Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MH-EW12 Decoy Probes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create fancy Ewar Tech for Mandal Hypernautics

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: MH-EW12 “Decoy Probes
Affiliation: Mandal Hypernautics, Mandalorian,
Modularity: Civilian and Military variants
Production: Mass Production
Material: Alusteel, Electronics,

Description:

The MH-EW12 Decoy Probes are a modern variant based on the designs of the ancient Corellian Trickster Decoy Probes. Like the original, MH-EW12 Decoy Probes are capable of broadcasting electromagnetic signatures as well as an holographic image of a full-sized ship. Where the original probes where primarily designed to mimic military, civilian, and criminal ships of Corvette size or smaller, the MH-EW12 Decoy Probes are capable of mimicking the signatures of any programmed ship upto 850 meters in length.

MH-EW12 Decoy Probes are large, one time use torpedo sized devices that are self propelled and operate on trajectories plotted by an onboard droid processor. The speed, maneuverability, electronic and electromagnetic transmissions, as well as randomized subspace communications broadcast by the probe are all pre-set to mimic a specific ship. The probe is too small to implement a gravitic modulator and are vulnerable to CGT sensors and other gravity based detection methods. Similarly, close range scans will reveal the probe for what it is.

When mimicking a ship smaller than a corvette, operation times of 5 minutes or greater have been observed. Corvette and Frigate sized mimicry typically results in about two minutes of operation time, while Cruiser and Heavy Cruiser sized mimicry can result in as little as one minute of operation.

Civilian grade probes are only programmed with a single ship signature to mimic.

Military grade probes can be programmed with numerous signatures. Typically, a probe is programmed with five different signatures to choose from before a combat operation is begun. However, host ships that include advanced droid processors on the bridge can remotely update the probes with different signatures to mimic during combat operations.

Classification: Missile System / Electronic Warfare
Size: Ship-Mounted
Ammunition Type: Probes
Ammunition Capacity per tube:
Corvette or smaller: 4 max
Frigate: 6 max
Cruiser: 10 max
1km - 2km: 14 max
2km+: 20 max
Effective Range: Variable
Value: 4 Missile Launchers

[member="Captain Larraq"]

I'm going to request some changes, if you would please.

• Change - Vulnerability to close range scans.
  • Reduce - Overall to Frigate or Corvette size. We're talking from 200-400 meters.
  • Change - Timers and one time use. These things burn out quickly, if you'd like a reference, look at the Book on Tramp Freighters.

Make these changes, tag me so I can review and we'll move on.

Thanks!

[member="Aaralyn Rekali"]

Not sure if you caught it or not, but the design includes a weakness to Crystal Gravfield Traps and other gravity detecting sensor systems. Add that to the general roleplay potential to get through the system at close ranges by 'noticing' a pattern to the movements of the probe, seeing your shots go clear through the target with no effect, or decoding/decrypting the audio transmissions of the probe and determining that they make little to no sense... I'm just curious if an added vulnerability to 'general close range scans' is really needed.

I'm not familiar with the 'Book on Tramp Freighters'. If you have any specific/relevant knowledge on the matter, I'd love to hear it. But these probes are intended to be an improvement of on the original model that is hundreds/thousands of years more advanced in technology and intended for use on military ships... While I'm unsure on the physical size of the original probes, the version I created here was intended to be 2-3 times the physical size of the original variant and capable of providing support for military operations. These are not the "Dump a probe and run away in our freighter" devices that the original were. Their intended use is for bluffs, decoys, and traps in military operations by making a fleet appear to be larger than it is or to make the fleet appear to me at a different location than it actually is. Reducing these probes to 'frigates and corvettes only' destroys the original intent of this design.

The 'one time use' was implied in the submission. Or... I thought is was. To be fair though, I didn't think I would have to mention that the probe can't be used again after first being fired.... nor did I think that anyone could confuse the fact...

I'm more than willing to work with you on reducing the operational window of the probes or increasing the weapon value of the individual launchers, but what you're suggesting above would nerf this submission to the point that... there would be no point submitting it. It just seems to me that you're asking me to make something that is identical to the original canon technology. However, the general guideline has always been that canon technology can be used without individual submissions for them. And... this isn't intended to fill the same role as the original technology. It's like weaponizing a remote controlled airplane. Just because the civilian variant can only operate for a few dozen meters, doesn't mean that the military variant can't operate for hundreds of miles and carry missiles.

After discussing this with Staff, I'm going to have to deny this submission.

I gave you a generous limit with the Frigate size.

Take this to the 2nd chance thread if you would like to appeal.

Ok, now looking this over myself I can see a few reasons for why it seemed a little strong. Where the original allowed corvette sized, around 200 meters at most, yours projects images up to 1000. It also gives off 5 different signatures to try and disguise itself when scanned from a distance. Taking into account the numbers you also put possible onboard a ship (4-20) I've made some decisions on the matter.

Absolute changes
  • Can you bump down the image size from 1000 meters max to around 600 which opens up large frigates and small cruisers (still plenty bigger than the original)
  • Can you cut the 10 minutes to 8 minutes for corvettes
  • Instead of 4-20 can you make it 2-12 (maybe 15)

With Dev Thread
  • I'd like it to be at least 10 posts, but 20 would make me more comfortable (No issues likely with anyone if you definitely put in the work)
  • Explain the process of creating this weapon as it is from the original Corellian Trickster
Without Dev Thread
  • Limit the number of decoys a ship can have from 4-20 to 1-4
  • Reduce operation time to 1 minute for max size or reduce max projection size to 400 meters

Also since I like it so much for the starship template, and because it might help here, I'd like you to add a short bulleted strengths and weaknesses where you can mention the 1 time use per decoy since while you believe it is implied I can understand where the average member would miss it.

Strengths:
  • Can bluff enemies into thinking you have more ships
  • Great to cover an escape as a diversion or scare off attackers
  • (Anything else you may wish to add)
Weaknesses:
  • Short operation time
  • 1 time use per decoy
  • Vulnerable to focused scans and close range factors (can see the shots going through it for example)

I think the reason to explain why you received the earlier decision despite your clarification your submission had ample time to be more advanced from the original is that even though its thousands of years later, was that everyone was hit by the plague hard so that's why our ships for example aren't always that much more powerful than some canon examples.

Do these and I think I can approve it without a problem. As it is though allowing a ship to create a fleet of 20 Cruisers all around 1000 meters would be simply overwhelmingly powerful I think. I'm much more comfortable shrinking it to frigates and small cruisers with a dev thread.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

I was editing this as you posted your review. I specified a weakness to gravity based sensors and close range scans, cut the duration by 60%, specified that each is a one time use warhead, and doubled the weapon value.

*goes to read Swift's post*

[member="Camellia Swift"]

Can I drop it down to 850 instead? That leaves me the option of mimicing some of the smaller carriers, and the Mandalorians have... around 5-6 ship classes in the 600-850 range. I'd really like to be able to cover those.

Also, would you proffer it if I listed specific ammo capacities per ship classification? Like, 4 max per launcher tube on Corvettes, 8 max on Frigates, 16 max on cruisers, 20 max on ships over 1km long?

(also. The times are now 5 minutes, 2 minutes, and 1 minute.)

Well if you'd like to increase the size to 850, then I'd highly recommend putting the work into a dev thread. Though I did note note that you shrunk the times down for the decoys use so if you can give me 10 good posts, or a little more than that, then I'd feel comfortable with that size. Does that sound good?

And I like that classification per ship length. That seems more reasonable. However, I'd like there to be 20 on ships upwards of 2000 meters. I'd rather you did 6 for frigates, 10 for cruisers, 12-14 for ships between 1000-2000 meters to balance that out more.

I'm happy with the other edits so if you do the classification for the missile launchers allowed, and crank out the dev thread to increase the size then I'm very willing to approve this for secondary approval.

I'd like to see them determine the need for the device, a bit about how difficult or costly it is to pack that tech into a small device, and a brief testing.

Sound good?

Camellia Swift said:

Just checking how you're going on this or if you need it archived for a bit to come back to.
Crap! I completely forgot.

I have too many projects right now. XD

Go ahead and archive it. I forgot that you had asked for a dev thread. I'll add it to the pile and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom