Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Factions Are Now Tier 6 Corporations

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Faction rules currently state that only a Major Faction can roleplay as having a Large Fleet/Army. However, no rule actually exists for how such a logistical powerhouse came to be.

Thusly, I am now recommending to Staff an amendment be added to the Top Rules that states that all Major Faction receive the same privileges as Tier 6 companies. Including the ability to be sited on Factory Subs as a legit Manufacturer. Retaining and maintaining, the ability to actually (produce) as well as roleplay a large fleet or army.

Also, since only 1 player can own a company. I also request that the Major Faction Owner alone (Not his Staff) be declared the sole owner and operator of said company privileges.

(This is a recommendation to Staff.)

I can see where this is coming from but look at this way: The logistics of politics and running a government is one thing, it'd be a bureaucratic mess and thus becomes beneficial to rely on semi-autonomous organizations to handle certain aspects for you, but then again I suppose that's left up to how people roleplay things but it'd really kill a major part of what makes Star Wars such a fun place to basically make companies effectively useless in the eyes of a major faction.

I rather enjoy tier climbing The Primeval Fleet despite having a Major Faction of my own, it creates a challenge and forces me to rely on others which is awesome because it's difficult to find people who align with my own views.

Anja Aj'Rou said:
basically make companies effectively useless in the eyes of a major faction.
This.

The American military may supply the soldiers, but private corporations supply lots of the arms and war materials that they use. I say keep it the same and leave the technology being built up to the corporations contracted to their respective governments.

It's roleplay.

If it ain't broke don't fix it but this idea would kill a lot of roleplay; there's so much going on involving companies. Factions making deals, CEOs supporting elections, and backstabbing their rivals in order to gain control over their industry. If you want to see how greatly a company can affect roleplay I suggest looking at Titan Industries, it's pretty much a prime example of what a roleplay-oriented company looks like.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Darth Arcis said:
The American military may supply the soldiers,
This is all I'm trying to get in writing. The ability for the Major Factions to forge and supply their armies in the absence, (not the abandonment of,) of PMCs. :D

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

I like the idea on paper, but it really would kill a lot of roleplay for the corporate types. Capitalism is what these people breathe and this idea would just press a hand over their mouth.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Darth Arcis"] To request that a Major Faction be elevated to the same status as a Tier 6 Corporation, (The roleplaying equivalent of 1 player), is not what you suggest at all. In fact, it is almost the complete opposite. :D

Just a heads up - this already exists. The only quality of a corporation that you've mentioned as desirable for a Major Faction is the ability to be cited as a manufacturer. From the starship template:

Manufacturer: (Kuat Drive Yards, BlasTech Industries, [Insert Major Faction Name], [Insert Character Name], etc.)

There's nothing stopping a faction from creating effectively a government ran company but that shouldn't elevate it to T6 automatically. Just because the resources and maybe even the manpower exist doesn't mean the developments are there. Facilities need building, brilliant minds need appointing, and more importantly roleplay needs to be done.

Look at it this way. My major faction is a month old, if I was able to do T6 developments off the bat I could effectively build up a massive armament of super crazy warstuff and then suddenly get deleted because I didn't meet the staff requirements. Then what? There'd have been little development but I'd have been left allowed to do it, that could really screw with things because major faction products tend to go somewhere. But if someone spent the time developing, building from the ground up, they could effectively move their company somewhere else and stay afloat.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Jorus Merrill said:
this already exists.
Dear Staff. I want to suggest it in writing on the Top Rules. If Jorus had to define it, it's too hard. I r dumbest member. Link the weak chain. :D

Why not just make it required that a faction hoping to go major must have at least one Company/Corporation to serve as their primary arms/fleet/whatever manufacturer? Not only does this support business, legitimize businesses "in the eyes of major factions", and legitimize faction fleets being spawned on a factions conception, it also adds a touch of realism without making it overbearing.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Fatty"] Insta-spawning Tier 6 corporations with a single owner only loosely tied to a Faction base is not the answer. You're on to something there. But try again with (Tier 6) and (Singe Owner) in mind. Lot's to play with there. You got this. :D

I think you misunderstand what I mean, one of many requirements for companies to advance is to have a contract set up with a Major factions. All those companies looking to grow? All those factions trying to start up?

Boom.

$$$ everywhere and bunch of colorful dots all over the map. (note, exaggeration).

The idea behind it, is that now all these growing companies looking for contracts no longer have to struggle to find someone who wants them, because now EVERYONE wants them.

Not only that, it kinda puts Companies now into a position of power, and limits new factions that are only going to exist for a short time, because they likely have to work extensively with the companies involved in order to prove that they will be a profitable venture to invest in for future development (if companies are smart).

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Fatty"] The privatization of military assets, is not a valid answer. Again, a wise general once said: A private army does not serve the state. A corporation is only as loyal as it's owner.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"] I still believe you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting private armies be made, I'm suggesting a company support whatever fledgling armies are developed in an upstart Major-hopeful faction.

If I understand correctly, your suggestion was the premise that you believed that Major factions needed their fleets and armies validated by turning them into a company, likely for OOC purpose I assume, as in the IC that may just not work at all (ala the late Moross Crusade).

What *I* am suggesting, is that before a faction goes major and insta-spawns a ton of warships out of their buttholes, they have companies do the building and supporting. No where have I suggested that these companies start handing out troops or something like that.

Also it should be clarified that they should only be required to have a company initially on startup, so that in case they get cut off from their company they still exist as a faction, since a Corporation a faction does not make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom