Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MCA-762CG "Ret'ini"

Status
Not open for further replies.
800px-DAM134DT.png
Site location: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/DAM134DT.png/800px-DAM134DT.png

Intent: To create a heavy weapon for Mandalorian special forces unit.
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: Mythosaur Customs and Arms/ Ordo
Model: MCA-762CG
Affiliation: Mandalorian Ori'Ramikade
Modularity: Yes (ammo can be 5000 round powerpack or 8000 round power pack or a large 20,000 round backpack, can be either mounted or carried)
Production: Limited (24 only)
Material: Primarily Durasteel.

Description: The MCA-762CG is a standard mobile blaster autocannon designed for use by the Mandalorian Ori'Ramikade. The members of this elite unit being limited in number the number of these units is also limited. The obvious uses for The "Ret'ini" as it has been called are for large scale offense and defense agaist enemy personnel and light armored vehicles. The fast rate of fire combined with the velocity makes it lethal at long ranges. However with the power and speed of the weapon comes several set backs. One is the weight which is substantial for a personal heavy weapon. The weapon is also designed so that it can be mounted on a vehical or other platform as an option.

Classification: mobile rotating auto blaster cannon
Size: Two handed
Length: 801.66mm

Weight: 35kg
Ammunition Type: High powered Blaster bolts
Ammunition Capacity: 5000, 8000, 20, 000 (see under modularity)
Effective Range: Maximum 1,000 m, Ideal 750m or less

Details:
Action: Electrically driven rotary breech
Rate of Fire: 2.000 - 6,000 rpm
Muzzle Velocity: 2,800 ft/sec (853m/s)

Hrm. My primary, main concern with this weapon is the listed ability to fire from the hip. It doesn't work in real life, so I don't see how this would work in SW unless the shooter is wearing powered battle armor. Specifically:

1) Impracticality of hip-firing such a weapon. Recoil and ejecting brass would severely reduce the effectiveness of such a weapon. I know in SW heavy repeaters are wielded by clone troopers, but I only accept that because repeaters are "blasters". "Ammo" would be lighter and recoil would be (maybe?) far less of an issue. There's also no ejecting brass to pummel the user. Plus the accuracy is going to be terrible. Firing any weapon from the hip means accuracy is bad. So, firing a minigun from the hip is pretty dangerous and ineffective.

2) The ammo capacity would severely hinder the use of such a weapon if it did not have true squad support. Assuming an average, RL 7.62mm round weighs around ~22 grams, 500 rounds would account for about 11 kg, or about 25+ pounds. That's only for one magazine/belt/box. I'd assume a typical trooper would carry at least two reloads plus one loaded, so you're talking over 30 kg in ammo, not counting the weapon itself. This also isn't counting powerpacks needed to power the weapon.

3) A single load of 500 rounds, or even 1000, would give you perhaps 20 seconds of fire before having to be reloaded. That's not a whole lot given how little ammo is carried by a single person. And since accuracy is terrible, you're best bet is to spray an area for suppressing fire, but 20 seconds of firing doesn't lend itself very well to that. A simple squad automatic weapon like the M249 would be far more effective.

Those are my main beefs with this weapon. That said, I'm willing to work with you on this. What are your thoughts about my concerns? Do you have ideas on how to work around these issues? If there's a good way to address them, or correct my comments because I'm known to be wrong, I'm very willing to hear you out. :)

Please tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

No problem. My hope is that we'll be able to turn this into a usable submission.

Take your time as well. Just make sure to tag me, since that's my main way of checking to see if there's an update to one of these threads.

@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

Ok Ner Vod, I have made some modifications. I changed the ammo amount as well as type from slug to energy.

I found a youtube video of hip fired minigun but it was about 1/3 this size so I decided ot was a poor size for what I was going for.

On a side note. The M249 SAW should be properly fired by bracing the buttplate firmly against the inner thigh by a stationary troop which is what I had in mind but again I charnged to an energy weapon for reasonableness.

I was an 0351 so me the M240g and the M249 spent alot of time together back in the day.

Thank you again and let me know what more I should do.

I like the fixes. I think the change from slugs to energy for ammunition goes a long way to addressing my concerns of recoil, weight, etc. With blaster technology, suspension of disbelief is far more reasonable. :)

I think this looks fine now.

The only other quibble I have is the use of the term autocannon because cannon denotes a weapon that fires an explosive round. But, hey, that's semantics, and who knows how terminology would change if energy weapons are introduced? :p

Approved!

Side Notes:

1) That's what I meant regarding the proper bracing of the M249. At least I meant that in mind, not necessarily by my writing. :)

2) Like I said, if I'm wrong in my comments and my error is pointed out and rebutted by facts (or in your case, personal military experience), then I'm all for eating my own words. :lol: I just did some research on the idea of hip-firing a minigun, and came to the conclusion that it was a Hollywood manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom