Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Mess Is Mine

The pair enjoyed being in each other's arms quietly after that. There wasn't anything more to be said. Sure, Myra might inquire about Makai's internships, what they were like, and what he enjoyed about them, but at least this time, it wouldn't be filled with the sting of jealousy and bitterness that she hadn't been there to experience with him.

It wasn't until Myra's stomach gave a loud and embarrassing gurgle that the motion to finish their caf and head to the kitchen was agreed upon. Needing a quick brush of her teeth and to wash up, Myra excused herself, heading back upstairs. Meanwhile, Makai took the time to set in motion the first of many meals he had carefully planned with Thirty-Seven based on the recommendations regarding Myra's favorite meals.

Unsurprisingly, most of them mirrored Makai's or had some nostalgic reason for it, like standard Tatooine dishes of game. A few, however, were new, like her penchant for Wookiee grilled meats, Chandrillian cheese boards, and sweet cocktail drinks or wine.

The kitchen, adorned in dark woods and polished black slate, provided a sophisticated yet inviting ambiance. Outside, one could barely make out the cedar and pine trees through the massive glass steel windows after the sun set. The elegant decor contrasted with Makai's unexpected culinary prowess, creating a scene that felt both refined and comfortably familiar.

Here, Makai orchestrated a dinner set to impress, filling the air with tantalizing aromas. The cedar plank Dac salmon sizzled gently in the oven, releasing a fragrant melody of smoky woodiness tinged with a hint of citrus. The risotto, a creamy masterpiece, emanated notes of rich New Alderaan Parmesan, intermingled with the comforting scent of simmering broth.

The roasted veggies danced in the oven's heat, emitting a chorus of caramelized sweetness, their edges crisping to perfection. The air hummed with the amalgamation of roasted bell peppers, caramelized onions, and the earthy aroma of freshly roasted garlic. By the time Myra came back down to join him, her mouth was watering. Each scent harmonized so seamlessly that it was hard to hold back before plating.

Myra observed from the edge of the countertop, her eyes wide with a mixture of surprise and admiration, watching Makai move about the kitchen with a practiced grace. His hands, deft and confident, navigated between pots and pans, his calloused hands formed by hard work out in the field belying a culinary prowess that stunned the heiress. Thinking back, Myra realized most of their time had been spent on the farm, with Danger and Alric cooking or having meals made. When Judah and Makai lived with them during her illness, she'd been on a strict diet that she never actually saw or tasted just how good of a cook either Dashiell could be.

"Where did you learn to cook like this?" she asked, her voice laced with incredulity, yet her amusement evident as she attempted to sneak a roasted veggie from the hot sheet pan Makai had set to cool on top of an iron trivet.

She gave a soft "Oo! Ooo! Hot!" exclamation before trying to blow on it to cool it down. She tilted her head back, opening her mouth to plop the sweet, roasted pepper into her mouth.

“Mmm…” she licked her lips, giving an upward perk of her brows to confirm it was delicious.

“That’s really good!” She praised him, flashing him a wide smile, promptly licking her fingers to clean them up after. It was evident that she was feeling better now.

Makai was sticking true to his own promise to himself : he wouldn’t bring up moving in together again but instead would quietly show and highlight some of the benefits.

Dinner was one of those highlights. Not that Makai cooked like this all the time, far from it. Most nights he was too tired to do anything but pick up something from Yum Bunnies To-Go! or make a sandwich and pass out on the couch. Yet he had the skills to impress and for her, he would happily come home and push through exhaustion to make her happy.

Ellie returned, looking happier than he had seen her in awhile. Their talk was solidifying what he had intended to do ; give them a solid foundation to build off, like pillars being sunk into ocean bedrock.

A weight was off both of their shoulders he felt. Knowing where they stood together was reassuring, to be aware they weren’t parting again. Makai was looking forward to the future, knowing it would be with her. It was like picking up a book and starting where one left off, familiarity coupled with the thrill of new.

Bright smile greeted her as she returned. Ellie. His girl. His stubborn, dramatic, pain-in-the-ass, loving, caring, devoted girl.

After all the hurt, he didn't deserve her. Yet here she was, drawing him back in her orbit.

“You act surprised.”

The meal was a surprisingly easy one, the hardest part was constantly stirring the risotto and ensuring the rice was cooked properly before they ate.

“I’m not sure if you’re aware, but I was raised by a single father determined to do the work himself. That extended to cooking, which became a hobby of his. We both know there is no free ride with my father, so I was enlisted to help at a young age. A very handy skill I didn’t appreciate until I got older. It’s nice not to have to rely on only being able to cook scrambled eggs and toast when I get home.”

Makai laughed as she picked off the vegetable off the piping hot tray, then more surprise that it was not only edible but delicious.

“Wow, again with the surprise. I’m not sure if I should be concerned of what you think of me or flattered.”

Plates were set up as he started to put food down.

“Mind grabbing us some wine? I figure you’re better at that pairing than myself. I typically go to this type of work and reach for a lager, don’t think it quite blends the way wine does.”

Makai smiled to himself, feeling the two of them fall back into old rhythms of working together, of days when they would sit close together over a piece of cake or pastry and talk into the early morning.

Makai had glanced over with a mischievous glint in his eyes, catching her in the act of grabbing another piece. Myra made a face at him, scrunching her nose up and sticking her tongue out at him before stuffing the roasted potato wedge in her mouth. It was perfectly seasoned. Okay, one could get used to this. She squashed the wandering jealous thought of who else he might have made dinner for.

It didn’t matter anyway. Makai was here, cooking this meal for both of them. That’s what was important.

Myra watched in awe as Makai plated the meal, the colors and aromas of the dishes an artistic masterpiece. The salmon, delicate and perfectly cooked, rested on the cedar plank, exuding a smoky allure that paired beautifully with the creamy risotto and the vibrant medley of roasted vegetables. Hearing him explain that it was due to Judah didn’t surprise her. A fond smile grew thinking of the elder Dashiell then. Months back, he had asked her if she would take a final chance to meet with Makai to find out if no stone was left unturned; to find out for sure if it was time to move on. Part of her wondered if the whole situation at Maramere had been concocted at his urging. She’ll have to ask him for dinner or lunch to find out.

It also made her mull about that Togruta Jedi Master. He’d confessed that he’d never invited or seen anyone else since his divorce, much less since that one opportunity had closed its door. Had he taken her advice to take a chance and also find love that was worthy of him? Myra hoped so. She wanted Judah to be happy, to no longer look at his ring finger as if it held a phantom ache for what he lost and longed for. The Arceneau heiress could only hope the Jedi knew just what sort of caliber of man Judah Dashiell was. The last thing Myra wanted was for a Jedi floozy to break his heart after being along for so long.

Is that so? Then just how many other hidden talents do you have?” Myra quipped, tilting her head to the side in curiosity as she caught Makai’s telltale smirk revealing a hint of mystery. Before he could answer, she held her hand up to ask him to pause.

“You know what, hold that thought. I’ll go find some wine.” She shook her head at him, giving him a playful roll of her eyes. Although, in all seriousness, she added, “If you like drinking it with a lager, that’s not an issue either. Do we have any?” Myra wanted him to enjoy his meal how he liked it, not force himself to do something different because of her.

-

“Brat.”

Sticking her tongue out at him? What were they, twelve? Still it was hard to stifle the grin that sprung forth. She was happy, he could feel it. Makai hadn't seen such an attitude in awhile, the playfulness about her. Maybe not even before they parted ways had he seen her so carefree.

Is that so? Then just how many other hidden talents do you have?

Eyes lit up with mischief, ready to pounce on the words with a rather crude remark. Yet Ellie must have sensed his answer and stopped him, quickly telling him to wait. She knew him all too well and was learning his new facets just as easily as knowing his old habits.

“I don't know, I had Thirty-Seven do most of the work and arrangements for me since I was busy. I assure you most of the choices lean towards your tastes.”

Plates were set down on the table across from one another at the long table.

“No, get the wine. I never really had the chance to try, I always thought it was for guys trying to get a girl naked….well… seems fitting now.”

Makai grinned at her, a teasing light in his eyes as he grabbed some wine glasses as she searched the fridge.

“Plus if I'm with the Trade Heiress I should probably learn a few things. Like I said, can't embarrass you by being a backwater urchin forever.”

“I don't know, I had Thirty-Seven do most of the —

"Hey! I resemble that remark!" Myra joked with a broad grin and then gave a shrug. It was true. So maybe she was a bit of a brat. Okay, a big brat. With Alric and Danger letting her have whatever she wanted, it was to be expected. It was one aspect of her personality she had to tone down and hide away after Makai left; the desire to act up and be silly had to be shelved away for such things as adulting.

Although in short order, Makai managed to promptly make Myra blush anew with his commentary regarding wine and thinking that it was typically used to get a girl naked -- and how fitting it seemed now.

Pink from the tip of her ears to that peek-a-boo decolletage from that button-up pj blouse, Myra opened her mouth only to close it. Oh, he got me good. The mirth in his eyes and that crooked grin, wearing that hoodie. Normally, she'd be able to provide a quick comeback as in the past, but it was clear Makai had more than tripled achievement levels on the witticism marker.

However, those pewter gray eyes softened at the mention of him needing to learn a few things just because they were together, or more aptly because he was dating the Trade Heiress. Leaving the slight giddy, joyful, feeling of hearing him say that to the side, Myra focused on two critical things.

"First, you could never embarrass me, Makai," Myra told him, an almost word-for-word echo of what she'd confessed to the younger Dashiell in the shower at Palanhi. Her brow furrowed briefly as a slight tinge of remembrance filled her, only to shake it off.

"So don't worry about figuring out what wine pairs with what. Just drink what you like." She assured him, closing the fridge door. She was grateful the chill cooled the heat off her face from his earlier comment. The Chablis would work, but she also wanted a red option, one with low tannins. Perhaps if she headed over to the butler's pantry, there may be a wine rack storing the reds. She saw it off to the side beside the enormous walk-in pantry.

"But I'll see what I can find that might compliment all you made, maybe try a few," she acquiesced, bare feet stopping just beside a column leading off towards the butler's pantry. One hand came to rest against the cool, black iron and dark wood surface, the young woman nervously playing with the knots on the wood with the pads of her fingers.

Myra might not be one for clever, witty remarks Makai had become comfortable saying off a surge of confidence earned at university. She did, however, deal with propositions and negotiations and confirm her intentions and desires plainly. Had to learn that skill set in preparation for taking over Arceneau Trade.

"And second...' A pause, then a nervous flutter at her throat, her hand coming up to tuck wayward strands that fell loose from her braid behind her ear. Well, might as well say it, she told herself, knowing full well she’d mean it. Makai’s teasing eyes turned inquisitive at her curious delay, perking a brow. He set the wine glasses down at the table.

With Myra's cheeks burning red, staring straight at Makai, she continued in a rush, "You don't need the wine to get me naked… it's always an open invitation."

Now Makai had his answer to why there had been no objection to the blouse’s removal back on Palanhi.

Okay, I said it! She didn't wait to see his expression or hear his reply, dashing off like some bashful forest nymph to fetch the wine, a startling contrast to the titillating proposition she'd just given. Blood pounded in her ears at her boldness, but she was ecstatically excited that she finally could tell him that.

Point Myra.

“You don't need the wine to get me naked… it's always an open invitation."

Makai stood,mouth agape, as she uttered those words then scampered off like a frightened wild animal approached on a hiking trail. A type of encounter where one saw the creature but it was gone before anything could register fully.

Wait, did she say what I thought she said? Getting her naked was an open invitation? As in, anytime
would be fine?

“....did I hear that correctly?”

He was still frozen in place, hand gripping the back of the dining chair. Mouth had finally closed as he processed the implications of her words.

“After dinner?!” Makai called towards the large pantry, trying to play it off as a joke but also to see what her reaction would be.

Hold on, does she want to have sex now? Am I ready to go all the way? I bet El-Three told her about PharmaTech.Or is this a sign she’s thinking about it? An invitation to move on to more touching?

Her words explained why she had been so comfortable being topless in front of him on Palanhi. Ellie blushed at the smallest thing, so it had been surprising when she had sat up in bed, pert breasts on full display with no abashed expression. Not that he was complaining, the sight of Ellie topless in his bed had already been fantasy material for long nights apart.

He stood behind her chair, possibilities and implications that Ellie wanted to get naked with him running through his mind and what it meant.

“You get lost in there?”

It took a good few seconds before Myra heard the joking, curious but also uncertain, “After dinner?”

By then, the heiress had pressed herself against a cupboard in the butler's pantry, holding her hands over her mouth and utterly blushing furiously. Her heart was jackhammering in her chest, thundering in her ears. Her entire face burned as if it were on fire.

Oh my goodness! I said it! I told him! Wait, did he just suggest getting me naked after dinner? No, it sounded like a joke. Wait, is he joking? Or is he serious? I picked this pajama set specifically to make him think of the white blouse. Isn’t it obvious?

A pause.

No, it’s Makai. It wouldn’t be obvious. That’s why I had to tell him it’s an open invitation. Otherwise, he’ll never try again. Or so Myra thought, not realizing Makai’s enthusiastic desire to repeat the scenario again.

It was as thrilling as it was terrifying. Of course, her proposition was not intended to be taken as if she was ready to go all the way. It was more to let Makai know she was happy— no, looking forward for him to want to take her clothes off. To see the look in his eyes and watch how he reacted to seeing her exposed to his gaze alone, just like back in Palanhi, when Myra drank in his darkening ice blue eyes in desire and appreciation as they swept over her bare curves before touching her in ways she’d only ever fantasized before.

Her breath hitched, held, and then released. The thought alone in remembrance sent a rush of goose bumps over her skin. Makai had been right; Myra had been unable to forget that morning in Makai’s bed after leaving. Like adding gas to the flame, it only served to fuel her imagination.

“You get lost in there?” Makai called out.

Yeah…I mean, no! Not lost,” she quickly babbled out, drawing her hands from her face and pushing herself forward. She spun in place, hands sweeping her hair back and tucking loose strands behind her ears. It wasn’t necessary as much as a nervous tick. “Just looking at options for us,”

Ah, wine rack! She took the three steps to pull two bottles. She didn’t even bother to read the description once she saw it was a Pinot Noir and a Merlot.

Carefully, she padded her way back, bashfully so, holding a wine bottle in each hand. Dressed as she was with the jersey grey pajama set, holding the bottles up to shoulder level with a slight rock of her hands, she appeared to be the picture of a young woman ready for a night of drinking — save for the bright red blush radiating from her face and chest.

As for after dinner… umm, sure?” While the question made it seem uncertain, there was no denying a more visible account of how all these thoughts affected her. That jersey fabric could only cut the chill so much, and Myra never slept with a bra.

If you want to…” she bit her lower lip, walking to the table to set the bottles down.

… so I picked two reds, but a white was in the fridge. We can just try everything until we find what you like…”

As she made her way back, Makai watched her, smiling like a village idiot. The blush that had broken out from chest to the tips of her ears. The bashful expression playing on her features. The uncertainty in her tone as she answered his question about stripping down after dinner. The clear excitement her silver eyes held.

Don't change Ellie Arceneau. You're absolutely perfect.

Makai was waiting patiently behind her chair to help her get seated. Despite what a certain blonde may think, he did have manners. As she placed the wine bottles on the table and started to explain his choices, Makai drew near her.
Hand ran along her hip, pulling the heiress close to him. Lips met hers in a kiss, his other free hand coming between them and undoing the top button on her pajama top. Already cut low, it would reveal more skin to distract him during dinner but not enough to be inappropriate. He was saving that for tonight.

Lips broke away from hers after a moment, grin plastered all over his face. Glacier eyes met argentine ones, soft with affection and love for the woman pulled close.

“I am absolutely, hopelessly, and madly in love with you.”

He was serious for a moment before a teasing grin returned to his features. Makai gently squeezed her hip and eyes wandered towards the wine.

“Ellie Arceneau are you trying to ply me with wine in order to see naked? I would expect more from a girl of your caliber.”

Makai was trying not to laugh as he continued, as he did want her to take his next words as serious ones despite the playful tone.

“I'll happily strip down for you, anytime, no wine needed. Now if you want a lap dance, wine may have to be involved.”

Another teasing grin.

“Don't deny it, I've seen the way you ogle me Ellie.”

“I am absolutely, hopelessly, and madly in love with you.”

Dazed and floating on the high Makai’s caf-tasting kiss gave her, Myra simply tilted her head back and stared up at the Dashiell with half-hooded eyes full of unbridled affection. No need for her to tell him she loved him. It was there, evident for Makai to see, permeating from every single part of her essence. Really it was a dream come true to hear him say he loved her so much. That grin shot right through her, scrambling her insides, and giving her a solid yank. Never mind the rush in her blood at the briefest sensation of Makai’s fingers tugging at her blouse, the kiss of cooler air a much-needed respite against the blushing hot skin over her decollete. Or how his fingers felt as they dug into the flesh of her hip. It only grew worse with what he jokingly said next. Ply him with wine to see him naked?!!

Myra’s mouth fell open as if to protest that wasn’t what she meant; she intended to serve him a wine flight to see what he’d like. Never mind the mental picture that immediately came up of the breadth of his bare chest, the flexing of muscles, and that dark trail that dipped—

“I'll happily strip down for you anytime, no wine needed...”

Oh, oh! Strip down? Like strip or strip?! Did he even realize what he said? Did that mean he’d give me a show, or would he be willing to take off his shirt on request? Or would he do more than that? Fully naked?

Myra didn’t know why the prospect of seeing Makai naked excited her as well as made her nervous. For goodness sake, Makai never had any qualms about taking off his clothes in front of her to go swimming or changing clothes in the past. Never mind being honest regarding her questions about his body. It had been Myra who had been too self-conscious about her lack of feminine attributes. Sure, she’d eventually join Makai, but it was more because of her incessant need to be next to him, even if it appeared as if he’d been indifferent to her all that time.

“Now, if you want a lap dance, wine may have to be involved. “

Now, it was Myra’s turn to give a double take. Only this time, Makai was privy to all the comical expressions that swept over her face. Grey eyes wide, mouth agape at the possibilities and implications, and then the rapid blinking of her surprise at the mention of wine being a condition for a lap dance. She had to remind herself to close her mouth before she further embarrassed herself.

Wait, that's a possibility? A lap dance? Wait, where did he even learn how to— The sudden image of Makai swaying his hips in front of her in those short shorts and--

“Don't deny it, I've seen the way you ogle me, Ellie.”

The cat caught the cream-eating grin that followed and said Makai wasn’t mocking Myra— he was sending her a signal. A dare, even.

See, Myra’s heart, worn on her sleeve and not so carefully concealed all these years, had turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to reason. It craved what it wanted, and for years, it wanted one thing against all better judgment: Makai Dashiell.

Where everyone had seen a scared, mute little girl in her youth, a spitfire ready to flash in her teens or the anxiety, intellect, and potential in adulthood— weren’t what Makai saw. Makai saw her. He sensed her mushy center. He seemed to know somehow every bit of her light and dark, the moodiest, kindest, terrified, loving, pain-in-the-ass brat she could be, but he still told her he was hopelessly in love with her. That despite the teasing light in his eyes, he stared at her lips like he wanted another taste of them. Like he might devour her, given the chance.

No, wait, that's me. That wasn’t Makai giving that type of stare. It was Myra. Sure, her face was blushing so hard it felt as if steam would shoot out her ears, but her honest appreciation of Makai was not something she could hold back easily. It was a pity that it took him almost a decade to realize it.

Not that Myra was going to let him forget it now. Thankfully, imaginative Myra, who really wasn’t ready to fully dive into the extent of her fantasy escapades, reined herself in for now. However, Makai, with that grin, had issued a dare. And Myra had resolved to take it.

Oh…okay,” swallowing hard, Myra, with monumental effort, forced herself to look at the bottles of wine, away from the proximity of Makai’s face, those tempting lips, and the desire to call his bluff and tell him to strip.

… I guess that’s uhh… another hidden talent? Lap dancing?” Goodness, her hands couldn’t help but play with the fabric of his hoodie at his back as if tempted to slip under the hem again.

Didn’t realize that was a Salacia on-the-job training skill.” She bit her lip, nervous, excited energy running through her.

“And no… not trying to ply you with alcohol. I wanted to let you try a bit of everything to see if there was one you’d end up liking. Like a wine flight.” Think of other thoughts. Wine tasting. Dinner. Then after dinner…

Let me go get the white and a bottle opener,” her voice slightly squeaked as bashful nervousness swept through her. The rocking of her weight from one foot to the next did exactly what Makai intended, swaying her blouse to reveal the curve of a breast.

“Can you get us glasses of water?”

"Didn’t realize that was a Salacia on-the-job training skill.”

Makai laughed at her quip, the sharpness of her wit regarding his potential strip tease. He loved seeing this funny, witty side to her, certain it was reserved only for himself.

Lips brushed her temple once again after she nervously explained there was a wine flight involved and if he could grab some water for both of them. Funny to bashful, he was delighting in seeing all the sides of Ellie Arceneau. This he could get used to, the domesticity, the intoxicating comfort her presence provided, the ability to be their true selves.

“Yes dear.”

Teasing grin flashed at her as he left to go grab two glasses of water. Azure gaze kept drifting back to her as they parted, taking in the heiress. Deep vee combined with that first button missing was teasing him, flashing alabaster skin in a promise of more later on in the evening. Her pajamas sticking to all the right curves, her hand tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she worked, rummaging through kitchen drawers.

He found himself staring more at her than focusing on the task at hand, filling the crystal he found using the dispenser in the fridge.

“Weird question for you.”

Makai figured it was time to broach a subject that had weighed on his mind.He had wanted to ask her during the Expo but things had gotten in the way, unexpected company and all. Now at least he would get a real answer instead of one diplomatically chosen due to being in public.

The half-Galan worked his way back to the table, talking as he did so.

“What do you think of the entire Dad-Zuly situation. Weird right? I,uh…I mean, I guess I get it…just seems…out of the blue. No pun intended.”

With a bottle of chilled Chablis in one hand and a wine opener in the next, Myra slowed to a stop beside Makai. The heat on her cheek was fading, but the tips of her ears were still a delightful red.

The topic of Judah, however, did the trick in distracting her from the more imaginative thoughts of just what Makai giving a lap dance would look like. Titillating fantasies shoved to the side, Myra’s brow pursed in deep thought.

Ever since the Expo, Myra had been wondering just what the situation was between the Togruta Jedi Master and Judah. There hadn’t been enough time to ask questions, some that Myra would likely ask Judah during their next scheduled luncheon. It worried her as much as it made her hopeful for the old Salvager.

“... I am not sure.” Myra began, flipping out the tiny curved knife at the end of the bottle opener. She then carefully cut the wax seals out of all three bottles, voicing her thoughts aloud to Makai as she did so.

“Your pa has never brought anyone to a party, expo, or get-together if it wasn’t you, me, or my ma.” That is to say, the Dashiells and Arceneau-Kuhns were so commonly seen together it was honestly expected to see any combination of them together at events. Another partner or romantic entanglement for Judah? No never. Even the holo-tabloids in the past had mentioned the lack of visibility of the businessman’s ex-wife, having seen no hair or scale of her.

“It does seem out of left field,” Myra bit her lower lip, remembering how Judah had said he had settled himself into thinking he would be alone the rest of his life, but was also a romantic as well. She removed the wax and then tucked the blade back in. Starting from the white, she began to uncork the bottles.

“But he’s never been in a relationship with anyone since I’ve known him. Reckon being alone for that long is bound to make anyone lonely…” t
here was a note of resonating empathy in Myra’s voice at that.

“So the need to fill that void can be mighty hard to fight. Maybe he wanted to try and start over again.” Myra truly was hoping for the best outcome.

Curiosity colored Myra’s silver eyes. Cocking her hip to the right, she turned at the waist to glance up at Makai. The fabric of her blouse parted and the full upper swell of her left breast gave Makai a brief hello.

“Do you know much about her? Zuly that is?”

Makai had set the water glasses down near each of their plates before lining up the empty wine glasses for the flight. It would be nice to switch between the flavors during the meal as they ate, as Ellie explained the flavor profiles to him, because Makai already knew he would have questions.

He thought back to his and Azula’s first encounter when the two went out into the Pacanth Reach. It was shortly before his father had summoned him to Maramere. Shortly before Ellie.

"My name really is Azula," she said. It hadn't been, but it was now. It wasn't a lie. She didn't want to start on the wrong foot.

"I know your father because I was trying to steal something that had accidentally come into his possession," Azula continued on her truthful journey.

"I speak between fourteen and seventeen languages, depending on what you call a dialect. I'm not going to get under your feet on this one, just let me know what's going on as we go.”

“Right before I came to Maramere we went on a survey assignment together. She told me that her name is really Azula, which I never doubted, I merely asked to tell her a few things about herself.”

Makai’s brows furrowed as he thought back on the exchange now that he had a bit of time separating the situation.

“Told me she knew Dad because she tried to steal something that ‘accidentally’ came into his possession. I haven’t asked what that item was, too shocked when we saw them at the Expo to think of it really.”

He didn’t like the situation on several levels. The Azula was a thief one he gave him pause but it didn’t mean she was necessarily an untrustworthy person.

Ellie had mentioned the second reason why without even knowing his thoughts ; perhaps his father wanted to start over. It was a hard pillow to swallow to think his father could potentially have more children, to move on with a second family.

Where would it leave him?

Makai had plans for his future, marriage and starting a family of his own, yet his father would remain that, his father. The potential of being replaced and possibly forgotten or pushed to the side were bringing up feelings he thought would never been in the same breath as his father.

“I hope if she leaves she will at least tell him to his face.”

Hand ran nervously through his hair, pushing thoughts of being potentially cast aside out of his mind. It was an irrational thought to have for a twenty-something year old man.

“I’m sure it will end up fine.”

As Myra listened to Makai’s story, she set down the last uncorked bottle and studied him. Myra had spent more than half her life observing every word, action, tick, and gesture Makai Dashiell gave. If she had a double major in Business Administration and Xenolinguistics, then she had her doctorate in all things Makai and what he’s feeling.

Granted, she was catching up on her continuing education courses, and there had been a few updates and expansions to cover, but the foundation was still there.

Like picking up on Makai’s nervous habit of raking his hand through his hair when something was bothering or frustrating him, add what he knew about Azula and that rather pessimistic outlook that it wouldn’t work out for his father to begin with.

Then again, if the Jedi Master came to steal an item and emphasize that her name really is Azula, it made it seem like she was trying to convince rather than just state. Then that called to question if anything else she said was true. But Judah wouldn’t be with her if she wasn’t who she claimed she was.

Now Myra was worried.

Well, your Pa has a good sense and judgment of character.” It had to be to become this successful. “I’d imagine he wouldn’t just tread carelessly with just anyone.”

Unfortunately, Myra, with her tunnel focus on Makai, had no clue regarding physical needs and the mighty great desire to scratch an itch. In her mind, she made do with fantasies, but then again, one can’t miss what one has never experienced. It had been Makai she'd missed something terrible, not a roll on the sheets.

But… are you okay?” She came up and brought her hand up to cup his cheek. Turning him to her, grey eyes full of concern swept over his features, picking up on his furrowed brow and the look in his eyes that said there was more there than he let on.

Sometimes a man starts thinking with his little head rather than the one on top of his neck.”

From the Expo, it looked as if it was something more than just sex. Looks could be deceiving though, and while Makai had zero experience in terms of actual sex, he had done enough with Ellie to know the high and rush an encounter could give. Perhaps Azula was merely a friends-with-benefits type situation and using the cover as dating was easier. It made sense.

There were a great deal of unknowns.

Warm hand touched his cheek as he thought, dragging his gaze down to Ellie.Those grey eyes were searching, piercing through him to find the root cause of his concerns.

“Yeah, it's just an odd situation that’s bringing up a lot of feelings I never expected to have. Like the thought of being replaced, as a son, you know? I know my Dad can’t be alone forever and we will have our own family in the future but…Oh god what if our kids end up with an aunt only five years older than them. Awkward.”

Makai didn’t want to dwell on the sexual life of his father for too long. Or the prospect of half-siblings. Or a step-mother.

“Who knows? I’m working myself up for no reason, we don’t even know the entire story….Although this does explain why I saw him at PharmaTech when I went recently…”

[ Sir, I am only concerned about your future and the future of Mistress Arceneau. You may see it out of bounds but I must look out for your well being and the well being of Mistress Arceneau. ]

Makai was sitting in a plush chair in the waiting room of the PharmaTech Fertility and Genetics Clinic at Fondor , having chosen the site for its discretion and reputation. Inside looked like many others in his position ; men and women in business attire, pregnant housewives of politicians, holostars. Those whose personal and private business was often made public one way or another.

He personally didn’t care about what was thought if he was spotted walking out of the clinic. Makai did care about Ellie though, the implications of gossip if he was seen walking out of such a place. They were two adults who could have sex if they wanted, but the half-Galan was aware it was deeper than that, what it implied.

Thirty-Seven had already crossed boundaries enough by asking the doctor several probing, personal medical questions all centered around himself.

[ Aren’t you nervous Sir? ]

“I already got the shot Thirty-Seven, just waiting to leave the sample. There’s nothing to be worried about, that's a daily occurrence.”

[ Not your sample, Sir. Your future ability to father children with Mistress Arceneau. ]

“Not at all. I have a large extended family. I swear a Dashiell man can get a woman pregnant with just a look.”

[ We should have had them test your sperm before Sir, so we would know for sure. As it is Doctor Weles was quite unhelpful in answering all of my questions.]

“I’m fairly certain my sperm is fine.”

[ Fairly certain will not cut it. It will be imperative you produce an heir with Miss Arceneau within two years of marriage to secure the Arceneau-Dashiell line. The stability of both companies will depend on this. I predict you will be required to sire three point six heirs, Sir. ]

“Three-point-six heirs? How am I to have a point sixth of a child?”

Mister Dashiell, you can come back.

“Stay here.” Makai stood up, walking towards the back only to be greeted by another Dashiell : Judah.

Both men looked shocked to see one another. Suit jackets were adjusted, a long silence between one another. Judah was first to break it.

“Things are going well with Myra, I assume?”

Makai flushed a little.

‘Why are you so concerned with fertility dad?!”

Mister…Judah Dashiell, we will see you first. Mister Makai Dashiell, your thirty minutes are not up yet.

Makai stood, mouth agape as he and his father parted ways. What was
going on here?

Just like Myra had surmised, Makai’s unsettled thoughts were more complicated than what lay at surface level. Still waters run deep, and when Makai was this contemplative, something was sure to be bugging him as if he had a burr in his boot.

As it was, there was a lot to unpack there. Azula. Judah. Men thinking with little heads rather than the ones on their necks? That one confounded her, but the confession about the fear of being replaced and his pa having another family, about their own family in the future, the crazy thought of their kids being only five years younger than a potential—

Wait what? Myra gave a couple of blinks. Did I hear that correctly?

It took another second to realize she had. Makai had already come to the decision that they would have to start a family and have kids one day. Her face flamed again, but it came with that happy, giddy feeling one felt at getting a great surprise one didn’t expect.

See, Myra didn’t realize it, but her hesitations and reservations regarding whether Makai intended to stay, were getting slowly whittled away with the sure precision of Makai’s reinforcement of what living together would be. A few deliberate cuts took shape of what their home life together would be like, while fine grain sanding smoothed out the rough edges to reinforce that it would not just be their home, but their family's home as well. Thinking about their future. Not just as a pair, but for what children they might be blessed with.

Not that Myra was itching to have kids now - although they did smell awfully sweet with their milk and baby powder smell — no wait stop it.

Myra drew her hand away from Makai’s cheek and instead gave him a kiss there instead.

We'll figure it out, Makai. Families are never straightforward, but they're still family. Your pa cares about you, and I'm sure he'd want to ensure you understand. You could never be replaced."

A smile and then a nod towards the table,” Let’s eat. Ain’t no sense in eating cold food. Plus I want to see just how good your cooking really is.” She joked, trying to cheer him up with humor.

With a quick cafune ran her fingers through his silky hair to show her support and affection, Myra finally took the extended chair and sat.

Of course, that’s when it hit her.

Swiveling her dark head up at him, confusion and curiosity in her stormy grey eyes, Myra asked with an inquisitive arch of one brow.

Wait, why were you at Pharmatech?” and did he just say he saw his pa there too?

"Yeah, just odd thoughts pushing through. The entire situation is weird… you're right though, we can figure it out when the time comes.”

Makai felt like an ocean being warmed by the sun with her gentle touch and kiss on the cheek. It was a feeling nice to bask in her affection, soak it in, absorb the warmth it provided. Several times now he had been vulnerable with her and Ellie had met him exactly where he needed, drawing him into her fold to provide comfort. It only further made him realize he should have told her so much more, much sooner back when they were teenagers.

“My cooking is nowhere as great as Dad's. I just hope it's good enough for tonight.”

Once she was seated, Makai was about to move until her next question hit. Confusion was coloring her eyes. He really thought their protocol droid would have crossed a boundary and told her.

“I went to the one on Fondor to get my birth control stim.”

Makai didn't take into account the various feelings Ellie would have around such a notion. For him, it was a cut and dry process, a necessity in order to keep them on track for the future.
He moved to sit across from her, taking his seat and immediately swirling one of the wines she had poured, curious to try it.

“I was just going off the shelf but I wanted to make sure it worked. Dashiells have a ton of kids, it's like an invasive vine. Mom is one of six. Odds aren't on my side in this venture.”

Makai took a sip of wine. Not bad. He could see
the appeal of it.

“We don't need Junior making their appearance while we're not even married. Or have our footing in the company. Or with each other.”

“Thirty-Seven is concerned I won't be able to provide you with an heir. Extremely so. Surprised the droid didn't tell you yet…he had… a lot of questions. About me to the doctor. I never should have taken him.”

A pause to pick up his fork.

“Oh, right, not to worry. They made me uh, produce a sample and everything is working. Talk about a weight off.”

The salmon was flaky, perfectly cooked, and smelled divine. Too bad that the initial bite came to a stop and then hovered over her mouth when Makai answered that he went to Fondor for his birth control stim.

Grey eyes locked onto Makai’s casual, no-nonsense expression, watching him as he dug into his meal with the gusto of a man with a healthy appetite enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Which begged the question about Makai’s other healthy appetites.

“W-what?” fork came down to rest on her plate, food forgotten for the moment. Once again, Myra felt her face blister with the heat that swept over her skin in embarrassment, awareness, and a mountain of questions zooming through her mind.

Oh my gosh! Did his question of ‘after dinner’ mean that he wanted to go all the way? Is that how he took her open invitation?

Anxiety, uncertainty, excitement, and a bit of fear went churning through her stomach. That… wasn’t quite what she intended when she told him it was an open invitation. With the bad experience that happened with Blythe a few months back still fresh in her mind, Myra couldn’t help but be tense. It wasn’t at Makai or the thought that he’d force her to do anything she didn’t want. It was just the unconscious drift the mind went through, being a victim of an all too persistent ass.

Stop. Makai would never do that, Myra told herself. She trusted him implicitly.

But then came the other series of questions of a different flavor. Not quite as happy fuzzy as the thought of Makai already planning on building a family earlier. The thought of kids and babies cute. The thought of the preventative act that would ensure there weren’t any… Well, it was a little bit more daunting. Likely because getting a birth control stim meant that came with the forethought of having sex. Sex with Makai.

Going all the way with Makai.

Cue her very active imagination fed by their most recent heavy petting session back on Palanhi and overlaid with the vivid remembrance of a pitch-black closet back at the Farm; Makai’s ragged breathing, strangled choked moans, the slow hiss of a low intelligible groan of pleasure, then the punctuated harsh breaths that followed.

Myra was unable to help the rub and shift on her chair. The memory evoked the same reaction it had consistently given her since that afternoon in her closet, locked in with Makai. Myra had to force herself to brush those thoughts to the side. Otherwise, she'd have to excuse herself before she made a worse embarrassment of herself.

"So… wait.” glancing down at her salmon, she picked up her fork and brought the salmon to her mouth. She chewed it, the flavor and delicious umami coating her tongue. Pause, then a wag of her fork,”Okay, this is really good.”

Did she compliment because she meant it or because she needed another second to think? Likely both, her ears were burning red.

“A birth control stim?” Myra asked after she swallowed, returning her attention to him by lifting her head back up.

“So…you want to have sex… after dinner?” there was uncertainty in her voice, unsure what that meant by him getting it or expectations. Sure, it was obvious that it was to prevent an accidental pregnancy, but what did that mean for them? What were Makai’s expectations?

“With me? Tonight? Or… umm…nerves got the better of her and she took her wine glass to take a big sip. Never mind the bits about Thirty-Seven and trying to make sure Makai would not always shoot blanks.

“... when… exactly?”

To be honest, as much as the thought thrilled her, Myra wasn’t sure if she was ready to go all the way. Sure, Makai was chipping away at her reservations to move in with him, but that didn’t mean she was mentally or emotionally ready to cross that bridge.

Her ma said having sex with someone meant forever giving away a piece of your heart and soul, and a girl never forgets the first. As Myra was already firmly in deep with her heart and mind, crossing into a place of deep intimacy like that– giving herself to him wholly– meant that if he ever left, if he ever walked away again, Makai would forever take with him chunks of her heart and soul that she could never, ever get back.

Those memories would feel like weapons, slicing away at her soul, killing her slowly, a death by a thousand cuts.

Makai watched her, confused, as Ellie had a myriad of reactions to his words. The oddest being when she asked if he wanted to have sex after dinner. Mind replayed the evening, the teasing, the admission he could invite her to get naked anytime.

Where did I say sex in there? Oh. Does she think the naked thing means sex? We've been naked before and it didn’t lead to going all the way.

“Stop joking around Ellie, who else would I have sex with?”

Was this a test? To see how interested he was? To set up some timeline? Hey El-Three, Thirty-Seven please schedule some alone time with Ellie so we can lose our virginity.

“I don’t know, do you want a timeline? I can’t say when or where or….wait, do you want me to schedule it on our calendar or something? That’s not how I pictured it Ellie…I was thinking something more romantic than ‘let’s do it on the twenty-third’...”

Brow arced, now he was confused. Makai wasn’t sure he was ready for the next step. They seemed to be doing well at their own pace, if they had a lifetime together what was the point in hurrying?

“I….uh…I can’t give you a solid date or time, sorry.”

Stop joking? The soft brown slashes of her brows pinched forward in confusion then her eyes widened in alarm and she gave a visual double take.

Who else?” She shook her head from side to side. “Oh… no that isn’t what I—“ her fingers curled around her wineglass stem in nervous anxiety, the words catching in her throat as she stammered in bemused embarrassment.

That— that wasn’t what I meant,” at least she hoped that it was evident she didn’t want him having sex or anything else with anyone else.

But then he mentioned scheduling— oh thank goodness he didn’t actually mean scheduling! That would be weird. Then, in hindsight, it was not at all different from how conversations with Blythe regarding expectations went regarding… marital relations. Bringing the glass back to her lips, Myra took another swig. It was lovely and full of thick, jammy flavors of blackberries and black currants. A little drier than she liked but very delicious — wait did he think I was asking for a date and time?

And no, not a timeline or to schedule it,” she set her glass down, feeling more embarrassed by the second.

“I mean, typically, getting the birth control stim makes one think it’s because you want to… have sex.”

That’s what Blythe had assured her. He said that he had taken care of things and there was no need to worry. He made his intentions clear after what that meant. A pause, and she glanced down at her plate, scooping some risotto onto her fork and taking a few bites.

“Oh, it does? I thought it was just being responsible.”

Makai didn’t think the conversation was going to go this way when he first mentioned PharmaTech. It was more of a mention to assure her that he was getting better at thinking ahead and taking action. He figured she would have just nodded and gone back to talking about his father and Azula.

Did she not remember our conversation on Palanhi about being drunk and the condoms? Does she not think of this as a fail safe? I only mentioned it so she wouldn't worry.

“I don’t understand.”

Brows knit as he tried to figure out if he was being oblivious to the situation. Conversations replayed in his mind as he ate, silent for a moment. Maybe it was one of those things he just really didn’t understand, he didn’t have the same upbringing Ellie did, the finishing school and society training and such.

Maybe they hadn't reached this milestone of truth in their relationship, although for the most part they had shared a lot with one another. Even in the past.

There wasn’t much else he could do without a lot of questions that would potentially just make him look even more like an idiot. Instead he went with his second gut instinct.

“I….I apologize if I shouldn’t have mentioned it.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom