Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Love Interest - 500th Times the Charm Maybe? Need Advice

Throwing my two cents in (not that anyone wants it :p ) just because I was tagged.

I don't have too much different to add beyond what others have said but tossing my experiences out there.

1. I would say the biggest thing is to have an OOC relationship with the writer. I think this is important because you're going to be collaborating with them for years if all goes well. With my love interest writing partners we can be doing anything from sharing GIFs, teasing them about air fryers, or asking what plants we will be putting in our respective gardens. Having an easy rapport makes the RP decisions easier and smoother because you won't be working against one another. I've had to collaborate on the most banal stuff I wouldn't think of just because having that other character tied to yours makes one stop and think (i.e. What is Myra doing if I'm on X planet? I'm joining this thread, are you too? Hey look at this Codex sub for us,etc etc)

2. NPC your family. I've established the Dashiells and will be growing them with another cousin I'll be RPing. In the semi-near future kids for this guy. Definitely don't put out a wide casting call for someone to play your kids or anyone you want a close relationship IC with. If you want someone to bounce off of, find a writer that you trust OOC who wants to help you with that story. It can be hard, I know, as I argue with two of my own characters in a thread but the control and consistency has been worth it. When starting off a family dynasty definitely close ranks at first.

3. Make sure your romantic interest is a main char or very strong secondary. Secondly, it helps if they are somewhat similar (i.e. two Jedi, a politician and a royal,etc) but it doesn't always have to be the case. One of my favorite romances to write has been Xin Boa Xin Boa and Delila Castillon Delila Castillon and the pair are wildly different but work so perfect together. Conversely, this guy and @Myra
Elspeth Arceneau are more similar and it works out amazing cause they have an adorable little romance. Again, its probably because Myra's writer and Xin's writers are amazing and we love to chat OOCly as well.

Long story short, don't give up hope. Start looking at who you chat a lot with on Discord and collaborate with. At the very least, I highly suggest you start thinking about maybe giving Kat an NPC charge (cousin? niece? nephew?orphan?) because RPing this guy has been an incredibly fun ride, its opened up a lot of storylines.

Throwing my two cents in (not that anyone wants it :p ) just because I was tagged.

I don't have too much different to add beyond what others have said but tossing my experiences out there.

1. I would say the biggest thing is to have an OOC relationship with the writer. I think this is important because you're going to be collaborating with them for years if all goes well. With my love interest writing partners we can be doing anything from sharing GIFs, teasing them about air fryers, or asking what plants we will be putting in our respective gardens. Having an easy rapport makes the RP decisions easier and smoother because you won't be working against one another. I've had to collaborate on the most banal stuff I wouldn't think of just because having that other character tied to yours makes one stop and think (i.e. What is Myra doing if I'm on X planet? I'm joining this thread, are you too? Hey look at this Codex sub for us,etc etc)

2. NPC your family. I've established the Dashiells and will be growing them with another cousin I'll be RPing. In the semi-near future kids for this guy. Definitely don't put out a wide casting call for someone to play your kids or anyone you want a close relationship IC with. If you want someone to bounce off of, find a writer that you trust OOC who wants to help you with that story. It can be hard, I know, as I argue with two of my own characters in a thread but the control and consistency has been worth it. When starting off a family dynasty definitely close ranks at first.

3. Make sure your romantic interest is a main char or very strong secondary. Secondly, it helps if they are somewhat similar (i.e. two Jedi, a politician and a royal,etc) but it doesn't always have to be the case. One of my favorite romances to write has been Xin Boa Xin Boa and Delila Castillon Delila Castillon and the pair are wildly different but work so perfect together. Conversely, this guy and @Myra
Elspeth Arceneau are more similar and it works out amazing cause they have an adorable little romance. Again, its probably because Myra's writer and Xin's writers are amazing and we love to chat OOCly as well.

Long story short, don't give up hope. Start looking at who you chat a lot with on Discord and collaborate with. At the very least, I highly suggest you start thinking about maybe giving Kat an NPC charge (cousin? niece? nephew?orphan?) because RPing this guy has been an incredibly fun ride, its opened up a lot of storylines.

I appreciate your advice! Maybe I could go an npc charge and let romance build with Kat if that ever happens. I didn’t even consider that option.

In my experience, one of the greatest dangers in committing to writing a romance with another PC is when you hit the happily-ever-after-zone. I know that I personally start to zone out when everything is just peachy between two characters. So I warn anyone that I am writing this sort of storyline with to expect drama, but also commitment from my side.

It doesn’t have to be drama like the two characters arguing, that can actually make it less desirable to write, because who wants to write about real life…amirite ahaha…aha…ah…ha…aaa hmmmmm, ok then. But the universe has to be conspiring to tear them apart, so that you can write them pulling closer to each other.

The spice of RP’d relationships, by my reckoning, is being willing to have the relationship constantly on the brink due to external forces. Or even, if you are brave, actually writing a break up, and then enjoy the reuniting part of it as well.

Then on the flip side, having someone that is completely on board with the direction and not seeking a happily ever after story.

Write for the moments that they save each other, are reunited with each other, and anything else cinematic.

In my experience, one of the greatest dangers in committing to writing a romance with another PC is when you hit the happily-ever-after-zone. I know that I personally start to zone out when everything is just peachy between two characters. So I warn anyone that I am writing this sort of storyline with to expect drama, but also commitment from my side.

It doesn’t have to be drama like the two characters arguing, that can actually make it less desirable to write, because who wants to write about real life…amirite ahaha…aha…ah…ha…aaa hmmmmm, ok then. But the universe has to be conspiring to tear them apart, so that you can write them pulling closer to each other.

The spice of RP’d relationships, by my reckoning, is being willing to have the relationship constantly on the brink due to external forces. Or even, if you are brave, actually writing a break up, and then enjoy the reuniting part of it as well.

Then on the flip side, having someone that is completely on board with the direction and not seeking a happily ever after story.

Write for the moments that they save each other, are reunited with each other, and anything else cinematic.

I now know why...Brandyn's father told me I wasn't good enough for him and to never speak to him again, they spent five years without talking, it took a disaster to bring them back together, I died, his parents died on my watch, Brandyn killed a guy and is now sitting in prison on my watch....And I might be Sithspawn. scratches head

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah, his ex is way hot lmao.

I like the turn this thread took lulz

gets the poocorn. Go on….

tell-me-more-summer-nights.gif

Last edited:
The noble kids all started as npcs, with the eventual idea to make them into PCs. Who writes them and such can be eventually filled out down the line, and Valery and I decided to write a couple of them ourselves (Vera and Aris are the first two to actually become a PC).

But that also brings up another little bit. Timelines. 13 is the age minimum for a pc character, and 13 is a lot of years for timelines. If that's an eventual route you wanna go, turning one of the kids to a pc to write either yourself or someone else, it's something to talk about with the other writer. Time is pretty fluid and bendy, but for family based rp you're gonna want to talk time at least with whoever you directly involve as spouse/children.

That's all I got to add cause everyone else covered everything else I'd say.

The noble kids all started as npcs, with the eventual idea to make them into PCs. Who writes them and such can be eventually filled out down the line, and Valery and I decided to write a couple of them ourselves (Vera and Aris are the first two to actually become a PC).

But that also brings up another little bit. Timelines. 13 is the age minimum for a pc character, and 13 is a lot of years for timelines. If that's an eventual route you wanna go, turning one of the kids to a pc to write either yourself or someone else, it's something to talk about with the other writer. Time is pretty fluid and bendy, but for family based rp you're gonna want to talk time at least with whoever you directly involve as spouse/children.

That's all I got to add cause everyone else covered everything else I'd say.

Ohhh that’s a good point. Had not considered the timeline. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom