Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Faction Ship Limits

So, in light of a recent blurp of drama and reports, I'd like to make a simple request/suggestion for staff consideration.

Bump up the Minor Faction maximum PC piloted starship length to 1,600 meters.

There are two justifications here...

The first is that the maximum length for Major Factions increased by 1,000 meters during the last update, while the Minor Faction limit remained the same. And with the establishment of a system to create 5,000 meter long ships... 1,000 meters is no longer the 'halfway point'.

Secondly, even though Star Wars Chaos takes place in the distant, distant future when compared to the movies, cartoons, and the vast majority of canon... The Imperial Star Destroyer is one of the most iconic ships in all of Science Fiction. It's very much a shame that a writer wishing to enjoy the command of such an iconic piece of Star Wars is currently forced to join one of a handful of major factions, even in the relative seclusion of private and faction (or 'campaign' apparently) threads.

I could change it to even higher than that, but I'm curious, why do we care?

Ships are 9 times out of 10 background noise and anagolous collector items that have very little impact on competitive threads.

[member="Tefka"]

To play the devils advocate, why even bother limiting them if that's the case?

Because 1 times out of ten it does matter. As such, even though it's not that many cases, it will help in the long run.

I absolutely love this suggestion and if I may add to it...

When The Primeval was a minor faction we drummed up activity by engaging in hostile actions against major factions but I felt very limited with what types of starships we could use. It might be relatively minor issue, but I wouldn't see a problem with increasing it. It may very well make skirmishes between major and minor factions a bit more interesting without necessarily giving those factions too much edge.

That's just my take but I honestly would really like to see this happen :)

Why yes fleets are largely background noise but not always. I for one love fleet threats and think that it makes sense to one, increase the allowed ship size but also establish rules for minor factions that use to be major that may have unique ships from events or flagships and such that they may have laying around that they suddenly can't technically have. They obviously wouldn't be able to build any more... and I would think this would really only apply for unique ships. But I think they should be added in the rules as allowed.

Tefka said:
I could change it to even higher than that, but I'm curious, why do we care?

Ships are 9 times out of 10 background noise and anagolous collector items that have very little impact on competitive threads.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I 'care'...

tumblr_inline_mqedeqLiVI1qz4rgp.gif

So much as I noticed this thread. While trying to figure out what had gotten the writer so upset, I noticed the technicality that ISD's are too large for anyone outside a Major Faction to use. Initially, I had thought that his use of an ISD was what had gotten him reported and caused the drama. I've since been enlightened as to some of the other details involved there, but I'm still left wondering why a Minor Faction can't use Imperial Star Destroyers (competitive thread or not).

Yeah... most of the time it doesn't matter one way or another. Most of the time ships, shuttles, speeders, limo's, whatever... are just used as a status symbol and to give your character a grand entrance... or as the setting of a roleplay.

Even in threads where naval combat is taking place... the thread rarely lasts long enough or focuses enough attention on the naval battle for one side or the other to start taking casualties or for ship specifics to actually matter...

Heck... Even in Valien's Terminus thread and the recent thread with the Mandos and Primeval, both threads stalled before anyone could reach 'standard engagement ranges.'

So, yes... I get the "why do we care" attitude. On the whole, it doesn't matter one way or another what people are using... But there is nothing in the starship rules stating that they only apply to competitive threads...

and... I'm outa ideas.

Apparently people like the proposal though.

No, but your proposal did. ;)

I propose you put it to a community vote. Do it in the RP Discussion forum. Encourage discussion. More visibility, more activity will get you a Staff Vote - not likes under your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom