Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech NADIR P-SERIES Grenade-launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: Expand the weapon portfolio of Nadir.

• Image Source: /

• Canon Link: /

• Restricted Missions: /

• Primary Source: /
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Classification: Grenade launcher

• Size: Attachment

• Length: 19 cm

• Weight: 0.25 kg

• Ammunition Type: Grenades

• Ammunition Capacity: 1

• Effective Range: 150 m

• Rate of Fire: Single-shot | 5 per minute
SPECIAL FEATURES

• Universal attachment: The P-series Grenade launcher attachment is designed to work with all standard rail mounts.
Strengths:
  • Spoiled for choice: Due to the nature of the mechanism, you can fire nearly all types of grenades with this launcher.
Weaknesses:
  • Electricity: NT-1 is highly conductive. If targeted by any form of lightning or electricity, the owner of the weapon will be on the receiving end of a rather nasty shock.
  • Slow: The downside of its ability to fire nearly all types of grenades is its miserable rate of fire compared to barreled launchers. Loading new grenades into the pressor field is a rather complicated and unintuitive process, leading to a severe drop in speed.
DESCRIPTION
The production of attachment is the natural next step to producing weapons that can mount them. Why miss out on profit when you can keep it all in the family?

Ask any merc about his favorite weapon attachment, and nearly all of them will shoot “grenade launcher” back at ya. Naturally, Nadir went and made a grenade launcher to go with their wide choice of weapons and grenades. (Naturally, the launcher also takes non-Nadir grenades.)

The system is lightweight and reliable due to the proprietary materials used. It can take quite a beating and hold its own, allowing for its use even in extremely high-stress situations. A small projector mounted at the beginning of the under-barrel railing will project a pressor field, which simulates a solid barrel. Due to this flexibility, the P-series can shoot most trypes of grenades (some overly large designs are the exception).

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
<p>Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.</p>

Rusty

Okay, so a couple of things to work on here.

Aver Brand said:
Spoiled for choice: Due to the nature of the mechanism, you can fire nearly all types of grenades with this launcher. Grenades which don’t conform to the ovoid or tubular shape are the exception, as they won’t fit into the barrel.
That's...way too vague. "Nearly all types of grenades" covers a lot of territory. It sounds like you're trying to come up with a universal grenade launcher, which I guess could work, with some caveats, but then there's this:

Aver Brand said:
Ammunition Capacity: 5

Aver Brand said:
Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic

Any sort of magazine fed semiautomatic, well, anything, requires ammunition of a consistent size and shape. So, this isn't going to work as it stands. We've got two options moving forward.

1: Keep the semi-auto function and magazine, but choose a set bore. I'd recommend 20mm, as anything bigger would probably be too bulky to work as an underbarrel attachment. Might also want to look for another pic, since the M203, while incredibly fun, is single shot. Just a suggestion on that last part though.

2: Drop it to single shot with no magazine, and come up with a way to make it work as advertised. There are ways to do it, but keep in mind that most launched grenades use the spin imparted by rifling to arm. They spin through the air, centrifugal force arms the grenade, they explode on impact. There are other methods of arming, but that's the most common.

I'm open to a third option if you have any good ideas.

[member="Aver Brand"]

[member="Rusty"]

Rusty said:
2: Drop it to single shot with no magazine, and come up with a way to make it work as advertised. There are ways to do it, but keep in mind that most launched grenades use the spin imparted by rifling to arm. They spin through the air, centrifugal force arms the grenade, they explode on impact. There are other methods of arming, but that's the most common.
  • Dropped to single shot with no mag.
  • As for the latter, I haven't got enough technical expertise on the matter to actually explain a mechanism. However, it is the Space Age, so if it's feasible with the above two edits in mind, I'd just call it SW Tech™.
    If that's not an acceptable solution, do you have any ideas how it could be done?

Rusty

An appropriately handwavium-laden response would be fine, just so long as there's something. It could be that I'm just a little too anal about this stuff for everyone's good, but having witnessed the destructive power of a 40mm firsthand, I'm more than a little hesitant to let something like this out there without some sort of solid logic behind it. There's a high potential for something to go wrong when this thing gets released into the wild.

[member="Aver Brand"]

Rusty

If I were doing something like this, I'd use automated clamps to hold the thing and a pressor field to mimic a barrel. Would limit how quickly it could be used, giving a set rounds per minute, but would still give you that flexibility. That's just where my mind is at.

[member="Aver Brand"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom