Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Planet Makatak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanthos the Snake

The True King of the Rakatans
Name: Makatak

Region: Unknown Regions
System: Makatak System
Suns: One, Arus, yellow star
Orbital Position: Habitual Zone
Moons: None natural, several factories orbiting the planet.
System Features: Uncharted in hyperspace routes.
Coordinates: Upper left Unknown Regions, if where the map started on the X axis was 1 and the Y axis started on the top of the galaxy, it would be 1, 3. Located in the Rakata Archipelago.
(sorry I can't get precise coordinates-the maps won't open on my phone. :()

Rotational Period: About 35 hours

Orbital Period: About 200 days

Class: Terrestrial
Climate: Controlled to a Temperate climate
Gravity: Standard
Primary Terrain: Grasslands, Mountainous
Atmosphere Field: Type I, Breathable
Diameter: N/A
Native Species: None.
Immigrated Species: Rakatan
Primary Languages: Rakatan
Government: Monarchy
Population: 1 million Rakatan
Demonym: Makatakians
Major Imports: Does not import.
Major Exports: Produces technology...for themselves. Trade will happen in the future.

Affiliation: The Infinite Kingdom of Makatak

Major Locations: The capital of Makatak, also named Makatak, is the crown jewel and authority over the planet. Labored upon by Rakatan hands instead of slave labor, which had been done for so long, it took much longer to build. Nevertheless, it is the main city where the outstanding majority of the population resides. Housing a population of about 80,000, the city includes the capital palace, a grand, ornate building where the King and his family reside, and living quarters where the population resides in their separate castes. (I.e.: Warriors stick with warriors, Priests stick with priests, ect.) Various shops and restaurants scatter the city, and a common form of entertainment there is the humble yet efficient gladiator arena. Another building of highlight would be the Hall of Elders, where anyone can watch and participate in public debates (although it is custom for the Priests to do so, it is not unheard of for a brilliant warrior to argue as well.) This forum acts almost as a Congress of sorts; the king frequently visits there, and occasionally, if an argument is particularly convincing, will take action on the subject at hand. A smaller, but still efficient, technological center exists, complete with a crude landing area, used for government or military spacecraft.

Another major location would be the large orbital factories over the planet. Once only a dream for the scattered and barbaric race, study and research have lead to the rediscovery of certain assets of technology deemed primitive to the once powerful Infinite Empire. There are three: one produces spaceships, complete with hyperdrives that have been engineered to not use the Force (I.e.: The common hyperdrive). Another focuses on weapon and armor production, and the last focuses on a very specific subject: creating efficient space travel necessities (navicomputers, communication arrays, life support systems, shields, ect.) The factories themeselves, launched into orbit a couple of hundred years ago, had only been pushed to their full potential until now, as the past regime seeked to use the materials produced for self defense and light trade. But a more militaristic outlook has been given, leading to the output of more military hardware. Each factory contains a military presence and is armed with turrets and disruptor fields, making approach very difficult for an intruder.

Culture

Daily Life: A citizen of Makatak, living in the capital, wakes up and enjoys a breakfast of fish, bread, fruit, and other healthy foods. They then get to work. Warriors train and engage in contests to see who is superior, Priests begin to research and study, Builders build, Fishers fish, ect.
When the sun Arus is at it's highest point is when lunch is. Consisting of fish and rice grains, Rakatans devote the nearly four hour lunch time to eating quickly and going off to various entertainment centers, like the Arena or the Hall of Elders. The people resume work again after lunch, working until sundown, where they can choose to sleep or be out and about if they have no work the next day. There is a night life, with a few bars serving rice wine mixed with fermented berries in a blend the Rakatan are especially fond of. The process begins and repeats again. There are no weekends in the sense that there are days where people do not work; instead, workers can opt to take a day off and relax every now and then.

Society: The people pay homage to their king, who is a just but stern ruler. Life is separated into castes, where the Warrior caste seeks to improve the means of warfare while the Priest caste researches and learns, bringing new technology and knowledge into place. The Builder caste, in absence of slaves, has been rising in population to meet the demands of a growing population. Several other minor castes are present, such as Hunters, Farmers, Miners, ect.

Government: An absolute monarchy, where the king is the head of state and the supreme commander of the military, presides over Makatak. A court of nobles often voice their opinions to the king, but the final decision is up to him for any matter. These nobles are called Elders, and it is considered a high honor to be chosen to be a part of the royal court. Only the best Priests and Warriors can claim to have been in the Hall of Kings, the meeting place for all royal matters, where a hearing is scheduled once a week.
The judicial branch are headed by a subdivision of the Priest caste, the Wise. They handle rare cases of crime and interpret the law, a set of mostly rules and codes that can be changed only by the king.
Under the Wise are the Feared, a sect of Warriors that seek to enforce the law, mostly through strength and strong arm.
The government is efficient, with only one person holding power expediting a lot of bureaucratic nonsense. This allows for the empire to come to decisions quickly and effectively.

Military: An entire caste is devoted to warfare and expansion. They are truly proficient, masters of the craft of killing, and the slow but gradual unlocking of ancient Rakatan secrets can only help.

Technology: While very crude Rakatan technology has been unlocked recently, the majority of things have had to be reinvented, such as weapons, space travel, holograms, communications, ect.

History: Before the fall of the Infinite Empire, several Rakatans saw the forthcoming end and decided to leave, forming a region of colonization called the Rakatan Archipelago. Makatak was one of the planets colonized. While the surrounding planets died out or grew barbaric and wiped each other out, this particular system did not do so, retaining the enlightenment of the Priest caste. Using history and records brought from Lehon, they grew neither wise nor barbaric, retaining their knowledge. That's not to say there was not fighting, however.

The era of thatched huts and kings of city-states came. Warrior kings and wise scholars began to fight, almost following the foolishness of the others of their race, before a particular Rakatan, a mixture of a wise and warrior spirit incarnate, managed to convince the dwindling population that the only way to prevent extinction was to work together. They did so, those two sects, ushering in an era of peace and tranquility not seen in their race in an eternity.

The Netherworld Events did not really affect Makatak. The events that took place were unbeknownst to the Rakatan, although one event did take a major toll on the planet. Thousands and thousands of Rakatan disappeared in an instant, causing the planet to erupt into turmoil, shattering the peace and advancement that had tentatively been moving forward.

Until recently, the planet had kept to themself, not even being contacted since their formation, but a new leader has emerged, one who plans to change this, to break the traditions of isolation and conquer once again. This leader is King Zanthos the Snake, a call to the ancient king who united the warring tribes, as he is a warrior as well as a scholar. Therefore, he commands awe from almost all the Rakatan population, almost seen as a reincarnation of that ancient figure in Makatakian history.

Notable PCs: Zanthos the Snake

Intent: This is a canon planet, made to serve as the headquarters of a new faction and the capital of an empire. That is the intent and purpose.

Link in Wookieepedia: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Makatak_system

[member="Zanthos the Snake"]

First things first, you can have canon planets added to the map via a map thread update. However; you're still allowed to flesh out canonical planets via a planet submission, and seeing as this one lacks many details I'll say it's a good choice for a planet to flesh out...

You've forgotten to add the atmosphere field to the template. Also, please don't remove Diameter from the template itself. I know it's optional, but put N/A for 'no answer' instead.

Zanthos the Snake said:
Population: 1 billion Rakatan
This population number is going to be a problem. Essentially, after the fall of the Infinite Empire the Rakata fell into a dark age and nearly all of them ended up dying off due to war, famine, and the collapse of civilization. Those who did survive--for the most part--regressed to primitive social structures and technology. Thus, even if these ones were luckier, I'd like to say this number needs to be smaller to reflect the struggle of a nearly extinct species to maintain a sustainable population.

I'd suggest anything past a million would be pushing it, without a very good reason.

I'd also ask you to please expand on the major locations. Include more than one and have a paragraph describing each.

Please expand on the culture of this planet, I'd like at least a full paragraph but two would be preferable since this is a canon submission.

I'd like you to expand on their government, add a few more sentences explaining how it works please.

Zanthos the Snake said:
Technology: Fairly advanced thanks to the restoration of Rakatan tomes and technology, which had been forgotten for eons.
Rakatan Technology is not allowed here on Chaos. Although crude variants of it can be submitted to the factory, usage of canonical Rakatan technology is not permitted without permission from the board owner.

Please add another paragraph or two to the history, including how the Netherworld event affected the planet and its inhabitants.

Due to the fact that you're expanding upon a canonical planet, let alone one inhabited by Rakata, we're going to have to put in more effort than usual to see this approved. The more you work with me, the faster we can get this to approval status. I noticed you're newer to the board, so I don't want you feeling discouraged or overwhelmed. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Zanthos the Snake

The True King of the Rakatans
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

It's been a couple of days, so I don't know if you saw that I updated the planet.

Just a friendly reminder in case you missed it. :)

Next time please tell me right away when you've made edits, I don't check a submission unless it's been a while and I need an update.

Your edits look good, but the Netherworld should be reworded to reflect a greater effect on the planet. It was global, and had nothing to do with how obscure or well-known a world was. Nothing was specifically targeted, the galaxy itself was the target. That being said, you take absolutely no losses by saying that it took a lot more than two citizens. :)

Excellent!

So as far as canonical stuff goes, I'd advise you to roleplay this cautiously. Rakata are a touchy subject because of their technology. So don't forget. You have no access to Rakatan technology, you're using the same stuff the rest of the galaxy is. That being said, I see you went so far as you state that they're redeveloping upon galactic standards, which I really like because it puts the Rakatans on this planet into a situation where they're actually behind in some regards.

But before I approve this, did you already request the map update?

Since it's a canon map update request, this submission will fall under 'fleshing out' a canon planet. I feel your edits have been substantial, and that this is plausible for an isolated Rakatan world with a surviving population.

Approved, pending secondary.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Nicely done. One oddity I've noticed though: the planet has a population of 1 million, but 800,000 live in a single city? That seems...implausible.

Is there a zero too many there or something?

Other than that this will be good to go on confirmation of your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom