Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laryngospasm

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
No Asterion, no Connor or Kaan. No character issue - this is real life!

It's out there I know, but does anyone have, or have had, the issue known as Laryngospasm?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gerd/expert-answers/laryngospasm/faq-20058269

Laryngospasm (luh-RING-go-spaz-um) is a brief spasm of the vocal cords that temporarily makes it difficult to speak or breathe. The onset of vocal cord spasms is usually sudden, and the breathing difficulty can be alarming.

Causes can be anything from anxiety to stress or problems with reflux.

I've started to have this for just over a week now after a dry cough. Now when I cough my throat closes up a little and it's harder to catch my breath.

Worse, is for the past 3-4 nights I'm woken up at anytime from sleep effectively chocking. The windpipe closes up and I can't breath, making gasping noises as I try to fight for breath. It lasts seconds but feels a lifetime, where you feel you are suffocating and going to die.

It's the scariest thing I've had happen to me, and now it's getting uncomfortable to know when I go to sleep I may have this happen to me again.

Doctors next week (earliest appointment) and been advised by my GP to try a de-inflammation spray to help at night.

Basically just wondered if anyone had, or sadly has this, to know if there's any help you can give or knowledge if and when it will go.

Cheers guys. :)

I had it for a month right after my 20th birthday and what helped me was a deinflamation inhaler and a pill to reduce swelling. [member="Chris Gelderd"] probably the most sleepless and worst month of my life.

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Coci Heavenshield"] It's THE worst feeling at night. It's like...I can't describe. *shudder*

If you can't get your breath, you will pass out but when you do the airways open up, but luckily I've not had that happen yet.... I guess that's something to make positive!

Hopefully it will pass, or any nerve damage in the vocal chords will repair, but I'm sure the docs will help. Thanks Co-Co. :)

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Darth Erebos"] Wow, I know how you must have felt.

I will try and get some de-inflammation spray tonight from the chemist on the way home and see if that helps at night.

Did you find out what caused it, and how/when it went away or what cured it?

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Braith Achlys"] Yikes, that must be tough too. I had read it can be linked to asthma, but more dangerous. Again, I've no idea of the trigger but I'm still looking and trying to find a chemist open near me to find some throat spray.

Jan VonFowl

Part-Time Party Crasher
[member="Chris Gelderd"]

Had it for a little while when my acid reflux was flaring up. My sympathy.

Darth Erebos said:
deinflamation inhaler and a pill to reduce swelling.
^ This, and as much cold anything as you can lay your hands on to drink.

Skylar Ichor

S
[member="Chris Gelderd"]

These conditions may include:
  • Asthma
  • Exercise-induced asthma
  • Other types of vocal cord dysfunction
I have the top two causes, but not this disease. I'll pray for you!

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Jan VonFowl"] [member="Skylar Ichor"] Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice/words. Picked up some Difflam liquid (didn't have the spray) to use every 3hrs which should help any swelling, inflammation or pain. Next dose in 3hrs before bed - also not eating anything from now on-wards and just drinking water.

We will see what happens through the night!

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Darth Erebos"] Really? Wow - how odd. I read it could be nerve damage after a cough or something so if they repair themselves in time it would heal itself.

It happened last night but was no way as severe as before - don't know if subconsciously I was ready so didn't panic, or the fact I drank water all night and took special oral rinse to reduce throat inflammation could be helping.

Man, who invented this bloody laryngospasm anyway. I've got a few words to say! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom