Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Master & Apprentice

ZndvMPD.png

Silver Rest Temple, Kashyyyk
Theme Music - The Force

The world of Kashyyyk had always been among Sol'yan's favorite places to visit. The majestic Worshyr trees were a majesty to behold compared to any world, and the villages built high up into the trees' branches gave the aged Jedi a sense of a simpler time. The Wookiees themselves were a noble race, peppered with hardship and perseverance since time immemorial, but nonetheless hospitable and generous of themselves. He always found peace here, particularly at the temple of the Silver Jedi. The planet itself seemed to have a unique energy within the force, teeming with life. But he was not here simply for personal reflection. No, those days were long gone, when he chose a life of exile. Now, he had duties that needed tending to. He had spent too much of his life hiding from the galaxy, focusing on his own internal demons and turmoil. The time to place them behind him had long passed, and it was time to make amends in whatever way that he could. For starters, he joined the ranks of the Silver Jedi, who stoically stood in the face of great evils which revealed themselves to the galaxy. When he re-emerged, it was the Bryn'adul. Now, it was the Brotherhood of the Maw.

While he hardly considered himself a soldier, he was not afraid to fight in the defense of others, and had done so on more than a few occasions over the past few decades. While he was able and willing to continue doing so, he knew full well that such a course was not in and of itself enough. The galaxy needed more heroes to defend itself in the face of what evil attempted to subdue it, and those heroes needed training from those who already acted in its defense. While he would not be so bold as to say he was the wisest, the strongest, or the most capable Jedi, he knew he was more than up to the task of imparting the ideals of what it meant to be one. That was why he finally acceded to the council's request that he take on an apprentice. He had given much thought as to the best way to do so, as he had never before taken an apprentice in the century and a half he had lived thus far. Some masters simply stumbled across their apprentices in their travels, while others reviewed prospects from afar - observing their ratings from masters who resided in the temple to preside over group training and classes. While he saw some merit in perhaps reviewing such records briefly, his experiences had taught him that one could not always trust 'reports' or rumors. He put far more stock in meeting people face to face; feeling their aura within the force, and analyzing their motivations with his own powers of discernment. This was why a particular pupil stood apart from the rest in his eyes.

Ara Sheridan was known to be a trouble maker within Silver's Rest. From what parts of her record he did review, she was known to get into fights, having a laissez-faire attitude at best, and a belligerent attitude at worst when it came to authority. But instead of being a total miscreant through and through, she did show very high marks in her studies and class activities. Most masters may simply dismiss such things, instead focusing on her apparent lack of regard for the tenants set forth in the Jedi Code. {Passion, yet Serenity came to mind as Sol'yan mused over his recollection of her file for the last time prior to landing his craft onto a hanger pad of the temple. Without even meeting her, he could seemingly already sense a passion for something, yet unbridled and needing direction so as to achieve true serenity in life. He had not as of yet full decided as to whether she was the one he wished to choose, but he had decided that he wanted to meet her. From what he understood, she spent a lot of her time within the hanger bay of the temple when she was not in class, working on speeders and tinkering with all manner of machinery. What better place to meet her for the first time then when she was engaging in an activity she enjoyed? Sol'yan exited his small craft and set foot, for the first time in a long time, on the surface of Kashyyyk within the temple grounds. He reached out with the force, and let his feet guide him as he searched for the young one. In short order, he indeed found her within the hangar, seemingly tinkering with a speeder; deeply focused on what she was doing.

He approached with a casual gait, his impressive form towering over the majority of people within the hangar save the occasional Wookiee who passed by. His brown robes were clean and well maintained, despite bearing the indications of being well worn over the years. The light blue tendrils falling from the back of his head were bundled together in a loose pony-tail of sorts, and his elongated light saber hung loosely on his belt. He placed a faint smile on his lips before speaking from behind her, a few paces away:
"You must be Ara." He paused, as if to allow her to crane her head backward to see who was speaking to her. Whether she did or not, she continued: "I am Master Sol'yan. I wanted to speak with you if you have a moment, young one." His deep voice resonated through the area; not loudly, but deeply, with a rich texture not dissimilar to a well aged wine.

It had been a few years since Ara reunited with her mother and found a home on Kashyyyk, and she was happy that it was working out. Her relationship with her mother was stronger than ever. At one point she despised her... now she couldn't imagine a life without her. She even got a part time job in the hangars when she didn't have schoolwork or chores to do which she greatly enjoyed. It also gave her pocket money that allowed her to fund her pod-racing without having to break her mother's bank as badly.

Naturally it wasn't all perfume and roses. Her last race on Malastare was a perfect win... but now some of the padawans took to teasing her and accusing her of cheating. One of those padawans, who also made the mistake of bringing Ara's mother up in the insulting, was now recovering from a broken nose and arm. The only reason she wasn't expelled was because it didn't happen in school time or on school grounds. There was also the situation around her "force sensitivity." It was figured out by Sam and her Jedi friend, and since then it seemed to be her most interesting attribute. Some people have talked to her and her mother about joining the Order to become a Jedi, something that took them a long time to decide on. Neither her or her mother had a lot of love for Jedi. In Underworld, they were seen as a joke. Only caring about rich and powerful people, not the commoners that they claimed they wanted to protect. But since they arrived on Kashyyyk, opinions have shifted dramatically.

But not to the point where Ara wanted to throw herself, body and soul, at the Order to become another bright-eyed, entitled paddie.

Regardless, they had made the decision together, thinking that it might be a secure and reliable future for the girl. They were told that they would be in touch and that was the last Ara or her mother mother heard of the topic.

Now she was wrenching on the newest project for her and her mother. Taking a speeder and souping it up to be the family fun-mobile. The next step would be to take Sam's old freighter and mod that as well, but for now a speeder will work nicely. Ara was in a world of her own, focused on the task at hand while thinking of what else they could do to the vehicle. A paint-job was high up on the list. New interior as well, but that was going to be expensive.

She was yanked out of her world and into reality when a voice spoke her name behind her. Instantly her grip on the wrench tightened as she glanced around to see who it was... only to find herself staring at the individual's gut. Her gaze shifted up as she rose to her full height... and her gaze kept moving until she was practically staring at the ceiling. "Whoa..." she muttered with wide eyes, utterly taken back by the figure's size. He kept talking but she barely heard a word as she kept staring at him. "How's the weather up there?" she quipped with a smirk.

He wanted to talk in private and one glance at the lightsaber on his belt gave her an idea on what it was about. She sighed and motioned for him to follow as she walked to her parked pod racer. It was secluded enough for a private chat, but still public enough in case her suspicions were confirmed. "Alright, let's hear it. Who are you? Did Jimmy, or whatever the kark his name is, put you up for this? You his master or something? 'Cause I swear, I'll break his other arm too if he sent his master to come beat me up." she asked with annoyance rising in her voice. Her arms folded as she dropped into the seat of her pod, watching the stranger with a frown that grew harsher with each passing moment.

Sol'yan Sol'yan

Last edited:

Sol'yan arched his brow slightly at the...irreverent manner in which Ara addressed him, realizing after a short while (though a few moments longer than he wished) that she was alluding to how tall he was by comparison to herself. He hid his mild bemusement well which would likely add to the difficulties most sentients had in deciphering his facial expressions, given how rare Feeorin were in the greater galaxy compared to other species. It sometimes led to those he met in his travels believing him to be calloused when the truth was anything but that. He was taken aback once again when she led him to her pod racer and expressed her uncertainty that he was who he said he was.

He almost spoke so as to check her, simply put, lack of manners. Thankfully, the years had taught him well the value of listening and thinking prior to speaking. At first, the thought crossed his mind that her attitude expressed in her report hadn't "done her justice" as the human expression went, but as he reached out with the force, he came to realize something a little more subtle that couldn't have been more obvious from the simple facts outlined in her report. She had a troubled childhood from what he recalled, although the report didn't have very many facts aside from living on the streets for a short period of time until her and her mother moved to Kashyyyk.

He sensed that she did not have an easy life so far, and probably was used to be accused rather than listened to more often than not. That... was no way to live one's life. The Jedi paused for more than a few moments, enough to probably make Ara squirm slightly as to why, but eventually Sol'yan stepped over to a tall stool and sat on it (which was a slightly awkward sight to behold). He folded his arms, and affixed an amiable smile on his face.
"Why don't you tell me your side of the matter?" Sol'yan hadn't the slightest idea what she was referring to, but perhaps her answer would reveal more of what he hoped to know about her.

His imposing figure and very long silence was having an effect on the hot-headed Zabrak. She shuffled a little in her seat as she forced herself to maintain eye contact with the mastodon who decided to take a seat. He looked extremely out of place on the stool, but she didn't want to give him any more reason to beat her up. Her mother's words were on repeat in her mind. "If you don't give 'em a reason, you can kark them up later legally... and then kark them up physically when nobody's watching." It sounded like a good idea now.

Then he asked her to tell her side of the story. She blinked in surprise as she stared at him for a moment. "Okay then." she agreed as she sat upright. "Basically, he said I cheated in my last race on Malastare. I told him that he didn't know jack-poodoo about pod-racing and he needed to keep his mouth shut. He said something about this not being Underworld and I told him to go kriff himself. Then he proceeded to insult my mom and that's when I clocked him on the nose." she explained calmly and confidently. "He raised his hand at me, I don't know if he wanted to use the Force on me or not, but I grabbed hold of him and broke his arm before he could. After that he ran away with his friends." she finished, not a lick of guilt coming from her. "I had warned him that I'll knock his ass down if he didn't shut up. You can go ask the other paddies around us if he said I didn't warn him." she quickly stated.

She rose from her seat and faced the master. "He's lucky this isn't Underworld. If he spoke like that to me or someone else, he would likely have gotten a bolt in the back or a shiv in the gut Entitled moof milker." she commented as she brushed some hair out of her face. "Alright, big guy. You gonna break my ribs now or can I get back to work? That speeder ain't gonna mod itself." she asked with a hint of boredom seeping through. It was certainly not going to be her first fight, and she already made peace with the fact that she was going to wake up in an infirmary within the next couple hours.

Sol'yan Sol'yan

"I...see." Sol'yan remarked as she concluded her retelling of the altercation. There was much to discern through her retelling of the events that had transpired. She was not shy to tell what sounded like the whole truth, even about her own actions. Granted, he had not heard "Jimmy's" side of the story, and he didn't really care to. In his experience, young ones who had something to hide would embellish facts and aspects of the retelling to make themselves appear more favorable. He sensed no such efforts from here here.

All that he did sense was an anxiety as she arose from her seat in the pod racer. Her anxiety was confirmed as she braced herself for a beating. Did she expect him to do that...?
"There will be no beating, young one." He began, his voice bearing a hint of sympathy for such reprisals being the norm for her. He extended his hand back to the cockpit of her pod racer and continued: "Please... return to your seat."

While his tone was calm and polite, it did not imply that what he said was a request. He would wait for her to return to her seat, his eyes regarding her neutrally as he gathered his thoughts for the best way to proceed. Finally, he continued: "I am not here to discuss this... altercation between you and this 'Jimmy'. I am also not here to correct or chastise you for the wrongs you've done... even though I doubt I need to educate you that breaking someone's arm is not an appropriate way to resolve a conflict." His tone had taken a slightly more severe tone with his last few words. After a few moments' pause, his soft smile returned as he continued:

"That being said, I would wager that he likely deserved what had befallen him in this rare case, particularly if you had reason to believe he was preparing to use his abilities against you." He regarded her for another moment. It actually was impressive that she was able to subdue someone with some sort of training, however slight. Judging from her tinkering with that speeder, she was also clearly resourceful. And he couldn't judge her too harshly, for there was a time long ago where he had a very similar temperament. In fact, a memory came to mind where he nearly bust a peer's skull open for calling him a 'tentacle face'. The intemperance of youth he mused to himself.

"I am here, because I am interested in taking on an apprentice. I wanted to meet you in person to help in my final thoughts as to who I wish that person to be." His yellow eyes rested upon her, appraising her as he waited for her reaction, or potential response.

Ara Sheridan Ara Sheridan

Last edited:
Ara was surprised when he reassured her that he wasn't there to beat her up. She was ready for that. Now she didn't know what to expect. He politely insisted that she returned to her seat. "Oh... okay." she muttered as she sat down again. She removed her racing helmet from a steering tiller and cradled it in her lap as she stared up at the absolute unit.

He explained to her that this meeting had nothing to do with her fight that she had, though she did give a nod towards the end. He had a point. Breaking someone's arm was certainly not the right way to resolve a situation... but damn, did it feel good to shut the kid up. She also didn't see any wrong in her actions given the situation she was in. He seemed to agree with that train of thought as he admitted to her being in the clear as well. If a Jedi master felt that she was right, it certainly helped her confidence in the situation. A small smile formed as she gave a shrug.

A smile that disappeared very quickly when he explained why he was talking to her. Her heart sank as her eyes went wide. "Wait, what?" she muttered in confusion. She squirmed in her seat, unsure of what to say or how to react. Her initial instinct was to chase him away, but then she thought back to her mother. This was what they were hoping for. Her mother kept reassuring her that the Force would send the right person their way. Ara wasn't a religious person. After everything her and her mother had been through, believing in some entity or deity was laughable at best. But her mother had grown to start believing in the Force and all that jazz. A habit that had begrudgingly rubbed off on Ara.

Perhaps there was some merit to these new beliefs.

Her gaze returned to master Chungus across from her as she gave a nervous smile. "Um... probably not the first impression you were hoping for, huh?" she quipped with a light chuckle. "We didn't know if the Order even noticed my enrolment. We didn't expect that anyone would even give us a chance, or I didn't at least." she admitted softly. "I ain't gonna try and sell myself here. I ain't some space wizard. I don't know how to do something with my hands here and make something happen over there. I mean... I'm not like all the other peeps who get here and they already have an idea of what the hell is going on." Her gaze shifted to her helmet in her lap as the goggles stared up at her. "I just know that sometimes I get a feeling about someone or something. That feeling has saved my life a bunch of times, on and off the track."

She looked back to him, her face curled into a nervous frown. "I'd like to be given a chance. I wanna make mom happy... and find a direction for myself. Just don't expect me to be this super awesome chosen one or something." she admitted gently. "If you do choose me, am I gonna have to start wearing those weird robes and call you 'Master...' uh, what's your name again?" a toothy grin appeared to hide her embarrassment of missing his name.

Sol'yan Sol'yan

"Sol'yan." He said in answer to her question. Her reaction was a bit more amenable to the idea than he had anticipated. He halfway expected her to snort at the idea of becoming a Jedi and return to her work on the speeder. The other half, however, hoped for a reaction along the lines of what she had done. The Feeorin Jedi shifted slightly in his "seat" if one could call such an undersized thing as this stool thusly, and nodded understandingly at the young woman.

"Many apply as you have done, hoping to become one of our order. However, to do so, one must have a connection with the force, and show a certain level of potential. Unfortunately, many never hear back. But you -" He paused, this time making sure his smile was a bit more noticeable: "-despite your propensity for snapping appendages, and your copious use of... colorful language; you have both a connection to the force, and potential." There it was. He knew the force had drawn his attention to her for a reason. Whether she realized it or not, her connection was strong for someone untrained. It was raw, pure. It needed to be molded, and if done so properly, would truly be a wonder to behold.

"The path of the Jedi is not an easy one, child." He wondered if she would object to being called 'child', but his tone was rather fatherly (or grand fatherly, he wagered) rather than derisive. He had never had children of his own, but for some reason he felt a paternal instinct around her. Perhaps it was because they were not so dissimilar, given the loss of his father, and the absence of hers. "The power of the Jedi is not held lightly, nor cultivated easily. It requires a strong control of our emotions, to ensure that we master them rather than them mastering us. Have you ever thought about what would happen to the peace we have here at the temple if the Jedi abused its power to harm or seek revenge on others? Say, for a comment about our mother? Or our height...?" For the first time in their interaction, and in fact for the first time in a long while, Sol'yan winked as he stated the last part, chuckling slightly.

"True strength Is knowing when it is appropriate to fight, and when it is imperative not to. Without learning that simple lesson, we would be no better than the Maw." He extended his hand to her, as if inviting her to grasp it as he added: "If you are willing to walk this path, and to strive to be the best version of yourself that you can be, then my decision has been made."

When he started to speak, he didn't help her mood at all. Was he interested in taking her on or not? That question was answered finally when he stated that she had potential. Her features curled into the frown at being called a 'child,' but a genuine grin started to spread as he went on to explain the adversity she could expect. She figured as much. Controlling things with one's mind didn't sound easy to begin with. "I mean... I did accidentally launch a can of soda at my mom the other day. I guess that counts as potential." she admitted with a snicker. He put a lot of emphasis on controlling one's emotions and suddenly learning to control things with one's mind sounded like the easy part.

She couldn't stop herself from chuckling at his little joke towards the end. He had a point. If she was going to do this, she needed to keep her temper in check. That wasn't so hard, it just required her to forget everything that she went through, the lessons in her failures and her entire upbringing. Not that bad, right? "I think moving things with my mind is gonna be the easy bit, to be honest." she quipped as she set her helmet aside and got up. She tensed up as he rose as well and held a hand out to her.

She stared at his enormous hand for a few seconds, unmoving as she thought through what this choice could mean for her. With a deep breath she made up her mind and stepped forward...

To wrap her arms around him and give him as tight a hug as she could muster.

She held it for a second or two before she stepped back, cleared her throat and straightened out her t-shirt. "Uh... please don't tell anyone I did that." she muttered to him.

"You didn't answer my question, though." she spoke up as she looked up to him. "Am I gonna have to start wearing those robes and call you 'master' from now on?" she asked again. Both were going to take a lot of getting used to...

Sol'yan Sol'yan

Sol'yan emitted a slight grunt as the Zabraki's arms wrapped around him. She may have been smaller in stature compared to him, but she could easily pursue a career in Hutt ball if she decided this path was not for her. He brought his hand around and patted her on the back, chuckling softly once again. When they released from their embrace, his new apprentice repeated the questions she had asked previously. He had assumed she was joking, but apparently not. "Erm... yes, you would wear the typical robes of our order, although there is room for personal flair. Tunics are fairly common, along with bodices & doublets. I'm sure we could find an assortment of outfits to your liking. Regarding the proper way to address me..."

He paused for a moment, thinking of the best way to handle the topic. Sol'yan did not consider himself to be an overly proud man. He did have a sense of pride over his position as a master, but moreso because of the work it took to get there rather than any personal vainglory or prestige. He never really had an issue with addressing his master as such, but he wasn't her. He suspected there was likely much about Ara he would need to learn over the years to follow in their relationship. "It... is widely considered to be a sign of respect to address one's master as "master", or other Jedi in passing. Knights are also commonly addressed as masters from padawans. That certainly can be challenging if the Jedi in question is... less than easy to deal with."

He crouched down slightly so as to bring his eyes down to her level, as a gesture to show he didn't necessarily care to "look down" upon her except for mere necessity considering his size. "I would hope that we can begin our relationship upon a foundation of respect for one another. Of course, I used the word 'child' metaphorically when addressing you. Heh, I suppose I view nearly everyone as a child considering how old I am now. But I will endeavor treat you with the respect you should have as a capable young woman. All I ask is you afford me the same respect as your master. Particularly in public."

That was rather complicated.
He mused. It was a rather indirect say of saying 'yes, call me master'. But he did not feel it constructive to make demands. Hopefully, the respect he hoped to engender within her through his own actions would make it easier for her to adopt the common forms of address. "If that works for you, and if there are no further questions - please get your affairs in order and find me in the temple. Should anyone stop you, inform them you are my guest, and give them this." He placed a small token in her hand and paused, not wanting to be the first to leave if she did indeed have more questions.

Last edited:
The was a lightly audible groan escaping Ara as he insisted that she wear the typical robes. She didn't like the look of them at all. They look dumb and with the people she's had to deal with, it formed a nasty image in her mind. But there were upsides to this. Hopefully she could change the image in her head a little. She was definitely going to take advantage of the 'personal flair' he mentioned. She would ask about the other words he mentioned at a later date. She didn't understand half the words he said when he talked about the outfits.

He went on to explain the thoughts behind calling someone 'master.' It made sense. She would like to be called 'master' as well someday... or any fancy title, for that matter. She smiled as he crouched down to get on her eye level. She felt a lot less intimidated by him as she stared into his brown eyes. She was starting to think that his perpetual frown was just natural, rather than a reflection of his typical mood. "I can try that, yeah." she agreed with a nod to his request of respect. He's earned it, as far as she was concerned. He has done nothing but treat her with respect, the least she could do was try to do the same with him. Especially after crouching down like he did. That was not something that happened often.

She held her hand out and accepted the token he gave her, studying it before she slipped it into a pocket. She wasn't expecting to start so soon with lessons, she was looking forward to getting some progress done on the speeder. Meh, it can wait. "I'll be right there, just need to sort things out quickly." she excused, starting to walk away before stopping. "Uh, master." she followed up awkwardly. This was going to take some getting used to. After she covered up the speeder and sent her mom a message about where she was, she rushed off into the temple. Hopefully she didn't run right past him...

Sol'yan Sol'yan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom