Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning the Ropes

After @Philip J. Halen's Senate outburst and subsequent leaving of the chambers, Jack followed the man out into the hallway.

"Former Interim...Acting Interim...Chancellor...fellow?" he asked. With a small bow from the waist Jack continued, "Senator and Captain Jack Sparrow, strangely the Senator of Kashyyyk. I know, very odd. Still." He motioned broadly behind him with one hand. "Excellent speech back there. Identifying a Sith, taking these lackadaisical politicians to task, calling out Mr. Harkness in particular. I'm a fan." He pressed his palms together. "I was wondering if I might ask you some questions, being that I am totally unfamiliar with Senate politics, yet at the same time don't wish to do a disservice to my constituents?"

Halen chuckled as he turned to face the Senator... Captain... Person.

"Weren't you one of the ones who were running for Supreme Chancellor in my place?" he asked, cocking his head curiously. "While I am happy to answer any questions to help any Senators that actually want to do something here for the Republic, I do have to ask... If you had no idea what you were doing, why run? Why risk the Republic, the Senate, and yourself in such a fool idea?"

@[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Jack smiled, putting a hand over his heart. "Because I'm a man of ideas, mate. Ideas methinks would make the Republic a better place for everyone, not to mention raising its credibility and standing in other parts of this great, wide galaxy. Because I've listened to the others who are also running, and I think many of them are self-promoters with private agendas. Because at least one of them is a Sith."

Jack paused for a breath before continuing. "What I don't know is how to get anything done in there. It seems as if one person says something that seems to make a bit of sense, then others raise their voices in protest, then others chime in as well, until the spirit of the original motion is lost like smoke on the wind. If I'm not the man for the Chancellor's job, and I do believe I am, then as long as I at least continue to serve as Senator I'm going to need to learn how to deal with these career politicians. I was hoping you might provide some insight into how not to the entire experience into a disaster, or worse, a series of shouting matches. I don't like shouting matches. They make me thirsty."

@Philip J. Halen

Halen chuckled a bit. "Sadly, it's impossible, my friend" he said. "The Senate are filled to the brim with egotistical biggots with their own agendas who want nothing more then power to themselves, instead of power to the people, power to the Republic. This is why I was so passionate about running, and trying to make a difference"

"Alas... All you can do is be patient. Don't give up. If you believe in it, make it happen. Everything is going to have opposition, even good ideas will have idiots barking up your tree to bring it down because they didn't think of it, or because it makes you look better then them"

@[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom