Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Lessons of Mimicry (RTL)

OOC: The thread is open to anyone interested in Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun giving a workshop on Mind Trick and related abilities!

With Rishii behind him, Pyeth could focus on new horizons. Although still an exile, he had left his home in a better place than he had found it, fulfilling his oath to family and friends. The Rimward Trade League was his flock now, and he would someday have to protect them and the values of the Jedi his order upheld. Pyeth was blessed to have Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun as a mentor, and it was about time he took his training and study seriously so that when that day came he had the tenacity, and wisdom to help his allies overcome any challenge that presented itself.

With that in mind, Pyeth had done two things. The first was to speak with Nadira, a fellow Rishii they had met on the planet who was knowledgable of Trispzest, to teach him, an exotic fighting style favoured by species capable of flight. In return for their help, she had agreed to help the Rimward Trade League deal with New Horizon and function as a diplomatic link to the Rishii should they need it and by extension, help teach Pyeth, and other flight-capable Jedi and other personnel Rishii martial arts. The sessions were intense, and Pyeth had visited the medical bay on a couple of occasions to deal with everything from cuts and scrapes to a broken wing.

Nadira traced Pyeth's steps walking side-by-side down the hallway, talons clicking in unison. "How is the old man treating you?" She asked, as she often did. It had long since occurred to Pyeth that Nadira didn't yet trust Tiland, "Playing mother hen again?" Pyeth countered bemused. She mimicked a growl at that.

"Sorry," He chirped apologetically, "No. Why do you keep asking? You've done more harm than he has." He added, gently raising the wing.

"I know his kind. They aren't known for their kindness." She sighed, causing Pyeth's ear-tufts to peak in interest. "Well, whatever stories you heard they certainly do not apply to him. I have not known a kinder soul."

"Sorry. What training are you doing today?" She nodded as they drew closer to the meditation chamber where Pyeth had arranged to meet Tiland and other like-minded Jedi.

"Well. I've been studying and discovered some Jedi can project images into the minds and thoughts of others. I thought that with our ability to mimic sounds, and voices, it might be a natural talent." Pyeth chirped excitedly.

"Sounds reasonable!" She agreed, "I'll leave you and your friends to it. I'll see you tonight for lunch."

With that, she slowed and soon retreated the way they had come. Left alone, Pyeth entered the meditation chamber giving Tiland a wave with his good wing. "Master Tiland, where do you want me?"

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Cambria Zadira Cambria Zadira Sinn Shak Sinn Shak Pretri Mapore Pretri Mapore Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane Calix of Thyrsus Mi'la Undari Mi'la Undari

"Come on in," Tiland said, gesturing to a series of low cushions arranged around the meditation room. "Sit wherever you would like. Location will be less important for everyone today, at least initially."

He let that last statement remain cryptic to keep people guessing as others might trickle in.

"I understand Rishii are quite skilled at mimicry, correct?" He considered that thoughtfully, interlacing his fingers. "I can see how that could be of great versatility in conjunction with the many arts of mentalism."

smalldivdark.png

Corbin was slightly uneasy walking through the Chapterhouse without his armor. Sure, this was his home city,​
but he had never actually been to this building before, and he would be meeting new Force-users. Force-users who were not Jensaarai...
Still, he wasn't that uneasy. Corbin was generally in a positive mood. Always, when connected to the Force.​
Master Hakilah had always found that to be rather odd, but it wasn't a bad thing, so it was never an issue. No, the only time Corbin had ever truly felt negative emotion was when he'd felt that strange warping in the Force all the way from Tython... and had temporarily been cut off from the Force. Corbin suppressed a shudder. He hoped nothing like that ever happened again...
The protocol droid at the information desk had instructed him on how to find the room in question. He​
probably could have found it anyway. Through the walls, he could see the Force Auras of two strong Force-users. Force-sensitives had a stronger Force Aura than regular people, with those who develop and train their connection to the Force have even stronger Auras. Corbin headed towards the room, his slight unease giving way to mild excitement. As he approached the doorway, he could hear voices ( Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki & Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun ) speaking.
Corbin entered the room, and both occupants turned toward him. He almost constantly had his Force presence​
masked - so much that he used it without even thinking about it - so they most likely had not noticed him until he actually entered the room. He bowed to each in turn; a wizened Anzat and what Corbin guessed was a Reshii. He'd never actually seen one in person before.
Hello, my name is Corbin Vasher. Veino Garn Veino Garn Recommended this class to me, and I am always eager to learn something new.

Last edited:
Sitting cross taloned he replied, "We can. That's why my species could pick up language so quickly, although many who first encounter us are either perplexed by it or think we are mocking them."

He was leaning back, using his tail for support, when an unforeseen presence stepped into the room. Not a face he had seen before, Pyeth instinctively cooed, "Hello. Did you want to join us, Master Tiland was about to give me some lessons." He glanced at his Master, "Assuming this is an open invite?"

Perhaps he was getting too used to the communal sessions which contrasted the one-to-one sessions he had with his former masters. Honestly, he couldn't say he missed them, it was nice seeing new faces and some familiar ones too.

Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher | Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki

"Ahh," Tiland replied, considering with his head tilted to one side. "That is a very useful skill, and I can see it would have a myriad of uses when connected to illusions."

He paused as another entered, this one certainly a Jensaarai, noticeable not only by the distinctly faint presence within the Force that they often carried with them but also by the uneasiness they felt at being outside of armor, most of them anyway. However, Veino had worked around that by always wearing his armor under his clothes.

"Welcome, come on in," Tiland said with a smile. "I am Tiland Kortun. And yes, Pyeth, we do not have enough Jedi masters with the skills and experiences to train everyone individually, much to our chagrin. But we hope that may change."

Tiland settled himself comfortably in his chair and let out a slow breath. "Today we are talking about the abilities of the mind that the Force can offer. The old, well-known Jedi mind trick comes to mind, but it is only one out of many possibilities. Roughly speaking, we refer to this category of skills as mentalism, and it is every bit as complex and deep as the most ardent duelist could ever hope for. However, it also bears a great many ethical issues that arise when it comes to, ultimately, messing with the minds of others."

He pursed his lips, considering. "In many ways, mentalism is more aligned with the Sith than the Jedi, or even the neutral of the Jensaarai. The Force can bend minds to the wills of a powerful wielder, but it is a perversion of our gifts to do that, and irreparable harm nearly always accompanies that. Minds are more fragile than we like to consider, typically. Somewhat safer, however, is the field of illusions, although it is more temperamental. Any questions so far?"

"Welcome, come on in," Tiland said with a smile. "I am Tiland Kortun. And yes, Pyeth, we do not have enough Jedi masters with the skills and experiences to train everyone individually, much to our chagrin. But we hope that may change."
So, Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun was indeed a Jedi Master. Corbin had never met a Jedi in person before. Sure, there were a few around - the Rimward Trade League, based out of Yumfla, had quite a number of Force-sensitives. But Corbin had never had any reason to interact with them until now. He'd pretty much only been around other Jensaarai, whether learning their core Force abilities, training in their combat styles, or studying various subjects at the Yumfla Polytechnical Institute. Other than that, he was training Mandalorian ways with his father, with the occasional Force lesson from his mother - the ones she was willing to teach. Dathomiri Witches were pretty guarded with their secrets, and some habits die hard. She claimed there for secrets he just would be better off not knowing. Corbin had a real thirst for learning, so he couldn't see why knowledge in itself would be a bad thing, but he loved and respected his mother and never pressed the issue.
"Today we are talking about the abilities of the mind that the Force can offer. The old, well-known Jedi mind trick comes to mind, but it is only one out of many possibilities. Roughly speaking, we refer to this category of skills as mentalism, and it is every bit as complex and deep as the most ardent duelist could ever hope for. However, it also bears a great many ethical issues that arise when it comes to, ultimately, messing with the minds of others."
He pursed his lips, considering. "In many ways, mentalism is more aligned with the Sith than the Jedi, or even the neutral of the Jensaarai. The Force can bend minds to the wills of a powerful wielder, but it is a perversion of our gifts to do that, and irreparable harm nearly always accompanies that. Minds are more fragile than we like to consider, typically. Somewhat safer, however, is the field of illusions, although it is more temperamental. Any questions so far?"
Corbin thought for a few seconds, then raised his hand. The Jedi Master nodded for Corbin to speak. "We Jensaarai do tend to lean more toward neutral, but it's more about utility. Ballistakinetics, Force Concealment, it's mostly about what is useful. The Force is seen as a tool. But to me, the Force feels like a Friend. A Friend that will always be there for me, always pick me up when I'm down. I want to know more about the Force. I want a deeper connection. That's why I'm here. I was born with a particular gift, especially for Illusions, particularly when it comes to bending light or shadow. But I want to learn more than just the practicality of it."
Corbin paused for a moment. He might technically already be a full Defender, but he in no way considered himself a master of the Force. But was anyone really truly a master? "I will learn whatever you are willing to teach me."

"Ah," Tiland said, nodding as Corbin spoke. "Excellent, yes. I hvae known many Jensaarai in my time. And they are all quite thoroughly... practical." A smile twitched at the edges of his mustache.

"Seeing the Force as a friend is a deeply helpful perspective, especially regarding mentalism and illusions. It is much subtle and rarely as directly useful as the more utilitarian uses."

He tapped his fingers together for a moment. "In many ways, this is more like... persuading the Force."

"I know that feeling," Pyeth replied to Corbin, "Before I met Tiland I was using the Force to heal others, but not because I wanted to. It was a tool that I could take advantage of." He admitted.

Persuading the Force?

He considered these words carefully, wondering how one could effectively communicate with the Force. To this day, Pyeth's command of the Force was instinctual. A reactive response to the world and pressures around him, the most advanced technique of healing others left him physically and mentally exhausted. He lacked control. This would require time and dedication to overcome.

"You mean having a dialogue? How is that possible without hours of meditation?" He asked, interested to hear more about Tiland's insights.

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun | Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher

Tiland leaned back in his seat, smiling faintly as his two students conversed. To do what he had suggested was not easy, nor was it always possible in every situation.

"Who said it was possible?" Tiland replied, his eyes twinkling. "Meditation can be a state of being as much as it can be an active choice. But in this case, it is more... flexible."

He paused for a moment to pour himself a cup of tea, considering how to best explain it. "Illusions, suggestion, mimickry, even the Jedi mind trick are all powers of suggestion rather than action. The sentient mind is a powerful, complex thing and does not easily bend to foreign influence. While such things can be done, it is likely to utterly break the person it is being used on. As such, it is something only used by the Sith. In most cases, such a thing requires far too much raw power anyway. Rather..."

Tiland took a sip of tea. "We can use suggestion and let the mind fill in the rest of the details. To create a fully realistic illusion is impossible, at least from scratch, although memories can be projected outward to be seen by others."

"'Who said it was possible?' Anything is possible, regardless of what people say. Many say what Force-users are capable of is impossible. I do agree that meditation is more of an active choice. I never really cared for sitting to meditate. I've always​
tended to learn best if I was active. Aerobic strength training, slow movement martial arts, those kinds of things are a form of meditation for me." Corbin paused for a moment. "Creating a fully realistic illusion is impossible, you say?" He drew in the Force and weaved light. He bent it into the shape of a person. Standing before the three was the exact image of Veino Garn Veino Garn . It looked lifelike and not translucent at all. "I think it's realistic enough. Though, I suppose it isn't fully realistic, as I have not mastered how to bend sound enough to mimic voices. I can basically only block sound currently. And, of course," He waved his hand through the illusion, "it is completely intangible. I have heard it was possible to make tangible illusions, though. If I could somehow master both of those abilities, I could indeed create a fully realistic illusion. Anything is possible."

Ah, the confidence of youth. Tiland suppressed a smile at Corbin's demonstration but gestured with one hand towards the ground.

"Look at where the feet meet the ground. Veino, despite his lean build, is much denser than an illusion, so there's no sensation of weight resting upon the ground. The most successful illusions have historically been Sith using them to create battle fleets. The lack of gravity, extreme distances, and energy-based weaponry can hide the flaws of manipulating light more effectively," he paused for a moment, considering. "It's certainly as good as a hologram, but there are more illusions than sight and sound."

One finger tapped his nose. "Scent is a big one, the impression of weight, the subtle movement of breathing, and the hiss of air through nostrils. And in this case, it lacks Veino's presence in the Force."

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun
Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki
"Look at where the feet meet the ground. Veino, despite his lean build, is much denser than an illusion, so there's no sensation of weight resting upon the ground. The most successful illusions have historically been Sith using them to create battle fleets. The lack of gravity, extreme distances, and energy-based weaponry can hide the flaws of manipulating light more effectively," he paused for a moment, considering. "It's certainly as good as a hologram, but there are more illusions than sight and sound."

One finger tapped his nose. "Scent is a big one, the impression of weight, the subtle movement of breathing, and the hiss of air through nostrils. And in this case, it lacks Veino's presence in the Force."
Corbin considered this for a moment. Once pointed out, it was actually quite obvious. His illusion of Saarai-kar Garn was more like a solid ghost than an actual living being. Of course, his natural Force Sight could see right through it regardless, but now he knew key details to look for with his physical eyes. "Hm... Movement and sound of breathing shouldn't be too difficult. I might can give an approximation of weight by giving a Push downward on the floor. Would be a little more difficult to maintain, but practice will help there. I do not know how to mimic scents. I'm not of any species that relies heavily on smell, so it wouldn't have even been something I would have considered. And I do not know how to imitate his Force presence, though non-sensitives wouldn't be able to sense that anyway. I can, however, erase my own to match." He then completely erased his own Force presence and became a Force Blank. He morphed his illusion to look like himself, carefully adding in the minor details of breath movement. He held a gradual Push downward on the floor to add some weight and even created a shadow for it. "Doing all of this is a bit of a strain right now, but I think I can work on that. But I still can't do anything about the smell. Any advice there? Not to mention I still need to learn creating sounds, not just masking them."

Sound came naturally to Pyeth, their had been occasions in the past where he abused Mimicry to bypass securities.

With Corbin's commentary, he wondered, what was it that made sound so difficult for Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher , or any other sentient for that matter.

Overall, he thought that the illusion was quite good. Enough to fool most people at a distance, and it made him feel a sense of envy.

"Perhaps I can assist with the sound, if your able to share some of your expertise?" Pyeth suggested, turning his head to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun .

"Where would you begin Master?"

Tiland tilted his head, considering as they spoke. They were decent workarounds and good attempts at bypassing some of the shortcomings of illusions. It was a partial field, to be sure. It was hardly perfect, but then neither was technology.

"There's two routes for sound..." Tiland said slowly. "One is by imitation, which will challenge humans and humanoids. It is not a natural skill and one that can be learned from non Force sensitives. One could perhaps theoretically attempt to manipulate sound waves."

"The other method is to use the Force to persuade them that they are hearing what they want to hear, which can be much more challenging. It is very slippery that way, at times."

Corbin dispelled the Illusion of himself, along with the Force Blank. It was a bit tiring. "If you'll excuse me..." He did a handstand, balancing without any aid from the Force. IT was a lot easier to do with no armor or training weights. He started doing pushups. "This helps me clear my mind when it's over exerted.
"So, basically Illusions of any sensory can be either physical or mental. Stimulate a sense or stimulate the mind into that sensation. Can't say I'd be particularly fond of purposefully affecting someone's mind, but it might be useful. I am willing to learn, at the very least. But I also want to learn to perfect my Illusions without needing to affect the mind. Maybe Cousin Pyeth could help with sounds. I may be a different species, but if it has to do with the Force, I'm confident I can learn it. And I can already silence sound. Theoretically, it shouldn't be too far from altering or creating sound. Not sure how I'd handle the smell without affecting someone's mind. Actually, I'm not sure how to do smell when my sense of smell is only above human average."

He continued his pushups, never breaking his rhythm.

Pyeth watched Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher , cocking his head sideways as the man asked for space. Taking a few short steps back, he began the most peculiar ritual he ever seen.

"I do not care to influence them, only distract and confuse. I understand from study many Jedi have abused?" He looked to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun uncertain if that was the correct wording, "This ability."

Now smell, that was a challenge. Humans weren't known for their sense of smell, but it was certainly superior to his own. However, as a doctor's assistant aboard a freighter he had studied the species extensively and recalled that smell and taste were interwoven and both were interpretations of the brain.

"I think I know the solution." Pyeth answered, "At it's most basic level, you either stimulate the amygdala or the hippocampus. The latter would require us to know which scents and tastes are familiar to the target. The prior we could use to create our own, but I don't expect that to be as effective.

To that end, it's a case of control. Having the ability to target and trigger certain parts of a targets mind. This might be simple process for a animal, but I expect many sentients aware of this can create natural barriers. Like our force aura, or complex surface thoughts."

Pyeth looked again at Tiland his ear tufts raised in excitement. "Unless, your simply imparting your own experiences upon them. You could project those experiences, but that would also mean the opposite is true."

He felt his mood dampen, this technique wasn't simple manipulation. It was rewriting realities, something that could topple Empires and forcibly extract information.

Pyeth took a seat trying to absorb and process the weight of this information. "People have done horrendous things using this. Haven't they?"

"Perhaps so, certainly," Tiland nodded as Corbin spoke. "You're beginning to understand why these are deeply complex skills. Usually, those who rely on these skills specialize in this. And yes, you are correct- you can either manipulate the physical world or affect the mind. Both are fundamentally different applications with their own risks and rewards. Using the Force, for example, does not affect some species- Toydarians, Hutts, Epicanthix, Falleen, just to name a few. And even in other species, any particularly strong-willed individual or someone trained against the Force can be immune to it."

As Pyeth spoke, Tiland nodded, "Yes. These are easily abused and horrific things have been done with these abilities, both in the name of personal gain and the name of aiding the greater good. And yes, the hippocampus and amygdala seem like effective ways of manipulating others."

At the last words, Tiland let out a slow breath, considering. "You are correct. Experiences and mentalism are indeed a two-way street. It can run both ways, especially in the mind of a skilled practitioner of the Force."

Pyeth cast a glance at Master Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun , more uncertain of himself than when he walked through the door. He would leave the lesson with more questions than answers, but such was the path of the Jedi.

The Force was, by it's very nature mysterious which made him uncomfortable. He much preferred to know what he was getting into.

"I may have overstepped in my earlier offer, mimicry is innate to my people." He confirmed, "Having said that, I have heard other species succeed. Perhaps, there is something I could teach you. Cousin... Corbin?"

Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher

"And species will play a significant role in this part," Tiland agreed, considerably, "Not just in your inherent abilities- the way Rishii can mimick almost any sound or voice perfectly, but how they interact with their senses and their cognitive interactions with external stimuli."

He closed his eyes for a moment, thinking. "In many ways, it is a game of psychology. What do they expect to hear? What do they expect to see? What do they not expect? How can you create an illusion that will hint at what they are thinking of and will let them fill in the details themselves?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom