Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auction Mystery Box Auction - A Black Market Jedi Holocron Sale

Truth be told, Kal had just expected the Professor to examine the thing, perhaps stare at the engravings for a while, not open it right there in front of anyone still remaining. It seemed the kind of thing you did behind closed doors, perhaps in an ornately-decorated office or meditation chamber.

Nimdok's endless amusement was obvious as the contents were revealed, but the Rodian remained more inscrutable.

Had the native mind been in control, it would have certainly have reacted with utter outrage at the expenditure of all its material assets to facilitate the acquisition of a Holocron containing the culinary secrets of an Ewok, but it had long-since been completely and utterly suppressed. Kal, on the other hand, remained utterly delighted with the trade. Not even a million and a half for the culinary secrets of the Dark Side? What a bargain!

"Very different from any Holocron my associates have in inventory, how lovely!"

Truly, this had all been well worth the effort; one very unpleasant gangster driven to the edge of bankruptcy, one Holocron acquired, and experience with the rules of mortal auctions gained. The only loose thread remained the Professor's role in the acquisition and the implicit Obligation it carried.

"Oh... oho... ow, my sides..." Nimdok sputtered, trying to catch his breath. He was clutching the aforementioned aching sides with one hand as he began to calm down and collect himself.

At the mention of the Rodian's "associates" having other holocrons in their inventory, his pointed ears metaphorically perked up.

"You have other holocrons? Or—no, who are your associates? Are they hiring? How would I get in contact with them?"

Nimdok stepped away from the table, advancing toward Kal and the unlucky alien he had skinjacked. Meanwhile, the Ewok hologram shrugged. "If ye not want to hear about me recipes, me go back into gembox now." He made a rude gesture, then fizzled out.

Kal Kal

• Love
Reactions: Kal
That had caught the professor's attention, the sudden intensity catching Kal off-guard. For a moment he was tempted to retract the statement, shroud it in vagueness, but its mentioning had not been an accident; as much the Shadow liked being owed he disliked owing.

"Depends. My associates make frequent use of freelancers if that is what you are asking." Closing his eyelids, the Rodian seemed to concentrate quite intensely, a soft white glow radiating even through the protective tissue. His right fist clenching then unclenching, he opened his normal-looking eyes once more, before extending the hand towards Nimdok. Fingers moving to reveal their newfound cargo, a trio of golden coins.

One side of each coin bore a skull within a compass and the other a stylised depiction of a crown.

"Each of these are currency and medium of communication both. I shall be taking my new Holocron and if you accept these I shall consider my debt to you for your assistance in the acquisition repaid in full." While hardly a fortune where he was from, they represented something much more meaningful than mere credits, at least to his eyes. Everyone and their mother had credits but the same could not be said for Obols.

Nimdok raised an eyebrow as the Rodian spontaneously manifested three coins from nothing. Uhhhh, that was a pretty weird thing to do in public. Presumably this guy didn't care about keeping a low profile. But if that was the case, why was he being so vague?

"Okay, no offense, but even if I was as ignorant and helpless as a babe in the woods, I wouldn't accept three coins in exchange for a corusca gem, regardless of what they might do," he said, his tone surprisingly mild. He wasn't offended by the offer, just confused. "At least, not without a proper explanation for what I was signing up for, and my lawyer present."

He'd be needing a lawyer who specialized in the supernatural, from the looks of it. Pointing to the coins, he added, "If you can't speak about it in less uncertain terms here, then we can meet up later to discuss it in a more private setting. Otherwise, I'd rather not wind up in over my head with anything. My daughter's got a school play coming up I can't afford to miss because I accidentally made a pact with a Netherworld demon or something like that."

A comment that may or may not have been entirely innocent—after all, both Arimanes and Nimdok had spent time in the Netherworld. Perhaps he knew subconsciously what he was seeing before him wasn't just a foolish Rodian.

Kal Kal

Last edited:
  • Love
For a moment, the Rodian looked almost confused - and then Kal remembered how highly organics seemed to value their credits.

"You gave a rarity, yes, but its value was measured in mere credits. I do not value credits particularly highly." Truth be told, he would almost likely have offered more than half a million for the gem just to have it, but the Holocron was far, far more interesting. <The coins are a medium of communication and transportation with my associates and a locale of some significance within the Nether.>

Having switched to the to him more natural telepathy with the surety that Nimdok already knew well enough that he was far from normal, Kal nonetheless had no intent to advertise the information he was about to share to those that still remained in the room. <That said, they still function as currency, one accepted in certain places where credits are not. Masque-in-the-Nether, the flying city of Wake, et cetera.>

Stepping closer, he placed a hand on the Holocron, moving to pocket it. <As for my associates and I, we belong to an organisation dealing in all manner of peculiarities. At times, we have even been known to accept credits! Regarding the coins - take them or leave them, I offer them not out of any mystical sense of obligation but because I believe in honest business practice.>

Last edited:
The telepathic communication came as a surprise to both the souls inhabiting the Shi'ido's body.

<Did you hear that?> Arimanes asked.

<This guy is weird. I wouldn't take his coins. I don't want anything to do with him,> came the immediate reply from the ghost of the professor. <Just ask for money and let it go. It's not as if the holocron is dangerous.>

<But he mentioned other holocrons,> Arimanes pressed. <Those coins may be the key to far greater discoveries. How can I pass up the opportunity?>

Nimdok's spirit didn't respond directly, though Arimanes could feel the nervous, frightened, reluctant tangle of his emotions. <I can't afford to get lost in the Nether again. I've never heard of this city of Wake or Masque-in-the-Nether. He may be leading us into a trap.>

<Then we'll take the coins just in case, but only use them if they can be verified.>

<Wait, how will you—>

Pursing his lips, Nimdok regarded the Rodian for a few more moments with folded hands and thumbs circling each other. At last, he said (out loud, not telepathically), "Okay. I'll take your coins."

Seeing the Rodian grab the holocron, Nimdok smiled at the memory of the Ewok Gatekeeper. "Uh, good luck with that one, by the way. I hope it brings you ten times as much happiness as it brought me when I opened... when I opened it." He paused briefly to stop himself from stumbling back into another hysterical laughing fit.

Kal Kal

Last edited:
  • Love
There was definitely something off about the professor - but then there was something decidedly off about his mannerisms, he was sure, to the point where he had simply stopped pretending. First time as a Rodian, first time dealing directly with the criminal underworld. A practice run, really.

"Lovely." Briefly switching back to the spoken word, he shoved the Holocron into a pocket in his jacket, making another halfway successful attempt at a smile. "All knowledge is potentially worthwhile, professor. Even that which comes in strange packages." Handing over the trio of coins, he straightened his jacket like something out of a holoseries then turned to look for transportation out of here - what with having sold his speeder.

<I recommend the Umbral Bazaar. Shopping-wise. If only because it is where my associates and I are based.>

Raising a single green hand in farewell, he headed off, making for a seemingly random alley. Elsewhere, Lao Pak Lao Pak was likely in the process of learning that he had just secured the apartment of a top enforcer for one of the local Kajidics. Who knew what was lying around.

The obols looked no different than typical coins—a familiar enough sight to an archaeologist. They did, however, feel heavy in Nimdok's hand. It was a weight that burdened him spiritually rather than physically.

Distracted by the strange aura of the coins, Nimdok almost failed to notice the Rodian's departure. He looked up in time to catch a glimpse of vanishing green through a doorway.

He dropped the three coins into his pocket, where the effects of them were lessened, at least. The Umbral Bazaar, hm, he mused to himself, heading out of the auction hall. Mischief, thou art afoot.

Kal Kal

• Love

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom