Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nanotechnology

WHat are the extents of nanotechnology in star wars? I read the wiki page which is still kind of vague.

Just wondering would I be able to use them to reverse the age of a character I know it's possible scientifically but don't know if star wars has reached that point. I plan on creating and have them reproduce at a rate that over time begins to turn the man into a machine.

(I do plan to lay out all the steps of this process IC'ly and will submit whatever Tech submissions/Race submissions are required)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Sun Ki'wan said:
I plan on creating and have them reproduce at a rate that over time begins to turn the man into a machine.
Ya know, could just manipulate the Technovirus to achieve a similar effect. Of course, that'd require both a master who knows Mechu Deru Vitae and a master in the art of alchemy, but it's possible. Also probably a safer bet than nanotech here, since as you said, it's vague and heavily restricted.

[member="Countess Xyhn"]

I thought about that but didn't want to bug the alchemy masters though I could make a npc but don't have true knowledge on Sith Alchemy besides what I read in the Bane novels and the few submissions I've seen on the board.

[member="Tefka"]

Thank you for the info Tefka. Saved me from making a mistake.

In my opinion... which occasionally means something, but often doesn't... It all depends on how you intend to use it and how balanced it is in comparison to similar tech.

Nano-tech medical equipment that functions identically to a Bacta Tank? Go for it.
Grey Goo that swarms and replicates with godmodium? Nope. Nope on a stick.

Offensive technology that cannot realistically be countered? No.
Defensive technology that super-heals your character to the point of immortality? Nope. So much nope.

Using it as a plot device to make other technology? Sure.

If your goal is to simply turn a sentient humanoid into a machine, there are other ways to go about it. So long as the end result is easily comparable to the results achieved by existing canon tech... I see no reason to step on toes and limit creativity.

Again though. It really comes down to how it is being used and if it can 'realistically' be countered.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

WhoaI had no intentions for any of that. The absolute upper limit was that he would be able to heal from some wounds and it reversing his aging and curing him of the ailments he'd had for decades. Which he wouldn't be able to create anything till the nanobots began to take over his body and even then it would be something as simple as creating claws.

Is the grey goo a reference to terminator? Only movie I've seen it in.

[member="Sun Ki'wan"]

I didn't think you would. I just wanted to list them as a scope of reference.

Again... it all comes down to what you're doing, if it can be countered, and if it can be achieved though other means as well.

[member="Tefka"]

Don't worry Tefka, I'll go with the technovirus idea. Don't want to start trouble. Plus it will be nice to see how it plays out. :)

11b.jpg

1368114714051.jpg

Nanotechnology does not always mean itty bitty machines. Nanotechnology is simply any technology operating at a micro scale. Something as benign as medications deployed at the molecular level would constitute nanotechnology.

Also, as Larraq said, it's all dependent on the execution of your technology and what you can justify in your tech thread.

EmKay

I made nanotechnological computer parts, that were later going to be used to make wristwatch-sized datapads. I like utility, and it seemed like an excellent idea. IC and OOC stuff barred progress, but I'll probably continue that later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom