Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mind Over Matter

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"I'll be fine, just need to rest for a moment," Taeli said, placing her free hand on top of Corvus's and giving a tired smile. She was almost certain she had gotten all of it, it was hard for another presence to survive in a being when mnemotherapy was used on them.

"I got it all, sis, don't worry," Taeli said, using the Force to call a nutrient bar over to her. "Using the technique I did, it merges with the subject so I know I got all of it. I'm sorry it hurt you though, Andeddu was probably hoping the shadow would eventually gain enough strength to overshadow you. That's why it always tempted you when your darker emotions rose up, but shouldn't be a problem now. The only darkness left in you is the one that everyone has deep inside."

Corvus was relieved that the sliver of presence was gone — but her sister’s final words were chilling.

“You now I’ve resisted the Dark-side so far. And maybe that was in part because I’ve resisted the temptation to engage my emotions. But part of me — a big part of me wants to change that. I need to love and be loved. I don’t know why I know that, but I do. And maybe, just maybe this woman I am going to meet is the one? Or maybe she’s a bona-fide goddess and I’m foolish for suspecting anything will happen. Or perhaps she’s set me up for some trap.”

Corvus sighed audibly. “In truth I don’t care. I just need to know. I’ve spent a decade of my life wondering, and now I have a chance for closure or a perfect start. I’m frightened to be hurt — but I’m more scared of never knowing. I don’t even know if that makes sense, but it’s what I have to do. And maybe my emotions will be my undoing? Only time will tell I guess.”

Corvus sat up straighter. “But there was something I needed to ask. I need to understand if the Order could become financially independent. We own our buildings, they pre-date the Republic, but our running costs. Could we set up some sort of charitable institution to fund the Jedi? So they’re not beholden to Senate and the whims of the politicians?”

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"I know the feeling sis," Taeli said, smiling slightly as she recalled how they had first met. It had been her at the time that needed to feel loved and to love in return, just in slightly different way then ... the love of family, the love of accepting someone for who they are and were. If this Braith was who Corvus wanted to interact with, then Taeli was curious to eventually meet this goddess or whoever it was once Corvus found them.

"Independently funding the Order through a charity?" Taeli asked, surprised that Corvus was even considering such a thing. Not because it was an outlandish idea, but because it meant her sister was paying attention to finance and politics for once, instead of the mystical fields of the Force.

"Well, it's possible," Taeli continued. "A charity would mean everything is tax free, but you run the risk of not getting enough donations to keep things afloat. Considering the state of the galaxy, donations could be few and far between if the Republic and its worlds continue to suffer. People will focus on their own affairs first, then wonder how others are doing. That being said ... I could fund the Order, I do run a rather large company and several smaller ones. I've got nothing else to do with my money beyond invest and invent, it would be no problem to divert credits to the Order to keep it running."

Corvus was aware that a few years ago she had but one friend. No two. They spent a lot of time together. But one now travelled due to somewhat clandestine activities and the other? She preferred not to discuss or even think about it, it was too painful. In so many ways that she would no doubt never reveal.

But life had delivered two sisters and one was in danger of being ignored.

So she almost tackled her sister in a big hug. "Sometimes we take the ones we love for granted. So I'm sorry. We're both busy but it's no excuse. Once this situation has been resolved and Mustafar concluded, we should do something together. There must be some ruins somewhere that haven't been worn away by tourists?"

She tried a smile and failed. But the trying mattered. She loved her sister...well both of them...and one loved her back. And that would never change. Not ever. "And...um...don't try to tell me about the birds and the bees. Being the big sister only goes so far, right?" No she managed a genuine grin. But then a sigh.

"And I appreciate the offer for the Order's coffers. Perhaps we should do some...feasibility study or something. Yes?"

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"I was actually planning on a trip to go study with a few other Force sects once I got the time," Taeli admitted with a smile. "As for the finances for the Order, I wouldn't be too worried about feasibility. Unless the Order wants to crew Star Destroyers, then we might have some problems there. Other than that, I'll make sure the lights stay on, we have the best equipment we can get, and so on and so forth."

It really was the least she could do for her sister and the Order she loved, the sister that had saved her from the darkness. She just was regretful it had taken her this long to try and start repaying the debt she owed to Corvus.

Corvus finally sat back and allowed her sister some breathing space. "You have no idea how special you are. The space you fill and will continue to occupy, whatever happens with Braith."

She seemed genuinely reflective - a mood she was not commonly showing in public. "You are my sister and always will be. And people accept that. They don't question it or debate it. But if Braith is more to me than just a friend, I know it will be the subject of speculation. Yet there is nothing in the Code that differentiates between the love of a sister or a friend or a partner. As long as my decisions are driven by my role as a Jedi, there is no issue."

She sighed now. "But I suspect others will try to make it so. So I need to be strong - but also consistent. If you catch me allowing my feelings to affect my duties, you must tell me. OK?"

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"So you basically want me to slap sense into you if you're looking off dreamily into space about what you two got up to last night or something like that once you find this hidden love of your life," Taeli teased before she got serious again. "You've always been able to put the needs of the many above your own and I know you'll continue doing that sis, but don't forget that the greatest Grandmaster the Jedi has was married with a kid. I think you'll be just fine."

"I'm not all that special," Taeli said, waving it off. "I fell into the Sith and you pulled me out, I'm just the clever inventive and slightly better looking older sister who sometimes puts herself in situations that have poor consequences because I can't rein in that curiosity of mine sometimes. But ... you and Melori will always have special places in my heart. You're family, and ultimately ... family looks after one another. I think maybe Melori is learning that lesson now ... maybe."

Corvus nodded. Her sister had a way with words that meant she was to the point. There was no ambiguity.

“Slap away,” she said, a ghost of a smile crossing her lips. There was no telling what might happen if and when she met Braith. “And I appreciate the pep talk – I always do. Maybe it’s because we’re sisters, but you know me so well, and will keep me straight.”

“And you are special. Not just to me.” She didn’t say his name – but they both knew who she meant. “And there’s always Melori…”

Her eyes had a faraway look before she stood. “But I now have to be rude and get back to my research.” So she refilled her cup and smiled. “This will keep me going. And thanks…truly...thanks”

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"Research away, my dear sister," Taeli laughed, looking around the stacks of books and parchments and scrolls and knick knacks that filled her quarters. Was it like a traditional Jedi? Nope, she liked her books and things too much for that, but they could be useful. "Oh, and sis, feel free to borrow any of the stuff in my collection if you need it for research. Just make sure you put it back where it belongs when you're done, I'll write up a catalog for everything. Never know what nuggets you might find in these lovely tomes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom