Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Malictopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: A combat pet for a beast master type mercenary character

Image Credit: Loic Muzy

Canon: No (though uses dna from Bilixus , Rathtar and Gree species along with numerous acidic and venomous sources)

Permissions: NA

Links
: Creator, genetic donors 1 2 3

Malictopod1.png

GENERAL INFORMATION

Name
: Cephalopoda Malignum also known as the Malictopod

Designation: Semi-sentient

Origins: Much like the Dynamis cat before it the Malictopod was created in a gene lab on Arkania. Despite being created there the Malictopod isn't really suited to the Arkanian climate due to the extreme frigid temperatures. Many of their parent species having come from worlds that have tropical or subtropical climates the Malictopod tend to prefer more temperate climates with available water though they are hardy enough to resist most climates that are not truly arctic. Their genetic donors hail from Scarif in the case of Bilixius , Twon Ketee , for the Rathar and Gree from their self named homeworld.

Average Lifespan: 50 years (Male) 10 years (Female)

Estimated Population: Semi-Unique 1 adult male specimen exists alongside 10 female specimens. 15 more male eggs exist within cold storage long with 150 female eggs.

Description: The Malictopod is a sexually dimorphic species of cephalopod. Males in their natural state have a central body roughly the size of a human though somewhat more bulky. They can posses anywhere between 6-12 tentacles each around 17 feet in length. They also have a central tentacle that is much thicker and around two feet longer than the others and bearing a bifurcated head Instead the beaks possesses by normal squid and octopus the Malictopod have hidden mouths that can open to reveal terrifying rows of sharp teeth. Each tentacle on a malictopod is tipped with barbs by which it can deliver doses of the many poisons that run through its body. Male Malictopod are capable of growing a hard shell similar to that of a nautilus if they spend a great deal of time underwater but will detach and discard it if forced to spend much time on land. Female Malictopod are significantly smaller than their male counterparts due to extreme sexual dimorphism. A male Malictopod will often be accompanied by a harem of 5-10 females which whom it has taken as mates. Female Malictopods lack the males central bifrucated tentacle.

PHYSICAL INFORMATION

Breathes
: Type One environments (air) as per most lifeforms can also breathe water.

Average Height of Adults: NA

Average Length of Adults: 25 feet from length tentacle tip to the crown of the head (male) 4 feet from length tentacle tip to the crown of the head (Female)

Skin color: Pale white but can change as per an octopus.

Hair color: NA

Distinctions:

Races: NA

Force Sensitivity: Non -sensitive

Strengths:

Master of Poisons

Malictopods are chock full of enzymes that can create all manner of poisons and acids ranging from the deadly to the hallucinogenic. These can be administered in a number of ways. First is the barbs on their tentacles which can inject the poison directly into prey. Second is by spewing forth a cloud of the deadly substance in an airborne form. Airborne clouds tend to be not as effective due to greater dispersion but can hit a wider range.

Camouflaged Lurker

Much like their octopus cousins the Malictopod can change colors to better blend in with its environment. This power isn't perfect and a far cry from the technologies that allow for invisibility but in a pinch it can assist the Malictopod in an ambush.

Trinune brain

This creature's brain is divided into three sectors each capable of taking over the jobs of the other sectors and shutting down facets of cognition should one area become compromised. During normal activity the first sector of the creatures brain is dedicated to thought processing and motor functions. The second constantly scans sensory information to detect paracausal (aka supernatural) changes in the environment and locate their point of origin. The third acts as a safeguard to mental tampering or possession by preternatural forces. Should mental influence be detected all of it will be directed to the third sector of the brain which will then cease operation allowing the other parts to continue on independently. If simply a passing effect such as a mind trick it will resume function as normal once the power is found to be ineffective. A possessing spirit however will be regulated to a cordoned off part of the brain and trapped in a small neural web from which it will have great difficulty detaching and escaping from. Creatures with triune brains are as a rule semi-sentient and capable of complex planning. They also possess parts of the brain directly intended to interface with mechanical devices used for direct commands from handlers but can also easily understand verbal and visual direction as well.

Weaknesses:

Shellshock

Malictopods have issues when dealing with large explosions. A sufficiently close blast will cause them to freeze momentarily. This is a genetic artefact with an as of yet undiscovered source that has been giving Professor Issant no end of grief in locating. Given the continual difficulties the professor has simply decided to leave the species as is in regards to this.

Combustible

Due to the vast quantities of toxins in the Malictopods body it contains a lot of very volatile chemicals. The Malictopod is very easily set ablaze and when that happens it often explodes in a spectacular fashion . This does not help its longevity.

Sufficiently advanced technology

While the triune brain is a marvel of bioengineering skill it does present one large problem. Technology that is sufficiently advanced to create effects with no seemingly probable cause (even to the expanded senses that triune creatures often possess) tends to set their inherent force radar off. This can cause violent outbursts at those who are not their primary targets. They must also be properly contained / sedated during hyperspace travel as it plays havoc with the creatures processing causing it to become intensely paranoid towards anyone it is unfamiliar with.

CULTURE

Diet
: Omnivorous. Can and will eat just about anything thanks to its remarkable tolerance to poison.

Communication: Gurgles , strange eerie wails etc etc

Technology level: NA

Religion/Beliefs: NA

General behavior: Malictopods are lurking creatures of remarkably high intelligence. Though none have been set into the wild it is almost certain that when they are they will start to form harems of creatures with a number of females centered around a central male. Doubtless they will join the rest of the galaxies many cephalopods hiding in space ship and ruin with a sole distinction. The malictopod is driven to hunt those who cause Para causal phenomena breaking the natural order of the galaxy. They will actively seek out and kill force users if left to their own devices. When possible Males will spearhead the attack but if the target is in a confined space females can instead be sent to infiltrate and kill.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Professor Issant's second foray into the creation of genetically engineered hunters. This particular specimen uses an altered bilixus egg as its base. The creation was far more fraught with difficulties than the Dynamis cat as the creature needed to be both immune to and able to produce a vast amount of poisons. This resulted in many of the initial attempts dying due to their own bodily secretions. Eventually a balance was found and the first viable specimen was created. Unfortunately this specimen showed too much of its Gree forebears great intelligence and Professor Issant had to terminate the creature (with use of his Dynamis cats lightning) before it escaped and put its sentience to use. The current model while still being intelligent does not possess the capacity to use machines and replicate human language making it far easier to control through its inherent biological impulses.​

Last edited:
ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ʟɪɢʜᴛ
Hi Verul Issant Verul Issant ! I’ll be reviewing this sub today.

The Malictopods are truly nightmares, I’d hate to come across one ic. The fact that they’re just giant balls of floating poison is beyond terrifying. You’ve done a fantastic job. I just have a few changes needed here to get your sub on the way to approval.

• Image Credit: The page you link too doesn’t actually contain the image you’re using in your sub. After some super intense digging (and I mean like 45 minutes) I finally found the page it came from. I’ve linked it here. It’s by an artist called Loic Muzy. Please make sure you update your image credit with this link.
  • Origins: I’d love to see a link to a planet here alongside what you’ve already written! Much like what I suggested in your Dynamis cat sub, it provides readers with more in-depth information on your awesome sub.
  • Breathes: Again, like your Dynamis cat sub, what you have written isn’t wrong by any means. However, I’d suggest changing this to “Type One” for air. Water is fine just the way it is.
Once these are changed, I can pass this on for approval!

Thanks Andromeda. Sounds like you put a lot of effort into finding that which is much appreciated. I initially took the artist listed in the book in which I found it in but I seem to have gotten it wrong. Made all the rest of the changes so hopefully it should be good to go.

Verul Issant Verul Issant | Andromeda Malvern Andromeda Malvern

This is another well-done Species, very cool, but it has the same thing as the other submission.

1.) Average Length of Adults: Per the template, this actually needs to be in metric.
Average Length of Adults: 25 feet from length tentacle tip to the crown of the head (male) 4 feet from length tentacle tip to the crown of the head (Female)

Otherwise - That's all. Give me a tag when you're ready and I'll get you on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom