Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Move Company Factory to Codex

[member="Captain Larraq"]
I see where this makes sense, but I also can see the argument that the companies are there for the marketplace and for the fact that they produce most of the technology submitted to it.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I'm torn on that.

This is something that was very vigorously discussed when the Codex was formed.

In the end it was decided to leave it in the factory because the vast majority of things companies sell are made in the factory. It made little sense to have CJs having to rule on whether a company could use x or y starships or guns.
Not to mention that the Marketplace is in the Factory, and so companies and the marketplace go together.

The Codex is primarily for lore creation and expansion, and whilst companies do encompass that somewhat, primarily it deals with RPing the creation and sale of items for use by characters.

So yes, it’s been considered and we’ve decided to stay with how it is because we feel it makes more sense.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I have to disagree, as even though companies don't all manufacture, most do. Locations and NPCs are more supplementary to a company (to everything, really), whereas products and services are their lifeblood.

Edit: Wow, sniped up the Wazu.

Darth Sinna said:
I see where this makes sense, but I also can see the argument that the companies are there for the marketplace and for the fact that they produce most of the technology submitted to it.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I'm torn on that.
I know. I have been thinking about it all day. While not many people make Company focused NPC's, it's something that I have been doing and am continuing to make more of. Also, Location submissions made specifically for companies... Are the primary and critical reason why I think Company Judges need to be in the Codex and not the Factory.

Valiens Nantaris said:

It made little sense to have CJs having to rule on whether a company could use x or y starships or guns.
I've yet to see a Company come up in the Starship, Vehicle, or Technology Factory outside of "Your company is too small to make that product at Mass production levels."

Valiens Nantaris said:

Not to mention that the Marketplace is in the Factory, and so companies and the marketplace go together.
Yes, but the Marketplace is collectively managed by the owners of each company, not by any Judge. Nobody has ever, to my knowledge, stepped up and told a company that they cannot sell to an individual, nor have they limited how much of a product they can sell to one or another individual.

If the Marketplace is not the territory of the Judges, and the Marketplace is the primary reason why the Company section is in the Factory and not the Codex... Then why?

Actually, there's a giant debacle over the subject of companies in the factory at the moment, and quite often [recently] it has came up in submissions for those trying to create stuff outside of their company's operations.

It works the way it is, companies are tied to the production of what goes on in the factory. Makes sense as an entity to be in the Codex, but because of its ties in the factory its staying where it is. Like what [member="Valiens Nantaris"] said, its been discussed.

Valiens Nantaris said:

The Codex is primarily for lore creation and expansion, and whilst companies do encompass that somewhat, primarily it deals with RPing the creation and sale of items for use by characters.
The Factory is where physical objects are made and sold. A Company, just like NPC's, are organizations of one or more individuals that often exist at specific locations.

Whether the company sells a product, makes a product, or provides a service is dependent on the Company in question. Companies exist more as a roleplay or story element (such as a location or an NPC) then as a physical object (like everything else in the factory).

It just... doesn't feel right the way it is.

That is not the primary reason, and I never said it was.

The primary reason is that the vast majority of companies make items from the Technology, Starships or Vehicles forum. The few which may eventually use NPCs is an acceptable cross-pollination. Whilst companies might reside at locations or on planets, they don’t sell them. Occasionally, like one of mine, they might sell species, but the number is tiny compared to the tech companies.

So, to answer your question, it has been considered and rejected.

I have around 20-25 planned Location Submissions for Mandal Hypernautics and its subsidiaries.

I have one planned for Clan Dem'adas (a part of the Mandalorian faction)

I have 130 named NPC's that I am working on for Mandal Hypernautics.

I have 150 named NPC's that I eventually plan on working on for Clan Dem'adas.

While I can understand that the majority of writers simply focus on X Starship or Y Technology (and create a company specifically as a tool to acquire said technology), those writers often simply use those Companies as a make and throw-away tool to get the toy that they want.

The people who really -use- companies, do far, far, far more with them. The kind of things that tend to lean more towards Roleplay and Story elements, similar to what gets seen in the Codex. As opposed to the Factory.

From what I've noticed is that most use these companies to create their starships, Vehicles and technology. Some use it for story and that's cool, but most use their function as a source of creation for their things. Your point was made, but as what [member="Valiens Nantaris"] has said its been discussed and its staying as is for now. [member="Captain Larraq"]

That's nice, but since you seem impervious to hints.

It's not changing.

You've presented your thoughts, all of which were brought up 2 months ago.

A decision was taken. This is how it will be for now.

Captain Larraq said:
Yes, but the Marketplace is collectively managed by the owners of each company, not by any Judge. Nobody has ever, to my knowledge, stepped up and told a company that they cannot sell to an individual, nor have they limited how much of a product they can sell to one or another individual.

If the Marketplace is not the territory of the Judges, and the Marketplace is the primary reason why the Company section is in the Factory and not the Codex... Then why?
I was the market judge before the recent turn around in FJ's. :)

Now everyone can manage it, but folk leave it to me to generally organize it and make sure things go well.

I've actually told companies to please fix things if an issue comes up in the market, bounty, and auction forums. For example, posting a market thread for a business that had no company sub.

Danger Arceneau said:
I was the market judge before the recent turn around in FJ's. :)

Now everyone can manage it, but folk leave it to me to generally organize it and make sure things go well.

I've actually told companies to please fix things if an issue comes up in the market, bounty, and auction forums. For example, posting a market thread for a business that had no company sub.

Very fair point. And sorry if I seem argumentative in this thread. Like I said a post or two ago, it just doesn't feel right where it is (to me anyway). It didn't really hit home for me how awkward it felt until I made my two most recent submissions. I've already got one NPC that's the CEO of a company and I just made a group of 7 named NPC's that run another company. To me, it feels like the people who run the Company Factory should be able to pop up and handle the review and edits of those submissions. Likewise, Danger just popped up and told me in a company submission that a Tier 2 company can only be on three planets at submission. It made me really re-evaluate the relationship between Companies and Locations. Especially if you look at my character profile and see where all I view Mandal Hypernautics as operating (click the main image in my signature for a link).

Perhaps, in the future if it becomes an issue, there could be a third Factory/Codex section where the Marketplace, Company Subs, and Company specific Location and NPC submissions can be placed?

*shrug*

Also, Company Codex sounds more appropriate than Company Factory. =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom