Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Major Factions, Can I Join You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spoken to a few people about this on Discord, but messages can be difficult to keep track of, so I figured it would be easier to make a post here and tag all the faction owners.

Kinley Pryse is the type of character who would use major galactic events to her advantage, exploiting conflicts and political instability to further her criminal interests. Right now, however, finding opportunities to do that is a little difficult because she isn't a Sith, Mandalorian, Jedi, Imperial, etc. Sure, she can jump into threads as a bounty hunter, but I'm hoping to expand her role beyond that.

Ideally, I'd like Kinley to become one of those characters operating in the background of major galactic events. While everyone else is fighting wars, conquering planets, and battling over ancient relics, she's quietly taking advantage of the chaos to build her criminal enterprise.

What I'm wondering is how best to go about participating in faction threads without actually being a member of those factions.

For example, if I click "Join Faction" to gain access to your dominions, populates, invasions, etc., is it okay for me to participate in those threads even though Kinley isn't technically affiliated with your faction?

What I'm envisioning is primarily BYOO-style participation, with Kinley's activities running parallel to the main storyline. A few examples of what I mean:

  • While the Imperials are invading a planet, Kinley uses the distraction to slip past security and rob a high-value target.
  • While the Sith and Jedi are busy killing each other over an ancient relic, Kinley takes advantage of the fighting to steal one of their ships and sell it on the black market.
  • During a major planetary conflict, she establishes new smuggling routes, steals military supplies, or makes connections with the local criminal underworld.
Essentially, I want her to feel like an active part of the wider galaxy, even if she isn't directly involved in the conflicts driving its major storylines. I also think it could be fun to show how these big galactic events create opportunities for smaller, independent criminal characters. I'm just not sure how to do this, especially if I want to invite other small criminals to join my shenanigans.

I'm just not sure what the preferred etiquette or approach would be from a faction owner's perspective.

Would it be better to:

  1. Create a minor criminal faction and ask permission for that faction to participate in major faction threads?
  2. Create a subfaction within each major faction to represent Black Sun's influence and activities in their territories?
  3. Simply ask permission whenever a major thread comes up that I'd like Kinley to participate in?
  4. Or is it perfectly acceptable to join your faction OOC and participate in threads without Kinley actually being a member IC?
I know factions sometimes offer ally slots, but what I'm describing isn't necessarily an ally role. It's closer to a B-plot running alongside the main storyline. Sometimes Kinley's actions might intersect with the larger conflict, potentially creating opportunities for interaction with faction characters, but most of the time she'd simply be using the galaxy's madness as an opportunity to commit crimes.

I don't want to intrude on anyone's planned storylines or create unnecessary complications for faction owners. I'm just hoping to find a way for an independent criminal character to participate in the bigger picture without needing to join one of the galaxy's major political or Force-related groups.

I'd love to hear how faction owners feel about this and what approach would work best!

Faction owners will be tagged, since I need their permission but if other people have ideas I'm open to hearing them.

Ronhar Tane Ronhar Tane Lorn Reingard Lorn Reingard Darth Strosius Darth Strosius Aether Verd Aether Verd Vren Rook Vren Rook Arris Windrun Arris Windrun
 
senator-palpatine-anakin-skywalker.gif


Try not to cause too much trouble. We’ll be watching you ;)
 
The Mandalorian Empire FO has declined this request. I'd still like to hear from the other factions too though. Either here or on dm.

As our private declining of this idea is now publicly apparent, I do believe sharing the context is important:

At face value. I think it is a lovely idea to have, as you described, criminal b-plots occurring alongside our stories. However, what ultimately led me to say no was your well-established inconsistency on the board. While I know you are confident in keeping up with your private stories, I cannot knowingly have my community give attention to and invest in an idea that is here today and will likely be gone tomorrow.

I do not mean this as a dig or anything negative. In fact, when the day comes that I see that you are more consistent with your ideas on the board, I will be the first to change this no into a hell yes.

I hope you understand and that perhaps some of my other major colleagues will think differently and take you up on this idea.

As always, much love! <3
 
I hope you understand and that perhaps some of my other major colleagues will think differently and take you up on this idea.

As always, much love! <3

Of course I understand boo <3 I only mentioned you guys declined to show the other factions that it is totally okay if they want to as well.

I always appreciate feedback and help from more established roleplayers. Keep being awesome.
 
I talked to Valiens, and he helped me understand that it wasn't fair for me to publicly say that ME had declined the idea. I'm sincerely sorry for wording it that way. I wasn't trying to point fingers or call anyone out, but I can see now how my comments could have come across that way.

So, please disregard the idea. I feel like I put my foot in my mouth and stepped right into the bantha poo on this one.

Again, I'm genuinely sorry. There was no ill intent behind what I said, and I appreciate Valiens helping me see how it could have been interpreted. I completely respect ME and all the factions and Aether Verd Aether Verd I apologize to you as well as the rest of ME if my comment caused anything bad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom