Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirrorverse backstory

1757 Age of Prosperity

The Emperor walked around the outer edge of the platform. The wind at the peak of Imperial Tower was like a gale, yet it seemed to have no hold over him. Not a single piece of clothing moved out of place. Meanwhile, Raziel, the current head of the Department for Re-education, struggled to keep his footing.

“Do you know what I see, when I look out there?” The Emperor asked, indicating the vast expanse of the city that expanded to the horizon in all directions.

“Perfection?” Raziel asked tentatively, grimacing against the wind. The Emperor seemed to notice his discomfort. There was a casual flick of his gauntlet and the air was suddenly completely still around them both. For Raziel, the instant return to almost complete silence was almost more disconcerting than the air rushing past him.

“No. This is the model, but it is far from perfect," the Emperor replied, shaking his head. "We have control all across the Galaxy. Released from their endless squabbles they have had their freedom taken away to give them real freedom. Freedom to be productive citizens of my empire. Advancement had been near stagnant for tens of thousands of years before the Empire, did you know that?”

“No,” Raziel replied. It wasn’t quite the truth, but he knew better than to interrupt his Emperor's line of thought.

“Now technology advances at an exponential rate. Healthcare is better than ever, crime is at an all time low. All they had to do was swallow the bitter pill; do as they’re told; and turn their efforts to hard graft instead of pointless wars or mounting pitiful resistances to my rule.

“But this comes at a cost. The veneer of control is quite thin you see. It costs so much to maintain this level of control, to pay for all this ships and Peacekeepers. I know we’ve made inroads, the automation programme: scanners in every home, drones on the streets, less bounty hunters - who are essentially leashed dogs I want to put down as soon as possible. I have a dream Raziel, would you like to hear it?”

“Yes sir, I would.”

“I thought you would, and I think you might share this dream. I imagine a world where we do not need this layer of control to be enforced. Where the citizen’s natural instinct is to obey. Think of a place where everyone simply got on with what we told them to do. It can happen. It will happen.

“Just look at the new generation. Ten million citizens were reported for displaying signs of outlawed thought last year - by their own children.” the Emperor said with a wide smile across his face. “They are the future. They won’t need to be forced to be subservient, they will grow up wanting to be this way. They will think the thoughts will tell them to think and they will give up their spirits for the greater good.

“If I asked you what you saw before you, would you still reply ‘perfection’?”

“No, that was naive.” Raziel replied solemnly.

“Good, good. I share this with you because I think you might understand. I need people like you who share this vision,” he said. But that was only a partial truth. They were a breed that would also need to be removed from the bigger picture. One day there would be no intelligence agents, no Peacekeepers garbed in white on the streets.

What had they called them in the other place again? Ah yes, stormtroopers. Such a violent name, the Emperor mused, recalling something from a lifetime ago. There was no need for the people to understand the vision any more, they simply had to accept it as nature. “It is not to be shared and neither should you voice my concerns on how long we can afford to run things as we do now. Is this understood?”

“Of course, sir,” Raziel said with a respectful bow.

1653 Age of Prosperity

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Imperial cruiser Malediction held firm just below the cloud of Cormalum. Its odd design featured a command tower that extended from the ventral hull. For this very reason it had been chosen as the new resting place of the Imperial throne. From here the Emperor could watch his palace slowly reach for the sky. From here one could make out the skeletal frame of the structure. The lowest kilometers of the palace already had an outer shell and we're nearly habitable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Do you know why you are here Inquisitor Jerl?” the Emperor's voice boomed across the throne room. Even the stunning visage of the ever expanding city below could not take the edge of fear from his mind as he heard those words. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jerl attempted to hold his head high as he addressed his Lord. He could not even see the Emperor's face from here. The mighty helm that rested on his eight foot frame shrouded his features. “I am here because you wish me to take the position of High Inquisitor,” he stated. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Perhaps. In any case the inquisition is changing. What you may come to run will be know as the Department for Reeducation,” came the reply. Every syllable send a shudder up Jerl’s spine. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]He could not keep the look of confusion from his face. “The name is… strange,” he offered.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Yes. Yes it is. This is a new era we move into now Jerl. The fire and of the past is to be put behind as as we enter a new age. And Age of Prosperity. What does the inquisition currently do?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]His mind started to panic. Was this a trick question? He sensed there was some deeper meaning being sought, but rather than make a fool of himself he answered plainly. “We watch the citizens of the Empire for dissent. Route out any dangerous elements before they can act.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“And do you do this publicly?” came the reply, almost casual in tone. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Well no my lord. They know we operate, they sometimes see the uniform, but our methods are kept to ourselves.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“And has this policy been successful, in light of recent events?” the Emperor asked. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Jerl felt a bead of sweat run down his face. No one had seen the High Inquisitor in weeks. It was said he had retired, but no one had seen his face since he had been called before the Emperor. Few know the mind of their leader, but it was said he had been quite upset recently.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Do not answer,” the Emperor interrupted with a wave of a massive gauntlet. Jerl’s eyes followed the multitude of gems inset into that golden fist. “It has not served me as it should. I have had a revelation Inquisitor Jerl. What the people need is to understand that this is all for their [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]own [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]benefit. Few people enjoy eating vegetables and yet they do so because it is drilled into them from infancy. ‘Eat your vegetables, swallow down the bitter leaf, because [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]it is good for you.[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]’ This is what I have come to realise. We must tell the citizens what is good for them over and over and over until it becomes nature for them. When they obey because they have come to understand it is the right thing to do, rather than because they fear my rule...then we will have the world I have envisaged. Do you understand?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“This would take...generations so much time…”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]The Emperor again waved one arm dismissively. “I have already started. Education, history, entertainment. It is already being changed to suit our needs. Every corner of the holonet has been brought to heel. I will change language too I think. This is why I chose you Jerl. Bring me your suggestions for my new world by the end of the week, let me see if your abilities truly are suited to the role I have foreseen for you. Imperial Centre will be the testbed for our new way of life, but it will spread across the Galaxy until everything is peaceful, serene perfection.” [/SIZE]

The City is not as old as its citizens currently believe.

1609 Age of Prosperity

[SIZE=14.6667px]What had once been the High Inquisitor made the only noise in that broke the deathly silence. All of the faces looked at what was left. Shock was frozen on their features as they looked on. The crumpled mess of gore and uniform still gasped as some instinctive force kept trying to draw breath into broken lungs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]They all turned towards the Emperor, fearful for their lives. They hadn’t betrayed him, yet his wrath had been so powerful that they wondered if the storm would abate before he turned to them. This was not the Emperor they knew; the regal, wise and softly spoken ruler. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]His hand returned back to his side, but his fingers trembled still. The wars had all been won. For forty years his age of prosperity had been enjoyed by all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“She still fights me,” he whispered. None replied. None knew to whom he referred. “The peace was perfect, yet she is so blinded by her hatred that she will tear it all down.” His voiced boomed around the hall. “She turned my own friends against me,” he added, barely above a whisper. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“My Lord, we can deploy all forces to…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“No. Leave me,” he commanded and they all shuffled out, looking back over their shoulder in fear. Pitiful creatures, he decided. The lived for the scraps that fell from his table, none willing to risk anything for his vision.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Emperor marched past the now still remains of his High Inquisitor to the view screen. The screen afforded a stunning view of Coruscant. From the low hanging orbit his Throne-ship currently resided in, he could see the fires as they spread across the capital of the Empire. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“THE ROT MUST BE STOPPED HERE BEFORE IT CAN SPREAD.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The World Razer did not appear, but its distinctive voice emanated from every speaker on the viewing gallery. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I thought she had died or given up the fight long ago. Yet the perfection of this strike, the way she subverted those closest to me….it has to be her.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I CAN STOP THIS HERE.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Emperor’s long, wrinkled face creased up in consternation. “I don’t have the manpower to contain this. My own legions are turning against me.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I SHALL CONSUME THIS WORLD AND END THIS REBELLION.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“No,” he replied quickly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“YOU DID NOT RESIST WHEN WE WERE BUILDING THIS EMPIRE. TOGETHER.” There was no question in the tone, it was a simple observation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“There are a trillion souls down there. I will not permit it. You ask this because you hunger.” There was a long silence. The Emperor sensed the cogs of a vast intelligence turning. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I WILL GIVE YOU THE TOOLS TO STOP THIS EVER HAPPENING AGAIN.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“How?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I WILL HELP YOU KEEP THE PEACE WITHOUT RELYING ON THE MORTAL. WITHOUT RELYING ON THAT WHICH IS INHERENTLY FLAWED. LET ME CONSUME AND YOUR VISION WILL BE CONSTRUCTED.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Emperor held there, balled fists at his sides. They had all betrayed him. He had given so much to make his vision a reality and those closest to him had been subverted by her words. What was freedom anyway? He brought peace, stability, prosperity. Was that not enough? He sensed the World Razer waiting patiently for his words. Somehow he knew that this was just a delay, that they both knew what came next.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“No one will say the word ‘Coruscant’ ever again. We will start again. We will make anew,” he said to himself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“I FEAST.”[/SIZE]

The third rebellion lasted only a day. The World Razer consumed Coruscant and ended the fight. Few still tell tales of this day. No record of Coruscant can be found anywhere in the Galaxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom