Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary Sue EnSues (Maybe?) Character ReMastered

Ready or not, new Galven/Jeron is here
If anyone around the board OOCly ever heard of Galven Solomon... did you think there was more to him always? Or just a barebones human lacking everything? Galven Solomon has been a long running character of mine, the second most visited and detailed. Of course, he required heavy edits to make sense in the realm of CHAOS, but everything eventually worked out.

What did you think of Galven? What do you think of him now? How do you think your characters (Those who have roleplayed with him) feel about the mask coming off?

Minor edits attuned to the character for CHAOS, honestly I never went this far for Galven's story, this is the first time this character has gotten so far. Only in my head did he ever get to rebel against the faction, and a little writing here and there. Besides, I thought since my other character, the first character I ever made, has been literally shelved for a few years (A book), it was time to see something new.

Opinions?

[member="Sanya Val Swift"] [member="Darth Pikiran"] [member="Abigail Selonna"] [member="Alicia Drey"] [member="Matsu Ike"] [member="Coryth Elaris"] [member=Reshmar] [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] [member="Darth Kentarch"] [member="Valiens Nantaris"]

How was Galven's acting? hahaha...

[member="Galven Solomon"]

Getting feedback as a writer is important yes, but I hesitate to give an opinion as to whether I "like" or "dislike" a character because its not my character. The feedback I prefer to focus on is more technical. I use a lot of metaphors, I break the fourth wall sometimes, I use a lot of fragments for effect in my writing. I'm very stylistic, but that can also annoy readers. I know a frequent criticism of myself that I feel I've never struck a good balance of is that I can cram too much detail too frequently into posts.

Case in point, in any given post I'll describe Sor-Jan as "Corellian" "Anzat" "Raven-haired youth" several times over, and some readers feel they don't need to be constantly reminded about those details over and over again. I do it to avoid using "boy" throughout my posts, but some people would rather I just say "boy" and move on.

In terms of what you're talking about (an opinion about a character) I'll share with you this example. I write [member="Zak Dymo"] and have for more than a year now. With over 700 posts and 40 threads, I've turned down promotion to Jedi Knight 4 times now. This has actually gotten me into debates with a few people over the character and opinions about him. To them, Jedi Knight would be a reflection of the fact that he's a well-established character. To me, that's not indicative of his character. I created him to be the plucky padawan.

And, at the end of the day, its my choice what happens to my character or how my character gets portrayed. People may disagree with my choice (and they do), but they are not the ones writing the characer... I am. It's the same thing here. Galven is your character. Only you can decide if his character is up to snuff or not.

So when I say that the only factor that matters is whether YOU are happy with your character, I sincerely mean that. Every writer here at Chaos has different strengths and weaknesses as writers. We all have different styles and themes that are our mainstays. Gungan lawyers and Death Watch warlords aside, I obviously default to youngling characters. And some people hate those characters.

However, I've always enjoyed writing with you and learning about your character as we go. It would seem very unlikely that an Old Republic Jedi and an Imperial would get along and be friends, yet it works with Galven and Sor-Jan.

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]

Thank you for the response Sor-Jan, and I hope you realize when I use the term boy in my posts, it neither reflects my OOC or IC perspective of the character. I use boy as a reference so that we know I'm talking about Sor-Jan so I don't say your name constantly, and it's also a name I don't always type, haha. But if you referred to Galven as the old man, as I do a lot for my NPC and other character, it wouldn't affect me, as it's recognition. Sometimes "boy" and "old man" have significant meanings, better than the other.

But anyway, I personally do not feel I have to describe the entricate details of the way a lightswitch looks in my roleplays -- now I know that comes off harsh, but I don't mean it that way at all. I mean it as; I don't feel I have to always have to hold the door open for people. It is something that can be done and doesn't have to, which is fine. If someone is immediately behind me, yeah, sure, I'll prop the door for a hot second so they can grab it. But if they are several feet behind me it can close and they can grab it. Do you understand what I mean? If you do it, awesome! It's cool and I admire it, but I won't be as entirely descriptive all the time.

Some people like a lot of description, some people like over description, some people dislike it, some hate it. I am a very flexible writer, and a lot of times I enjoy roleplay on any level, any quality, any quantity, which is why I've been open to so many. I love our threads as well, they can grow into huge posts, or be simple and to the point, but always a worthwhile experience. I hope we can grow even more during this Ball, grow as friends and possibly partners, hopefully getting over this stump of a new face.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

You are a swifty ninja, swooping in like nobody's business and no one ever catches you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom