Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Factions, Rebellions, and "The Map Game"

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Family, we need to talk about Rebellions. I think they happen infrequent enough that a significant buff or change should come about to help out future factions. My only suggestion is this:

In the instance that a Major Faction is Recalled and their territory becomes open to Rebellions, successful Rebellions will net a minor faction the full benefit of going major, gaining a full 3 hexes excluding the Recalled Faction’s capital.

There are a couple of reasons behind this.

• It gives Major Factions even more incentive to stay active

• It gives minor factions even more incentive to BE active

• Rebellions happen infrequently enough and require a large amount of effort on the side of the minor faction that I think we should be prioritizing the Minor Faction’s life over that of the inactive Recalled Major.

• When the Rebel Alliance defeated the Empire at Endor it wasn’t just one system that followed suit to join them, multiple sectors rebelled, galvanized by the Rebel Alliance’s success. A similar sort of thing should happen here in the stagnation of our great Major Factions

• It puts more emphasis and agency in the hands of the minor faction owners/writers. The whole “You only matter if you’re a Major Faction” attitude is slowly hurting our site and we need to beef up other ways to write stories that affect the map and the site besides Dominions.
Now why only 3 hexes when its a Recalled Faction? Simply because it is the only time a minor faction has agency over the location of their start point on the map inside a major faction. Are they trapped inside the cloud of a Major faction? Of course. How do they get out? INVADE! INVADE INVADE INVADE! Until you're free of your oppressors.

"Well what if they don't want to focus on pvp/invasions/map game"

Then they shouldn't have started to begin with. No that doesn't mean I think only Major Factions matter, but unfortunately PvP IS a big part of being a major faction.

So let's get these future minors buffed and make these Majors work to keep their place on the map.

I dig this. Plenty of potential to not only have a dose of realism involved in recalled Major factions, rather than them simply "poofing" off the map, but a benefit/incentive for Minor factions to essentially replace the stagnant giants in the playground.

Take muh money.

​What both these guys said. I agree the over-emphasis on MF's is killing Chaos slowly. I can't count in my hands and feet how many people have left because of the way it is lately. So, its nice to see positive change that could promote more variety in our forum's world.

​When you're a Minor Faction, its hard to keep things active and keep people incentivised without the promise of 'MF is just around the corner!' as a constant pick-me-up for muse.

​This also just sounds like an alternative avenue to represent a more versatile way of telling the story of a Major Factions fall and coincidentally benefiting the Minor Factions on the map significantly.

​What both these guys said. I agree the over-emphasis on MF's is killing Chaos slowly. I can't count in my hands and feet how many people have left because of the way it is lately. So, its nice to see positive change that could promote more variety in our forum's world.

​When you're a Minor Faction, its hard to keep things active and keep people incentivised without the promise of 'MF is just around the corner!' as a constant pick-me-up for muse.

​This also just sounds like an alternative avenue to represent a more versatile way of telling the story of a Major Factions fall and coincidentally benefiting the Minor Factions on the map significantly.

[member="Gilamar Skirata"] It's not. There's other things you can progress towards that don't involve the map game. A lot, honestly. Like, for example, building a refugee camp or raiding a planet for slaves. It just depends on the faction and their creativity.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
[member="Zahori Denko"] But its not tangible like the map game or in the past like slapping that new rank on you/your company which was more what I meant.

But I agree that you can Progress but I don't think most people on here have the patience any longer to sit through two, three threads building their refugee camp or navy, or skills when now there's no need to nor a way to, for lack of a better term, show it off.

I guess a better example would be...

In Call of Duty you wouldn't call its Progression system "Progression" if anyone could slap the Prestige title on their account their first day. But that's a different topic that's been beaten to death on Chaos...Besides, the suggestion happened to be already planned update lol

[member="Gilamar Skirata"] Terrible flashbacks to old WoW rp when I hear the word progression. Eugh.

Anyway, there's plenty you could do to show all of that off. To use the examples you said, build a refugee camp? Make a location sub and start referencing it in threads you do. Some imperial faction is attacking a planet and hunting it's citizens down for a dominion? Doesn't even have to be a dominion. Get in on that thread(with consent of course cause consent is key) and start helping with evacuating some refugees to bring to your camp.

Building a navy? Well, get your naval folk together, or even your not naval folk if you want, and get attacked by some pirates or go on a little ride along with another willing faction's navy in a faction thread/dominion and learn a thing or two about strategy from them that you could implement in, let's say, a future invasion or rebellion.

Learn some new skills? Use them. Find some planet with an arena and have a tournament among your faction and, if you want, invite others outside the faction.

This stuff is simple, you just have to apply yourself. You don't need shinies to show off you what your faction has done. Just...show it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom