Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midvinter Bound (Dair/Aerin)

[Location: En Route to Voss]
Dair had been through some trying times since he had last saw the planet Voss. He had met his girlfriends twin, that was pleasant, he had assisted Republic Forces at Telti. He still had issues with what happened at Telti, and since then he has kept at least some form of mental defense up at all times. He was still coming to get used to the constant effort, but felt that it was warranted. His view of the world was not as bright as it had been before, even after the visual assault had been fixed. He wasn't jaded, but he was far more guarded.

The transport set down and began dislodging passengers. Dair waited in his seat until everyone else was gone, then got up, took his backpack from the overhead and slipped it on. He wore civilian clothes, though Winter hung openly on his belt. He walked silently through the terminal and over to the aircar rental facility. He rented a much more rugged version of the vehicle he had taken into the mountains the first time.

Going off of memory, Dair drove through the capital city and off toward the mountains. He still had barely spoke since he arrived, only to the attendant and the rental operators. As he got closer to the cold, wintry mountains, his soul grew lighter. He felt that he would have to make a trip soon to a wintry place. That thought had brought him around to the promised trip to Midvinter. That had brought him out to Voss to see if Aerin was still willing to take him there.

After several hours of driving, Dair pulled up in front of the Valkyri dwelling that Aerin lived in when on Voss. He parked the vehicle and slipped out of it. He pulled out his backpack, then closed and locked his door. He walked up to the door and knocked, then waited for her to come to the door.

[member="Ærin Firebrand"]

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

Several weeks had passed since her first encounter with Dair. Mostly Aerin had kept to herself in her mountain home, the Silver Jedi present down in the valleys went about their business without her, which she preferred. But she was feeling homesick, as much as Voss is beautiful, full of varying landscapes to excite anyone to venture into, Aerin wanted the comforts of her home in Rildonmark. The Force is strange, she realised she probably would never understand it's will or working but something was calling her home. In her mind, she was already there.

Aerin sat in the main room of her home, her knife in hand as she stripped a long thin piece of green wood, she had already prepared several for arrows which sat on a rack to dry before she would split the wood and place the feathers and arrow heads. The process is long and the green wood would take weeks before they are truly ready. However, she had sensed Dair before she heard the vehicle approach. And there was no surprise to hear the knock on the door.

Placing her tools down, Aerin opened the door to find him. "Greeting Dair, it is good to see you". She knew why he was here, and she smiled knowing soon she would take him home. "Come in. I shall make you a brew".

Dair couldn't help but return her smile. Despite the rather violent upheavals of the intervening weeks since he had last seen Aerin, seeing her was good. It meant that he was going to be learning about his past, the lives of the people from which he hailed and quite hopefully cementing a friendship with the shield maiden that would last a long time. She seemed like a truly good sort, and Dair enjoyed the brews she offered.

"Thank you." He said as he stepped in and stomped the snow from his boots as he closed the door behind himself. "I hope I am not intruding, I realize I should have tried to contact you before I came but I wasn't entirely sure how to go about that. I don't know anyone else on Voss and I don't have the code for your communicator." He truly felt a little sheepish, and the red in his cheeks might be a bit more than just the cold and wind outside.

Dair sat down at the table and watched her as she went about making him a brew.

"I had hoped you would be willing to take me to Midvinter. A great many things have happened in the wider galaxy, and I am feeling the need to do something that isn't interstellar in scope. I want to learn more of my home."

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

She looked back at Dair as she finished brewing the tea. Walking over to him she placed it on a small table in front of him and she sat down. "Please warm up first. But tell me what has been happening in the galaxy that has kept you away so long?", Galactic politics is not something Aerin gets involved in but it is always good to know just in case Midvinter becomes threatened.

"You are always welcome to Voss here and with the Silver Jedi I am sure". She took a sip of her own brew and sat back. "I am a woman of my word, Dair. I will take you to Midvinter, in fact I had been wanting to go home recently, a little homesick I guess. You might find yourself that way when you get to know the place and your people". Midvinter in the blood will always pull you back, it is written on the skin. "I will pack soon and we can head to my ship, it is not far and nor is Midvinter", she smiled enjoying the idea of going home.

Dair smiled warmly and accepted the tea. He took a few sips, letting the warm seep into his chest blissfully.

"Battles between the One Sith and the Republic, meeting my ladies twin brother who is a Knight of the One Sith..." Dair shrugged and took another sip. "I assisted in bringing Antar into the Republic sphere through some tedious negotiations and bomb threats. I helped return some younglings to the academy from the clutches of trandoshan slavers on Zeltron. Zeltron itself was eye opening..." Dair blushed a bit. He was growing less innocent the more of the galaxy he saw, but he still maintained the pure center and would likely blush at the drop of a hat while he did.

"I am glad that you were thinking of returning home, my timing seems to be fortuitous. I am looking forward to learning of your...our home and people." He seemed a little timid at this prospect, not that he wasn't excited. He just had never thought that he would have a home or people. He had thought to always be the orphan boy without a home. Now, he was a Jedi, saber and all, and he was returning to where he was born.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

"The Republic have been at war with the Sith?, pity the Silver Jedi were not informed, I am sure they would have helped. But you have been busy in a very short time, it has not been that long since we met". Aerin stopped sipping her tea only to set it down near the fire. "A trip to Midvinter will do some good to remove any distractions. I am pleased your personal life is good", she smiled, after their long talk about this before and the images she had gathered from the mind intrusion, she was happy for him. "I don't know of this .. Zeltros? you must tell me of it".

"I thin I will take you to Tháinbroek firstly, that is the capital of Midvinter and the home to the king, I doubt we will get to see him, but we can visit the Grand Hall. It will be a good introduction to Midvinter and from there we can explore the country if you wish".

Her eyes fell on his travel bag which only reminded her she should pack shortly as soon as he had warmed up and drank his tea. Aerin is move than eager to find their way to her ship and onward to Midvinter.

Dair smiled a little uneasily, though he sipped his tea and the smile became more natural.

"Zeltros...it is akin to a planet wide party. The entire planet is populated with Zeltrons, one's that intentionally perpetuate the stereotype of Zeltrons at that. Any vice you can think of, I would imagine you could find it there if that was your wont. We were informed through trusted sources of a group of yonglings whose transport had been waylaid. The transport landed on Zeltros, I am assuming to effect repairs, and the younglings were abducted by Trandoshans. Myself and several other Jedi were dispatched to recover them. We were lucky that the trandoshans weren't trying to be subtle, on that planet we could have searched fr a very long time." He took another sip of his tea, then continued. "We found a pair of trandoshans who seemed to be hunting through the partiers on the planet for more to abduct, followed them back to a warehouse. One of the Jedi with me tricked them into 'abducting' her. The rest of us devised a plan, executed it with a few hiccups, and saved the children. They should be on Ossus by now, I should think."

He took another sip of tea, the cup half finished at this point and he was feeling quite comfortable now.

"I would enjoy visiting the..our capital, though I think the countryside would be more my speed. I trust you to give me a good education of our people..." He chuckled softly, then stopped and thought of a question. "Not necessarily on this trip, as I don't even know where it is, but when I find out where my family was from, may we visit there?"

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

"I am pleased to hear the children are safe now", she listened to him with interest as he spoke of all things that had passed since their last meeting. "There is still so much of the galaxy I need to learn about, I guess no one every truly sees or knows it all, but I am happy remaining close to my home". she added with a smile. Her mind returning to the want for packing but that would only take her five minutes to do, she only really needed her weapons.

"After we visit the capital we can go north, there is a place I once lived with is very nice I think you would like it there and it is only two days ride on horse, you would experience much on that journey, one thing will be the lack of technology which I hope Midvinter will remain that way". Aerin hated the idea of her beloved planet loosing it's 'innocence'.

"Find your family your heritage we can start that when we get there, it might take some time to locate them, you might have to revisit your memories again". She hopes that once Dair is on Midvinter those memories may become clearer.

She stood up and moved to her weapons, gathering her sword which she strapped above her waist, her bow and quiver over her shoulder and she was ready.

"Shall we leave?, lets take you home". she smiled broadly.

Dair smiled and drained the rest of the mug of tea. He paced it on the table as he stood, then swung his backpack up onto his back. The excitement shone through his face at the prospect of going to visit Midvinter. It seemed that some of what troubled him went away at the mere mention of the trip and the action of taking the first step.

He followed her out of her home and paused to let her lock it up.

"I don't know how far your ship is, should we take my rental to get there or shall we walk?" He asked. He hadn't seen a ship nearby, but he also hadn't gone hiking through the mountains, more is the pity.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

She pulled on her fur and fastened it around her waist. "My ship is not far we can walk if you are up for it?", she smiled. "There is a flat plateau on the other side of the ridge behind the house, that is where I keep my ship. It will not take long to climb up".

Aerin secured the door as they left. The ground cover is light with snow and the air crisp, the climb is not high but tricky all the same, it will take skill to scale it. Aerin found her footing on a large rock, and began her ascent, well practiced by now and she knows the more easier pathway upward. No gloves today, she would much prefer to feel the stone surface to gain a good grip and quickly she climbed until reaching the cutting. Squeezing through and pressing her back to the opposing surface Aerin made it to the top.

The view of Voss is extraordinary from up here, the city of Voss-ka in the distance and the towers of the Silver Jedi Temple raise up skyward. There is a haze in the air on the horizon, the signs of a warm day below in the valleys. She looked down to see how Dair was faring ..

While Dair wasn't a mountain climber by trade, or training, he was familiar enough with the concept. Ossus had a few mountains, and the Temple had climbing walls for training. Dair was tall and strong, so while he might not have picked the best hand and foot holds, and his feet may have slipped a few times, Dair was making a steady, if slow, way up the ridge. As opposed to Aerin's graceful, practiced ease with which she scaled the mountain, Dair was brute forcing it, much to his own chagrin. He reached for a hand hold, and found his feet gave out again below him. Only the sheer length and strength of his fingers allowed him to remain on the wall at that point. He pulled himself up a little bit by the one hand, reached up with the other and grasped another hand hold as his feet continued to scrape and scramble, looking for purchase.

Dair crested the top with Aerin's assistance, her strength far greater than it looked and his skill probably as lacking as it seemed. He would have made it up all the way on his own, but he was essentially only climbing with his hands and upper body, his feet had scrabbled for purchase far to much to have truly been of use.

Dair sat on the edge, wiping sweat away from his forehead as he viewed the expansive view from up here.

"Wow...I understand even more why you choose to live here as opposed to in the city." He remarked. He knew that if he wee to ever give himself the ability to find a place to call his own, it would be in a place like this, where chill mountain air, snow and earth all met.

After a few minutes, they stood up and made their way toward her ship. The plateau was beautiful as well, and Dair started getting ideas of his own for a home. Maybe he could call it a base of operations and let himself start building a home soon. He grinned at the thought and followed Aerin towards her ship.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

"It is a beautiful view, and much preferred to the city, but you have not seen anything yet", she smiled wondering what his reaction will be when they arrive to Midvinter. To her, this mountain on which she lives on Voss is but a hill.

Aerin grew more impatient to leave, the call of home much stronger now, and the force whispered to her of an event in the making. As she walked to her ship, Aerin's visions returned, a snarling image of a Frir, she with swords in hand and a man. Face unseen in the vision, but he wore a strange fur coat unlike she had ever seen on Midvinter, white and more modern to those of her countrymen and women. By the build of the man, it was not Dair but he was not one known to her, in time she would discover it to be [member="Kale Arkin"]. The vision left her as quickly as it arrived and Aerin shook it off. Time will reveal the true nature of the vision.

"It is a small ship, but room enough for comfort, there is a compartment for you to store your pack", she said as they entered. Aerin removed her fur coat and weapons to do the same before heading to the cockpit and began to warm the engines. As soon as Dair was settled and had joined her in the cockpit, Aerin lifted the Valkyria Thunderstrike Gunship off the ground and headed for atmosphere. No one could ever be truly comfortable when Aerin flies the skill only new to her and she still has much to learn.

Regardless, as soon as was able, Aerin jumped into hyperspace destination Midvinter. And a new life of her own.

Dair smiled, but remained mostly quiet as they boarded the vessel and took off. Dair strapped himself into the co pilots chair, but kept his hands off of the controls, knowing that some people were touchy about who touched what. He had been a little concerned before, as Aerin seemed to miss a step and pause for a moment. She recovered quicker than Dair could voice his concern and she didn't seem overly perturbed by the occurrence, so he shrugged it off for the moment.

Dair opened his mouth to say something, a grin was on his face so it may have been funny. Dair forgot it as soon as Aerin took off. He wasn't anything special as a pilot either, having never really done more than one or two training missions, but he was surprised at the jot of take off. Dair closed his mouth, as he forgot what he was going to say and focused on the front view port.

After a minute or two, Dair got the hang of the way Aerin was piloting. The force may or may not have helped him in this case, but he rode next to her in peace, no white knuckles or grimacing or screaming, if not entirely comfortable. Almost as soon as they broke through the atmosphere, he saw Aerin plot and jump them into hyper space. Once there, it was a pretty standard ride, there wasn't much one could do in hyper, maneuver wise.

"How long is the trip to Midvinter?"

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

"We shall reach Midvinter in twenty hours", she said sitting back relaxed as they now traveled in hyperspace. The swirling tunnel of blue never ceases to amaze Aerin, not too many Valkyri have the experience of travel let alone off world. "Beautiful isn't it? space".

------------------------------

The hours seemed to past quickly, travel is much better when one has company to pass the time in conversation, and Dair was good company. Soon the ship had signaled the impending arrival through a series of beeps, the five minute warning that the ship would exist hyperspace in orbit over Midvinter.

Aerin's ship jolted as did she in her seat, and before them through the viewing port is the white jewel of the planet, the mists from the snow swirling up into the air visible from space. Aerin pushed the ship forward into descent, a little too steeply which the ship soon rang out the warning and she corrected. An interesting flyer is Aerin Firebrand, she pilots by the sound of alarms. A silent ship is a happy ship.

As they descended, the view of the mountains became large in the window. "There!", she pointed toward the view.

panoramic-images-himalaya-mountains-nepal.jpg
Aerin skimmed the ship over the peaks, dangerously close enough to see the swirling mists seen from space. She piloted the ship along the full length of the range which seemed to go on endlessly, she is heading toward the center of the lands, to Tháinbroek.

The hours passed mainly with Dair asking questions about the history of their people. He wanted to soak up all of the knowledge he could, he didn't want to stick out more than he had to and he wanted very much to have a place to call home. He had Ossus, but that was the life of a Jedi, and while it was the life that he wanted, he knew that a person was made of more than one thing. He wanted a home that he could call his at those times when he needs to relax away from the Jedi. He never planned to go rogue or turn to the dark side, but he knew that as he grew, he would need a place of peace where he didn't have to worry.

When they came out of hyperspace, Dair instinctively buckled himself in and covertly wedged his feet against the bulkhead in front of him. When the ship angled down, he was ready and didn't shift overly much. He kept his face calm, no sense offending the pilot of a ship that was already blaring with alarms. His eyes, however, remained riveted to Midvinter. He watched as the snows swirled through the wind, how the mountain range came closer and closer, then closer still. He watched as the mountain range slid on beneath them for a seeming eternity, then the lands flatten out as they neared Tháinbroek.

The city/town itself was nothing magnificent or opulent, the average citizen of Midvinter only had a peripheral knowledge that there was a wider galaxy with millions of worlds. Dair thought it looked idyllic. He had seen massive architecture and Jedi temples and orbital warehouses, but the simple labor intensive homes and businesses of Tháinbroek looked better, to Dair's eyes. He waited as Aerin piloted them to where they would land, not even trying to keep the childish grin off his face.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]​
In a clearing, lined with tall pine, Aerin landed her ship with a thud. "Another happy landing", she said aloud more to herself. There are not starport or landing pads, one has to make do with what the environment provides. In this case however, the King had made a special clearing on the edge of the city for the purpose of landing ships. His son Grand Master [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] and his wife visit often and so require the space for their larger ship. Beyond the line of trees toward the main gates of the City is the battle field on which the war for the Throne played out, no one is allowed to walk the field unless with special permission or who had been there that terrible day.

As the main exist hissed open, the crisp cold air of Midvinter flooded the ship's rooms and Aerin stood up from the pilot's seat. "Welcome to Thainbroek", she said with a smile. "Come on lets go and see the city".

Grabbing her fur coat on the way out, she indicated to Dair to take the spare one, he would need it as winter is bitter this year. Jumping down from the ship her feet hit the harden snow with a crunch and she waited for Dair to do the same.

"I will take you through our capital and to the Stag's head. It is an Inn that I own here and use when I come to visit the city. You are most welcome to use it at your leisure in the future". Maybe one day he will have his own.

Aerin walked Dair through the line of trees to the edge of the battle field, before them in the distance stands the gates to Thainbroek.

2l8d8hx.jpg

Dair was mildly surprised to find that there was no landing pad or spaceport. This would be the first planet he would visit that lacked such amenities, though he was born here. He grabbed the spare fur coat, pulling it on and fastening it. It was a bit snug across his shoulders, but wouldn't inhibit his movements too much. He dropped nimbly down to the snow, though it crunched a bit more under him than it had for her.

Ærin Firebrand said:
"Welcome to Thainbroek", she said with a smile."Come on lets go and see the city"
"Lead the way." Dair said, then fell into step next to her. He followed her through the tree line and stopped as he looked up at the walls of Thainbroek. His jaw dropped open as distant memories attempted to come to the surface. He felt as if he had been here before, looking up at the walls. They seemed to have been bigger then, but if he was a kid when he had been here that would make sense. Aerin had gone a few more feet, then stopped to wait for him. He noticed only after the sounds of the area, and the sounds that weren't in the area, broke through his reverie. This was a practically unspoiled world, full of nature and pure Valkyri culture. He looked around and took a deep breath. A wide smile broke his face as he rejoined Aerin and they moved though the gates and into the capital city.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

Through the gates of Thainbroek they walked. Immediately the sight of stone roads fell upon their eyes and feet, it is the main road that would lead them up to the grand hall which sat high in the centre of the city, set above all other residencies and trading houses. The dirt streets that ran off the main road are filled with many Valkyri busy with the beginnings of their day, horses carrying all manner of fare to the market quaters toward the end of the city trundled behind their masters, carts full of winter food and furs and the constant tinkering of the forge rang out over the city.

As Aerin led Dair through the streets toward the market quarters and so to the Stag's Head, many city folk would stop to bow to the King's Hand as she passed, some would eye off the stranger at her side, noting his strange dress but would bow in return as he accompanied the shieldmaiden. Soon they made their way to the market, "Midvinter does not know of credits, here we use the barter system to trade and acquire what we need. It is why most Valkyri are farmers, brewers, bakers or hunters. Others tinkers or smiths, or any skill that is needed to survive".

The smell of the bakery had her stomach growl slightly and her eyes found the door of the Stag's Head, there inside she knew there would be good fare to eat and drink. And maybe .. more likely .. Dair will experience more of the culture that is his own.

"Come on .. lets go and find some food", she urged him onward. There would be much time for him to explore on this own if he wished too later, but not on an empty stomach. Aerin pushed open the door to the her Inn and immediately she and Dair are greeted with the warmth of the center fire and the smell of the roasting meat. She hesitated not and walked in, she owned the place and the bar keep greeted her with a hearty yell of cheer.

"Well met my friend. It is good to be home". She replied with equal cheer. "This is Dair Cotarin, a friend of ours, treat him with the respect you would give me".

Aerin moved to the fire and waited for Dair as he took in all the surroundings, before they would sup.

Dair tried his best to not gawk at everything. He had a large smile on his face and the worries of the greater galaxy seemed to vanish from him for the time being. He watched as people went about their business, they were efficient and happy. They were safe behind the combined curtains of no less than three nations of Jedi and their non force using allies, and none of them seemed to know it. Their blissful ignorance drew Dair in, he wished he had had the chance to grow up here, to learn a trade and not partake in the politics and wars of the galaxy. He did not regret where the Force had led him, but the longing was still there.

Ærin Firebrand said:
"Midvinter does not know of credits, here we use the barter system to trade and acquire what we need.It is why most Valkyri are farmers, brewers, bakers or hunters.Others tinkers or smiths, or any skill that is needed to survive".
"Well, I should learn a trade, if I want to be spending much time here." Dair replied with a grin on his face. He knew he had skills that could prove useful, aside from his combat abilities he was mildly knowledgable about the use of forges. To be true, he had a little bit of knowledge on a lot of subjects, thanks to the archives on Ossus and his former Master Corvus Raaf. He turned his head to look into a smithy and wonder at what his life would have been like when the scents of a nearby bakery caused his stomach to growl.

Ærin Firebrand said:
"Come on .. lets go and find some food"
"Lead on, my stomach won't let me not follow." He said with a laugh. She led him to an Inn and into it. The inside was warm and welcoming, the people inside smiling at Aerin with the trademarks of familiarity. Their faces were slightly more unsure of Dair. He was dressed strangely for the denizens of this planet, and he was a stranger. Likely, only the presence of Aerin kept them from being downright gruff at Dair.

Ærin Firebrand said:
"Well met my friend.It is good to be home".She replied with equal cheer."This is Dair Cotarin, a friend of ours, treat him with the respect you would give me".
Dair smiled and offered a nod.

"It is a pleasure to meet you. My friend here..." He motioned to Aerin "Said this would be a great place for a meal and a drink. What is on the menu for today?" He asked with a smile on his face. His height and frame marked him as either Valkyri or a large enough human so as to not make a difference. His friendly demeanor and the introduction of Aerin melted away any dissonance that his obviously foreign attire and unfamiliarity might have brewed.

[member="Dair Cotarin"]

Set in the middle of the Inn was the hearth, the flames of which licked up against a large piece of roasting meat, the fat of which dripped into the fire sizzling and sending a strong scent of the flesh in the air. The smell of which made Aerin's stomach want for it. "If my guess is correct I would say you have to options of roast meat or stew. There is always plenty of breads and cheese to go with it as well as a healthy tankard of mead", she smiled.

"Lets find a table", she gestured to Dair to make the choice. "Good Sire I will have the roast please and a pot of mead". She waited for Dair to place his order before moving down the Inn along the long tables.

The patrons that had looked up from their plates paid no more attention to the new comer, Aerin of course they knew well enough and gave her a nod of the head in greeting. Most of them clans man and women from Sabina or loyal followers of the now king who had fought along side him and her in the battle to take back the throne.

A relative peace has come to Midvinter under the King and so all subjects enjoyed the life of quiet, which to a Valkyri can get ... boring. A warrior people that need a war to occupy their minds, and so from time to time the likelyhood of a Inn fight erupts. But there is also the battle between the clans, this a part of their culture and runs in the blood like life itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom