Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Mario non-explosive reactive armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To provide a non-explosive reactive armor scheme
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Non-explosive reactive armor
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Name: Mario non-explosive reactive armor (NERA)
  • Manufacturer: Ringovinda Systems
  • Homeworld (optional): N/A
  • Production: Mass
  • Affiliation: Open-Market
  • Modularity: Yes
  • Material: Durasteel, rubber
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Compound
  • Weight: Heavy
  • Quality: 7
  • Color: Steel gray
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Durasteel plates
  • Rubber lining
Strengths:
  • Allows greater protection against projectiles and shaped charges
  • Tiles can be easily replaced
Weaknesses:
  • Must be used in heavy tiles
  • Each tile can only take a limited number of hits (depending on weapons): after the rubber lining is expended, the tile must be replaced
  • Requires backing plates to prevent the assembly from falling apart
  • Provides only limited protection against directed-energy weapons
  • Vulnerable to incendiaries: if an incendiary penetrates the outer plate, the rubber lining catches fire
DESCRIPTION
While the Kreelan explosive-reactive armor has had some successes in ground combat, it was found that vehicles equipped with ERA were dangerous to use and forced any infantry support to maintain a safe distance from the vehicles in combat, due to the risk of collateral damage from shrapnel projection both to infantry and to nearby property. Unlike its explosive cousin, the Mario, the non-explosive version, projects little, if any, shrapnel upon taking hits, which allows infantry support to at any distance from a vehicle using it. As with its explosive cousin, the inner plate needs to be installed on a backing plate located on the vehicle's chassis. As for what happens when a projectile hits a tile: a projectile will penetrate the outer plate, as it would an ordinary durasteel plate of that thickness, and then it will hit the rubber liner, sandwiched between two durasteel plates, allowing it to absorb part of the energy of the projectile, but does so with much less ability to project shrapnel. Depending on how much energy it had upon penetrating the outer plate, the projectile may have much less energy to go around, or perhaps even fail to penetrate the inner plate altogether. Also, due to rubber's diminished ability to reduce projectiles' energy, compared to explosives, it provides less protection than ERA of the same thickness. Of course, the aim of the Mario NERA is not so much to stop the projectile (it could but it would only be able to stop slugs up to 12.7mm) but to disrupt the projectile flight path so that the inner layers can defeat the projectile.

In addition, if directed-energy weapons are fired at a tile of Mario NERA, it will likely also cause the rubber liner underneath the outer plate to expand. Tiles usually come in 20x20cm formats (several sizes of tiles can be produced for different vehicles) with a thickness of 7cm, weighing about 5 kg apiece; assuming the bolts come off the backing plate without problem, a tile can be replaced in as few as 15 seconds and, unlike its explosive cousin. A plate might survive a glancing blow from a blaster rifle, but a direct hit from one's standard blaster rifles may cause the outer plate to be penetrated and then cause the rubber to expand or melt. As for disruptors being fired on Mario NERA tiles, it would simply vaporize the outer tile but once the bolt comes into contact with the rubber lining, it would also cause the tile to expand, and also cause the outer tile to be disintegrated as well.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
<p>Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.</p>

Rusty

Okay, so this is something I've actually played with IRL, albeit for a completely different application. Tried to use steel and rubber as a backstop for a target, and, well, it didn't go as well as I had hoped. It's great for light rounds, like .22, but the .303 and .308 chewed it all to pieces in short order.

So where does that leave us?

In your current configuration, using much, much sturdier and thicker rubber than what I had on hand, I think this would be pretty effective against small arms. Anything that doesn't penetrate outright is going to bounce off, and the rubber should absorb the impact nicely. Anything that does penetrate is going to chew up the rubber pretty quick. Anything bigger than a .50? Well, the rubber should prevent rounds that penetrate from throwing shrapnel at surrounding infantry, but that's cold comfort to the crew getting torn to shreds on the inside. A hypervelocity round would likely barely notice. If you've any counter examples of this sort of thing proving useful against heavy weapons I'm all ears, but as it stands, I don't see this being effective against heavy weapons.

Also, this isn't reactive armor. It's a purely passive system, and would better be marketed as an armor applique. That's just a suggestion though.

[member="Jessica Med-Beq"]

[member="Rusty"] Rather than HVC, what documentation I did find on what that NERA recipe would be effective against seemed to indicate it would instead have some effectiveness against shaped charges.

My understanding is that Chaos armored vehicles would have composite armor, especially the more heavily armored vehicles are, and that sub is for the outermost layer, whose purpose is not so much to defeat the projectile but to deform the flight path.

Rusty

The sort of armor used in Chaos varies wildly, and anything that creates a standoff distance would reduce the effectiveness of a shaped charge. What that doesn't account for is the self forging projectile catching the rubber on fire, which would be a huge risk, especially after it gets aerated by a firefight. So, call that one a wash.

[member="Jessica Med-Beq"]

[member="Rusty"] I could simply say that it is vulnerable to incendiaries, I guess... which leads to why it provides only limited protection against energy weapons, and also as to why it is best used in spaced applique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom