare his fangs at this condescending harpy, when—

"The kid stays."

The boy’s gaze flicked up to Judd in surprise, then relief and gratitude. His grin had returned by the time the Ithorian offered drinks, this time with teeth exposed. “I’ll take that Fizz.

Jerec offered to appraise the Cask. “That would be helpful,” Jacen said carefully, conscious that he was not the decision maker here. It would be up to Levi in the end. “I’m a junior archaeologist, officially licensed by the University of Alderaan. If you want my help verifying its authenticity, I have connections.” Granted, he probably wouldn’t want biased help—Jacen was among the seller party, after all.

Last edited:
"A fair request," Levi acquiesed, his salesman routine coming on full display. He brightened up further at Jerec's offer, "Ah, I quite like this one! Your services are certainly welcome, as would be a glass of revnog, for myself." Relying on the Ithorian stranger was a bit of a gamble, but he was impartial, and taking less of a cut than A'ti's services likely would have. The devaronian winked at Jacen, acknowledging his own qualifications; If nothing else, he would be able to make sure they don't get undercut on the appraisal.

"What we have for you today is the legendary Cask of Bartych Halcorr," Levi began his spiel with a heavy dose of theatricality (and a butchering of Bartych Halcorr's name). He gestured for Judd to present the cask to their potential buyer, "It comes straight from old Chaldean myth. Their religion forbids alcoholic consumption, but the founder of these zealous teetotalers was said to keep this cask in secret for himself! Richly two-faced, if I do say so myself. But that's not all, the story claims that whoever drinks this cask's long-aged contents may live forever." Levi sighed, letting his presentation simmer down, "It's a one of a kind, my lady. And part of a now-practically-dead culture. It ought to be in a museum," He grinned, "Unfortunately, we found it instead."

Last edited:

A'ti looked towards Judd and Jacen with a momentarily contemplative expression then turned her focus to Jerec. A'ti did not want an impartial appraisal. She wanted one in her favor and now that Jerec had robbed her of value her mood seemed to be quickly souring "<Tsk>" she waved a hand dismissively "<This one's appraisal will come from your own funds, Captain, I do not pay surcharges for acquisitions.>" if there were drink orders to be made she was not taking them. Though a service droid would wobble around just for that occasion, whenever Jerec felt he had all his orders ready.

As Levi presented the find A'ti folded her arms and listened with a suspicious expression, gleaning what deceptions or exaggerations she could to avoid falling prey to a salesman's pitch. Though the claims were quite eccentric, what with eternal life and all, it was hardly the first time a band of thieves had tried to fence such a relic to her "<Does it? Hrm.>" she canted her head at the cask "<You are certain that this ... barrel... is full of what you say it is? I'd not have taken you for the superstitious type.>" A'ti seemed wholly unconvinced by the myth. Though everything had a buyer, perhaps she could swindle some wayward Sith in search of a cheat from Death? After a few long silent seconds A'ti gave a labored sigh and she spoke in Galactic Common "And what, exactly, is the price you are seeking?"

Levi winked at Jacen, which was more gratifying for the boy than he'd ever admit. He stood up a little straighter, paying close attention to A'ti's reaction. She looked annoyed, but her ire was directed at Jerec, at least.

The Devaronian explained the backstory of the Cask. A'ti was skeptical. "Why don't we all have a sip of it to make sure?" Jacen suggested, canting his head toward the barrel. "Or would that lower its value?"

"And what, exactly, is the price you are seeking?"

Not knowing how these things were valued, Jacen looked to Levi for answers.

Jerec was feeling less optimistic about his odds of securing a chunk of whatever this was. His attention remained unbreakable, however, for a variety of interlinked reasons. First, as a born-and-raised Corellian, slim odds were his stock in trade. Second, the artifact in question was a cask of something imbibable, and verifying its authenticity seemed a job well suited to his skills and capabilities. Third, nobody had actually told him to kark off yet.

"Fortunately, ma'am," he said to A'ti A'ti , "there's ways of sampling the contents without contaminating them, impacting their value or the value of the cask. Takes special sampling equipment that I can make available as part of the purely nominal provenance fee. It'd be included in my very minimal cut. What a tiny price for peace of mind!"

He glanced at Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok , Levi Levi , and Judd Judd , unsure what proposed price they'd settle on. This could get fun fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom