Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice

So i'm rather thin. I've always been small, but I want to gain a little bit more weight. I also do a lot of cardio which kind of hinders that process a bit. However, a friend of mine recommended protein shakes. I'm not all that familiar with them besides seeing other people scarfing them down in the gym.

So I was looking to get some advice from anyone who has experience maybe with the shakes...could probably recommend a brand? Or maybe someone who has a more natural way to remedy this.

Thanks,
Soch.

[member="Sochi Ru"]

Honestly, I don't do shakes often, but when I do, the store I work at sells store brand verisons, so I do that. I'm not super committed to execise, though.

Did your friend give any advice, or just kinda gave the idea and then bailed?

[member="Sochi Ru"]

I used to talk about this with [member="Jacen Cavill"], who's got years of professional background in this kind of thing. He shows up now and again, and he'd be your best source.

*summons*

From what I can recall, your best bet is replacing the waste calories of your diet with a lot of lean protein, so long as you keep up the exercise. That said, it's been quite a while.

My wife was the same way - I got her on Syntha-6. *shrugs* Best to mix with Banana.

At 5'9 about 5'10, she was like 112 to 114 lbs and she stopped taking it about 120-122ish. Balanced meals, lots of water and she's about 128 which is ideal.

Just my take and personal experiences.

[member="Sochi Ru"]

EDIT - Also eating 6-8 times a day (Small meals as opposed to 3 big meals) is better for you and weight management when doing shakes.

Your standard protein shakes contain either Whey, Casein, or a mixture of both proteins. Most body builders take Whey (which is derived from milk) because it's fast acting. Casein, egg based, is slower processing and reducing the destruction of proteins as it goes. I've had good experience with AST Vp2 , but it was something I would take either pre or post work out (most of the time post).

Cardio reduces large mass muscle building, as do workouts that emphasize repetition over increasing in weight. I, personally, have had the best experience with body weight workouts and avoiding the gym (people tend to do the excercises wrong or hurt themselves). For protein shakes, if you have trouble with taste, I would suggest muscle milk. It's good flavor and easier to get down and if you have a costco membership, you can get a bundle pretty easy.

edit: Optimum Nutrition Gold is very good as well. But the important thing is for slow consumption of the protein. If you consume it all at once, you get one chance for absorption, instead of a slow trickle which more conducive to anabolism

[member="Sochi Ru"]

Be a true american and eat like there's no tomorrow! (Actually, I feel your pain... I've been described as anything from a twig to a pole. To being affectionately called chicken legs by my grandfather)

[member="Sochi Ru"]

Reverance said:
Your standard protein shakes contain either Whey, Casein, or a mixture of both proteins. Most body builders take Whey (which is derived from milk) because it's fast acting. Casein, egg based, is slower processing and reducing the destruction of proteins as it goes. I've good experience with AST Vp2 , but it was something I would take either pre or post work out (most of the time post).

Cardio reduces large mass muscle building, as do workouts that emphasize repetition over increasing in weight. I, personally, have had the best experience with body weight workouts and avoiding the gym (people tend to do the excercises wrong or hurt themselves). For protein shakes, if you have trouble with taste, I would suggest muscle milk. It's good flavor and easier to get down and if you have a costco membership, you can get a bundle pretty easy.
Agreed. Used to use Muscle Milk alot. *shrugs*

Yeah his statement about the Gym is completely spot on.

Yngvar

Mathematician & Biologist
[member="Sochi Ru"]
Shakes won't help you gain weight. I've also been in a position where I needed to gain weight (only so I could put on muscle). I gained 10kg fairly quickly. It's simple, and cardio shouldn't effect it too much. Have a meal every 3 hours. It doesn't have to be something unhealthy such as McDonalds or whatever-have-you, I have my own brand I make that is made of onions, carrots, chicken, bacon, and everything good. If you want the recipe, I can give it to you. It looks like hell but tastes like heaven, and very VERY healthy.

Thanks I appreciate all the feedback, I look into those brands you mentioned [member="Reverance"] and [member="Aaralyn Rekali"]

Also, [member="Yngvar"] it sound yummy definitely. But I think i'll pass my dear. If all else fails though, I will be returning to you for that recipe.

[member="Sochi Ru"]

whey protein and rice. chicklets. baby geese. Swedes. Bourbon. Paper. Plastic bottles. Wallets. Pocket knives. Free sugar packets (the packaging gets you the mass you want). Disk skip fixer from Gamestop. Action figures (Star Trek worked the best for me). Teddy bears from your childhood.

Sacrifices to Satan work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom