Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

The Dim-U monks? The people who preach collective origin of species based on how many planets the banthas call home? And all those allegations of charlatanism, con artistry?

But then again, when they're portrayed or discussed it's often in an exaggerated form, played for laughs. It wouldn't be the first time that a tradition had more worth than its public image would indicate.

"Now that," she said, "is fascinating. Remind me to ask you sometime about pre-Republic genetic diversity and the origins of the bantha. Do you know, there's a number of pre-Republic archaeological site in the Naboo system which have depictions of banthas? One of them is quite strong in the Force - a pool of visions, at least by reputation. But we can save that discussion for a non-professional venue."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"I would be very interested to discuss it with you, of course." Lord Fa nodded politely and smiled a little bit, even from this side of the table he could see that she was surprised at the least.

But maybe disbelief was a better word for it.

"The way of the Bantha is one of majestic beauty and calm peace. Oneness with the natural world." The Thirriken quoted part of the beginning scriptures of the faith, he left out the last part. Because in truth it was not the Bantha itself that interested him, it was the deep connection with nature that was fascinating.

"In truth, it helps me stay centered, even when I am surrounded by industrial sprawl and urbanization." He realized that this wasn't a complete answer to her question, as the Dim-U did not dabble in the Force as much as other orders.

"But in strictly Force-matters, I am much the same as you, I am afraid. Picking up tricks here and there, but I try to keep my sources as diverse as possible and draw from as many movements as possible. It keeps the mind... open to new ideas, if you will."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"I see. Perhaps we could compare notes at some point; I wouldn't mind learning how you've adapted the Force to your priorities, your lifestyle. What use would someone like us have for, oh, lightning and shockwaves? We deal with other kinds of power and influence."

She smiled faintly. "Thank you very much for your time, Mister Fa. This has been enlightening. You've given me a good deal to think about." What else was there to say that might be appropriate? She already felt she'd trespassed on his good nature a little; no point in pressing the initiative with more questions that might offend him. "We'll have to sit down and discuss these things once our business plans are a little more concrete. I'll get back to you with the board of directors' response as soon as possible."

She stood from her chair. "And thank you for your hospitality. I'm looking forward to getting to know Humbarine."

Ruul
[member="Ajira Cardei"]​

Tundra. Craggy hills and valleys. Strip-mined canyons.

But that was only the surface of Ruul, only the things you picked up, if you surveyed it a little bit and left it alone afterwards. But this was a few months after his last conversation with Cardei, the restoration of Humbarine was well on its way - he managed to reconnect with Aurora and gain their pledge of support, from which more (if smaller) Alliance corporations decided to sign on as well. This, the public scandal surrounding House Humbar and a lack of support from all sides, had allowed Lord Fa to take a leading role in the mercantile sector.

His position was strong, his investments ran deep and now Tai Fa had access to the Humbars' archives.

The things he had discovered there... oh, it would have ruined Tjot Humbar many times over, if he was still a relevant face within the cut-throat politics of the sector. One of the things the archives revealed was a secret revival of the ancient Tarkin Detention Facility years ago.

Political dissidents, rivals and simply those that the Humbars did not like disappeared and were never heard from again.

Quite a crude measure of control, if Lord Fa's opinion was asked.

The mines were silent, the little villages and small cities consisting of hard-working laborers and miners were dissatisfied with the situation. Somewhere his agents had rediscovered the Ruul Computer Complex. There was much activity, many things to accomplish on Ruul, to bring it back into the fold as a productive member of the Humbarine Sector.

Lady Cardei and him had scheduled another meeting today, on Ruul. To oversee the processing and release of those prisoners who were considered a victim of political machinations.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"Nice to see you again, Mister Fa. I only wish it was under more pleasant circumstances. It's a sad day when the private sector and governments half a galaxy away need to straighten out a situation like this."

On the wind-blasted plains around the Tarkin Detention Facility, a number of prefabricated secure buildings had been erected, presumably by Fa Holdings. The new buildings comprised processing and housing facilities, as well as offices for local law enforcement, Fa Holdings representatives, and offworld consultants. The Theed Tactical Peace Officer Unit had sent a delegation, two squads under Ajira's loose supervision. The TPCU, experts in counterterrorism, would help train and bolster the officers who were supervising, vetting, and ultimately releasing the prisoners. From an observation gallery on the third floor of one of the larger prefabs, Ajira and Tai Fa looked down on the entire process. Wind swirled grit around the edges of the windows. A small droid hovered just outside, wiping dust off the transparisteel.

"The Government of Naboo is happy to help, of course. Sharing best practices, strengthening democratic institutions - it's what we do."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"Agreed and I thank you for your government and your own assistance in this matter." Lord Fa responded with a grim tone, as he looked on with the line of prisoners growing ever larger. Tai Fa was a Sith, this much was clear, and he would never truly see himself as a good sentient.

But it lacked a certain amount of class to simply lock up everyone who disagreed with you or competed with you. Where was the dignity in it?

Where was the high-minded plots and ploys that made a true player's heart sing?

"It is sorely needed, my corporation has little experience in... this. It would be naive and frankly dangerous to simply assume that everyone here was innocent, to release them without any questions asked. It's a logistical nightmare, if I am being frank. First, we need to process them - check-out their identities, their stories."

In the meantime they had to be taken care of, food, supplies and other important commodities.

"Then, we have to figure out what would be a reasonable form of compensation, if any can be supplied at that."

But there were also benefits. Some of these people had been experts in their fields, scientists and leaders of industry, their corporations and assets and everything else that made them... them, was gone. But if they were offered a different path, a different solution within Fa Holdings?

That could be a coup of sorts.

"Too much to think about, really. I assume that the contacts I supplied you with were satisfactory?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"More than satisfactory, thank you. In fact, His Majesty's Office has asked me to express the government's appreciation for your efforts. Certain government and private agencies on Humbarine, Trellen, Mawan, and Pria have purchased survey probes, customs inspection equipment, towed sensor arrays compatible with their existing vessels, even full-sized patrol corvettes. There's a hunger for quality information; knowledge gaps have been a major disincentive for growth and stability.

"As for the aid, I'm told the TPCU was happy to assist. This kind of training and guidance operation is their stock in trade. They filled those functions in the aftermath of Coruscant's liberation, you know: teaching the new local authorities how to identify and handle vulnerable populations and infiltrators. In a situation like this, they're the people you want separating the true criminals from the political dissidents.

"When it comes to compensation, I'm told the recently deposed authorities had a good deal of improperly allocated land set aside for their private use. I'm told it's been seized, and though its fate is hotly debated, I'd imagine your leverage could see to it that portions of that land went to the improperly imprisoned. That would also take most of the issue of the total bill for financial compensation off the table, if you play it right."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

It was good to hear that Theed was finding fertile ground within the Humbarine Sector for its business practices, because when money rolled and rolled well, the success would be heard by many. If Theed was pleased, then others would get even more curious than they already were.

He imagined it wouldn't be long, before he would have to start declining offers of assistance. Already it was getting difficult to stay on top of it all. One aide had turned into two, three and four, until the Sith had decided to just form a separate department in his apparatus that was specifically tailored towards putting offers in brackets of interest and necessity. The ones that were the least interesting were put in the lowest code of priority, et cetera.

"I would lie, if I said that we haven't had very heated discussions on the matter." Lord Fa agreed. "For the most part I have managed to make the movers and shakers of the government agree that those who were innocently stripped of their assets will have first priority to the lands."

"But that still leaves a wide area of assets open and I have to contend with opportunists who would rather lay claim themselves, instead of looking at ways for it to benefit the sector as a whole."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"Opportunists are everywhere, I'll admit. It's certainly an uphill battle trying to contend with massed self-interest. I'd argue that the art of creating governments, systems, and situations lies in balancing different actors' self-interest against each other. Are there factions you could play off against each other - 'better some third party has it than my enemy gets it,' perhaps? Or maybe something more like 'I have the public moral high ground over my enemy because I support the altruistic move of giving land to the wronged,' along those lines?"

A shrug, a chuckle, perhaps out of tune with the wretched scene below.

"Not that I know the first thing about the local politics with which you're grappling, Mister Fa. In any case, have you considered popularizing these people's cause? Collecting donations? Partnering with humanitarian organizations? Developments like that can help you bring pressure to bear on rival factions."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

It was curious how much this one seemed to know about the details of power brokerage on the political scale.

A bit too much for the role she was fulfilling in her company, which would have made Lord Fa curious, if he wasn't an adherent of the belief that if it did not involve him, he shouldn't be too curious about it. Cardei was already curious enough about his religion and the sort, without him feeding that curiosity with his own questions.

"That is actually a very good thought, I may have a few contacts who could help with it." Lord Fa mused a bit to himself. "It will probably piss off the parties who are carefully lobbying for their own benefit, but the moment I go public with it, they will be pressured to either side with me or get crushed by public momentum."

The line was getting shorter, if only marginally so.

"You have excellent instincts, Lady Cardei, and I am grateful for all your assistance. Do not think I will forget it." An inclination of his beak in thanks. To receive respect, one must give respect, it was a lesson the Thirriken had learned early on. The Sith were far too inclined to try and take things by force.

But all they would gain is grudging obedience that would turn into betrayal sooner rather than later.

"Have you had any more thoughts about the Dim-U since we last spoke?" He inquired politely. "I am aware you were respectfully containing your questioning."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"Your insight does you credit," said Ajira, still watching the scene below. Local authorities and Theed TPCU were bringing out another group of former prisoners for better health care, in-depth vetting, and so forth. "I admit I've thought about the subject. I took a look at available reference material on the tradition you follow, and i couldn't find much more than what I presume to be surface-level details, the sorts of things that outside commentators usually latch onto and exaggerate. I could find very little on the heart of the tradition, the core principles. What sort of behavior does your faith promote? What sort of ethics? And how does it handle the great questions at most faiths and traditions try to address -- how to live well, the nature and purpose and destiny of life, whether one exists after death or before birth, and what that condition might look like -- and deeper than that, why? Every faith, sooner or later, seeks to answer the why, or should.

"Forgive me if that's too much to ask at once. You could say you've sparked my curiosity."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

There was a little bit of amusement apparent as he patiently listened to all her questions.

"Perhaps you should write them down?" Lord Fa asked jokingly, before re-positioning himself and thinking a little bit about the philosophy of the Dim-U. What was there to say, how to say it and how to make her understand what they meant behind all those little words and scriptures?

Maybe the truth would work better?

"I will speak truthfully, then, I am not a person who enjoys to simply take my truth from one source - I believe I mentioned this before - and so, when I say that I follow the Dim-U, it does not mean that I ignore everything else and take their words for the galaxy's only real truth." He explained briefly. "What I believe the Dim-U teaches right is a focus on the natural world, on becoming one with it instead of being detached of it. To pursue calm peace and a certain sense of dignity in all your dealings. To view this world as the world we live in, to cherish it and enjoy it, before we step into the next journey."

Lord Fa wove his hand.

"We believe that there is no true end, that when we live, we learn and what we learn, we take with us further. That the more we live and experience, the better we become. We believe that we should reserve judgement, that we should seek a middle road between aiding people who need it, without becoming a crutch and stunting their own development. We may help them begin the path, but we cannot walk it for them."

After a while Tai sighed and shrugged, looking back at the scene playing out in front of them. The line was almost done now, inside the installation there were more prisoners -- but they were the ones considered highly dangerous and who needed to be processed with even more security at hand.

"I hope that answers some of your questions?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"In some depth," she admitted. "Thank you for your perspective. The Naboo religion teaches several similar principles; the details get packaged as metaphors, as gods, a sort of symbolic polytheism, but in essence, at a fundamental level, there are plenty of parallels." She offered a hint of a sardonic smile. "Not that I'm trying to evangelize you in any way. I was simply curious about the mechanics of it all."

At last, she turned away from the window. There generally came a point in any examination of misery at which one realized one'se self-castigation was about penance for one's good fortune. Excessive focus on others' disadvantages tended to be a mechanism for making oneself feel better. She had no patience for that sort of weakness. "This project, fixing the political prison system on Ruul -- it's unusually altruistic for a construction company, from a certain point -- well, from a certain perspective. How did you justify it to your people? A 'give back' sort of initiative, or is it about improving the general rule of law to attract investment, or..." She shrugged. "How did you frame it?"

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

He nodded.

"When I was younger I held several letter exchanges with intellectuals, nobility and religious researchers, it was quite enlightening on a number of subjects. If you are interested, I would be willing to exchange thoughts with you as well. I haven't had a good debate in a long time." Perhaps it was something that would bring them too close to each other's secrets.

Wasn't it a good debate and discussion that could truly reveal one's true thoughts?

But in truth Lord Fa was pleasantly surprised about Cardei's attitude and curiosity, it reminded him briefly of his own, which was why the offer stood there.

"You know- I found early on that there were two general ways to motivate people to work; obligation and self-interest. You could either force them into compliance or you could show them that working productively and efficiently helped them. But the issue here is that self-interest can not take root, when the sentients of this sector have to fear that their success will be taken away from them the moment they outreach a potential."

Of course, the other two messages had equal value, but it was this one that he tried to instill.

"So, by releasing these prisoners and helping them, by giving back what was stolen, I hope to imprint faith that everyone in this sector can work and achieve fortune without being cheated out of it, when those higher-up get envious."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"That's a sensible approach. Everything comes down to incentives. If your average person believes that their work can help them advance, that they aren't stuck in one position or place or income bracket, they work harder and aspire to more. There are studies to that effect, I believe. To increase that sense of possibility and that faith in results, maybe you should consider sponsoring retraining and exchange programs. I'm reliably informed that several worlds in this sector have what's called a skills gap: hundreds of thousands of skilled-trades positions going empty for lack of trained personnel." She gestured back at the window. "Or perhaps just for lack of trained personnel in the right place."

After a long moment, she pulled out her datapad. "Excuse me a moment," she said. "I need to...oh, there it is. Part of the sector's background brief in one of the appendices. Do you know what an institution's deferred maintenance total is? It's the sum that would be required to fix everything that needs fixing, bring every building up to code, and so forth. Most higher education institutions run gigantic deferred maintenance numbers, and patch what they can, when they can.

"If you want to close a skills gap, do two things. Give trade schools the funds or in-kind services to fill their deferred maintenance obligations, and establish scholarships."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"Droids are perfect for low-maintenance labor, where little oversight is necessary, but they sadly lack the inherent capacity of a sentient to figure out more focused and complicated work, more often than not. Most of the sector's industry has been mostly silent for years, many working in service sectors or being co-opted by less than legal areas. But, I agree, if we push this hard enough and show the people that the opportunities are out there?"

A wing wove softly, making an almost grasping motion.

"We might just be able to pull them out of apathy and int-" Before Lord Fa could finish his sentence, a steady fast blip on his datapad caught his attention.

He looked apologetically before taking the screen and started reading. Outwardly nothing changed to his demeanor, though it would presumably be more difficult to figure out what a change or shift in his expression was regardless as a peacock. But in the end Tai Fa put down the datapad.

"I am afraid I will have to cut this meeting short. There's been an incident that needs my attention."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"Do what you have to do, Mister Fa," she said with a brisk nod. This was more familiar territory than talking about ethics and feelings. She took a few steps to the side and turned away, looking out the window again. Her comlink was a small chrome cylinder with an interstellar range; she pulled it out and toggled the frequency of the ship she'd taken here.

"Report."

"One sensor contact inbound, ma'am. Unknown type, high velocity. We're raising shields and arming defensive emplacements. Do you require pickup?"

"Not at this time. I'm with Tai Fa, and I'm certain his defensive measures are sufficient to the situation."

"Acknowledged. Let's keep an open channel, ma'am."

"Agreed."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

Brows furrowed up in contemplation.

In reality Lord Fa had been expecting Cardei to retreat back, be picked up to be out of possible danger, but it seemed that the woman had a keen sense of her own limitations. He pushed himself off the floor, letting himself rest on the edge of his own seat while studying the table in front of them.

After some calibrations a holographic image of Ruul appeared.

Then it was updated by the situation at hand, the focus zone was a location fairly far away from here.

"We were exploring the avenues of reviving the mining facilities in the canyons once again. There was an idea that with the perfection of scanning and probe technologies, we would be able to pick-up on veins not yet exploited. Instead... we found something far from a rich ore vein."

An image popped up of the Ruul Computer Complex.

"It was still operated by the agents of Lord Humbar. They seemed to be unaware of the change in status quo. We managed to contain the situation." Now the map was tracking the unknown sensor type that was speeding towards that Complex, by the calculations ran, it would reach it within the next five minutes.

"It seems that they managed to get out a signal after all."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Tai Fa"]

"I see." Ajira raised her comlink to her mouth again. "Captain, the inbound contact is hostile. Reorient and use the axial mount."

"In atmosphere, ma'am?"

"Unless you feel the aftermath trajectory will endanger this facility, then yes."

"Understood. Firing."

From just around the corner of the windowframe, outside her line of sight, a brilliant flash of blue-cored red cast ugly, frenetic shadows in the meeting room. A few heartbeats later, a fireball bloomed on a distant plain.

"Target neutralized."

"Thank you, Captain." Ajira tucked away her comm and turned back to Tai Fa. "The H9 patrol corvette mounts an axial long-range ion cannon. Every once in a while, it's a handy thing to have at one's disposal. I trust I haven't caused you any undue difficulties?"

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

Lord Fa tip-toed over towards where Cardei stood and settled himself next to her.

Simply content to watch as the big fireball raged outside, before tempering down and dissipating again. They didn't have a clue if it had been some kind of missile or maybe a small insertion team in a partially-stealthed shuttle. The latter seemed unlikely, but the former suggested that there was very sensitive information to be found in that installation, why otherwise go through those lengths?

"I will need a metric ton of them." The Thirriken retorted, jokingly, before turning his back to the light show. "No, in fact, you have helped me immensely."

"That facility did not have any anti-air, if it was a missile, many good people would have been dead now."

There was a bigger issue at hand though.

"Currently I am more worried where it came from though."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom