Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make SWRP Great Again*

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
*Title not necessarily relevant.

Hi there, suggestion two of the night that I believe only requires minute explanation.

Give Companies the Ability to Control Planets on The Map.

In the Star Wars universe it is a well known staple that some Corporate entities are absolutely and completely massive. This can be seen in the entire prequel trilogy when much of the Confederacy of Independent States is actually made up of huge trade Conglomerates and Corporations that span not only entire planets, but vast expanses of the galaxy. It's obvious in nature that these Corporate Entities supersede governments in some cases and are the basis of government in others, such as Kuat. The very nature of Corporations in Star Wars is indeed much like the Dutch East India Company was in real life, meaning that they seem to take on aspects of Government itself.

As such, I would like to suggest that Corporations, Tier 6 Corporations strictly speaking, be allowed the ability to take over and govern a planet.

"But Chris! That's impossible! A Company can't fend off major factions!"

While I realize the above is certainly true, I would argue that yes, Corporations can indeed fend off Major factions under correct circumstances, just like in Star Wars Companies managed to fend off The Republic(They needed to band together for this but...well nuance is everything). Of course, there is also the fact that technically speaking a company could do this right now, they would simply need to start a Faction, gain 7 members, then apply for Major Faction Status.

However I am proposing more of a special exception. That exception being companies are allowed control of singular planets. Through development whatever else would be deemed necessary a company takes over the control and governance of an independent system(Star on the Map). This Planet is then marked on the Map with a special icon created specifically for companies and given a color much like a Major Faction is given a color. That company then controls that planet much like a Major Faction controls the planets in it's territory. Of course since they are on the map and are 'owned" these planets are subject to invasions. The rules for these invasions would have to be shaped and worked out, but I believe that once again that should come after the concept is at least pushed a stage further.

So now the question comes as to why? Why do I suggest this?

Honestly, I won't deny that I've had a strong hand in the game of companies on SWRP. I've owned several large Tier Corporations own one of SWRP's largest right now, but I genuinely believe that something like this is a staple of Star Wars.

Companies like Kuat, The IGBC, and even the Trade Federation exist and exert complete control over their planets. They are defacto governments of their respective worlds, exerting control and in most cases sovereign rights. In my opinion there are several companies on the board that could do this in their current state, ATC, Silk, Mandal Hypernautics, and probably a few others could easily exert this kind of pressure over even civilized worlds. I think it would add a very unique dynamic to the map and present an opportunity for people to achieve something really great that would require a lot of cooperation, and down the road, strategic alliances and tactics to maintain.

It could be fun and interesting, and honestly pulling it off wouldn't be all that difficult.

So why not just make a faction that is the company?

I mean, I get the want for a special rule. But why over complicate it? Following the normal rules you can still do that sort of stuff. Dominions AMD invasions could just be corporate take overs or lie in the first movie a trade blockade. There's a lot that can already be done without special rules.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
I was actually going to answer that originally in the OP but decided not to.

Under current rules a Major Factiom requires 7 active people, a concept approved by staff, and a good standing to actually be a Major Faction.

To put it plainly, there simply isnt enough interest, want, or diversity to do that with every large company. Furthermore, most companies wouldnt want to control mass expanses of space but just their own system(Kuat for example).

Factions of Corporations bound together have existed before, but they were largely ineffective and werent really like the TF or TU in canon.

This would seek more to emulate canon by allowing individual corporations to exert minute control.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

How do I put this...

The notion that maybe three people should have one of the site's foundational rule sets bent around them agrees with my stomach like a rancid taco.

(Spoiler: It doesn't.)

There are plenty of writers who have put copious amounts of effort and development into owning/leading a planet. Kesh and Panatha immediately come to mind. These writers have never been given special privileges, nor influence over the map game. Neither, for that matter, have minor factions that are composed of several writers working together.

But three-ish people are enough to warrant the amending the base faction and invasion rules that have been pretty solid since day one?

Gonna quote Rosa Parks here:

"Nah."

(Might be paraphrasing there.)

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Isley Verd"]

Those people are 100% welcome to effect their own proposals and ideas that are similar to this. Nothing will change unless you affect that change. If they want abilities like this they can and should lobby for it.

Also Minor Factions can, have, and do effect the map game in a major way; Rebellions.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Then the solution is simple. Make a trade federation that does work. Get all the companies into it, make it about the companies. You listed off enough to meet the minimum of a major faction in your OP.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Darth Ferus"]

The creation of a Major Faction is not what im trying to effect. I could bring a bunch of tier 5-6 companies together and form a Techno Union or Trade Federation rather easily. I could probably generate quite a bit of interest and even make ot succesful, but then I'd be doing exactly what I've been doing for about three years now.

I've created, co-created, and helped run some of the boards most succesful(and not so succesful) factions. Why would I want to do it again?

Why not change things just a little and see what happens? It could be fun or it could end in disaster, who knows, but i certainly think itd be interesting to see it happen.

I for one would love to red and participate in ATC's struggle to Claim Tatooine, or watch Kuat battle for independence, or see Mandal Hypernautics claim Concord Dawn for itself. It would be fun, interesting, and most of all it would be new.

As cool as that would be, I don't see how this would be feasible once it gets to the point where a Major Faction suddenly points to a Company world and says "Mine".

From the word "Go", a Company would already be in-eligible for defending against an Invasion. In this case, the Majority wins, even if your company has somewhat of a sizable enough influence to squat over a planet trying to say "You can't dominion this".

Unless you are a legitimate major faction with members to back you, I don't see staff bending to our wishes of owning singular planets and updating the map with new little colored dots on the map every month.

Unfortunately :/

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Isley Verd"]

Of course its self-serving, most everything is. That doesn't mean it wont benefit others.

Pretty much everything I've ever brought up on SWRP has served some idea that I want to see implemented. That doesnt always mean theyre the best nor does it mean they will come to fruition, but it also doesnt mean i wont express them.

You have every right to your opinion on this matter and I thank you for your input.

I for one would still like to see something like this at least trialed out.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

I think it's kinda silly. I mean, Companies that large already have tons of deals with Major factions. That's how they get promoted. Why do you need a colored dot on the map when you can just say 'Yo, this is mine or I don't sell you stuff' and get the planet anyway, regardless of what major faction holds it?

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

To be fair, even if it was successful and they went major, they'd still need at least seven people or face a recall.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Fatty"]

Thats part of the fun. Some companies quite literally have the support to tale on some major factions, others? Not so much.

To me the map game has always been a survival of the fittest type of thing. Youre either strong enough to defend yourself or you go bye bye. Im not asking staff to level the playing field, im asking it to introduce more players. If those players arent up to the game? Well then thats on them.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

Nothing as I mentioned above. Though such a MF would quickly burn out and likely be recalled.

Darth Ferus said:
even if it was successful and they went major, they'd still need at least seven people or face a recall.
Then they could request to not be put on the map and simply rinse and repeat the process when someone tries to dominion the planet. While the company can't invade another planet, dominion, or take part in anything that a major faction can, they're still able to play the part of a minor faction, rebel, and keep their planet (and potentially hex) free of outside influence.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

That is true, and sounds pretty much like what you want, [member="Alric Kuhn"] . Without leveling the playing field or restricting new members. Want to keep a planet for yourself? Rebel.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Darth Ferus"]

I get where youre coming from, seriously I do, but undeniably theres something intrinsically neat about holding something on the map. Otherwise why do we have one at all? Why do Major Factions dominion and why do people give so much of a damn when theyre invaded and faced with losing it?

Its fun, its part of the game. Its not needed, no, but most everything isnt.

Again this is a suggestion, one that I find neat and would like to see come to fruition. Its not the end all be all of things. If i got my way all the time I'd have gotten a superweapon a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom