Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location : Point Nadir | Operation : Spaceport Construction | [member="Aver Brand"]

By now operations on the space station had gotten fully underway. Bare metal skeleton had already taken shape around a lazy comet, one set for mining operations. Or at least it was communicated to Salacia Consolidated as. Four metal beams had been drilled into the surface of the meteor to stabilize operations while crews would be working. Due to the instructions via Miss Var Nabba there would be work happening over three shifts, essentially making the work non-stop.

Skeleton in place much of the dangerous work would begin. Salvaged metal from old spaceports, cleaned and repainted to perfection. The metal skeleton would be skinned in place as the meteor moved. Adding to the fun, Makai had found a way to weasel himself onto the second shift. Envirosuit on, the teenager was attached to the skeleton via a tether. Despite the tether it was dangerous work, a false move and one could find themselves floating away. Salvage ships circling the construction site could only do so much to catch a stray crew member.

Makai tended not to think of it however. He had spent years in training since a young age, although this was one of his first times that he would be working in the relative open. Durasteel came from the main salvage vessel in charge, guided by tractor beam. It would be set in place by hand before firmly being riveted and bonded down. Makai was on the heavy lifting part of the crew, realizing it was the position of the lowest of crew. Just because he was the owners son didn't make him the supervisor automatically, especially on large jobs such as this.

Especially since the rumor going around was that his Father had arrived shortly ago. Something about the owner of the station wanting to see the progress.

click click chk.

A blue flame danced in blue eyes. Red lips pursed around a red cigarra.

Moments later, a violet plume of heady smoke crawled out of her mouth, climbing towards the ceiling in lazy shapes. She lingered on the morphing patterns a few beats longer before glancing down to regard the time.

Two more minutes. Better early than late, Miss Var Nabba liked to say. Miss Var Nabba, really, liked to say whatever suited Aver Brand at the moment. She had all the personality of a well-tailored SIN suit.

Ran just as crimson underneath, too.

On the other side of the glass, durasteel beams sailed through pitch-black of space, making the distant stars wink back at her. The merc didn’t care for the view that had enamored so many over the years – if anything, the vast expanse only made her skin crawl.

Still, business was business. Even after twenty years, Aver still liked getting her hands dirty on the frontline of expansion. Used to be it was with blood and skin; these days, it was smoke stains and whiskey just as often.

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

[member="Aver Brand"]

Sailing through the black he had gotten a good look at the structure. Mr.Zej, his director of salvage, had been on the job site since day one. Judah was never particularly worried about his right hand in command to not complete a job to the standards set forth by Salacia. Rarely visited the man during a construction job, unless it was for a visit from an outside party. Today was such a day.

If he had to be perfectly honest with himself, Judah did not expect Miss Var Nabba to be the type to visit construction sites. The woman had struck him as one who preferred her updates via distance so long as everything was on schedule. Was she expecting to put on an envirosuit and take a tour of a skeleton?

Having just arrived himself, Judah decided to wait at the hangar for Miss Var Nabba. No need to call in several employees to go through some drawn out pomp and circumstance, no 'Mr.Dashiell will see you now'. Not in an environment such as this.

Here, so very close to home, the civilized layer of Miss Var Nabba threatened to wear awful thin, awful fast. Aver smoothed the lapels of her suit (armored), checked for the weight of her sidearm (concealed, shoulder holster), and ashed the cigarra between her fingers.

Tangled in a cloud of smoke, she emerged from the elevator precisely on the chime, eager to escape the looping tune spilling from its speakers.

Her blue eyes found the man in the crowd, though only for his height – compared to their first meeting on Sullust, he was downright underdressed. Fit right in, though.

In a few long strides, the merc closed the distance, meandering through the milling workers with ease that betrayed a familiarity with the urban current of sentient mass.

“Started out doing this boots on the ground, didn’t you?” she asked in place of a greeting, offering a casual hand. Always paid to maintain at least a semblance of cordiality in these sorts of things.

And really, being nice when she wanted something had never been a problem for Aver Brand.

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

[member="Aver Brand"]

Judah passed the time on waiting for Miss Var Nabba by answering questions or offerring 'hellos' to the various 'Mr.Dashiells' that drifted near him. He was certain there was a group of employees waiting to ask questions or to get a stamp of approval of something or another but they remained at the respectful fringes thus far. Eyes caught sight of Miss Var Nabba at the last second as the woman was nearly at his side.

Hastily he met her outstretched hand in greeting with a laugh.

"Quite literally, right after my stint in the Republic Navy." Hand clasped around hers briefly, motioning to the hangar around them. "From a tiny little vessel to...well, this."

"How was your trip? What do you think of the structure so far? Not exactly impressive, I know."

A single brow climbed her forehead, lips quirked in amusement. “Really. How long ago did you serve?”

It was highly possible that they had shared the same battlefield once, he manning a ship of the Republic fleet – and Vrag doing her damnedest to bring it down in flames. Now wouldn’t that make for fine wartime reminiscing?

Her relaxed air persisted as she glanced out the wide viewport. Much of the skeletal construction was already in place, circular rings beginning to take shape around the comet sailing languid through the black of space.

“I need it to work, Mr. Dashiell. If it does that well, then it’ll be impressive indeed. And my trip was fine, thank you. Not a very long one, though, all things considered.” Aver offered him a cryptic smile. “Yourself?”

[member="Aver Brand"]

"Before the Clockwork Rebellion. Joined as an idiot farm kid, there's not much of a way for a backwater kid to see the 'verse unless they sign up for military service. Fighter pilot, although I would probably crash instantly now. Can't say I was an all-star student."

Eyes took in the skeleton as Miss Var Nabba mentioned she needed the station to work. It looked a little rough, especially with the support beams against the meteor. Salacia typically worked without any supports but the way the rock was moving it was making things difficult. Once the skeleton was skinned, basic life support and propulsion systems added the beams would be removed.

"I have full confidence it will work." A pause. "As for my trip, not terrible. Gives me a chance to collect my wayward son. Two birds one stone in this case."

"I assume you would like a tour?"

Her grin blossomed into a full-on smile. Appreciation, there in the crinkles of her icy eyes. If you squinted hard enough.

“Ha. Know that feel,” she said with a dip of her head, puffing out another plume of blue. “Where I was born, they didn’t even give us birth certificates.” No need to mention they were looking at the place right then, hidden as it was inside the comet.

“Your… son?” The audible pause in her question was infused with a strange surprise and overtones of mild disgust. Aver and children went together about as well toluene and nitrate – volatile, violent, and likely to explode with one wrong move.

“I, yes. I would.” Though getting a tour of her own empire might prove to be amusing yet.

“Would you like a cigarra?” the merc offered after a beat, producing another slim roll from the inside pocket of her suit. Its wrapper was a vivid red in color, bound by a thin band about halfway along the length of the robusto. There was no text, no initials – just a small horned skull, white on black.

[member="Aver Brand"]

There was a burst of laughter as Miss Var Nabba was mildly shocked he had a son. There was something else there too, Judah couldn't tell what. Probably a dislike of sorts of children, although Makai could probably considered more man than jam-handed boy at this point.

"Don't be so surprised.Amazed that I could keep a woman long enough to procreate? Some days I'm amazed as well." Another chuckle as he shook his head. "Don't worry, Makai is nearly grown. I doubt you'll have to worry about a small, hyperactive child running around your feet anytime soon."

"Tour it is then."

Judah motioned for Miss Var Nabba to follow him. They would be moving out of the hangar space and towards the other end of the vessel where much of the scrap and salvage for the project were being held.

"Uh...sure, why not. Its been awhile."

“Not really, no,” the woman replied as they began to walk. “And procreation proper can only take one night, if you do it right.” Not that she had any experience with that. She’d have gotten her tubes tied decades ago, but pesky firrerreo regeneration kept getting in the way.

“He works on your projects? A supervisor, I take it?” It’s how it usually went in family companies. Easy job, grooming for a takeover when the dad got bored and just wanted to lounge in his mansion, sipping cocktails and catching an even tan.

With a minute smile, Aver handed him the cigarra along with the lighterhttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/111761-nadir-p-series-lighters/. Came with a built-in cutter, too – a handy contraption, indeed. It was her preferred blend, fairly strong on its own, but counterbalanced neatly by spicy overtones and a faint hint of burnt caramel.

All about the small pleasures in life.

[member="Aver Brand"]

One night? It took a great deal of effort for Judah not to reply back 'what's the fun in that?' but they were in a semi-professional setting. This was a tour of their progress and the entire process that went into a station such as the one being built. Moving through the command vessel, he reached to take the cigarra and the fancy lighter.

"I'm not sure I entrust a fifteen year old in charge of projects where lives are in danger." Cigarra was cut, lit. Soon blue smoke was curling from the end as he handed the device back. "There are times he shadows the director or leads a very small crew. For the most part I've told him if he wants to take over he'll need to prove himself by starting at the bottom."

"So far he's been a hard worker."

Attention turned back to the cigarra in his hand.

"Very nice, thank you. Custom blend? Something you distribute throughout your company?"

Aver would’ve snorted. Miss Var Nabba restrained herself. Barely.

“Fifteen? That’s about the time they start becoming bearable,” she chuckled, smoke rolling out out between red lips. She’d seen [member="Blackthorne"] go through it – though, of course, the child-rearing methods employed by Qui would probably constitute child abuse in the civilized galaxy. Somehow, she doubted [member="Judah Dashiell"] had opted for the ‘throw them off a cliff when they whine’ approach.

And don’t even get her started on [member="Onley Xiangu"]. Poor boy was lucky he was alive with those parents.

“Very good,” she nodded, appreciation seeping into her tone again. “Merit’s the way to go, else you wind up runnin’ a business into the ground. He’s got a head for it, I take it?”

She laughed, shaking her head. “Mm, not currently, no. I don’t have to tell you what reporters would do if they saw a pharmaceutical company selling cigarras. The headlines practically write themselves.”

[member="Aver Brand"]

"He's been a good kid, I can't complain. Always wanted a bunch of youngins running around but it didn't work out. Maybe that colors my perception slightly."

Smoke curled up from his cigar as Miss Var Nabba inquired about his son and sense for business. Judah wasn't sure if Makai actually wanted to take over. He wasn't pushing in either direction but it would make any father proud to see his son follow in his footsteps.

"He's young but a decent worker, fairly bright. A touch naive but in time I can see him taking over. He's been watching me for years, learning from the best in the company. I'd want him to get a lot of of his system first, explore and do what he wants first. However, I couldn't think of anyone better."

Judah chuckled.

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time companies make things that contradict one another." There was a pause. "How opposed to you are envirosuits? Or is that too much of a tour?"

Enveloped in blue smoke, the pair made way down corridors and past workers. Every now and then, someone recognized [member="Judah Dashiell"], dipping their head in greeting. Curious. Seems like the man mingled with his people often. Good.

“Eh, he’s young. Needs to feth up a few times. Get fethed too, I reckon.” Aver grinned, eyeing the shorter man. “Outer rim’s a nice place to rack up that experience real quick.”

They rounded one last corner, came to a stop before an airlock. The merc near-guffawed this time – had to chomp down on her cigarra and puff out a smoke.

“Trust me, I’ll be fine. Suit up?”

[member="Aver Brand"]

"True, Makai will have to learn lessons the hard way in some cases. Outer Rim is great, as is the Unknown Region. Different type of life out here and I would argue a better one. However one can say I am biased.Born and raised out here."

At the airlock Judah did not take Miss Var Nabba to be one to do a space walk. Especially for something such as looking at metal floating in space. From their vantage point they could see progress made on the outer layer of durasteel. Depressing a button, Judah called a shuttle to pick them up.

Envirosuits were lined against the walls here, waiting to be chosen in various shapes and sizes. Judah looked for a moment before picking up his size. Cigar went out, perhaps he would retrieve it later. Bit hard to stick one's legs in such a suit and continue to puff away.

"Need help?"

With a chuckle, Aver put out her cigarra as well. Nearly finished anyway. “I’m good, thanks,” the woman replied after an amused pause, picking an envirosuit off the hanger.

Usually she’d take her jacket off at least, but that’d raise some questions she wasn’t looking to answer just yet. Questions like ‘Miss Var Nabba, why are you wearing a gun and two knives under that suit?’, followed by (probably) ‘And where can I buy that sweet-ass shoulder rig?’

While undoubtedly entertaining, the answers to those questions could potentially endanger the construction of the station, and the merc wasn’t too hot on that. So she kept the jacket, buttoned up, and stuffed herself into the envirosuit.

“Where are we going?”

[member="Aver Brand"]

"To the station of course."

Judah suspected he hadn't made that very clear although he thought the envirosuits would convey they would be leaving the comforts of the 'home' vessel. Hand moved to check his own seals as the shuttle moved closer, slowing down to dock.

A hiss of the airlock.

"We'll be able to tour most of the parts that have durasteel laid down. Even some that don't if you're so inclined. It will give some idea of the space and depth of the station. According to reports we're on schedule so there's a plus. Added in some droids to help speed the process along."

“I could do with some space adventure,” Aver replied easily enough. It was a lie. The merc had never liked space, and that hadn’t improved over the years. She suffered it for travel, but not much else.

A necessarily evil.

Her smile stayed in place as she pulled the rest of the suit on. “That’s good to hear,” she replied a moment later as she kicked the internal comlink into gear. The airlock slid open, and weight disappeared from beneath her feet.

Ugh.

“Lead the way, Mr. Dashiell.”

The sooner they got to the station, the better.

[member="Aver Brand"]

"Short trip so you'll have to apologies for the lack of thrills on the shuttle."

Bare metal and small straps hanging down to grab were it. Judah reached up and took hold, staying near the exit doors. They were the only ones aboard the small shuttle. Once they were safely aboard there was a lurch, the shuttle embarking on their route.

"Nothing much to see yet but I feel like you'll appreciate seeing the work up close. Most won't come this far. Shows you've got some guts. Its hard enough to get employees to do this. Takes a special type, of course the pay reflects the danger. Haven't lost anyone yet. Came close a few times though."

Shuttle lurched once again, throwing them forward. A chime and the doors opened once again. Magnetic boots kicked in, keeping them both firmly on the ground.

“What’re the dangers they face?” With the magboots it was hard to imagine how one you’d get ejected into space. Of course, nothing was foolproof, but still…

Aver stepped out into the endless expanse of the void. Save from the white pinholes dotting the pitch black it was all just karkin’ empty. From here on to nowhere. Her lips curled in distaste.

“And your son’s floating somewhere out here?” The merc canted her head. “Got some balls.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom