Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Late Nights

AP1Zn0e.jpg

Coruscant Senate Building
Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

"Ms. Provost?"

"Ms. Provost."

"Hm? Yes, sorry. What is it?"

"It's ah, getting late. Don't you think you ought to retire for the evening?"

"Oh… N-no, just a few more things to wrap up, is all. You go on, I've kept you long enough."

"The work isn't going anywhere, Senator. It'll be ready for you when you return tomorrow."

"Really, don't worry about me. I'm almost done. Go on."

"But-"

"Go on. Goodness. I swear, you're as stubborn as me," Sonya chuckled, finally waving off her aide to go and enjoy the rest of the night for themself. It would help her retain a bit more focus to power through her remaining work as well. It was getting late, but long hours were increasingly common for the Senator of Montitia. There was always something to do, something to strive towards. And she seemed to live off the adage of never putting off till tomorrow what can be done today.

Becoming a Senator hadn't been quite the baptism by fire Sonya was nervous of. She had come it at a time of relative quiet (at least by Senate standards), leaving her to skulk around the dinner parties and galas with little fanfare, absorbing the details and the functions of day-to-day life among her peers. The initial chatter around her election had faded, if it had been there at all. Montitia was a minor planet on the edge of Alliance territory. Few had a reason to pay attention. But only for now, if Sonya would have any say in the matter.

She finished up her last batch of paperwork, sparing a glance out the window of her office at the now sunless horizon of Coruscant. Dark, but ever illuminated by the sea of city lights that spanned the entire planet. Sonya stood up and left the room, walking down the hall in quiet contemplation, accompanied only by the rhymthic tap of her boots against the floor, "Good night," She said to a passing janitor, moving past to see another office with the lights still on. The Alderaan delegation: Alicio Organa. A name she had heard of, and made a mental note to one day finally introduce herself to.

No time like the present.

Sonya lightly rapped the door with her knuckles to announce herself, "…Excuse me? Senator Organa?" She spared a peek in, "I hope I'm not interrupting anything…?"

AP1Zn0e.jpg

SENATE BUILDING
CORUSCANT

Alicio's office was less ornate than some senators could boast.

The blinds to his balcony were covered, letting small pinpricks of light from passing speeders haunt the walls. The only constant source of light was a cozy lamp, bathing the room in warm light, darkness hiding in the corners of the room the shaded light couldn't reach. A figure draped in a black cloak sat behind a solid wood desk, typing on a few datapads at once, juggling his attention between them.

One was concerning reports on the Alliance/Empire border. The tensions on that front were chasing families out of their homes, and further into GA territory. There was only so much he could do to help them, but he did his best to organize some kind of relief response with House Organa. Perhaps he would have to go himself, to organize a proper evacuation. Another datapad held rumor upon rumor of an Order of Sith emerging from the shadows in the Kathol Outback. He wasn't a warrior, but it was the duty of every member of the Assembly to be as informed as they could be on current events. And what he had been informed of was... ghastly. No other word could describe the rumors.

His last datapad, mostly discarded to the side as he turned his attention between the other two, contained a list of florists in New Aldera. While certainly the least serious of the three issues, the conundrum of finding the right flowers for his and Amani's wedding had been annoying, in it's own way.

Grey eyes shot up from the datapads as Senator Alicio Organa heard the knock at the door.

"…Excuse me? Senator Organa? I hope I'm not interrupting anything…?"

"That would be me," the Count offered back, forcing a good-natured smile. "It's fine, I was just... burning the midnight oil." He stood slowly, reaching a hand across his desk to shake. "Alicio is fine."

"Senator... Provost, right? Montitia."
He sat back down, gesturing at a chair across from him. "I'm glad to see I'm not the only night owl around here."

"What brings you to my office?"

- Sonya Provost Sonya Provost -

Last edited:
"That much is evident," Sonya grinned and exchanged hands, "Very well, Alicio," She could respect the lessened professionalism. It showed a sense of humility in her eyes. He also managed to piece together her identity himself, "You've done your homework."

Sonya sat down in the chair Alicio offered, pushing a few locks of bright red hair back, "Not like I've got much waiting for me at home," She chuckled, "Might as well get some work done, hm?" He was quick to inquire about her reason for stopping by, and Sonya shrugged innocently, "Just wanted to make introductions. For all the paperwork I've accomplished, I've slacked off getting to know my fellow senators."

"...And admittedly most of the ones I've met don't inspire great confidence,"
She added flatly, waiting a beat before continuing, "You're new to the position, aren't you? Relatively speaking, anyway. How has your first term treated you thus far?"

"You've done your homework."

Sometimes literally. He'd made himself some flashcards of senator's names and faces, just so he'd be prepared for times like this. But Sonya Provost was a special case. She'd won her seat running against a corporatist. A rare, valuable skill to possess.

The Alderaanian senator simply nodded, gently placing his datapads to the side.

Not much waiting at home for her? When he was living alone, his apartment had been just as uninviting. "Fair," was all he could say, before giving her a half-smile. "In that case, it's good to meet you, Senator Provost."

Her continued thought was also entirely relatable. His smile grew in sympathy. "I understand the feeling," he offered, before continuing his thought. "My term has had it's... ups and downs. Learning opportunity after learning opportunity." he said diplomatically, tilting his head back and forth with the words. "For one thing, Coruscant took some getting used to. So much noise here. So much to do." He grinned knowingly.

"I helped establish the medical fleet, so I suppose I've been able to do some good." It was a quiet good. The flotilla, put forward by Alicio in his first senate meeting, made up of volunteered and governmentally-funded ships, had been moving around the galaxy, out of the spotlight, helping war-torn worlds onto their feet once more. "But I find myself unable to do as much good as I'd like. And that has been... vexing."

One failed bill in particular burned in his mind, but he didn't voice it.

"How has senate life treated you so far?" Sonya was the first senator the Count had met that was newer than himself. He was curious of her perspective. "I know the paperwork can be a little intense, the first few weeks of office."

"Please," The senator dipped her head, a faint smile drawing across her face, "Sonya is fine."

She nodded along intermittently as Alicio spoke, finding the results to be generally similar to her own, "That there is," Sonya said in regards to Coruscant's magnitude, "I'm afraid the hustle and bustle here is a bit too familiar for my tastes…" Montitia was a planet of curious extremes, one such being the megacities where Sonya grew up.

"That's right," She remarked with some recognition. Alicio wasn't the only one to do his research, "Your debut on the floor, was it not? An impressive showing, given that. In my opinion, anyway," And a noble goal, even if it was out of the limelight. Which, to an extent, made it all the more commendable. It wasn't a flaunt of influence or reputation. It was simply to help. As the Count continued, her eyes glimmered, "Indeed…"

Sonya studied him for a few silent moments, before answering, "Busy, yes. Though not in the ways I'd like to be," She sighed, grazing her thumb against her opposite palm, "I didn't run for office to hide behind a desk, making phone calls and reading papers all day, right?" There was another pause, before Sonya leaned back in her seat, "Why did you run?"

Alicio nodded, a private smile on his face. "Sonya, then."

The Count didn't know much of Montitia, save that it's had a strong corporate presence for years. He nodded once, wondering what it would be like to grow up in the enormous cities of Coruscant or Montitia.

Sonya had heard of his performance in the senate. Alicio frowned a little, a hand running through his dark curls. "Queen Faith Organa's parting gift to me from the Senate. It was... very stressful to work on." He huffed a little, remembering when he'd heard the topic at that weeks senate meeting was going to be his. "My aide and I had a few sleepless nights to put together the proposal. I'm just glad it was intelligible."

Not that he was completely satisfied with the ordeal. Alicio wasn't the type to say his work was 'good enough'. There was always something he could have done better, explained more, said more eloquently.

Senator Provost's recounting of her first days as senator was a painful reminder of his own start. "Right," he said, nodding along.

"Why did you run?"

The question caught Alicio off-guard. In all the time he'd been a senator, not one of his colleagues had asked him why. His eyebrows shot up a titch, before resting back down. "Because this is where I can make the biggest impact."

"I used to work in relief. Designing refugee cities, setting up camps, advocacy... it was difficult work, but gratifying all the same. Still, it always felt like I was playing catch-up."
The more Alicio explained, the more his soft-spoken shell bled away, showing the compassion in his voice. "With a Senate distracted by wars and... profit, the Alliance's citizens were falling through the cracks, and there was only so much I could do to stem the bleeding."

"When Queen Faith asked me to step up, I did. Because I wanted to amend the system. Enact social change. Keep the Alliance's promises to it's people. Someone has to."
He frowned, a bitter look on his face. "But... Even here, I feel... powerless, sometimes." How much good could he do if his voice was only one, out of so many?

Alicio blinked, as if awakening from a trance. "I'm sorry, it's not exactly an inspiring outlook for our first meeting."

"Why do you ask?"

"I can imagine," Sonya chuckled quietly, "All those factors considered, your performance was quite admirable." The Count had maintained his poise on the floor, and evidently was persuasive enough to sway his fellow senators into passing the bill. Not bad at all for an unplanned first outing.

The question she had been leading towards seemed to catch the Organa by surprise. And as his answer came, Sonya reclined back, interlacing her fingers in front of her, as if watching some master plan come together. Not quite so grandiose as that, but she was hearing what she wanted to hear. Alicio had much to say, and all of it was genuine. They weren't the rehearsed dronings of a man looking to earn a few points of publicity and goodwill for his reelection. The passion that bled through couldn't be faked. They were the dreams of an aspiring statesman and public servant, who actually wanted to do what their kind were supposed to do all along.

A faint smile crept across her lips, and when Alicio inquired back to her, Sonya sat up straighter, "Because I agree with everything you just said," Her smile became more apparent now. Her eyes glinted with hopeful determination, "Alicio, there are few senators here that stand out to me. Even fewer that stand out for good reasons. You are very much the latter. Because in all that I have seen, there is one thing that remains constant,"

"You actually seem to care."

Sonya stood up from her seat, and gestured to the door, "Could I bother you to walk with me?"

As soon as he was finished talking, Alicio found a sheepish smile. There were plenty senators that would call him naïve for his overbearing political views. 'Being genuine' wasn't how the real world worked. One must show wit. Tact.

Wear one's heart in a lockbox, rather than the sleeve.

But Sonya didn't seem to have that reaction. Instead, she agreed. Alicio's embarrassment turned to interest. She agreed.

That was new.

"Could I bother you to walk with me?"

"You could," he responded, getting up after a moment, his curious expression having never receded. With a little unintended flourish, the Count gripped the cloak he'd placed on the back of his chair, and swung it around his shoulders, completely concealing his lower body. With quiet footsteps, the Alderaanian senator drifted from the room, beside the representative from Montitia.

"I do have one more complaint about city life," Alicio noted, after a few moments of introspective wandering. "No hiking trails. Cushioned carpet and blandly-painted walls don't clear the mind quite like a bit of fresh air." He smirked.

"You said you agreed with me." The Count let his curiosity shine through once more. "I haven't... met many people that have."

"So... Why? Why do you care?"
Then, he asked another question.

"Have you been told of the game yet, Sonya?"

Sonya walked out with Alicio in tow, meandering the empty senate halls towards an unspecified destination. The Count broke the silence with another comment on city life, which made her grin, "I can only imagine," There was an undercurrent of solemness to what she said. Different people had different thresholds for "fresh" air, "Montitia is something of a… Coruscant in the making. You know, if you take out all of the geopolitical relevance and influence," She smirked at her own jab, before continuing, "The planet hosts two mega cities. One in the east and one in the west, each nearly the size of a continent. The rest of Montitia is terribly underdeveloped. And yet despite the supposed prosperity the cities represent, you see the majority of people suffering the same inequalities."

"I grew up in the west city. And I was always jealous of the people living in the hinterlands. For all they dealt with, they were free to admire a clear sky, breathe unpolluted air, walk through green grass."
She looked at him now, "I care because caring is the right thing to do. We're civil servants, Your Excellency. Those with the power to help should do so. And I've seen firsthand what happens when they're more concerned with their own gains. I'm sure you have as well…" There was evidently more to her personal story that she was leaving unsaid at the moment, but there was a firmness to what was already voiced that one could not deny.

Sonya smirked again at Alicio's final question, "You'll have to be more specific of which 'game' you speak."

Alicio listened to Sonya's explanation of Montitia with raptured attention. He relished every chance he could to learn about planets he knew little of; not out of a desire to explore, as other hot-headed young adults like him might, but just so he could get a fuller view of the galaxy, her issues, and how he could help.

"That sounds like a poor situation," the Count offered, biting the inside of his lip in thought. He couldn't offer anything more substantial. Anything else would sound like poor platitudes.

Her continued thought, her 'reason', got him to nod his head in agreeance. "Believe me, I'm all too familiar with the more... self-invested parties, here on Coruscant." He was able to find a thin-lipped smile. "That's how I've always viewed it, too. We're not leaders. We're servants. All the power we have was given to us, by people that believed that we could help them. The least we can do is honor that belief."

"You'll have to be more specific of which 'game' you speak."

The Count twisted his lip sardonically. "I'm sure you've seen it already, if you haven't started playing yourself. Many members of the Assembly enjoy a game, I've found. Like... poker, or sabacc. It's a game of veiled intentions, keeping one's cards close to their chest. Betting on winning hands, sparring with political enemies, always trying to get the upper hand, chasing the jackpot..."

"People lie here. The cheat and bribe and spy. All in the pursuit of their goals, whether benign or not, at the expense of honesty, and true cooperation."

"For example... I might be lying. About everything I've told you so far. To convince you to my side, secure another vote for my next philanthropic vanity project."
He shrugged. "How would you know? And how do you defend yourself against that, without playing the game yourself?"

"That's been my struggle, ever since I was sworn in."

"That sounds like a poor situation,"

"Quite literally," Sonya deadpanned. Poverty was an epidemic on Montitia, and had been for some time. Now that she was in power, it was something she hoped to change. With any luck, she wouldn't have to do it alone. Alicio was already proving to be a good reach-out, "Unfortunate that intent does not always reflect reality."

She led him to a turbolift down one of the long halls, stepping inside and gesturing for him to join her, "Have you ever had the time to visit the lowest levels of the Senate Building?" Once they were both in, she would press the button, and send the elevator shooting down.

As the Count finished his explanation, Sonya wrung her hands, "Ah, yes. That game," She had presumed he was referring to such a thing, but hearing him express all his thoughts aloud granted her further insight. She smirked, "Very carefully. For instance I would not have come to you in the first place if I presumed your intentions to be little more than grandstanding. Always a slight risk I suppose, but you're not the only one to do your research."

Her smirk grew, "And from what I hear, you're engaged to a Jedi? I have to assume if one of them is by your side, then your beliefs really are genuine," There were many opinions to be had about Jedi. But for whatever faults they might have, Sonya considered them to at least strive for noble goals, if not always attain them. And they were much better at reading people's inner feelings than most.

"To be honest with you, I played a similar game for much of my life," Her smirk had now disappeared, "I worked hand-in-hand with the very people I now openly stand against. But my views never changed. I just put on a different face each morning, pretending like I didn't care or didn't notice. Until I finally had what I needed from them."

"Now? I think I'm quite done with games. The issues we fight for have been danced around for too long. Makes it too easy to sweep under the rug. Now, I'd shove it in their faces, if I had to. Make them confront what they have so often ignored,"
There was a sense of triumphant confidence that rose in her voice, only to deflate a moment later as she shrugged, "But I'm afraid that's easier said than done. Without proof, and let's be honest, without influence, my words fall on deaf ears."

There was a long pause, as she slowly turned to look at him, "…You were at the hearing regarding Denon, were you not?" A lot of deaf ears that day, it seemed.

Last edited:

"Have you ever had the time to visit the lowest levels of the Senate Building?"

"No, I haven't," he responded, glancing at the red-headed senator with yet more curiosity. "Most of my time here is spent in my office, or on the floor. I haven't done much exploring."

His challenge to Sonya was met with her reasoning. So she had looked him up prior to their meeting. And had heard of his recent engagement. That last part made him grin. "Okay, fine. But not every senator will have a Jedi fiancé to tell you if they're trustworthy."

Waiting in the elevator, Alicio kept a neutral expression. It was either that, or continue to switch between sympathetic understanding, and frustration towards Sonya's position. He was an unwilling player in the game, himself. The Count was all-too familiar with putting on a mask for necessity's sake.

When Denon was brought up, Alicio's mood visibly darkened. He took a moment to decide on his words, before sighing. "Yes, I was there. It should have been a simple matter, to investigate the Corporate Authorities of Denon. But instead... we turned a blind eye. And now, the situation on Denon is grim." His mind travelled to his last visit to the planet. "The unrest there now? The heavy hand of the Denonian government, falling upon it's populace? It's on the Assembly. We could have done something, and didn't."

Alicio pursed his lip. "I realize there were... extraneous factors likely affecting people's decisions that day, but the shortcomings of the Senate were on full display." The Count's stare could have melted through beskar.

"I realize you're new to Coruscant, but could I pick your brain for a moment? If I were to reintroduce a proposal for an investigation to the Senate, with irrefutable evidence of corporate wrong-doings, do you think it could pass? Or are we too far gone?"

"Okay, fine. But not every senator will have a Jedi fiancé to tell you if they're trustworthy."

"Fair enough," Sonya said, still smirking.

She fell silent as Alicio now spoke his mind, her mention of the Denon investigation garnering the kind of reaction she had anticipated and hoped for. Even more, in fact. The decision that day had a tangible impact on the Count, and his faith in the senate. "No need to be so tactful. We're not in mixed company," Sonya said, "I would call it one of the greatest modern failings of our esteemed institution." In its lengthy, colorful history, the Galactic Senate had many dark spots. Hopefully, that was as bad as it got in this era.

He shot her another question back, "Irrefutable?" She repeated, adjusting her sleeves, "If it is truly irrefutable, Your Excellency, I should certainly hope it would pass," Sonya chuckled derisively, "If not then I'm afraid we have wholly rejected the idea of a democracy. And my efforts are a day late and a credit short," If the evidence was there for the taking, and denied, it would be catastrophic for the supposed foundations of their government. Corruption so shameless as to be put on display for all to see. She peered at him a little more intently now, "…Why? Do you have something?"

The turbolift slowed to a stop, opening up directly to the top of a massive stone chamber, stadium-like in design. It was almost dead silent, as they were the only ones there right now, "This is the Old Senate Hall," Sonya said as she stepped out, her voice already reverberating softly off the walls, "Where the first of the Republic's assemblies were held, up until the end of the Exar Kun War."

"...Nowadays its little more than a tourist trap, but, the symbolism is still there if you look close enough."

Last edited:

"No need to be so tactful. We're not in mixed company."

Alicio expelled a bit of air from his nose, nodding to himself. He very much agreed with her following statement. "Alright. If I may speak more plainly... it's a chitshow." He didn't think he would ever be able to see the Senate as esteemed again, so shaken was his faith in the Assembly.

Her response to his question only continued his wry humor. "Refutal-resistant, at least." Her curious gaze, he met with a bit of caution, still. He had learned not to be so trusting, especially not with information that could get people killed. "I might," was how he left it, until the doors slid open, revealing a stone amphitheater.

Spinning on his heel, Alicio stepped quietly into the room, marveling at the ancient stonework. He ran a hand along a rock bench, guessing at it's history, at what influential figures of their past had let their voices be known here. "Do you think the resemblance to a gladitorial arena was intentional?," he noted, imagining that politics in the early days of the Old Republic shared quite a few similarities with a blood sport.

"Symbolism?" The Count turned his grey eyes on his fellow senator, already having a guess at what she meant.

Sonya nodded approvingly when the Count shared his uncensored thoughts. A chitshow indeed. There was still a noted uncertainty between them, well-placed, she thought. Alicio had express his lack of trust in the Senate already. Why would she be an inherent exception? "Well, if you did, it would certainly do well to have some like-minded senators backing you up from the get-go. And evidence or not, the rest will still need convincing to take another look at the Denon situation."

As they meandered out, she looked down at the rows of seats, the stone filled with history that spanned thousands of years. Alicio's question made her chuckle, "It wouldn't surprise me." Sonya walked further along, not answering his next question right away, until she spun around to face him, "Yes," She gestured broadly at their surroundings, "We stand at the origin point of galactic democracy itself. The Republic, the Alliance, they've never been perfect. But in a history rife with imperialists and despots and warlords, they've at least stood by the core principle that the best galaxy is a free galaxy."

"I didn't join the Senate just to shill out for the same corporatists I kicked off of my homeworld. They're part of the problem. The worst of them would gladly impose their own regime-like qualities on our fair nation if given the chance, all under the guise of capitalism and a free galaxy. Just like they've already done with Denon..."
She had a particular distaste for their membership. Hiding their avaricious nature under a veneer. At least the Empire was blunt enough to admit it was an empire. A corporate empire wasn't much better in her eyes, "Would you concur?"

Alicio let his eyes wander the Old Senate Hall, letting his imagination run as Sonya described the symbolism she'd envisioned. He could almost feel the hot breath of arguments shouted, cold silence as debates were held, and raucous cheering of friendships created in these halls.

The worst of them would gladly impose their own regime-like qualities on our fair nation if given the chance, all under the guise of capitalism and a free galaxy. Just like they've already done with Denon... Would you concur?"

There was a conviction to the Montitian senator's words, the same spark of fire that Alicio had shown not minutes earlier when speaking about the same subject. He started his response by raising an eyebrow at the senator.

"There was a particular point in history where the Republic didn't represent a free galaxy." He smiled thinly. "It's tied rather tightly to my family's history, you know. Bad actors, working for selfish gain, took control of the Senate, and twisted the galaxy to their own ends." His smile disappeared.

"They must be opposed, or they will continue to take ground. So... yes. I concur."

Alicio folded his hands behind his back, hiding his arms in the folds of his cape. "If only there were enterprising new senators in the Assembly willing to stand up to the bully. I imagine standing together would make more of an impact than if they tried standing apart."

"Would you concur?"

"There was a particular point in history where the Republic didn't represent a free galaxy..."

"Yes…" Sonya mirrored the Count's thin smile, "But they didn't bother calling themselves a republic for much longer after that, did they?" Regardless of such nuances, Alicio shared her sentiments. And when he threw the question back to her, Sonya's smile grew, "I would."

Exactly what she was looking for, "For all their influence, their kind are inherently focused on self-gain. We need not suffer the same weaknesses. Where they devolve to fighting over a bigger piece of the pie, we remain allies through and through," Perhaps that was where they could endure. Where they could one day surpass their competition. But the road was long, "It won't be easy." She admitted.

"But perhaps with us leading the charge, others will follow," Something to rally behind. Something to believe in. A unified front, "I would certainly look forward to working with you..." Sonya extended a hand.

Last edited:

The Senator from Montitia held out her hand to shake.

Alicio considered the gesture for a moment, unseen oceans of thought turbulent against his ice-grey eyes. He trusted too easily- that he knew. This could all be an elaborate ploy for Sonya to attain more power. She'd found him, after all. Even though the Count was the one to ultimately suggest it, she was probably working towards this handshake from the moment she'd stepped into his office.

He wasn't so naïve not to wonder if he was simply being used. But still, he dared to hope. That he wasn't alone in the Senate. That there were others who cared, like him. That Sonya cared.

"In that case..." That's what finally convinced him to reach out his hand, clasping her's with the weight of conviction.

"Let's lead the charge."

The Count seemed to weight the proposition for a few key moments. Not that Sonya could blame him. She was confident that he would be ally, but given the circumstances she would perhaps need to prove her sincerity through action more than through words. Fair enough. Careful was the name of the game, as she herself had said. He wanted to believe, and that was enough to bridge the gap tonight. Their hands clasped together, and Sonya grinned, "Let's."

After giving the old senate hall one final look back, she turned for the elevator, "We've a lot of work ahead of us. I think a good night's sleep is finally in order," Her smile turned wry for a moment, "Heading home?"

After that meaningful handshake, Alicio turned towards the elevator with Sonya, giving her a curious look as she asked about his plans. "I... wouldn't mind headed home for the night," he finally said, pressing the button to bring the two of them back from whence they came.

"I was researching when you found me, I can do that back at my apartment."

As he waited, he puckered his lips in thought, staring at the wall. "So, where do you think we should lead our first charge? I do have something on Denon. Something I've had to hold onto, until the right time. I... That is most pressing in my mind." That day had ruined his faith in the Aliiance. Maybe if they could undo it, he'd reclaim his faith again.

"Do you think that's where our efforts are best served? Should we start... smaller?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom