Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantle of Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
joJP64i.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

• Intent: To create a new Mantle for Voph to wear into combat
  • Image Source: X
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Primary Source: Mantle of the Pilgrim
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Mantle
  • Weight: Very Light
  • Resistances
- Blasters (And other plasma type weapons): None
- Kinetic: None
- Lightsabers: None
- The Force: Extreme

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Force Imbued: The Mantle has been imbued with the force, offering unparalleled defense against Force based attacks, and a passive aura.
Strengths:
  • Force Imbued: The Mantle has been imbued to provide the wearer with a passive cone of Force Vision, offering the same range of vision that standard humans boast.
  • Passive Effect: While normally requiring conscious thought on the part of the user, the Mantle has been imbued with Force Sight that passively filters a rough image of whatever is in front of the wearer, allowing it to still work at full effectiveness when subjected to things such as a Ysalamiri Bubble.
  • Extreme Force Resistance: The imbuing process has naturally made the mantle resistant to Force Powers.
Weaknesses:
  • Force Void: The Mantle's Effects are rendered inert within a force void.
  • Scrap of Cloth: The mantle offers no physical defense on any level.
DESCRIPTION
Voph created the Mantle of Sight after an idea struck him during his recovery from wounds sustained on Tanaab. As with his traditional Mantle, the Mantle of Sight is little more than a strip of cloth, though upon closer inspection it has been inscribed with a number of runes, many invisible unless subjected to deep scrutiny. The Force is present upon the item, however, and can actively ward against incoming Force attacks. This, however, is only a secondary feature behind the mantle's ability to provide a window into the realm of the Force, when one is unable to open a window of their own.

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
[member="Voph"],

Glad to finally see someone make something like this. Pun intended. However, there are some small things I have questions about.

Voph said:
Passive Effect: While normally requiring conscious thought on the part of the user, the Mantle has been imbued with Force Sight that passively filters a rough image of whatever is in front of the wearer, allowing it to still work at full effectiveness when subjected to things such as a Ysalamiri Bubble.
Voph said:
Force Void: The Mantle's Effects are rendered inert within a force void.
These contradict one another. Force imbued items have been shown time and time again to lose pretty much every ability when the enter a Force nullification field. So I am unsure how the passive effect would still persist even in a field where the force is removed.

And a weakness I recommend adding, is that when in the field of a Void stone, it could potentially dampen the ability to see. Much akin to a normal human having to try and see through a fog, or smoke.

Ysalamiri Bubbles, per the Wookiee page, are not a void in the force, just an area where active control over the force cannot be exerted. Force Voids, on the otherhand, would block or hamper the effects (These being things like the Voidstone you mentioned, Wounds in the Force, Vong tech, etc). If I need to add this clarification to the submission, I can, but there doesn't seem to be a contradiction as it is currently written.

EDIT: Forgot to tag, and offering a link to the Wookiee article in question. Specifically, the line stating "Ysalamiri did not actually negate the Force; since all existence was infused with Force energy,[4] this would not be possible. Rather, they projected a bubble inside which users were unable to exert any influence over the Force."

EDIT 2: Coffee. It's wonderful. I've had none of it today. The Wookiee link, for real this time, is HERE.

[member="Vigil Rostu"]

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
[member="Voph"],

You are correct. They do not negate the force itself. Rather they negate the use of the force. Specifically linked within this sentence "Ysalamiri were furry, lizard-like tree-dwellers about 50 centimeters in length native to the planet Myrkr, most known for their ability to repel the Force by creating a Force-neutral bubble."

Repel is linked to Force Suppression. Which is the direct ability in which they have evolved to use. Force Suppression does not negate the force, but rather negates abilities related to the force. As mentioned here. "As such, it served both to diminish an enemy's Force resistance[1] and to negate a vast range of Force abilities, including but not limited to Force speed, Force valor, Force barrier, Force immunity, Force fury, Inspire, energy resistance, and even battle meditation."

Yes. You are correct. It does not negate the force itself. The force can never truly be removed unless in very rare circumstances such as Force Dead, Wounds in the force, etc. However, Force suppression is the specific ability of removing the effects or abilities of the force. Abilities such as Battle meditation, Inspire, Fury, and are not limited to those. They prevent their usage.

Force sight, is an active ability used by the senses of an individual. It is used specifically through the force. While some species were found to be naturally more advanced in this skill, it was still related to the force, and required active use. Even if it is attached to a relic, the relic would not be able to function in a zone where the force is "suppressed" as the relic itself is tied to the force.

As always, you are more than welcome to keep it as is. However, I find that the strengths and weaknesses that you have listed are vague enough, to be contradicting. Secondry, Void stone don't actually negate the force. They only dampen the force. The secondary quandary of adding the weakness of potential "smokey vision" or "obscured vision" is very much still viable.

I want to say I do enjoy the idea of this immensely. In fact, I have made a relic much like this in the past for a character I no longer play. I enjoy relics or items that are all about simplistic usage for more "mundane" tasks rather than just increasing force potential, or boosting ones "gains" in the force. I just do not want someone to come along asking the same questions I am, and then get this denied should it be reported.

However, this is completely up to you. If you wish to keep it as is, you may. I will pass it off. I am just attempting to provide evidence to my thoughts, and to provide a clearer picture of what potential this can provide.

[member="Vigil Rostu"]

For the time being I'll just archive the sub then. If Force Suppression is automatically powerful enough to completely and totally anull any form of Force Ability, active or passive, regardless of source, this submission serves no purpose.

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
Moved to Factory Archives - If you want to remove from the archives, please feel free to tag [member="Runi Verin"], [member="Laira Darkhold"] or [member="John Locke"].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom