Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Brother's Keeper

[member="Velok the Younger"]

A younger Davon might have taken offence at drawing the comparison so directly, even if he had been the one to start it.

"That sounds an awful lot like exactly what I'd want to hear," Davon said instead. Now came the difficult part. He had to make the deal without biting the sith's hand off for it, or pushing him too far. He couldn't reveal the fact that he was already thinking of letting the woman go and tracking her as far as she went. This was a welcome bonus.

"But then I suppose I don't doubt you'd give up one of your own. This individual operates extensively across our space? Are they loyal to another or top of a chain?"

[member="Davon Karr"]

There came a voluminous snort.

"Know your enemy, Alor Karr. Loyalty is in short supply among Sith these days. The individual I'm referencing is, like most, loyal only to him- or herself. Top of a short chain, shall we say. Longer if you count kinship and corporate power instead of just Sith underlings. But isn't the way of it? Everyone has a loyal second cousin, a band of convenient fanatics, and a fortune. Not that I would mind having a fortune to spare. I don't mind telling you that it's not cheap to bankroll the liberation of a sector.

"If my offer works to your advantage, what should be the circumstances of the exchange, from your perspective? I feel we've bargained plainly enough so far; I hope we can keep that attitude. Too often, the details of the exchange become a point of contention, and nobody benefits."

The pause that followed was telling. Davon had visited the Korriban sector. The Sith didn't liberate territory for the good of the people, yet they didn't seem to have settled in the region after ousting the Silver Jedi. This Velok could be looking towards their space with similar ideas. Getting rid of a competitor might even be the first step towards it.

"If I delivered the girl to you, where would she be going? Or are you content for me to simply let her free at the edge of our space?"

Mia Monroe

M
Calina rolled her eyes at the ceiling. "It wasn't a threat, you overgrown dikut." she snapped. Drawing herself upright to glare at him perching on the end of her pathetic excuse of a bed. It was surprising what you picked up of a language when you were quiet enough to listen to those who held you captive. "It was a statement of fact. Killing your kind was a sport to them. You had the opportunity to join them and whoever was in charge...Mand'alor the Rebuilder, I believe, turned down and opportunity to keep the peace and opted instead for a war that killed billions. Casualties on both sides. I've no love lost for either."

She swung her legs round and rose from the bed again, wanting, very much, to keep the distance between them. "Whatever belief I had that my mother would come for me has long since been banished. I thought..." she trailed off, a lump forming in her throat, falling quiet as the woman spoke. Alor Balor...a leader of a clan.

She answered her question. "I committed no offence." she said quietly. "Unless you count being the child of a woman I would very much like to destroy." She began to pace. Why all this sudden talk of freedom? You will never leave Mandalore alive. That was what he had said, so why the sudden change of heart?

"Where is Ra?"

[member="Arla Balor"] [member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Davon Karr"]

[member="Davon Karr"]

"Somewhere safe. Comfortable, at least for a while: too much comfort after privation spurs weakness and nurtures self-pity. Nowhere near Mandalorian territory, I'll tell you that much: the last thing I need at this stage is a self-perpetuating feud. In truth, I haven't decided where to send her, or whether I can reasonably control where she goes after this.

"Does her destination affect her likelihood of release? Arrangements could be made, regardless of what she wants."

"Oh, she admitted to being a Sith operative who wanted to trade information for being allowed to stay in Ra's inner circle or something like that. It smelt like the Sith were trying to plant someone to influence him. He locked her up to see what high value targets would shake loose and come running for. Try and get some of them out of the way before we started knocking down Sith fortresses." Draco's voice was nonchalant. It wasn't like she couldn't come up with those bits and pieces on her own.

"Now that the Sith have run into the hills and have no stable territory, and that she didn't really bring us anyone of value from having her, I'm interested because I can sympathize. You and I both know my history when I served the Dark Lord and fought against the Republic in the name of the One Sith. I've been there before, so I'm looking into whether or not we, I more specifically, can salvage her, or whether she is too rabid to be let free." Draco seemingly made himself comfortable sitting on the edge of the metal plate that had a few blankets on it and what he guessed would be called a pillow.

"She's no where near as far gone as I was. She just needs a little guidance and a little freedom to make her own decisions and she will come around."

Draco turned his attention back towards the little Sith girl. She was pretty malnourished after having been in solitary for so long. "So, can I trust you if we walk out of here, and why should I, or will you turn on me when you get the chance." He was blunt and up front, and he suspected she would be cold and angry and closed off for a while, but she would warm up in the right environment. Utegetu Nebula would be a perfect place for her. Lots of space, secure, and lots of people that wouldn't think twice about accepting her. Out there she, like many young bloods who were bloodthirsty and angry, confused about their place in the galaxy, could find it in the wilderness, along with experience and training alongside veteran Mandalorians.

[member="Arla Balor"] [member="Calina Ovmar"] [member="Freynk Porkins"]

"She says she's committed no offense other than being here, even you Alor Vereen say that she was bait, so.." Arla watched Calina carefully just in case her instincts were wrong on this, in case she was being the fool allowing her own emotions to cloud clear thought. Arla had seen Calina pause if but a moment, yeah the actions of the mother weighed upon the daughter, yeah parents did that to their kids. feth em.

"I'd say Alor Vereen she needs a good meal unless she's on a hunger strike" She appeared a bit too thin or who knows maybe that was how she always looked, but people in prison often began to wear their cell more than inhabit it. The confinement radiated from their eyes, just as the color drained from their skin from lack of sun, and that was just physical appearance, what it did to the mind as time wore on was something else.

She seeks the man who confined her she noticed how Draco left out the answer to her question, and for good reason, if Ra was the one who imprisoned her why wasn't he here. Draco as Shukalar had the right she supposed. Course now being a Sith in Mando'ade territory that would get her in fights, and could get her killed but if she was a sith in practice to..her Clan had their share of experience with Sith. They did horrible things to her Vod, to her Buir..yeah.. Arla had no reason to like Sith.

But maybe there was some hope..."What do you say to that question, if you were taken from here" Surely she had thoughts of her own, thoughts that drove her actions, surely she was not just some puppet turned towards them.

[member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Calina Ovmar"]

Mia Monroe

M
Calina stared open mouth at Draco's answer to her supposed offence, talking of the Sith as if they were united. No stable territory? So the One Sith had finally collapsed, not that she cared, it was only a matter of time before another group rose, and so the cycle would begin again.

"Unbelievable." She said finally, stunned, by his prejudice and stereotyping. Although, if she took the time to think about it, it made sense, to label all sith as the same and cast them into a bucket,considering what the Empire had put them through...but, it still made her angry.

"What do I say?" She snorted with laughter. "I say your offer would have been considered, say, I dunno, six months ago, when it was clear that the big fish you were trying to catch never showed. Or even before you ignored my side of the story. It's no wonder mandalorians are a sport among groups of sith. You've got such severe tunnel vision that no matter what grape vine is handed to you, you will forever be at war."

She had stopped pacing and took half a step towards Draco. "My mother sent me here to offer help, in return for training for me. She sent me here because she believed that you would refine me as a warrior in a way that she could not. Her reasons were mostly selfless, by sending me here to train, it gave her the perfect excuse to drop herself into the middle of the One Sith and cause chaos, something she excels at. But Ra, like you, like all of you, heard only 'sith'."

She shook her head. "I came to learn...but now? All you want to do is change who I am. Sorry to disappoint you sunshine, but that's not going to happen."

She looked at Alor Balor. "I ask again, where, is Ra Vizsla? Where is your Mand'alor?"

[member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Arla Balor"] [member="Davon Karr"] [member="Velok the Younger"]

"He's not here." Draco said nonchalantly. "And he's not coming. You are stuck with me."

"I'm trying to help you girlie. I really am. I didn't put you in this prison, and now I'm here really trying to help you get out of it, on my own volition. I didn't say you didn't get the short end of the stick. I told Alor Balor what we had on why you were in here. If I didn't care what happened to you, I wouldn't be here talking about it." He dropped his head and buried his helmet into his hands, sighing with slight exasperation. He could be at home right now, not dealing with a teenager. He had thirteen years before he had to deal with this kind of attitude.

"So what are you going to do? Say no, let me close the door and leave you here?" Draco asked sarcastically when the girl turned his offer of leaving with him down. He laughed a little bit, she didn't realize that right this moment, she wasn't in a bargaining state. She had no cards to play with right now. All she could do was fold, or bet on what he was giving her.

"I'm literally offering you freedom for nothing and you said no. Its a small wonder your mother sent you to us. She's supposed to be smart right, so sending her Sith daughter to the people that declared a crusade on all Sith? Do you think, do you honestly think she wanted this to go down differently?" She couldn't see Draco's face behind his visor, but he was exasperated dealing with this teenager. He had thirteen years before he should have to deal with this. "She sent you to us to be rid of you. Plain and simple. I didn't put you here. Ra didn't put you here. She did. I want to help you because you are in the exact same position I was six years ago."

"When I was your age, I got sent to a prison camp by people I trusted, people I worked for. I spent four years in the deepest, darkest parts of Kessel where everyday something tried to kill me, and all I am trying to do is to keep that from happening to someone else. Now, shut up, and follow Alor Balor." He snapped his fingers and pointed at the door sternly, asserting what authority he had. The two Mandalorians outside in the corridor moved to make space so that she could get past them without having to struggle or bump into them.

"Yes Alor Balor, that would be nice. Surf and Turf on my ship and we can talk about the next step then." He did like steak and seafood. Maybe that would be the highlight of his day.

[member="Calina Ovmar"] [member="Arla Balor"] [member="Freynk Porkins"]

Yeah that would go over well call her girlie give her more reason to look at us like we are idiots.

Yep and now order her about like she has no choices. Arla looked at Calina "we can teach you even now if you want it. Alor Vereen seems to have walked a similar path. He might do well with you."

Arla wanted to say something comforting something that would say she could grown beyond this without making it sound like she was talking down to her.

Arla motioned for Calina to come with her. She spoke softly to her as they walked.

"My parents dumped me on a planet gave me to someone that once they figured out my parents weren't coming back he had me working off the debt he felt they owed him. The offer might be late but it's here. Use it to your advantage." Arla moved down the corridor.

She looked back to see what [member="Draco Vereen"] was doing

[member="Calina Ovmar"]

"I want to make sure this isn't some form of extradition, rather than a release," Davon replied plainly. He left an empty space, waiting to see if the Sith would fill it with words without further prompting.

Mia Monroe

M
Calina felt, and probably looked like, she had been slapped. Draco's words were ringing in her ears. It was one thing for her to think that her mother had abandoned her, it was another to hear someone else voicing her own fears. A voice jumped into her head, instantly hitting all the deny buttons. Her mother wouldn't leave her here, she just wouldn't. Well yes, she'd left her before, with Kaine, but that was different. She had trusted her with a mission, she hadn't expected such a ridiculous response. No it wasn't smart, but she couldn't help it, her head wasn't right. Her mind had been broken by her father...it wasn't her fault.

And then...

Why are you defending her?

Calina hadn't moved, even as Draco had risen, snapped his fingers at her his command had fallen on deaf ears, so had the pitiful attempt at comfort from Arla. She blinked twice, realising that her cheeks were damp from tears, the room coming back into focus again, despair filled eyes burning suddenly with pure hatred. She hated all of them, she would make all of them pay one way or another.

"No." she said, her voice barely above a whisper. Of course, she was being stupid, of course this was a ridiculous stance to take when someone had just opened the door for her. But reason had been forgotten in her despair. All she could see was another person attempting to mould her, someone else who wanted her to be something different to what she was. It didn't matter whether he slapped it with the label 'freedom' because it wasn't. She had no doubts that if she got her hands on the first ship she could and tried to leave mandalorian space, they would drag her back, laughing all the while as they did.

Freedom was taken, it was not given.

"No." she repeated, loudly, tears still rolling down her cheeks.

[member="Arla Balor"] [member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Davon Karr"]

Draco saw the tears and stopped. His strong, exasperated demeanor melted. Draco was a tortured soul, but he had made poor attempts at fatherhood before, and if there was one thing that had always stopped him cold it was this. He stopped and held up a hand, warding off the pair of Mandalorians outside, keeping them from coming in and dragging her out.

"Come here." He said quietly, his best attempt to use a soothing tone through his annunciator, holding his arms out and away from himself. "Its going to be alright, Calina. We are here to help you, I'm going to help you. You are going to be alright. We're gonna get you cleaned up, some hot food, and then we can talk, okay?" He knew he wasn't going to be the best person to comfort her, especially given that he was very likely the reason she was crying. He also knew that Davon was still on a personal call discussing something, which meant they had some time.

Draco stepped forward, holding his arms out for her if she wanted to. He was also being held up from his dinner that Arla had actually made him look forward to. He looked to Arla and shrugged at her, trying to be apologetic for the outburst of emotion.

[member="Calina Ovmar"] [member="Arla Balor"]

Arla stopped completely and looked at Calina, "OH for the love of Manda" Arla looked at Draco she had been trying to be neutral allow him to do whatever he thought was going to coax the girl from the cell. And she had tried to show some kind of kinship to her.

"Calina" Arla kept her voice even, "Do you want to stay in this cell? I mean really think about this four by four room with a bed, and down the hall communal showering, and how every single thing you do is controlled and determined by someone else?" Arla stood by the door where she had waited hoping Calina had followed.

"Make the decision to come out take a few steps away from........being in someone else's control.....and start to control your own destiny. Let's start with food that doesn't come in a bowl and look like grey goo"

She saw Draco standing there offering an arm, so Arla reached out with her hand, "You don't have to decide anything else right now, except to come out of the cell and have something to eat."

Opportunity was knocking on the door, sometimes it was recognized sometime not...but either way it was a choice made.

[member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Calina Ovmar"]

[member="Davon Karr"]

"Oh, I see. That puts things in another light."

An audible shrug.

"I'm not sure how to assuage your worries in a concrete way, except to tell you this. There are precious few Sith who I can genuinely trust. She is not one of them, but she could become one, and that puts her closer than most. I have uses for her as an equal and ally. Anyone who would punish her for some imagined failure related to her capture would have to go through me. What she suffered was senseless and easily avoidable, but that recompense falls on other heads. No, I have no interest in disciplining her, nor in letting her fall into hands of those who might. Does that address your concern?"

Freynk Porkins

F
[member="Draco Vereen"] [member="Velok the Younger"] [member="Arla Balor"] [member="Davon Karr"] [member="Calina Ovmar"]

The medical freighter moved into a landing pattern as it followed the designated flight path. The running lights flashed as the ship moved into the atmosphere and changed direction slightly to move to the designated landing area. The small fellow that was technically in charge of the ship stood and removed his grey suit jacket and poor boy cap and slipped on a white over-coat from the hospital where he was supposed to be employed. He adjusted his name badge that didn't bother to use a different name and picked up a medical kit that he actually knew how to use before looking back to the pilot's seat and the man who was just now guiding the ship to land on its struts.

"Alright, bub, now the fun part." Freynk said as he began to move to the boarding ramp, "Let me do the talking, in fact wait here, and keep the ship running. I still owe 36 payments on this hunk of junk."

He walked through the ship, his black dress shoes, clanging on the deck as he moved. The boarding ramp lowered and he carefully walked down as it opened fully. He hit his head on the underside of the ship as he stood too early. He grabbed his head for a moment and let out a quiet curse before containing himself and straightening his coat. He stepped away from the ship a few meters and checked his chrono, then looked around wide eyed like an idiot that spent all of his time in one dead-end job. He hoped this would be over relatively soon.

"It doesn't, no, but it'll go a long way to lessening my guilt if it turns out you're lying," Davon replied. There was nothing judgmental in his tone, in fact he sounded decidedly relaxed.

"You can bring the Aetan's Maw, I'll bring a cruiser. We can park on opposite sides of a neutral system, make faces at each other out the windows. We can send a shuttle with the girl, you send the information when she passes half way so I can verify it? By the way, does the girl even know you?"

Mia Monroe

M
"DON'T TOUCH ME!" she shrieked, her voice reverberating off the cell walls as Draco advanced, his arms extended in an offer of comfort. She took another step back from him, trembling from head to toe. She closed her eyes, swallowing her emotions and desperately attempting to calm herself. She opened her eyes again as Arla spoke, a bitter laugh escaping her.

"Of course I don't want to stay here. But nor do I want to go anywhere with you." she shot a nasty look towards Draco. "You speak so softly of a meal and a simple talk. You ask me, if you can trust me not to stab you in the back, yet you give me no reason to trust you in return. You talk of freedom, when all you offer me, in truth, will be a longer leash."

She shook her head and turned away, finger slipping into her hair as she clutched her head, as if trying to squeeze it into a rational thought process. Her options were, admittedly, limited. Stay and die, leave and live. Living was always preferable. Her hands dropped to her sides and she drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly, focusing for a moment on this, and quieting her mind with great difficulty. Escape would be far easier out there, than in here.

"I will go with you." she said finally turning around.

[member="Arla Balor"] [member="Draco Vereen"]

[member="Davon Karr"]

"I'm amenable to that plan," the Whiphid said. "It's serviceable enough and I have no interest in haggling. Does it afford you the chance to send me an empty shuttle, or one loaded with baradium or soldiers or tracking drones? Certainly, but I suspect Mandalorian leaders don't break their word easily. Or try anything so prosaic when they do.

"As for Calina - yes, she knows me. We've encountered each other before, worked together on occasion. I would like to speak with her now, please."

"You are right, I'm asking you to trust me." Draco's trust had been hard to come by during his darkest days, but he had still found someone he was willing to confide in, someone he trusted with all his being. Perhaps Calina just needed some proof. "Come on then." He said, ushering her out into the corridor.

"How about this. You come with me, you listen to what I have to say, and then I'll make sure you have everything you need to leave if you want to. Ship, supplies, even a little money if you need it." Maybe telling her she had a way to leave on her own volition would ease her mind just a bit, make her a little more susceptible to listening to him and staying in the Utegetu Nebula. "That way you don't feel trapped." And she'd be easy to keep up with anyway.

Arla was there, also trying to calm the girl down and she would likely have a lot better results than he would. He wasn't much for playing the role of executioner of a young girl that as of yet hadn't done anything. His clan as filled with people her age that were young, angry, and looking for their place in the galaxy. Many of them joined the adults in battle and roamed the wilderness in packs fighting killiks and what predators they felt like.

Worst case was, she ran at first chance and never came back, which wasn't too bad. It would save him a lot of hassle and time in the long run, but there was a ping of regret in that thought, that someone else would just be lost on the winds of fortune like he had been.

[member="Calina Ovmar"] [member="Arla Balor"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom