Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech NADIR G-SERIES Havoc gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
gun_color1.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Classification: Slugthrower

• Size: Handheld

• Length: 185 mm

• Weight: 0.5 kg

• Ammunition Type: 10 mm

• Ammunition Capacity: 15

• Effective Range: 50 m

• Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:

• Bypass: The rounds fired from this pistol are coated in an electromagnetic field whose specific frequency allows them to pass through lightsaber blades and melee/particle shielding. Any lightsaber or shield tuned to the frequency of its EM-field will be able to block and deflect these rounds as normal.
Weaknesses:

• Slag: Depending on the type of ammunition used, the bullet can very well turn into slag when passing through the super-heated blade of the lightsaber. Since the contact is extremely brief due to projectile velocity, this only occurs with bullets made of weaker metals.

• Electricity: An unavoidable downside of using NT-1 in the construction of the gun. Anyone targeted by electricity-based attacks while holding this weapon will have a bad time. As in, third-degree burns, muscle-spasming, tissue-necrosis kind of bad time.

• Hot stuff: While myoflex does its job well, it has its limits. Emptying a whole magazine in under a minute will overload the dispersive capabilities of the myoflex, easily causing third-degree burns. Naturally, the weapon will fail with its internals melted to Nether and back, and will usually be damaged beyond repair.

• Touchy: If hit by an EMP pulse, the gun will not only shut down, but explode much like a low-yield grenade would. This can cause serious injury to the user, whether the weapon is in its holster or their hands at the time.

• Puny: The EM-field system is very delicate. Thus the firearm should be handled with more care than usual – even dropping it can be enough to damage the mechanism. While the gun will still be able to fire, it will merely be your garden-variety slugthrower.

• Exorbitant: Due to the cost of production, this weapon is absurdly expensive. However, because of Nadir’s peculiar business model for the G-series, the price is not in credits – rather one of favors and objects of great value.
DESCRIPTION
In the effort to offer yet another solution to mercenaries, bounty hunters, and other criminals facing off against Force users, Nadir emerges with the G-series Havoc gun. Though slugthrowers are usually regarded as inferior to blasters – and in many respects are – they hold some advantages over the conventional blaster.
In comparison to a bolt, slugthrower rounds bring far more kinetic energy to the table, punching through weaker armors without issue. Even when they don’t, the kinetic energy transferred upon impact is often enough to break bones and cause internal bleeding, which can be just as dangerous. On top of this, they come in greater variety in terms of purpose, and are far less visible mid-air.

As always, however, these things seem to fail on combat against Force users. Bolts and bullets get deflected with the help of quick reflexes and lightsabers, sometimes even turned back on the attacker.

Nadir aims to change this.

The Guerrilla-series pistol is a product of intensive research into Ssi-Ruuvi technology – particularly the quirk of their stun bolts, which can bend around lightsaber blades due to a particular frequency of the containing electromagnetic field. Vigorous testing and development eventually resulted in a mechanism that can coat an exiting bullet in a similar electromagnetic field, allowing it to pass through shields and lightsaber blades.

The end product is thus a highly effective new weapon regardless of the target, doubly so because there is no way of expecting its peculiar ability. This can catch even experienced Force users by surprise, wreaking havoc upon armor and body alike.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
<p>Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.</p>

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Okay, so here's the thing. I've figured out how to make something like this work, and it's not all that hard. It's a miracle no one has thought of it beforehand. The problem is, a submission like this is pretty balance breaking for PVP. One could make the argument that lightsabers are also balance breaking, but we're stuck with them. They're all iconic and stuff.

With that said, let's get down to business.

Aver Brand said:
Production: Limited
Word from on high is that Limited isn't going to pass. Unique is the word I got, but if we can really balance the thing, I'll let semi-unique go, just to see if it'll stick.

Which brings us to the weaknesses. So far, you've got the standard Nadir stuff, like heat and electricity, but the only thing that really addresses the tech itself is this:

Aver Brand said:
Slag: Depending on the type of ammunition used, the bullet can very well turn into slag when passing through the super-heated blade of the lightsaber. Since the contact is extremely brief due to projectile velocity, this only occurs with bullets made of weaker metals.
The same could be said for basically anything that comes into contact with a lightsaber blade. The only way this submission will pass is with at least one more real, PVP affecting weakness that balances it out, something that'll actually affect how it works in the real world rather than the usual fluff that no one will play straight in a fight. Exactly what that is, I'll leave up to you, but if the semi-unique production level is ever going to pass, it'll need to be a real humdinger.

My advice? Shoot for unique and use it as a tech demonstrator. If you neuter the gun so badly that it's not a functional weapon, that rather defeats the purpose. Not saying it can't be balanced without completely screwing it up, but I can't see semi-unique passing without something drastic. So. Shoot for unique, use it as a tech demonstrator, and after it's seen a few battles without incident, you've a much stronger case for coming back later with an upgraded version to put on the market.

[member="Aver Brand"]

[member="Rusty"]

I'll try to get this to Semi-unique with some good Weaknesses – if you'll find them suitable, of course. If that doesn't pan out, I'll drop it to Unique and call it a day.

Now, here's a couple things that came to mind as workable stuff:
  1. If fired more than twice per minute, the extremely heat-intensive process of creating an EM-field around the projectile will overload the myoflex. This results in molten compound leaking onto the shooter's hands, an utterly destroyed firearm, and – in case the user went vastly over the limit – explosion of the gun.
  2. If hit by an EMP pulse, the gun will not only shut down, but explode much like a low-yield grenade would. This can cause serious injury to the user, whether the weapon is in its holster or their hands at the time.
  3. The EM-field system is very delicate. Thus the firearm should be handled with more care than usual – even dropping it can be enough to damage the mechanism. While the gun will still be able to fire, it will merely be your garden-variety slugthrower.

Aver Brand said:
Bypass: The rounds fired from this pistol are coated in an electromagnetic field whose specific frequency allows them to pass through lightsaber blades and conventional shielding.
[member="Rusty"]

What do you mean they bypass conventional shielding?

Where are you getting that this is capable of doing this?

Are you using the Ssi-Ruuvi ion paddle beamer as your base? If so, then this is how it works:

The beamer emitted a small, thread-like silver ion beam that interfered with the nervous system of its target. A glancing blow could render an extremity numb for hours, while a direct hit caused unconsciousness. The optimum range of the beamer was eight meters, and the maximum range was twelve. A particularly dangerous aspect of these weapons was their ability to pass through conventional shields and armor. While fighting the Ssi-ruuk, Luke Skywalkerdiscovered he could alter the frequency of his lightsaber to deflect the beams, but then the blade becomes incapable of deflecting conventional blaster bolts.
It shows that it is a beam. And even then, one could change the frequency of a lightsaber to deflect them. Ergo, any lightsaber switched to the frequency to fight SSi Ruuvi weapons will be able to deflect these.

Slag: Depending on the type of ammunition used, the bullet can very well turn into slag when passing through the super-heated blade of the lightsaber. Since the contact is extremely brief due to projectile velocity, this only occurs with bullets made of weaker metals.

This is a strength covered as a weakness. Please revise

Exorbitant: Due to the cost of production, this weapon is absurdly expensive. However, because of Nadir’s peculiar business model for the G-series, the price is not in credits – rather one of favors and objects of great value.

Also, expensive is a terrible weakness.

[member="Cira"]

Cira said:
It shows that it is a beam. And even then, one could change the frequency of a lightsaber to deflect them. Ergo, any lightsaber switched to the frequency to fight SSi Ruuvi weapons will be able to deflect these.
  • I'm using the Ssi-Ruuvi concept as a basis, yes, and it's listed under Primary Source for that reason. The weapon doesn't use the exact same frequency. Any lightsaber tuned to the frequency of this EM-field would be able to deflect them, though. I'll add that.
  • Same goes for the shield thing, since it seems to result from the same "different frequency" quirk as the lightsaber bypass. Slugthrowers bypass ray shielding already, so this would only extend to melee/particle shields anyway.
Cira said:
This is a strength covered as a weakness. Please revise
  • How so? Slag will spread out in the air, lose much of its velocity, and thus much of its lethality. A round turned into slag will barely transfer any kinetic energy on impact. It also won't be able to burn through armor, because passing through the cold air will cool much of its heat.
  • At best it will cause a minor dent in most armors.
Cira said:
Also, expensive is a terrible weakness.
  • It's Closed market and the buyer has to offer a favor or item of similar value to buy this. I would argue this not the same as just calling it 'high price in fictional Chaos credits'.
  • I'm also not sure if you want me to remove it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom